Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 08:55:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  [Updates] July 20th, 2016 Foxborough, MA @ Gillette Stadium (Night #2)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Updates] July 20th, 2016 Foxborough, MA @ Gillette Stadium (Night #2)  (Read 44927 times)
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #140 on: July 21, 2016, 11:05:46 AM »

So long as CITR is in place of another CD song swapped out, I don't see the harm.

But 3 CD songs should be the absolute max.  They aren't moving 40,000 to 50,000 tickets to hear a plethora of CD tunes.

Get real.

On the flip side, they also aren't moving 40,000 to 50,000 tickets to hear Perfect Crime...those tickets are being moved by "The Greatest Hits"....However, I do agree 3 CD songs are sufficient. Lies is basically not heard from at this point....which is suprising.

Oh well, I am all good one way or the other.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2016, 11:07:10 AM »

I don't think Madagascar fits Slash's style at all. Maybe he could do something good on the solo, but the whole song is too "modern" for him, I guess.

I think the same way about Rhiad, IRS, If The World, etc.

I think the CD songs that fit Slash's style have all been played, except for Street of Dreams.

Agree with all of this.

The only one I could see getting worked in with Slash is IRS from the list above... I think he could add his 'thing' to that song.
gunsbetterthanever
Rocker

« Reply #142 on: July 21, 2016, 11:08:16 AM »

For those complaining about not hearing the exact songs they want, just go to the bathroom then and get a drink.  2.5 hours is plenty.  Rarely does anyone get all the songs they want at any show.  

Whatever they play is certainly good enough.  

Chinese Songs are SLASH approved so to me they now are part of the catalog.  Had slash been on that album, this would be a moot point.

....Hey Yeah.....Are ya Ready?
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #143 on: July 21, 2016, 11:10:21 AM »

I don't think Madagascar fits Slash's style at all. Maybe he could do something good on the solo, but the whole song is too "modern" for him, I guess.

I think the same way about Rhiad, IRS, If The World, etc.

I think the CD songs that fit Slash's style have all been played, except for Street of Dreams.

Agree with all of this.

The only one I could see getting worked in with Slash is IRS from the list above... I think he could add his 'thing' to that song.

Maybe. But I don't really like IRS. Its structure is weird, with the heavy parts intercalated with the slow parts. And the lyrics are silly.

It's got a great chorus, though
matty29
Headliner

« Reply #144 on: July 21, 2016, 11:12:54 AM »

Amazing show last night.  I talked to Frank for a quick second.  He was down in the pit by himself for the Kravitz set.  Very cool.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #145 on: July 21, 2016, 11:13:36 AM »

So long as CITR is in place of another CD song swapped out, I don't see the harm.

But 3 CD songs should be the absolute max.  They aren't moving 40,000 to 50,000 tickets to hear a plethora of CD tunes.

Get real.

I think those 40 to 50k are there to see the "Big 3" and they're willing to grant some leeway on the setlist, largely, as long as it includes a good sampling of the GH.

Could they do a show playing CD start to finish and have the crowd leave happy? No, probably not.  But then, I think that's true of a good number of bands with a decent sized catalog.

And yes...before anyone interjects, they COULD do a show playing AFD from start to finish and everyone would go home smiling.  If you're trying to say CD isn't AFD..no fucking shit. But neither are any of their other albums.

But 3 or 4 songs a night out of close to 30? Yeah, I can't see the bitching.  
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 11:15:30 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #146 on: July 21, 2016, 11:14:46 AM »

Another Catcher........

https://youtu.be/7KVu5rBcuok

Amazing that they're going to keep adding to the setlist as the tour progresses. It's pretty official that once we hear them sound checking a song, it's debut is coming.

Slash was fucking amazing on Catcher. Just. Fucking. Amazing!!!
Agreed, loved his ending solo.

4 songs isnt a "plethora". Really. And ever thought that the band thinks its actually a good idea to expose those 50k people to these songs now?

dmathski
Rocker

« Reply #147 on: July 21, 2016, 11:26:43 AM »

The fact that Slash and Duff want to play "Chinese" songs trumps whatever any fan opinions are on what a  "true" Guns N Roses song is, I'm pretty sure they win that argument.   The complaining never ceases to amaze me, the setlist is perfect!  "Coma" is being played on a nightly basis...a NIGHTLY basis!  Seriously now, let that sink in.

I am sure most of you here love hearing the "Chinese" songs.  For obvious reasons, this tour it has brought a lot of the old fans out of the woodwork, and when they play the songs from CD it definitely feels like a treat for the diehards who continued to follow the band over the years.  The most exciting points of the shows I have been to so far were "Coma" and watching Slash's take on the "Chinese" material.  

How do we know Slash and Duff "want" to play CD songs?

August 3, 1991  Inglewood, CA. The Forum

September 30, 1992    San Diego, CA. Jack Murphy Stadium

December 31, 2001  Las Vegas, NV. The Joint

August 22, 2016 San Diego, CA. Qualcomm Sstadium
uzisuicide2002
VIP

DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE!?!?!?!

« Reply #148 on: July 21, 2016, 11:31:06 AM »

A little video of catcher in the Rye that i got from last night https://youtu.be/tSZ1T8HDpiE

GN'R Boston 02
GN'R NYC 06
GN'R Mass 06
GN'R NJ 11
VR Mass 05
GN'R Foxboro 16
GN'R Boston 17
VR Mass 07
Slash Boston 10
Steven Adler NYC 11
Slash Foxwoods 14
Slash Providence 15
Whigged
Opening Act

« Reply #149 on: July 21, 2016, 11:32:12 AM »

The fact that Slash and Duff want to play "Chinese" songs trumps whatever any fan opinions are on what a  "true" Guns N Roses song is, I'm pretty sure they win that argument.   The complaining never ceases to amaze me, the setlist is perfect!  "Coma" is being played on a nightly basis...a NIGHTLY basis!  Seriously now, let that sink in.

I am sure most of you here love hearing the "Chinese" songs.  For obvious reasons, this tour it has brought a lot of the old fans out of the woodwork, and when they play the songs from CD it definitely feels like a treat for the diehards who continued to follow the band over the years.  The most exciting points of the shows I have been to so far were "Coma" and watching Slash's take on the "Chinese" material.  

Didn't Axl say they took the initiative to learn them?
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #150 on: July 21, 2016, 11:35:23 AM »

How do you know they don't?

We know because a) they're playing them (and playing the fuck out of them, I might add) and b) they're rolling out more of them....some which weren't even listed on the "alternates" setlist.

If this was some sort of concession, you'd think that you'd get the 2 songs they'd been playing (Better and CD), and nothing else ever added to the set list from CD.

Face it: They want to play them.  I know some folks have a hard time accepting that, but...I don't really think, at this point, you can actually come up with a good reason to deny it.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #151 on: July 21, 2016, 11:36:12 AM »

Didn't Axl say they took the initiative to learn them?

He sure did.  Said they came in, and he was expecting them to have to learn them...and they came in knowing them already.

Together again,
MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #152 on: July 21, 2016, 11:41:31 AM »

Setlist breakdown:

AFD:         8
Illusions:   8  (9 if Don't Cry makes encore)
Lies:         1  (if Patience makes encore)
TSI:          1  (Duff)
CD:           4
Covers:     1  (Seeker as of late; Whole Lotta Rosie, Riff Raff, earlier this year)

Chinese songs are perfectly placed to not kill the mood for those not familiar with them. Before anybody has a chance to wonder what Chinese Democracy is, Welcome to the Jungle makes them forget. CD is an all out rocker that Slash has a blast playing. He gets youthful spinning around while jamming to CD. He obviously has a blast rocking out to CD.

This I Love seems to be the only song where people fall off a bit. That song is for us, the lovers of the Chinese songs.

Better should be appreciated by all. What a fuckin masterpiece.

Sorry & Catcher in the Rye are for us. US!!! And for Axl.

Does anybody here have any idea if Slash & Duff enjoy putting their spin on Chinese songs? Anybody?? No. We have no idea. My guess is that Slash takes it upon himself to practice Sorry and then CITR. My guess is that he lets Axl know when he's ready to give it a shot live.

Beggars Can't Be Choosers, Bitchers Gonna Bitch, Whiners Gonna Whine, The Pursuit of UNhappiness, all come to mind when I see Chinese Democracy fans complaining about the number of CD songs in a setlist. It's not killing the show. Their inclusion is a nod for us, a nod for Axl, a bridge between 1995 & 2016 connecting what wasn't supposed to happen......Not In This Lifetime.

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
uzisuicide2002
VIP

DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE!?!?!?!

« Reply #153 on: July 21, 2016, 11:46:19 AM »

I would cut out the Seeker from the set and play a illusion song. But that's just me

GN'R Boston 02
GN'R NYC 06
GN'R Mass 06
GN'R NJ 11
VR Mass 05
GN'R Foxboro 16
GN'R Boston 17
VR Mass 07
Slash Boston 10
Steven Adler NYC 11
Slash Foxwoods 14
Slash Providence 15
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #154 on: July 21, 2016, 11:47:33 AM »

Setlist breakdown:

AFD:         8
Illusions:   8  (9 if Don't Cry makes encore)
Lies:         1  (if Patience makes encore)
TSI:          1  (Duff)
CD:           4
Covers:     1  (Seeker as of late; Whole Lotta Rosie, Riff Raff, earlier this year)

Chinese songs are perfectly placed to not kill the mood for those not familiar with them. Before anybody has a chance to wonder what Chinese Democracy is, Welcome to the Jungle makes them forget. CD is an all out rocker that Slash has a blast playing. He gets youthful spinning around while jamming to CD. He obviously has a blast rocking out to CD.

This I Love seems to be the only song where people fall off a bit. That song is for us, the lovers of the Chinese songs.

Better should be appreciated by all. What a fuckin masterpiece.

Sorry & Catcher in the Rye are for us. US!!! And for Axl.

Does anybody here have any idea if Slash & Duff enjoy putting their spin on Chinese songs? Anybody?? No. We have no idea. My guess is that Slash takes it upon himself to practice Sorry and then CITR. My guess is that he lets Axl know when he's ready to give it a shot live.

Beggars Can't Be Choosers, Bitchers Gonna Bitch, Whiners Gonna Whine, The Pursuit of UNhappiness, all come to mind when I see Chinese Democracy fans complaining about the number of CD songs in a setlist. It's not killing the show. Their inclusion is a nod for us, a nod for Axl, a bridge between 1995 & 2016 connecting what wasn't supposed to happen......Not In This Lifetime.

Fuck it, I'm making my own:

Seriously, the above post is gold. Well put, and perfectly laid out. I salute you, sir. You are a scholar and a gentleman.

Together again,
Princess Leia
« Reply #155 on: July 21, 2016, 11:49:03 AM »

Get real.

I think those 40 to 50k are there to see the "Big 3" and they're willing to grant some leeway on the setlist, largely, as long as it includes a good sampling of the GH.

Could they do a show playing CD start to finish and have the crowd leave happy? No, probably not.  But then, I think that's true of a good number of bands with a decent sized catalog.

And yes...before anyone interjects, they COULD do a show playing AFD from start to finish and everyone would go home smiling.  If you're trying to say CD isn't AFD..no fucking shit. But neither are any of their other albums.

But 3 or 4 songs a night out of close to 30? Yeah, I can't see the bitching.  

We know they swap Don't Cry and Patience, right? Both songs are classic, big hits GN'R songs. Now CD and TIL are not. Why are those 2 untouchable when this is a reunion tour? Swap those two. Or swap CD and The Seeker instead of doing it with Patience and Don't Cry. Nobody is asking them to play only AFD songs only. Or maybe instead of The Seekeer, why not play some UYI song that hasn't been played since 92 or 93?

Again nobody is asking for a radical change in the set list. Just shake things up a little making sure that old/classic songs are not on the losing side.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #156 on: July 21, 2016, 11:57:42 AM »

We know they swap Don't Cry and Patience, right? Both songs are classic, big hits GN'R songs. Now CD and TIL are not. Why are those 2 untouchable when this is a reunion tour? Swap those two. Or swap CD and The Seeker instead of doing it with Patience and Don't Cry. Nobody is asking them to play only AFD songs only. Or maybe instead of The Seekeer, why not play some UYI song that hasn't been played since 92 or 93?

Again nobody is asking for a radical change in the set list. Just shake things up a little making sure that old/classic songs are not on the losing side.

Simple answer: They like it this way.  And they're the ones putting on the show.

You don't. Oh well....

Vote with your wallet, if it's that big a deal to you. Plenty of others will (and have) voted with theirs.  We'll see who "wins". I'm pretty sure it won't be you.

And the classic songs AREN'T suffering (see Ra's breakdown, above). CITR was swapped for Sorry, for example.  And Sorry was added in place of NOTHING. New slot in the setlist.  Nobody here is likewise arguing they should absolutely ADD more than 3 or 4 CD songs (which is where we're at now).  It's all GnR material, and it's represented, IMHO, at the level it should be all things considered. And more importantly, it seems to be represented at the level it should be, all things considered, in the opinion of THE BAND. And, no matter what you and I think, THATS WHAT MATTERS.

The set list is fine, and bitching about it is nitpicking of the highest order.  Again, it's proof that, no matter how good it is, there will always be people who find SOMETHING to complain about it.  I've long detailed this EXACT theoretical scenario: That, even if Slash and Duff rejoined the fray, even if they went on, on time, every night, even if they played amazing shows every night, someone, somewhere, would find something to bitch about. No matter what they do, no matter how thy do it, you just can't please everyone (and they shouldn't try, IMHO). Sometimes, I hate being right.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 12:00:25 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #157 on: July 21, 2016, 12:00:04 PM »

So this thread has, once again, fallen into the 'setlist sucks' pit of despair, like so many before it.  I cannot understand why so many people can't just sit back and go "that was wicked cool - what are they going to do next?"

I was there. It was awesome. The looney tunes opening was awesome for pete's sake. I sat/stood near people who were wearing hot-topic t-shirt of the week(metallica/stones)...not hardcore GnR fans I'm assuming...they really got moving to CD/Better, they swayed to TIL...the only two songs they sung along with were SCOM and PC. I did catch "he sounds like shit" (i'm assuming Axl) and "this must be illusions" which was replied with "spaghetti incident or chinese democracy" during CITR.  He did seem to struggle finding his voice in the begining of that song. It was incredible - and the epic fireworks PC closer was just amazing.

If you don't want to hear the songs they play - don't go. I actually wish people would stop streaming the shows live...the sea of cameras was disturbing...enjoy the show yourself...I understand the basement dwellers want to see what goes on in the real world (and the hardcore fans who cant make it)...but you are ruining it for the guy behind you - who did go and paid for a ticket - trying to look past that bright screen held in front of his view.

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
Princess Leia
« Reply #158 on: July 21, 2016, 12:13:43 PM »

Simple answer: They like it this way.  And they're the ones putting on the show.

You don't. Oh well....

Vote with your wallet, if it's that big a deal to you. Plenty of others will (and have) voted with theirs.  We'll see who "wins". I'm pretty sure it won't be you.

And the classic songs AREN'T suffering (see Ra's breakdown, above). CITR was swapped for Sorry, for example.  And Sorry was added in place of NOTHING. New slot in the setlist.  Nobody here is likewise arguing they should absolutely ADD more than 3 or 4 CD songs (which is where we're at now).  It's all GnR material, and it's represented, IMHO, at the level it should be all things considered. And more importantly, it seems to be represented at the level it should be, all things considered, in the opinion of THE BAND. And, no matter what you and I think, THATS WHAT MATTERS.

The set list is fine, and bitching about it is nitpicking of the highest order.  Again, it's proof that, no matter how good it is, there will always be people who find SOMETHING to complain about it.  I've long detailed this EXACT theoretical scenario: That, even if Slash and Duff rejoined the fray, even if they went on, on time, every night, even if they played amazing shows every night, someone, somewhere, would find something to bitch about. No matter what they do, no matter how thy do it, you just can't please everyone (and they shouldn't try, IMHO). Sometimes, I hate being right.

Don't worry. I've already have. I'm only going to the shows in L.A. I could go to a lot more. But Izzy and Adler are not permanent members. And the set list is not ideal either.

I'm not sure I'm not in the winning side. Remember the WSJ article? And we know now that the second shows in the big cities are exactly not sold out. Just check StubHub and Ticketmasters

I hate when you are wrong  rofl
matty29
Headliner

« Reply #159 on: July 21, 2016, 12:23:26 PM »

You don't. Oh well....

Don't worry. I've already have. I'm only going to the shows in L.A. I could go to a lot more. But Izzy and Adler are not permanent members. And the set list is not ideal either.

I'm not sure I'm not in the winning side. Remember the WSJ article? And we know now that the second shows in the big cities are exactly not sold out. Just check StubHub and Ticketmasters

I hate when you are wrong  rofl

The tour is an overwhelming success.  Stadium shows during holiday months on weekdays are never expected to be sell outs, much less multiple dates.   I'm looking forward to not seeing you at many of the shows.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: