Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 02:03:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228102 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Anyone else hope Steven ISN'T involved?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone else hope Steven ISN'T involved?  (Read 50077 times)
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2016, 02:32:33 PM »

The only people that should be involved with Appearances is...

Gilby, Matt, Steven and Izzy and myabe TOmmy since he didn't leave and rejoin like 8 times

Robin, Buckethead?Huh Seriously? Gtfo

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
gunslipk
Opening Act

« Reply #141 on: February 22, 2016, 03:47:42 PM »

There is no "current lineup"

Well, there is.

Bumble, DJ and Tommy left.

Axl, Richard, Chris, Frank and Dizzy was the new basis. Duff and Slash filled out that line-up.

Do you think Richard, Chris, Frank and Dizzy will be part of the new line-up just by chance? No, they're there because they didn't leave.

No man.

The lineage was broken up too many times. Bumble was part of a added 2nd guitarist that replaced buckethead, DJ replaced finck, who replaced slash lol

When the replacements of the replacements leave... I don't consider that "a band" just hired guys.

Well, guess what... doesn't matter what you consider. The band has a new line-up and that's how it's working now.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #142 on: February 22, 2016, 05:01:47 PM »

Again, the fear is this scenario:  Plan is show opens with the AFD5 playing WTTJ then Izzy & Steven exit the stage for GNR2016's rendition of CD.  Steven refuses to relinquish the stage to Frank.  Steven needs to be forcibly removed.

Care now?  Because we all fear this scenario is a very real possibility.

No, we don't all fear that.  Only you do.

The rest of us know it's ridiculous to bring Steven (or Izzy) out at the beginning of the show and then send them on their way in the first place.  How the hell is the crowd going to react to that?  The sensible thing to do is have Steven come out at the end and play the encore, because whether you like it or not, the crowd's reaction to Steven (and/or Izzy) is going to be huge, much bigger than the reaction to Frank or anyone else, so it makes no sense to have Steven OPEN the show anyway.

If Steven and Izzy open and then leave the show early, I guarantee you plenty of fans will too.
Are you saying that you think WTTJ will NOT be the opening song?  It's hard for me to believe that it won't be. And if it is and Steven & Izzy are there, why wouldn't they bring out ONLY the AFD5 onstage to open the show with it?

I seriously doubt any fans will leave early under any circumstances ..... unless they're forced out by the riot police, of course.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2016, 07:00:14 PM »

Again, the fear is this scenario:  Plan is show opens with the AFD5 playing WTTJ then Izzy & Steven exit the stage for GNR2016's rendition of CD.  Steven refuses to relinquish the stage to Frank.  Steven needs to be forcibly removed.

Care now?  Because we all fear this scenario is a very real possibility.

No, we don't all fear that.  Only you do.

The rest of us know it's ridiculous to bring Steven (or Izzy) out at the beginning of the show and then send them on their way in the first place.  How the hell is the crowd going to react to that?  The sensible thing to do is have Steven come out at the end and play the encore, because whether you like it or not, the crowd's reaction to Steven (and/or Izzy) is going to be huge, much bigger than the reaction to Frank or anyone else, so it makes no sense to have Steven OPEN the show anyway.

If Steven and Izzy open and then leave the show early, I guarantee you plenty of fans will too.
Are you saying that you think WTTJ will NOT be the opening song?  It's hard for me to believe that it won't be. And if it is and Steven & Izzy are there, why wouldn't they bring out ONLY the AFD5 onstage to open the show with it?

I seriously doubt any fans will leave early under any circumstances ..... unless they're forced out by the riot police, of course.

I wonder about the opening song... only reason being that it was almost never the opener during the AFD and/or UYI era's... it only became a regular opener from 2002-2007. Slash preferred opening with songs like Nightrain, Brownstone, and It's so Easy... so depending on how much of a 'Democracy' this is I would say you could see another song open shows.
GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2016, 07:17:41 PM »

If Duff and Izzy have both been able to come out and do a couple of songs why can't Steven do the same. Honestly i don't care if he does or doesn't but i don't think it will be a situation where he plays a song and then you have to drag him off kicking and screaming just to be back on a stage in front of 20000 people would probably be enough for him to keep on the straight n narrow.
Annie
« Reply #145 on: February 22, 2016, 07:27:00 PM »

If Duff and Izzy have both been able to come out and do a couple of songs why can't Steven do the same. Honestly i don't care if he does or doesn't but i don't think it will be a situation where he plays a song and then you have to drag him off kicking and screaming just to be back on a stage in front of 20000 people would probably be enough for him to keep on the straight n narrow.
That will make him happy for a moment, but he will want more. I am sure that whatever happens he will be the only one willing to talk to Trunk. More so if he feels cheated or doesn't get his way. #notanadlerfan.
GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #146 on: February 22, 2016, 07:34:19 PM »

I am not a big adler fan either to be honest this is not an AFD tour this guy has not played anything from chi dem and who knows what he could play on UYI i think thats more the reason he is not in full time because im sure axl wants to play more then what steven played on.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #147 on: February 22, 2016, 08:49:44 PM »

Interesting comparison to Rudd, big difference is Rudd was able to keep it together enough to be in AC/DC for 30 years

Not correct.  Phil Rudd was fired from AC/DC in 1983, and did not return until 1995.  He got canned for drugs, booze, and assaulting Malcolm.  He was replaced in AC/DC by Simon Wright and later Chris Slade, the latter of whom replaced him again this past tour due to Rudd's drug/murder issues.

Yes I am aware.  If you read what I wrote you will see I said he kept it together enough to be in AC/DC for 30 years.  I never said they were consecutive years, or that he wasn't fired several times.   The point was he was AC/DC's drummer for over 30 years.  At least that's what Wikipedia told me, as I have never heard of Phil Rudd until his most recent arrest was posted on blabbermouth a while back.  I also didn't know there were 2 Young's in the band until last year.  I'm not an AC/DC person.

Consecutive years or not, 30 beats 5 every time.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 08:55:55 PM by Bodhi » Logged
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #148 on: February 22, 2016, 10:07:44 PM »

I wonder about the opening song... only reason being that it was almost never the opener during the AFD and/or UYI era's... it only became a regular opener from 2002-2007. Slash preferred opening with songs like Nightrain, Brownstone, and It's so Easy... so depending on how much of a 'Democracy' this is I would say you could see another song open shows.
Nightrain, Mr. Brownstone and It's So Easy are all AFD songs.  If you, like I, believe that they are going to open the show with an AFD song and if the AFD5 are there, why wouldn't you bring them out to open the show?  Why would they hold off Steven and Izzy until the end? 

I'm also guessing a (probably the) CD song will be early in the set.  It's 2016.  We're all about inclusion.  Like it says in that commercial... be together but not the same.

We all watched how beautifully Richard and Izzy could co-exist in a GNR show without any integrity being denied either one's presence.  If everyone's focus on that stage is to make it work, then it definitely can.

As I posted in another thread, I don't believe Axl has Dizzy, Chris, Richard and Frank there only to fuck them over for the AFD5. 

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #149 on: February 22, 2016, 10:15:25 PM »

Literally, not one single fan will do this.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #150 on: February 22, 2016, 10:41:45 PM »

Nightrain, Mr. Brownstone and It's So Easy are all AFD songs.  If you, like I, believe that they are going to open the show with an AFD song and if the AFD5 are there, why wouldn't you bring them out to open the show?  Why would they hold off Steven and Izzy until the end? 

I'm also guessing a (probably the) CD song will be early in the set.  It's 2016.  We're all about inclusion.  Like it says in that commercial... be together but not the same.

We all watched how beautifully Richard and Izzy could co-exist in a GNR show without any integrity being denied either one's presence.  If everyone's focus on that stage is to make it work, then it definitely can.

As I posted in another thread, I don't believe Axl has Dizzy, Chris, Richard and Frank there only to fuck them over for the AFD5. 

I'm just saying I can see them opening with a song other than Jungle... But I'm not holding my breath for an AFD5 lineup...
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #151 on: February 22, 2016, 10:46:01 PM »

I'm just saying I can see them opening with a song other than Jungle... But I'm not holding my breath for an AFD5 lineup...
I was referring more to you saying that if Steven were there that they would hold him off for later in the show.

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #152 on: February 22, 2016, 10:48:21 PM »

I was referring more to you saying that if Steven were there that they would hold him off for later in the show.

I didn't say that...?

« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 10:52:01 PM by C0ma » Logged
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #153 on: February 22, 2016, 10:50:32 PM »

I didn't say that...?
My apologies.  Someone else said it.

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #154 on: February 22, 2016, 10:59:31 PM »

My apologies.  Someone else said it.
No worries, it's easy to get lost in these threads.

As far as Steven goes... if he's there, great... if he's not, great. I'll be happy with a drum machine backing Axl and Slash, I'll take it all in baby steps.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #155 on: February 23, 2016, 09:22:44 AM »

Izzy's non-involvement hurts the rationale for Steven, I think.

I was with the people saying they could not bring out Izzy and dick Steven over.  That made sense to me.

But to me, this was a package deal.  If you are not even going through the motions of this being some sort of reunion, Steven is not needed. 

I'm not sure what dragging him out to play 'Rocket Queen' is really going to accomplish anyway.  To say you did it?  When has Axl ever given a shit about appearances or "doing the right thing"?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #156 on: February 23, 2016, 02:31:29 PM »

I didn't say one way or another what the opening song would be, because it doesn't matter.  If "Welcome to the Jungle" is the opening song, Frank could play it as he has been for 10 years.  It isn't about the setlist, it's about the flow and emotion of the show.

Anybody who thinks the original lineup isn't the biggest draw of these shows is kidding themselves.  Whether any of the anti-Steven types on this site want to admit it, Steven will indeed get a huge response from all the Guns N Roses fans who don't give a shit about internet drama like this.  So why on earth would they bring Steven out at the beginning and then send him on his way?  And why -- as you suggested before -- would they play Appetite songs first and then go into Chinese Democracy songs with Slash and Duff there?  I'd be surprised if there is even one CD song in the set, and if there is, I bet they will be played sparingly, and I double bet that the setlist will heavily favor old material throughout.

On that basis, it wouldn't matter where old songs were played in the setlist.  If "Welcome to the Jungle" were played first, Frank could play it.  That leaves plenty of old songs that Steven could finish the night with.

Indeed.  Izzy and Duff both played a select few GNR songs (and they weren't necessarily the hits) when they briefly joined GNR (before the whole tour Duff did).  Whether Steven comes out at the beginning, middle, or end, it is highly unlikely he will throw a tantrum about it since he knows that it's a huge opportunity just to be back onstage under the Guns N Roses banner.  Not to mention the fact that Steven would know that if he behaved himself, he would likely be given future opportunities to perhaps do even more.  He would know that he'd be blowing it forever if he misbehaved in any way.

Someone else pointed out a few pages back that Steven shared the spotlight with Matt Sorum at the Hall of Fame.  At the time, Sorum admitted that he stepped back and told Slash and Duff to let Steven play, and then it was Steven who said, "no, go ahead and play "Brownstone".

Saying that he'll refuse to leave the stage is an irrational fear that is more an anti-Steven mentality than reality -- like most of the Steven hatred around here is.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 02:49:16 PM by Bridge » Logged
Virolec
Rocker

« Reply #157 on: February 23, 2016, 07:40:40 PM »

I don't mind one way or the other who is banging the pots n' pans at the back of the stage - "it's neither eechie nor ochie tae me", as my father would say.  If he made some appearances, and it all went well that'd be nicely satisfying for the nostalgia, but nobody apart from him has spent the last however many years hoping and wishing that Axl would kiss and make up with Steven Adler first and foremost. 

That said, I think the ill-will shown towards him here is over the top.

Nargle them.  Fargle them.  Nargle-fargle them.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #158 on: February 23, 2016, 07:56:54 PM »

Literally, not one single fan will do this.

I agree, what a silly comment to make  ok

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #159 on: February 23, 2016, 08:01:05 PM »

I didn't say one way or another what the opening song would be, because it doesn't matter.  If "Welcome to the Jungle" is the opening song, Frank could play it as he has been for 10 years.  It isn't about the setlist, it's about the flow and emotion of the show.

Anybody who thinks the original lineup isn't the biggest draw of these shows is kidding themselves.  Whether any of the anti-Steven types on this site want to admit it, Steven will indeed get a huge response from all the Guns N Roses fans who don't give a shit about internet drama like this.  So why on earth would they bring Steven out at the beginning and then send him on his way?  And why -- as you suggested before -- would they play Appetite songs first and then go into Chinese Democracy songs with Slash and Duff there?  I'd be surprised if there is even one CD song in the set, and if there is, I bet they will be played sparingly, and I double bet that the setlist will heavily favor old material throughout.

On that basis, it wouldn't matter where old songs were played in the setlist.  If "Welcome to the Jungle" were played first, Frank could play it.  That leaves plenty of old songs that Steven could finish the night with.

Indeed.  Izzy and Duff both played a select few GNR songs (and they weren't necessarily the hits) when they briefly joined GNR (before the whole tour Duff did).  Whether Steven comes out at the beginning, middle, or end, it is highly unlikely he will throw a tantrum about it since he knows that it's a huge opportunity just to be back onstage under the Guns N Roses banner.  Not to mention the fact that Steven would know that if he behaved himself, he would likely be given future opportunities to perhaps do even more.  He would know that he'd be blowing it forever if he misbehaved in any way.

Someone else pointed out a few pages back that Steven shared the spotlight with Matt Sorum at the Hall of Fame.  At the time, Sorum admitted that he stepped back and told Slash and Duff to let Steven play, and then it was Steven who said, "no, go ahead and play "Brownstone".

Saying that he'll refuse to leave the stage is an irrational fear that is more an anti-Steven mentality than reality -- like most of the Steven hatred around here is.

I don't see any irrational Adler-hate- what I see is people realistically evaluating his contributions, his liabilities, his track record and his capabilities.

If you told me 5 years ago that there would be a Axl-Slash-Duff reunion and that some people obviously blinded to reality by sentimental nostalgia were whining about Adler being involved, I wouldn't believe it!  hihi

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: