Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 11:10:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Alice Cooper Talks Guns N' Roses Reunion: 'Where's Izzy?'
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alice Cooper Talks Guns N' Roses Reunion: 'Where's Izzy?'  (Read 18814 times)
Spirit
Legend

« on: February 09, 2016, 10:50:47 AM »

Alice Cooper Talks Guns N' Roses Reunion: 'Where's Izzy?'

"You'd think if Slash and Axl are working together ... Izzy would be a shoo-in," singer says

By Kory Grow February 9, 2016

As Alice Cooper began preparing to debut a new Hollywood Vampires tune and pay tribute to Mot?rhead's Lemmy Kilmister at the Grammy Awards, he marveled at how he and his bandmates, which include Johnny Depp and Joe Perry, could coordinate schedules. One new challenge has been working around Guns N' Roses' recent reunion, since erstwhile GN'R members bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Matt Sorum double in Vampires.

"I had a feeling it was going to happen," Cooper says of the reunited GN'R, which officially welcomed McKagan and guitarist Slash back into Axl Rose's world. "Guns N' Roses is always unpredictable, which makes them exciting. I think those gigs will go through."

The one thing that has Cooper scratching his head though is the apparent absence of founding GN'R guitarist Izzy Stradlin, who played with the band from 1985 through 1991. "I'm just wondering why isn't Izzy in there?" he says. "I don't know about drums, but certainly Izzy is viable. You'd think if Slash and Axl are working together ? and Duff is one of those guys that gets along with everybody ? then at least Izzy would be one of the guys who would be a shoo-in.

"And maybe he is, I don't know," Cooper says, continuing speculation. "I don't what their setup is with him. But it's like not having Brian Jones with the Rolling Stones, if he were available."

Since Guns N' Roses announced the reunion, Cooper says McKagan has seemed reinvigorated, even in Hollywood Vampires. "Duff is great, man," he says. "One of the great things about when we put the Vampires together is how the bass and drums make the songs move. You've got two guys that have played together for 20 years. They're locked in. It's really good."

Cooper, who recorded a version of his "Under My Wheels" with Rose and Slash in 1988 and later guested on GN'R's "The Garden," also remembered taking Guns N' Roses out on the road with him in 1987, shortly after the release of Appetite for Destruction. "They were great," he says. "They were never late." He laughs. "They were one of those bands that, when they go on before you, you have to look at your band and be like, 'Hey guys, we better be good tonight because those guys were great.' You always want the opening band to push you. That's always a good thing."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/alice-cooper-talks-guns-n-roses-reunion-wheres-izzy-20160209

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 10:56:28 AM »

I agree with all of that!

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 11:02:09 AM »

Musically it certainly makes sense to have Izzy in the band. I think it comes more down to Izzy's own "dislike" for big commitments ? like a giant world tour or something.

Izzy certainly is friendly with everybody, so I think they did probably approach him about this. I do think he most likely has the same deal as before, "show up when and wherever you want", if you want to join in with us during the tour.

Sweetness is a virtue
johnreed3344
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 11:13:01 AM »

what people who aren't true fans don't get is Izzy's just way of going about things. He doesn't want to dive into this huge commitments that's fine. Let him show up time to time and do his thing.

For sure he will have an impact on this reunion.

12/5/02
5/17/06
11/5/06
11/17/11
11/26/11
2/10/12
2/24/12
6/8/13
4/8/16
4/16/16
7/14/16
7/23/16
10/11/17
10/12/17
10/15/17
10/16/17
7/1/18
10/1/19
8/5/21
8/11/23
8/15/23 NE
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 11:16:00 AM »

Musically it certainly makes sense to have Izzy in the band. I think it comes more down to Izzy's own "dislike" for big commitments ? like a giant world tour or something.

Izzy certainly is friendly with everybody, so I think they did probably approach him about this. I do think he most likely has the same deal as before, "show up when and wherever you want", if you want to join in with us during the tour.

Agreed.

I know this doesn't sit well with some folks... but what Alice said about Matt and Duff playing together for so long... I do wish Matt was the full time drummer w/ Steven sprinkled in.  It just makes sense... If you are going back to that era... bring on the drummer too. Matt has such a connection with Slash and Duff. No disrespect to Frank is meant.

I also like Matt's wise ass mouth.  Wink

The drummer seat is always a fun argument around here isn't it?

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 11:20:08 AM »

Yes, I will actually be surprised if Izzy doesn't show up here and there to play with the band.

Sweetness is a virtue
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 11:21:35 AM »

I know this doesn't sit well with some folks... but what Alice said about Matt and Duff playing together for so long... I do wish Matt was the full time drummer w/ Steven sprinkled in.  It just makes sense... If you are going back to that era... bring on the drummer too. Matt has such a connection with Slash and Duff. No disrespect to Frank is meant.

I'm right with you.

In what will be an even more unpopular opinion (I'm guessing) is that I find Frank's inclusion more than a little forced.  And all about Axl trying to keep as much of his most recent line-up as he can and not make it seem like he's trying to downplay it.

I find the selection of Frank to be more about optics and the way Axl wants things to appear than anything else.

But, ultimately, I consider the drumming in this particular band to be the FAR least important part, so I'm really not all that moved by it either way.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 11:23:31 AM »

Yes, I will actually be surprised if Izzy doesn't show up here and there to play with the band.

I think we are all just hoping that Izzy shows up at one of the shows that we attend !

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 11:24:22 AM »

I think we are all just hoping that Izzy shows up at one of the shows that we attend !

Haha, yeah that will probably be a gamble.

Sweetness is a virtue
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 11:25:29 AM »

I'm right with you.

In what will be an even more unpopular opinion (I'm guessing) is that I find Frank's inclusion more than a little forced.  And all about Axl trying to keep as much of his most recent line-up as he can and not make it seem like he's trying to downplay it.

I find the selection of Frank to be more about optics and the way Axl wants things to appear than anything else.

But, ultimately, I consider the drumming in this particular band to be the FAR least important part, so I'm really not all that moved by it either way.

We would just be guessing as to why Frank over Matt or why Axl may just not like the guy ... but one was involved with a good chunk of the music... and one isn't... one has a 20 year history with Slash and Duff and one doesn't...

So the scales certainly weigh one direction....

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 11:27:41 AM »

Since Guns N' Roses announced the reunion, Cooper says McKagan has seemed reinvigorated, even in Hollywood Vampires.

This gives me a real good feeling about the GN'R stuff coming up.

Sweetness is a virtue
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 11:30:09 AM »

I don't see why Izzy wouldn't play at some of the shows. I think it is almost certain that he plays a few or comes on stage at some point at the very least.

I would hope he would do the Vegas/Coachella gigs though. Or maybe he just does the US tour, then someone fills in?

I would rather this be a rock solid lineup and no revolving doors (we've all been there... fuck  confused)

Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Matt, Steven, Dizzy

That is what I want. They need Dizzy for the UYI songs and he's a important background guy. I have Matt in there because I just don't think Steven can handle something so big like this.

The best he's done is like 200-300 people at little clubs. this might get too big for him and overwhelm him. And you just DON'T need 3 guitarists and a bassist. I always thought that was stupid as hell.

Let Steven play some of the UYI songs too. Just don't bring him out for the AFD stuff or just an encore. Let them play 1 show with 1 drummer and 1 eith the other? Or just split or something. Whatever. To me... Steven is the better drummer.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 11:30:43 AM »

Since Guns N' Roses announced the reunion, Cooper says McKagan has seemed reinvigorated, even in Hollywood Vampires.

I get the sense that this will be really special to him. Not that Slash and Axl won't appreciate and or enjoy this... but to Duff... you really get the sense this is important to him and that he is going to cherish every second of it.

Plus Axl and Slash can got heir separate ways and do their own things musically with ease anyway... Duff can't go off with Loaded and sell x y and z.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 11:31:32 AM »

Damn... this was a Izzy post right? I want off on a Steven thing.

If a new album is made at some point IZZY has to be included. It would strengthen the album's writing process for sure. I could see them all recording and Axl might feel a them vs me feeling in the studio.

Izzy would help things on so many levels

But don't damn me
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 11:33:22 AM »

We would just be guessing as to why Frank over Matt or why Axl may just not like the guy ... but one was involved with a good chunk of the music... and one isn't... one has a 20 year history with Slash and Duff and one doesn't...

So the scales certainly weigh one direction....

I never got the impression Axl and Matt were tight.  There are several examples of that support this.

It's just that once he patches it up with Slash, can't imagine there is any other fence he would not be able to mend.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 11:34:32 AM »

Yeah Matt and Axl are clearly not cool as of last year.

It has been reported over the years several times that Matt stood up to Axl and told him what's up and Axl flipped, then over the years there's been barbs from Matt to Axl.

But don't damn me
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2016, 11:38:40 AM »

Well I guess we will wait and see...

Definitely looking forward to some confirmation about the drums and other guitar parts.

Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Richard with any drummer and Dizzy is such a freaking monster...

Never in my wildest dreams... so jacked up.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 11:39:58 AM »

Yeah I never truly thought I'd see Slash and Axl together.

I kinda thought maybe in their 60s or something maybe. But never really thought it through or anything. I was one of those "Well if its not happened yet then its not" kinda people.

Excited no matter who is in.

But don't damn me
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 12:34:16 PM »

Yeah. I just hope it has the same effect in Axl.

TokyoRose
Headliner

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 12:35:23 PM »

People keep thinking its a classic line up reunion.  It's not.  It's really just reuniting Axl and Slash together along with the newer line up of G n R.

G N R have never officially called it a reunion because they never intended it to be one imo.  It's just adding Slash back in, and Duff permanently.  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: