Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 08:16:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl and Duff interview this sunday for Brazilian TV (now with Izzy's response)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl and Duff interview this sunday for Brazilian TV (now with Izzy's response)  (Read 63694 times)
BigMike322
Opening Act

« Reply #160 on: September 08, 2016, 12:49:47 AM »

I guess I'll start the discussion on this board.   My thoughts are

We don't know the particulars.  Was Izzy interested in doing the whole tour?  Did he want to do just certain shows?  Or just make two song cameos like Addler?  We don't know.  Just like Axl has a bad rep for all his past actions, Izzy has a bad rep for not being the most reliable. 
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #161 on: September 08, 2016, 02:05:32 AM »

I guess I'll start the discussion on this board.   My thoughts are

We don't know the particulars.  Was Izzy interested in doing the whole tour?  Did he want to do just certain shows?  Or just make two song cameos like Addler?  We don't know.  Just like Axl has a bad rep for all his past actions, Izzy has a bad rep for not being the most reliable. 
I like Izzy a lot,but who will have trust in Izzy Stradlin Huh
He is cool guy but he can quit the tour anywhere he wants
JimmyTsou
Opening Act

« Reply #162 on: September 08, 2016, 04:41:11 AM »

Izzy's latest tweet

Although I am quite disappointed, I'm pretty sure it's just one side of the whole situation. I believe there's much more to the story, the truth is usually somewhere in between.

Let's see how it goes...

slash&axl
Rocker

« Reply #163 on: September 08, 2016, 04:45:21 AM »

This reminds me a bit of the Kiss reunion where Paul and Gene made the case that they had been out touring for years and still promoting the band name while Peter Criss had been doing nothing. But a case can be made that Izzy did write a lot of Gnr songs too. I also couldn't see Izzy learning CD songs. Gnr are a big band with a lot of members it's less straight forward than the Bill ward fiasco.
Also I really hope this doesn't stop the band doing more press.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #164 on: September 08, 2016, 04:53:18 AM »

I think it's as we thought- things aren't perhaps quite as rosy behind the scenes as they have been made to appear!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Soori
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #165 on: September 08, 2016, 05:01:47 AM »

Maybe Axl could have said 'We just couldn't agree to terms with Izzy; we would love to have him here' Also I think its a lot more complicated then anyone can imagine. I don't think Axl was rude in anyway towards Izzy. He has played with GNR here and there since 2006.
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #166 on: September 08, 2016, 05:06:14 AM »

I really enjoyed the interview. Axl looks great. Duff is entertaining and smart as usual. I would like to see an interview with Duff and Slash and get their prospective. Clearly Duff acquiesced to Axl so it would interesting to see Duff and Slash together speaking as equals.  If that is not permissible or possible then an interview with Axl and Slash would be interesting, but I am not holding my breath for that to happen.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #167 on: September 08, 2016, 05:08:46 AM »

^ That approach makes sense. Apparently, they all have "people" who  do the talking for the band members. It seems hard to get one on one between the principals. I believe that if they could talk directly a lot of this nonsense could be avoided or mitigated.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #168 on: September 08, 2016, 05:08:49 AM »

I'd say there is a definite case for Axl getting more, due to the fact he's kept this band going all these years etc, but seems odd the 'loot' wouldn't be split equally really, if Izzy was intended to do full shows, for the entire tour, which I sort of don't believe would have been the case- largely as that sort of commitment seems a bit out of character.

What a shame though that once again money becomes an arguing point.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #169 on: September 08, 2016, 05:32:34 AM »

"How to be a Communist in a Capitalist band" by Izzy Stradlin

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #170 on: September 08, 2016, 05:43:53 AM »

As I stated in the other thread, you could tell that something was off by Duff's facial expression when the question was asked. There are three sides to every story. With that being said, I kinda think Izzy shouldn't have used Twitter. He hasn't always been reliable.
Executioner
Rocker

« Reply #171 on: September 08, 2016, 06:06:11 AM »

Offering Duff more money is a an absolute fkn major slap in the face if this is the case,Izzy along with Axl was the main force behind GnR ,after reading Slashes book Axl was very fond of his contracts and basically relegating others in the band to hired hand's,Izzy was right to turn it down as founding member and main songwriter he deserves an equal slice of the pie  at the  very least.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #172 on: September 08, 2016, 07:10:28 AM »

Offering Duff more money is a an absolute fkn major slap in the face if this is the case,Izzy along with Axl was the main force behind GnR ,after reading Slashes book Axl was very fond of his contracts and basically relegating others in the band to hired hand's,Izzy was right to turn it down as founding member and main songwriter he deserves an equal slice of the pie  at the  very least.

Like any other job you get paid what you are worth.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Factory Girl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #173 on: September 08, 2016, 07:13:55 AM »

If he's talking about splitting the money equally, of course they were considering having him for the entire tour. It would make no sense splitting equally if he was only supposed to show up at a few shows.

Izzy is not doing anything wrong. Axl implied he isn't there because he's not reliable, and that's not true. It was a money problem. Just imagine how many messages he's receiving since that interview! And the guy can't even set the record straight, tell his version? Really? So everyone thinks you're not there because you're unreliable and you should just not say anything?

GNR has not the best track record regarding puntualitty, commitment etc and the tour is going just fine. If you're going to judge Izzy by his behavior in the past, do it to everyone else and this tour would not exist. Izzy is not a kid anymore, he's sober. I'm sure if he signed the contract, he would do it. He's not crazy to just check out for many reasons, but I'll just say that he would have a few legal problems if he did that.

Would be great to see him there, but the casual fan doesn't care as long as they see Axl and Slash. I don't think Izzy is right and the others are wrong, I just think it's sad they couldn't do the right thing, doesn't matter the audience perception, and get an agreement good enough to everyone so we could have a reunion.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #174 on: September 08, 2016, 07:30:25 AM »

If he's talking about splitting the money equally, of course they were considering having him for the entire tour. It would make no sense splitting equally if he was only supposed to show up at a few shows.

Izzy is not doing anything wrong. Axl implied he isn't there because he's not reliable, and that's not true. It was a money problem. Just imagine how many messages he's receiving since that interview! And the guy can't even set the record straight, tell his version? Really? So everyone thinks you're not there because you're unreliable and you should just not say anything?

I think it can be both, depending on who's perspective you're looking at things from.

Axl likely does view it as a reliability issue.  And you're not going to pay (or ask to participate in a "full" way) someone who's reliability you question as much as a guy who you think you can depend on to be there every single show. So you explain that, offer him less (with the mind that it will cost MORE to replace him if he flakes OR with the outlook that he can sort of prove he'll show up, with an increased role down the road in mind).  If you ask Axl, that all goes to reliability.

Izzy likely looks at it as a monetary issue.  Slash and Duff were getting cut in as equal splits (or more equal...whatever) while Izzy was being offered less (and, I still think, a lesser guest role...at least to start...until he could prove his dependability/commitment). Izzy knows his own mind and heart, so if you ask him, it's a money issue.

Neither guy is wrong.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #175 on: September 08, 2016, 07:33:54 AM »

Read Axl's quote again (thanks for the transcription GeorgeSteele).  What I heard Axl imply was that there was an ongoing negotiation with Izzy about the terms of the contract and Izzy was flip-flopping on the terms he was or wasn't agreeing to which as we now know included the monies.

"And with Izzy... that's just something that I can't really.... describe. That's to say, I don't really know what to say about Izzy. It's like you could have a conversation and think it's one way and the next day it's another way. And I'm not trying to take any shots at Izzy, it's just that his thing is kind of his thing. Whatever that is, y'know."

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #176 on: September 08, 2016, 07:38:42 AM »

Izzy also flaked on the eve of a major tour, and album release...and has repeatedly said things that make it seem like he has no interest in undergoing a huge tour, or being involved in GnR on a day to day basis.

Now, maybe things changed with this reunion, and Izzy feels differently now.  Fair enough.

But you have the rest of the band worried about what happens if Izzy flakes again...and what it would have meant if they'd advertised his involvement and not shown up given the implications of this tour, and it's importance to GnR.  I don't think it's overstating to say that, if this had crashed and burned, Coma would have been more than just a song title.

So I think there's a certain amount of responsibility to protect that, and to keep in mind the costs of replacing Izzy short notice, and then the "costs" in terms of reputation of him potentially flaking out.  Even if it didn't come to be.

I said in the post above this one: I suspect he was offered a guest role for a bunch of shows, and so less money than Slash and Duff were getting.  But even if he was offered less for an every day role, I'd say FOR THIS TOUR, that would be fair.  I'm not talking about paying him paupers wages, here, but I also don't think expecting him to accept a lesser share than Duff, given comparable reliability, is a "slap in the face".

I get it: People wanted to see him up there. Me too.  But I can see both sides of the coin on this one.  I LOVE Izzy.  I think he was one of the most valuable (invaluable, really) songwriting pieces to this band.  But I've also listened to what Izzy has said over the years, too.   I think if Izzy honestly expected an equal share in all this..then that's another case of Izzy being Izzy.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #177 on: September 08, 2016, 07:39:56 AM »

Read Axl's quote again (thanks for the transcription GeorgeSteele).  What I heard Axl imply was that there was an ongoing negotiation with Izzy about the terms of the contract and Izzy was flip-flopping on the terms he was or wasn't agreeing to which as we now know included the monies.

"And with Izzy... that's just something that I can't really.... describe. That's to say, I don't really know what to say about Izzy. It's like you could have a conversation and think it's one way and the next day it's another way. And I'm not trying to take any shots at Izzy, it's just that his thing is kind of his thing. Whatever that is, y'know."

It's a good point.  I've been reading that quote another way, but I think your interpretation is an interesting read.

Together again,
Ringoturtle
Headliner

« Reply #178 on: September 08, 2016, 07:41:03 AM »

They all got their points. Izzy has the right to claim equal loot because he is an old buddy and founding member who did write many songs. BUT he isn't the big drawing factor like Axl/Slash (and Duff to some extent). Plus, Axl probably thinks he deserves more money because he was always part of GNR throughout all the years. Grey area I suppose.
Cann understand Izzy felt the need of "setting the record straight" because Axl painted him as an unreliable character even thougjh money was the main problem. I think from Izzys point of view, Axl came across (I learnt the term on that forum) passive aggressiv. Pretty ironical.

Again, grey area there. I think it's more about equality than it is about money.

All my statements represent MY OPINION. If not, I'll say so by posting references or the like
Executioner
Rocker

« Reply #179 on: September 08, 2016, 08:12:03 AM »

Izzy also flaked on the eve of a major tour, and album release...and has repeatedly said things that make it seem like he has no interest in undergoing a huge tour, or being involved in GnR on a day to day basis.

Now, maybe things changed with this reunion, and Izzy feels differently now.  Fair enough.

But you have the rest of the band worried about what happens if Izzy flakes again...and what it would have meant if they'd advertised his involvement and not shown up given the implications of this tour, and it's importance to GnR.  I don't think it's overstating to say that, if this had crashed and burned, Coma would have been more than just a song title.

So I think there's a certain amount of responsibility to protect that, and to keep in mind the costs of replacing Izzy short notice, and then the "costs" in terms of reputation of him potentially flaking out.  Even if it didn't come to be.

I said in the post above this one: I suspect he was offered a guest role for a bunch of shows, and so less money than Slash and Duff were getting.  But even if he was offered less for an every day role, I'd say FOR THIS TOUR, that would be fair.  I'm not talking about paying him paupers wages, here, but I also don't think expecting him to accept a lesser share than Duff, given comparable reliability, is a "slap in the face".

I get it: People wanted to see him up there. Me too.  But I can see both sides of the coin on this one.  I LOVE Izzy.  I think he was one of the most valuable (invaluable, really) songwriting pieces to this band.  But I've also listened to what Izzy has said over the years, too.   I think if Izzy honestly expected an equal share in all this..then that's another case of Izzy being Izzy.
In fairness Izzy left because he couldn't handle Axl's behavior ,showing up late or not at all ,attacking fan's,inciting riots ,being a control freak the list is endless,he never flaked he left the band when the  over blown soap opera got way out of hand , he just wanted to get up and play as did Duff and Slash but they put up with Axl's behavior because they didn't have the balls to walk away and  maybe wanted to see it through until the wheels fell off which they did.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: