Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 08:46:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  [Updates] August 3rd, 2016 Arlington, TX @ AT&T Stadium
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Updates] August 3rd, 2016 Arlington, TX @ AT&T Stadium  (Read 22902 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2016, 10:16:39 AM »

Here Today... Gone To Hell!
AT&T Stadium
htgth - Heaven's door

« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 12:55:45 PM by GypsySoul » Logged

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2016, 10:32:13 AM »

As for me, it was the best GNR concert I have seen. Slash makes all the difference. There simply is no comparison between a GNR with and without him. He nailed every solo and played with great emotion and precision. He really makes the show. Axl is clearly re-energized by Duff and Slash and sings with passion and at times controlled anger. His voice could not be better. Just superb.

Great review, but I think this passage really nails it.

I have been listening to boots of this tour constantly. Last time that happened for me was 2006.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2016, 04:17:02 PM »

Here's my review:

Band went on at 10pm, played until 12:45. It's a bit hard to say exactly how many people were there because the stadium is so huge. They blocked off about one-third and the rest was almost full. I would say conservatively at least 50,000, but I would not be surprised if the actual number was closer to 60,000. There was a lot of fucking people there, that is for sure. I was impressed by how many people showed up on a Wednesday and nearly everyone stayed until the end. On a work night. As I left everyone around me was saying "that was epic" or "that was awesome" so clearly the show was a hit.

As for me, it was the best GNR concert I have seen. Slash makes all the difference. There simply is no comparison between a GNR with and without him. He nailed every solo and played with great emotion and precision. He really makes the show. Axl is clearly re-energized by Duff and Slash and sings with passion and at times controlled anger. His voice could not be better. Just superb. Did not miss a note. Very strong voice. I haven't seen a show where his voice was bad but this was by far the strongest and best. He was very active as usual. Not much talking and no rant. When the band came on "late" I thought we might get a rant but no. He seemed to be entertained by a few Texas beauties in the front row.

The Appetite songs were the best received, followed by UYI songs and then Patience. People did not seem to know the CD songs because it was a casual fan base, at least those who were around me on the floor.

Highlights for me were Civil War, Estranged, Double Talking (first time live for me), and YCBM, which is very powerful live. Axl absolutely killed This I love, never heard him sing it with emotion. It was a real treasure and highlight. Slash is masterful on the guitar on this song, it's like rock heaven. I also liked the addition of a train noise to start Nightrain instead of a whistle. Cool. I also was happy to get Sorry instead of OTGM, which is a fave but I really like Sorry too. I personally feel uncomfortable  with the song though because I always thought it was about Slash and now Slash is playing it and killing the solo.

Lowlights are that the stadium is so big that it simply is not a very good venue for a concert. It is cavernous and there was a detectable echo at times (at least to me). Further, I don't know if it was the mix or the stadium but certain songs were basically unlistenable. Coma was muddled and unclear. You could not hear the melody or rhythm for Better. There were almost no vocals for NR.

But even those shortcomings could not mask that GNR is on fire and is clearly reminiscent of the early 1990s with the energy, power, and emotion of Axl's voice. It was a real privilege to be in attendance and the price of my ticket was worth every penny.

Other random thoughts: I love the shooting guns and blood dripping from roses during the Intro. Not much interaction between Axl and Slash. The pic-a-trons are really excellent quality and a real help. I was close up but I could see every minute detail on the guitar and on their faces with the pictures. My friend, who was a ways back said it was the main way he watched the concert.

About periscope not working: my wife told me before the concert that she read GNR is trying a technology that prevents it from working. I did not give it much thought because I don't periscope but  based on the comments here I guess it is true. How odd.

Summary: fantastic show, fantastic band, fantastic experience, so glad I was there.

The Star Telegram review guestimated 35,000 but that guy clearly needs his eyes checked if he thinks  there was less than 45-50k. There were only a few rows here and there empty and a few sections in 400s not full. Definitely not nearly 30,000 empty seats. I noticed that too on some songs. I don't know if it was Slash's guitar too loud or the acoustics but Axl was drowned out during certain parts of some songs. It wasn't too bad where i was located.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2016, 04:49:34 PM »

Couple of reviews.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/music/guns-n-roses-were-on-good-behavior-for-their-atandt-stadium-reunion-8560969

http://www.dfw.com/2016/08/04/1125794_guns-n-roses-brings-concert-of.html

The guy from the Observer i literally want to reach through my computer and slap. Why do they have to focus on negative things that don't even exist! Axl and Slash are getting along just fine and we've seen plenty of evidence of it at these shows.
MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2016, 06:36:30 PM »

Any videos of Arlington's "Sorry"?

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2016, 07:53:40 PM »

Here's review from Dallas Morning News. The guy is a traditional jerk who never says anything good about anyone, especially Guns, so this review is probably wonderful in his opinion. I typically disagree with every word he writes.

http://www.guidelive.com/music/2016/08/04/guns-n-roses-kept-distance-still-delivered-hard-rocking-show

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2016, 07:56:40 PM »

check here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNpCEYW2oJiOGogfbwxdh5g/videos

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
Doofey
Headliner

« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2016, 08:16:23 PM »

Here's review from Dallas Morning News. The guy is a traditional jerk who never says anything good about anyone, especially Guns, so this review is probably wonderful in his opinion. I typically disagree with every word he writes.

http://www.guidelive.com/music/2016/08/04/guns-n-roses-kept-distance-still-delivered-hard-rocking-show

That's the second review that has acted like the band seemed distant from each other? Since you went, did you notice that? Did they seem upset or unhappy?
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2016, 08:35:25 PM »

That's the second review that has acted like the band seemed distant from each other? Since you went, did you notice that? Did they seem upset or unhappy?

I don't remember them ever interacting much, except for the occasional moment. When they came up Slash's deal was they he never talked and usually you couldn't even see his face behind the hair. That was just part of the mystique of the band. Any critic expecting a bunch of Oprah-style 'emotional sharing' is not even familiar with the basic culture of the band.

I've seen enough.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2016, 09:21:06 PM »

If you go to this periscope page:
http://www.periscope.tv/UltraViolet_80/1BRJjkrQMddxw?

click on the second video link down (on the left side) that reads 54:19
scroll in the video to the 38:00 minute mark which will be where Sorry starts.  Don't panic that it's from a distance.  She focuses on the video screens at the 38:44 mark.

Sound n' video are excellent quality!!!

Much Thanks again to Maritza@UltraViolet_80 and all of last night's periscopers!!!  you guys rock!!! headbanger

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2016, 09:27:51 PM »

I don't know what these critic and i use that term loosely are expecting. It's a big stage, do they expect them to be huddled next to eachother all night singing kumbaya?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2016, 09:33:09 PM »

Another review with the attendance guess way off. There was no way in hell there were 20,000 empty seats.
Factory Girl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2016, 09:37:36 PM »

I don't know what these critic and i use that term loosely are expecting. It's a big stage, do they expect them to be huddled next to eachother all night singing kumbaya?

I've read a few critics saying that, including a few guys from Rolling Stone. I was listening to their podcast and one of them was very skeptical about the band's relationship. He thought they were too bureaucratic, no interaction...
He said other bad things too. They went to Metlife.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2016, 09:50:47 PM »

I think... these people have probably only seen one or maybe two shows. Most of us here have been following closely from day one (April 1), both video/pictures onstage and offstage, and we get a different vibe than the reporters because of that.

What I'm saying is I sort of understand their arguments, but since I know their view is probably based on a lesser degree of information than what we're possessing, I'm positive they're in the wrong.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2016, 09:56:13 PM »

Off the topic of the critics, did anyone see any merchandise stand with the skyline bullet t-shirts? The one i was at didn't even have it hanging on the wall. I really wanted that one. I guess i will have to buy it on the website.
MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2016, 10:01:39 PM »

If you go to this periscope page:
http://www.periscope.tv/UltraViolet_80/1BRJjkrQMddxw?

click on the second video link down (on the left side) that reads 54:19
scroll in the video to the 38:00 minute mark which will be where Sorry starts.  Don't panic that it's from a distance.  She focuses on the video screens at the 38:44 mark.

Sound n' video are excellent quality!!!

Much Thanks again to Maritza@UltraViolet_80 and all of last night's periscopers!!!  you guys rock!!! headbanger

Thanks Gypsy!!

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2016, 10:25:45 PM »

I'm modifying my statement. I'm not impressed with any of the reviews. It's REALLY bad writing. No offense to the people in Dallas, but these reporters would not last in the NJ/NYC area, especially with my employer.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 10:33:51 PM by draguns » Logged
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2016, 10:27:04 PM »

I agree with the comments of Tim and JohnnyBlood. It is hard to understand what expectations are. Are they supposed to hug and kiss onstage? You have to remember that the band is somewhere around 2/3 of the way through the tour, playing about the same set list every night. So how much spontaneity can there be? Plus there are so many variables. The weather was over 100 degrees in Dallas on the 3rd. Maybe they were tired. Maybe they did not sleep much from New Orleans. Maybe someone doesn't feel well. Maybe someone is just in a bad mood. Whatever.

The best we can hope for is energy, passion, and professionalism which is what was delivered. I 100% disagree with the critic who said Slash was going through the motions. That comment is ignorant.

The members of the Cult that opened did not have a lot of interaction or physical contact and no one is saying there is discord. Further, I've seen Slash with Myles a bunch of times and Slash is always quiet and stays to himself on the right, doing his job and playing brilliantly. The only difference between that and now is that toward the end of the show Slash says a few sentences. Now he doesn't, or didn't. So the net loss is like 2 minutes of talking.

So to answer your question: no, there was not a lot of interaction between Axl and Slash, nor between Duff and Axl, but it did not matter. I did not see any overt sign of displeasure or being pissed off. Axl seemed to be in a good mood. Slash was Slash, doing his job. I think if there was discord or tension it would have been obvious one way or another.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2016, 10:42:54 PM »

I'm modifying my statement. I'm not impressed with any of the reviews. It's REALLY bad writing. No offense to the people in Dallas, but these reporters would not last in the NJ/NYC area, especially with my employer.
No need to apologize. These so called critics from the Dallas news and the Observer rarely say anything positive about any concert locally.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2016, 10:48:50 PM »

I agree with the comments of Tim and JohnnyBlood. It is hard to understand what expectations are. Are they supposed to hug and kiss onstage? You have to remember that the band is somewhere around 2/3 of the way through the tour, playing about the same set list every night. So how much spontaneity can there be? Plus there are so many variables. The weather was over 100 degrees in Dallas on the 3rd. Maybe they were tired. Maybe they did not sleep much from New Orleans. Maybe someone doesn't feel well. Maybe someone is just in a bad mood. Whatever.

The best we can hope for is energy, passion, and professionalism which is what was delivered. I 100% disagree with the critic who said Slash was going through the motions. That comment is ignorant.

The members of the Cult that opened did not have a lot of interaction or physical contact and no one is saying there is discord. Further, I've seen Slash with Myles a bunch of times and Slash is always quiet and stays to himself on the right, doing his job and playing brilliantly. The only difference between that and now is that toward the end of the show Slash says a few sentences. Now he doesn't, or didn't. So the net loss is like 2 minutes of talking.

So to answer your question: no, there was not a lot of interaction between Axl and Slash, nor between Duff and Axl, but it did not matter. I did not see any overt sign of displeasure or being pissed off. Axl seemed to be in a good mood. Slash was Slash, doing his job. I think if there was discord or tension it would have been obvious one way or another.
Axl was even joking with Slash prior to PC. He made a joke that he tuned Slash's guitar and that's why it was out of tune. Of course no review mentioned that light hearted moment. These critics go into the show knowing they're gonna rip a band apart already and write whatever they want.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 10:50:35 PM by tim_m » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: