Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 09:06:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  [Updates] July 20th, 2016 Foxborough, MA @ Gillette Stadium (Night #2)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Updates] July 20th, 2016 Foxborough, MA @ Gillette Stadium (Night #2)  (Read 44947 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #120 on: July 21, 2016, 09:02:06 AM »

This is not about Slash and Duff liking CD, willing to accept that CD is a GN'R album and doing an amazing performance. This is 50,000 people attending shows and what THEY want to listen at the shows.

Do those 50,000 people want to listen VR songs? Only 10 people around forums want that. Then VR sonsgs don't belong in the set list. CD on the other hand is a GN'R album at least from the legal or technical point of view. So ok, play one or two of those. But GN'R shouldn't forget that 50,000 don't buy tickets because they are crazy inlove with CD songs, jams and The Seeker. They want to see Axl and Slash together performing hits and old songs.

Fans attending shows have said here that when TIL or Sorry are being playing they see a lot of people go to get themselves a beer or just go to take a leak.

You're never going to please 50k people. Don't bother trying. What you may like, others may not. As much as you love "Coma" others may tire by the 7 minute mark and decide to head to the can or beer stand. People pick and choose when they head for concessions, it happens at every concert. You're acting like at other band's shows fans stay in their designated area for the entire time and at these shows 40k people head out when 5 certain songs are played. Well, you're wrong. That's all I can say.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #121 on: July 21, 2016, 09:03:32 AM »

This is not about Slash and Duff liking CD, willing to accept that CD is a GN'R album and doing an amazing performance. This is 50,000 people attending shows and what THEY want to listen at the shows.

Do those 50,000 people want to listen VR songs? Only 10 people around forums want that. Then VR sonsgs don't belong in the set list. CD on the other hand is a GN'R album at least from the legal or technical point of view. So ok, play one or two of those. But GN'R shouldn't forget that 50,000 don't buy tickets because they are crazy inlove with CD songs, jams and The Seeker. They want to see Axl and Slash together performing hits and old songs.

Fans attending shows have said here that when TIL or Sorry are being playing they see a lot of people go to get themselves a beer or just go to take a leak.

No, no it's not about the 50k.  

The fans have zero input on set list, and they shouldn't have any expectation that they do. That's why there's no voting process to pick the songs you want to hear that night.

It's the bands decision. And their opinion on the material is the only one that matters. So, in fact, it IS about whether Slash and Duff want to play the material, and recognize it as GnR.

If the fans dislike the setlist that much, they can not come to the shows, and vote with their wallets. But they won't.  

And, notice...nobody attending the shows (except a very very very few, maybe) is really complaining about the set lists.  Not really. I have not heard one actual "normal" attendee of these shows bitch there was "too much CD". Not. One.

So what if they're getting beer and using the bathroom? Are they walking out of the show in disgust? No, of course not.

There's a good mix in the setlist.  If you want more AFD, drop the album in your CD player, hit play on your iphone, or whatever you need to do to hear more of that album.

I'd also counter, actually, this is a GREAT way for the band to introduce the CD material to "older" fans who might not have had exposure to it in the past, for whatever reason.  

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #122 on: July 21, 2016, 09:09:57 AM »

Well, lets aknowledge this thing:
CITR by me... I got a lil tipsy today... But enjoy
https://youtu.be/hPThuSVxFuM
Thank you so much for this. It's an amazing recording for an amazing performance. Cheesy

I watch the periscope through my iPhone but then mirror it with AirPlay through my Apple TV on the tv and through the sound system and these concerts sound really good!  Worth a try if you have that setup.  Better sound than your phone.

I actually have a PC hooked up to my system (via HDMI). Sounds AMAZING!! Smiley
I also have the same setup as Ja5oN, but actually prefer to use good headphones. And the pic quality isnt always that great to watch in anything bigger than a 10 inch screen.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2016, 09:12:53 AM »

I also have the same setup as Ja5oN, but actually prefer to use good headphones. And the pic quality isnt always that great to watch in anything bigger than a 10 inch screen.

Agree on pic quality BUT I run everything through a pretty high end home theater tuner, so I'm willing to lose the pic quality for the very loud, and increased fidelity, audio. Smiley

Together again,
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2016, 09:20:53 AM »

I see what you are saying, but I am of the opinion it doesn't matter what the fans want, and I say that as a fan.   I would rather see a 100% authentic show full of songs the band wants to play than see them play songs they aren't that into just to please the audience.  GNR has never been about pleasing the audience, they write and perform songs for themselves, and if people happen to dig it, great, if not, they don't care.  That is why they are great.

GNR's only responsibility is to put the best GNR show on they can, whatever THEY think that entails.  If that means one night they put on a one hour free form "Jazz Odyssey" Spinal Tap style, so be it.   hihi

Ha, in all seriousness though, like I said I just want to see the band perform the songs that they want to perform.  I have seen the band a bunch of times over the years, I left disappointed exactly zero times.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #125 on: July 21, 2016, 09:29:44 AM »

Another source recorded Catcher. Not as great as Jbat, but with a good view close to the stage in Richard's and Duff's side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS_F3WEdjv0

I like how Richard uses his Telecaster here. Slash is using a Gibson Explorer? I think it's the same one he used on TWAT in Mexico, right?

Agree on pic quality BUT I run everything through a pretty high end home theater tuner, so I'm willing to lose the pic quality for the very loud, and increased fidelity, audio. Smiley
Do you prefer to listen with a good speaker? I love it, but a really good pair of headphones will always make it better to me. Smiley

JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #126 on: July 21, 2016, 09:31:05 AM »

I don't care what they play, as long as I hear Axl, Slash and Duff playing them. Come on people, did we ever think this reunion would happen? I personally love CITR, so I was glad to hear it. That being said, whatever happen to Madagascar or Blues? I think Madagascar should be a must at every show. I like how they play The Seeker, New Rose (other duff covers), but those can go. I just want to hear GN'R (including Chinese) songs. I also think you have to keep LALD plus KOHD in the set because those are great songs that the band put on their album.

Anyway, hoping for more surprise appearances and different set lists, but really happy with anything. I started listening to GN'R when I was 7 (1987) and they have been my favorite band since. I am just really happy to see the big 3 back together again. This band has the opportunity to put out great music for many years to come and I hope they take advantage of that. So many years were missed and opportunities missed to put out great new music by these 3, hope they do it now.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #127 on: July 21, 2016, 09:36:49 AM »

Do you prefer to listen with a good speaker? I love it, but a really good pair of headphones will always make it better to me. Smiley

For Rock, I really do prefer in room, speaker, sound vs headphones. Just a personal preference.  I like feeling the sound fill the room, and bounce off the walls. Just...to me...makes it more powerful.  But I'm a live show junky, and think the sound interacting with the environment is part of that experience, which might explain why I prefer speakers. I totally get why some folks actually prefer the sound to be "cleaner" via headphones, too.  Just a personal preference thing.

I like over the ear headphones for other things (gaming, especially)..but HATE earbuds with a passion.  I agree, headphones are WAY better than trying to listen via phone, tablet, or laptop speakers, for sure!

Together again,
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #128 on: July 21, 2016, 09:54:10 AM »

That being said, whatever happen to Madagascar or Blues? I think Madagascar should be a must at every show.
I remember the rumors were that Slash rehearsed Madagascar before the Vegas shows. I like the song and I think Slash would actually improve it a lot.
Street of Dreams on the other hand would sound really weird to me if Slash played it too far from the original. There's something about Robin's solo that is inherent to the song... But I wonder if he would play the lead in the ending or leave it to Richard (as he always played that part even when Bucket was still in hte band).

For Rock, I really do prefer in room, speaker, sound vs headphones. Just a personal preference.  I like feeling the sound fill the room, and bounce off the walls. Just...to me...makes it more powerful.  But I'm a live show junky, and think the sound interacting with the environment is part of that experience, which might explain why I prefer speakers. I totally get why some folks actually prefer the sound to be "cleaner" via headphones, too.  Just a personal preference thing.

I like over the ear headphones for other things (gaming, especially)..but HATE earbuds with a passion.  I agree, headphones are WAY better than trying to listen via phone, tablet, or laptop speakers, for sure!
One of the reason I like headphones is to catch what Axl is saying between the songs. English is not my 1st language (as you all can see haha) so I need to have a clean sound to get that.
But the main reason is to proper hear the stereo effect in studio and soundboard recordings. For audience recordings it doesnt matter that much.

I actually like in-ear buds. I have a good pair of Sony ones (wired of course, I hate the Bluetooth ones) that I use to go to work, on the subway. At home I prefer to use regular over the ear Sony headphones that I bought in Japan. It was cheap, but has a good quality (with decent bass and crispy mids) for what it is. Still planning to invest in something more high-end like a Senheiser or similar.

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #129 on: July 21, 2016, 10:01:01 AM »

I don't care what they play, as long as I hear Axl, Slash and Duff playing them. Come on people, did we ever think this reunion would happen? I personally love CITR, so I was glad to hear it. That being said, whatever happen to Madagascar or Blues? I think Madagascar should be a must at every show. I like how they play The Seeker, New Rose (other duff covers), but those can go. I just want to hear GN'R (including Chinese) songs. I also think you have to keep LALD plus KOHD in the set because those are great songs that the band put on their album.

Anyway, hoping for more surprise appearances and different set lists, but really happy with anything. I started listening to GN'R when I was 7 (1987) and they have been my favorite band since. I am just really happy to see the big 3 back together again. This band has the opportunity to put out great music for many years to come and I hope they take advantage of that. So many years were missed and opportunities missed to put out great new music by these 3, hope they do it now.

I am with you...although I love The Seeker, Wish You Were Here, Layla, Godfather etc, it would be neat to hear a whole set of songs officially released on Gnr albums.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #130 on: July 21, 2016, 10:19:20 AM »

That's right.  I am a fool

They should play more covers!   What was I thinking!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #131 on: July 21, 2016, 10:27:10 AM »

Nobody said that, either. Either piece of it.

Not more. But no need for less, either.

It's a good set list.  They're good shows.  Anything beyond that is, honestly, nitpicking.  It's complaining about some very minor thing that YOU would like changed for a personal preference reason. Not because "they should", but because you'd LIKE them to.

They're up there, playing their asses of, night after night, putting on amazing, awesome, tremendous shows. Right?

Everyone, at every show, could probably come up with their own "perfect" setlist.  And it would probably vary from person to person to person.  Nobody is ever, likely, going to get their own personal GnR mix tape at a show.  If that's anyone's expectation, and the only way they're going to be happy, they should probably stay home and cobble together a setlist from youtube.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 10:30:02 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Boromir
VIP

« Reply #132 on: July 21, 2016, 10:30:59 AM »

They should play whatever THEY want.

How many times have u see GNR?

Keep Calm and Listen to Guns N' Roses!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #133 on: July 21, 2016, 10:34:45 AM »

I am with you...although I love The Seeker, Wish You Were Here, Layla, Godfather etc, it would be neat to hear a whole set of songs officially released on Gnr albums.

A lot of that I'm OK with, because they are taking the place of solos (which were there in the 90's, too) or acting as intros.   And...look...the way the band works, Axl needs a couple breaks to catch his breath and hydrate.  So you're not going to sub in something for, say, Wish you Were hear, Godfater, or New Rose that Axl has any involvement in.  So, in those cases, it's not really a chioice.

Which really only leaves The Seeker.  And they like it. Maybe it'll get recorded and released on the next album. IDK.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #134 on: July 21, 2016, 10:36:03 AM »

They should play whatever THEY want.

How many times have u see GNR?

I know this is to Bacon, and obviously he should chime in...but I think MetLife will be lucky number 13 for me? I gotta sit down though and really count to be sure.  More than 10, less than 15. Smiley

Together again,
MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #135 on: July 21, 2016, 10:47:46 AM »

Another Catcher........

https://youtu.be/7KVu5rBcuok

Amazing that they're going to keep adding to the setlist as the tour progresses. It's pretty official that once we hear them sound checking a song, it's debut is coming.

Slash was fucking amazing on Catcher. Just. Fucking. Amazing!!!

Slash DOES make everything better.

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #136 on: July 21, 2016, 10:48:34 AM »

So long as CITR is in place of another CD song swapped out, I don't see the harm.

But 3 CD songs should be the absolute max.  They aren't moving 40,000 to 50,000 tickets to hear a plethora of CD tunes.

Get real.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #137 on: July 21, 2016, 10:51:54 AM »

I don't think Madagascar fits Slash's style at all. Maybe he could do something good on the solo, but the whole song is too "modern" for him, I guess.

I think the same way about Rhiad, IRS, If The World, etc.

I think the CD songs that fit Slash's style have all been played, except for Street of Dreams.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #138 on: July 21, 2016, 10:59:24 AM »

I don't think Madagascar fits Slash's style at all. Maybe he could do something good on the solo, but the whole song is too "modern" for him, I guess.

I think the same way about Rhiad, IRS, If The World, etc.

I think the CD songs that fit Slash's style have all been played, except for Street of Dreams.

Agree with all of this.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #139 on: July 21, 2016, 11:03:10 AM »

So long as CITR is in place of another CD song swapped out, I don't see the harm.

But 3 CD songs should be the absolute max.  They aren't moving 40,000 to 50,000 tickets to hear a plethora of CD tunes.

Get real.

Those 40 to 50k people should wake the fuck up and buy CD.

Looks like it'll be 4 CD songs. I can't see anything else getting bumped.

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: