Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 02:33:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Why so silent GNR?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why so silent GNR?  (Read 17219 times)
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2016, 02:59:53 AM »

I get your point, but think about this:

it took 20 years to put the guys togheter and now and they should go out saying "we're best friend again lalala when after their first gig media will start to break their balls anyway?

We've been waiting for  20 years, we can wait for 1 more month before the thing explodes everywhere...
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2016, 06:15:15 AM »

A whole lotta speculation following:

I don't think Axl is excited about it at all, to be honest. I think a few factors came into play toward making this thing happen, and tell me if you agree with my assessment:

I believe the label rejected CD II and he was told something along the lines of in essence that no record would be accepted unless Slash and Duff were on it. Hence Richard's talk of some new songs having "seeds from Slash" before this regrouping happened.

I think the Azoff lawsuit settlement forced the touring we saw in 2011-2014 and by the end of it Axl was exhausted. Combine this with Duff coming back into the picture - they probably had many talks about past stuff which might have cleared a lot of misunderstandings, which led to Axl's feelings softening on Slash very slightly - perhaps from utter hatred to a level of tolerance.

Then, Bumblefoot gave notice in South America. Fine - Axl probably spent the better part of the year trying to get him back. It's been reported by many insiders that DJ Ashba's departure was totally unexpected by Axl. With Tommy not being able to tour due to personal commitments, and prioritizing the Replacements over GN'R, and then Ashba's sudden departure, I think Axl sort of broke. Caved. "Fuck it", he thought, "I might as well call Slash and Duff at this point." Not due to a lack of options or available replacements, but probably due to exhaustion.

How many times was he going to rebuild Guns with a brand new cast of players and go through that exhausting whole process all over again? Bumblefoot's departure was probably foreseen, but Ashba and Tommy bowing out left him with only a partial rhythm section and keyboardists. I don't think Axl, at his age, at this juncture, wanted to rebuild the core of the band all over again; he's not the 36 year old he was in 1998 who had the youth and energy for that, and at this point, his anger towards Slash had dissipated enough to make the idea of being on stage with him tolerable. And on top of that, that sense of exhaustion came a sense of peacefulness; he's getting older and might have genuinely wanted to mend fences with certain people before it was too late.

But, I think Axl probably feels forced into this. Not by managers or Slash or anything else, but by circumstance. I don't think regrouping with Slash and Duff is what he really wants; I think if he had had his way, BBF and Ashba would still be in the band (or more especially, Bucket and Finck) and he'd have released CD II.

I don't think he's excited at all by this, or even invigorated by the money. I think the Axl we're going to see is a guy whose attitude is probably "Fuck it, why not?" more than anything else. Axl said the last 5 years or so were the worst of his life...I think all the fire that was in him is extinguished. Hence the lack of press, hence the lack of any real YEAH WE'RE BACK excitement or media frenzy.

I think on Slash's end, this is a side job; an opportunity to make a ton of dough - but he's not rejoined the band in any real or emotional sense. I don't think he considers himself "the lead guitarist of Guns N' Roses" again - I think for him this is a job, a way to rejuvenate his bank account after the divorce, and really a fragile side project that could go belly up at any minute. I don't think he's into it mentally, it probably is to him what GN'R was to all the nu gunners - just a job. Duff is probably doing this because he's a nice guy, to help out Axl, and he's probably a bit excited about the idea of his two friends actually getting along. I think the idea of what the reunion could turn into excited him.

But, compare this regrouping to other major regroupings - Mick & Keith in 1989, Steven Tyler & Joe Perry in 1985 - both were huge media events. Even though Mick & Keith got back together purely for the money, they were excited by the prospect of conquering the stadium market. There was a media blitz for it. GN'R's regrouping is just being treated - by the band - as another day at the office; another turnover of members who just happen to be old members rejoining. There's no jubiliation or even emotional catharsis.

This could all change once Axl and Slash are on the same stage in front of a full house for the first time since 1993 - that is going to be, I think, both a very weird, surreal and very emotional moment for the both of them and could cement this regrouping as being a real thing, really bring back a genuine bond, just that euphoria of conquering a filled Arena again together, basking in the cheers of the crowds - or, it could go belly up that very night depending on how it all feels to Axl. But, I don't think anyone in the band is particularly excited for this. It's kind of the way Pink Floyd's reunion was, internally; "This is a short term thing, collect our checks, then go our separate ways; blah"

I think that's maybe a very accurate summary of what a lot of us suspect has happened. It would seem to make a lot of sense- and I think more and more as the days go by that your opinions above could be accurate.

I can't see any excitement about this from the band at all, on any level. We're all hoping it turns out well of course.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2016, 06:22:58 AM »

I think that's maybe a very accurate summary of what a lot of us suspect has happened. It would seem to make a lot of sense- and I think more and more as the days go by that your opinions above could be accurate.

I can't see any excitement about this from the band at all, on any level. We're all hoping it turns out well of course.
yes, that is also my point of view. of course we can still be positively surprised - hopefully! peace

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2016, 06:32:06 AM »

It would be different if they had been doing interviews and then seemed very unenthusiastic about this.

? "We don't see any excitement from the band", but have we seen anything at all really?

I wouldn't draw conclusions based on the fact that we've heard nothing from the band yet, that doesn't really mean anything either way.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2016, 07:19:29 AM »

After Coachella Talk Duff & Slash

Agree with you I do, Master Yoda.

J/k  peace

May The Force Be With You

Cool

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2016, 07:27:29 AM »

It would be different if they had been doing interviews and then seemed very unenthusiastic about this.

? "We don't see any excitement from the band", but have we seen anything at all really?

I wouldn't draw conclusions based on the fact that we've heard nothing from the band yet, that doesn't really mean anything either way.

Totally agree here. Noone knows a shit. I see the point that everyone wants to know everything but this is Guns N' Roses and the last time when we were on standby they blew us away. It was a month ago, remember?  Grin

"...It don't really matter..."
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2016, 07:56:01 AM »

I don't think Axl is excited about it at all, to be honest. I think a few factors came into play toward making this thing happen, and tell me if you agree with my assessment:

I believe the label rejected CD II and he was told something along the lines of in essence that no record would be accepted unless Slash and Duff were on it. Hence Richard's talk of some new songs having "seeds from Slash" before this regrouping happened.

I think the Azoff lawsuit settlement forced the touring we saw in 2011-2014 and by the end of it Axl was exhausted. Combine this with Duff coming back into the picture - they probably had many talks about past stuff which might have cleared a lot of misunderstandings, which led to Axl's feelings softening on Slash very slightly - perhaps from utter hatred to a level of tolerance.

Then, Bumblefoot gave notice in South America. Fine - Axl probably spent the better part of the year trying to get him back. It's been reported by many insiders that DJ Ashba's departure was totally unexpected by Axl. With Tommy not being able to tour due to personal commitments, and prioritizing the Replacements over GN'R, and then Ashba's sudden departure, I think Axl sort of broke. Caved. "Fuck it", he thought, "I might as well call Slash and Duff at this point." Not due to a lack of options or available replacements, but probably due to exhaustion.

How many times was he going to rebuild Guns with a brand new cast of players and go through that exhausting whole process all over again? Bumblefoot's departure was probably foreseen, but Ashba and Tommy bowing out left him with only a partial rhythm section and keyboardists. I don't think Axl, at his age, at this juncture, wanted to rebuild the core of the band all over again; he's not the 36 year old he was in 1998 who had the youth and energy for that, and at this point, his anger towards Slash had dissipated enough to make the idea of being on stage with him tolerable. And on top of that, that sense of exhaustion came a sense of peacefulness; he's getting older and might have genuinely wanted to mend fences with certain people before it was too late.

But, I think Axl probably feels forced into this. Not by managers or Slash or anything else, but by circumstance. I don't think regrouping with Slash and Duff is what he really wants; I think if he had had his way, BBF and Ashba would still be in the band (or more especially, Bucket and Finck) and he'd have released CD II.

I don't think he's excited at all by this, or even invigorated by the money. I think the Axl we're going to see is a guy whose attitude is probably "Fuck it, why not?" more than anything else. Axl said the last 5 years or so were the worst of his life...I think all the fire that was in him is extinguished. Hence the lack of press, hence the lack of any real YEAH WE'RE BACK excitement or media frenzy.

I think on Slash's end, this is a side job; an opportunity to make a ton of dough - but he's not rejoined the band in any real or emotional sense. I don't think he considers himself "the lead guitarist of Guns N' Roses" again - I think for him this is a job, a way to rejuvenate his bank account after the divorce, and really a fragile side project that could go belly up at any minute. I don't think he's into it mentally, it probably is to him what GN'R was to all the nu gunners - just a job. Duff is probably doing this because he's a nice guy, to help out Axl, and he's probably a bit excited about the idea of his two friends actually getting along. I think the idea of what the reunion could turn into excited him.

But, compare this regrouping to other major regroupings - Mick & Keith in 1989, Steven Tyler & Joe Perry in 1985 - both were huge media events. Even though Mick & Keith got back together purely for the money, they were excited by the prospect of conquering the stadium market. There was a media blitz for it. GN'R's regrouping is just being treated - by the band - as another day at the office; another turnover of members who just happen to be old members rejoining. There's no jubiliation or even emotional catharsis.

This could all change once Axl and Slash are on the same stage in front of a full house for the first time since 1993 - that is going to be, I think, both a very weird, surreal and very emotional moment for the both of them and could cement this regrouping as being a real thing, really bring back a genuine bond, just that euphoria of conquering a filled Arena again together, basking in the cheers of the crowds - or, it could go belly up that very night depending on how it all feels to Axl. But, I don't think anyone in the band is particularly excited for this. It's kind of the way Pink Floyd's reunion was, internally; "This is a short term thing, collect our checks, then go our separate ways; blah"

Very Interesting

ok

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2016, 08:22:33 AM »

There is absolutely no way any of us could know Axl's reasoning for wanting this.

Sure it's fun to create scenarios...

It sure will be interesting the first time Axl speaks on the matter.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2016, 08:30:41 AM »

There is absolutely no way any of us could know Axl's reasoning for wanting this.

I'd say 'if' he does. I can see them playing these shows, leaving the stage, without saying much at all personally. That would be weird if they did the shows and we still had no idea what was going on!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2016, 08:42:45 AM »

No there isn't. I was wondering if Axl and Slash have even met yet? There are lawyers to handle all that if you're not too interested in seeing someone. I don't think it's negative wondering why so silent while true we don't know.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2016, 09:01:43 AM »

I'd say 'if' he does. I can see them playing these shows, leaving the stage, without saying much at all personally. That would be weird if they did the shows and we still had no idea what was going on!

Well then basically he is never going to make another public comment again... because whether its next month or ten years from now... the first and only question is how did you make amends with Slash.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2016, 09:02:26 AM »

No there isn't. I was wondering if Axl and Slash have even met yet? There are lawyers to handle all that if you're not too interested in seeing someone. I don't think it's negative wondering why so silent while true we don't know.

Wouldn't shock me in the least to find out they have spent zero time in each others presence yet...

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2016, 09:03:33 AM »

yes, that is also my point of view. of course we can still be positively surprised - hopefully! peace

It?s all perfectly plausible, but, IMO, Axl doesn?t exactly strike me as the kind of person who will be forced into doing something.  I think if his heart wasn?t really into a reunion, he wouldn?t do it.  Like the Rock n Roll HOF induction. 

I also don?t think that his decision to want to do a reunion was based on Bumble, DJ and Tommy leaving.  I actually think it was the other way around.  I think these guys caught wind that Axl was leaning towards reunion, and that?s why they decided to leave.  When/if the story ever comes out as to how it all started, I wouldn?t be surprised if Axl and Slash started talking (or at lease communicating through their people) years ago. 
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2016, 09:05:48 AM »

It?s all perfectly plausible, but, IMO, Axl doesn?t exactly strike me as the kind of person who will be forced into doing something.  I think if his heart wasn?t really into a reunion, he wouldn?t do it.  Like the Rock n Roll HOF induction. 

I also don?t think that his decision to want to do a reunion was based on Bumble, DJ and Tommy leaving.  I actually think it was the other way around.  I think these guys caught wind that Axl was leaning towards reunion, and that?s why they decided to leave.  When/if the story ever comes out as to how it all started, I wouldn?t be surprised if Axl and Slash started talking (or at lease communicating through their people) years ago. 

Couldn't agree more... yes it would have been difficult to build a completely new lineup...AGAIN. But he 100 percent wouldn't do this unless he wanted to.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2016, 09:25:05 AM »

But much of it made a lot of sense, I think.

Here is the only thing I will add to your post, which I thought was very well reasoned and well communicated.

I don't think we are ever getting another album.  From any line-up.  I think Axl knows that it will just be touring from here on out.  And if that is going to be how its going to be, you might as well maximize your profits. 

Playing to a not even full 4,000 seat spot in Las Vegas versus 2 sold out nights at a venue 4 times the size is not much of a brain teaser.  Its fairly academic.

Whether the stadium tour happens or not, there will likely be some sort of large scale nationwide tour.  In more cities and bigger venues than he has played in some time.

I think this is largely a business move.  And a smart one. 

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2016, 09:37:46 AM »

But much of it made a lot of sense, I think.

Here is the only thing I will add to your post, which I thought was very well reasoned and well communicated.

I don't think we are ever getting another album.  From any line-up.  I think Axl knows that it will just be touring from here on out.  And if that is going to be how its going to be, you might as well maximize your profits. 

Playing to a not even full 4,000 seat spot in Las Vegas versus 2 sold out nights at a venue 4 times the size is not much of a brain teaser.  Its fairly academic.

Whether the stadium tour happens or not, there will likely be some sort of large scale nationwide tour.  In more cities and bigger venues than he has played in some time.

I think this is largely a business move.  And a smart one. 

Looking that way isn't it? Business wise, it makes sense for them all. I'd be stunned if we heard any new material at any point- unless it's archive stuff from the Chinese sessions.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2016, 09:38:09 AM »

I think it might be something of a fork in the road for the fanbase here in terms of whether you want the complete fairytale 'Behind The Music' ending where everyone is best buds again and glad to be together...

...or if you don't really care about any of that shit, and seeing them onstage together is what's important to you above all.

I'm in the latter group.  The former example would be nice, but if this was a strict business arrangement that didn't go much past time time they share occupying the stage, I'd be good with it.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2016, 09:38:20 AM »

Couldn't agree more... yes it would have been difficult to build a completely new lineup...AGAIN. But he 100 percent wouldn't do this unless he wanted to.

Axl has said he was forced into the 1991 UYI tour, and that he was pressured into doing the 2002 tour even though both times he felt he wasn't ready or didn't want to do it. It wouldn't be the first time Axl did something his heart wasn't truly in.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2016, 09:40:31 AM »

Axl has said he was forced into the 1991 UYI tour, and that he was pressured into doing the 2002 tour even though both times he felt he wasn't ready or didn't want to do it. It wouldn't be the first time Axl did something his heart wasn't truly in.

And his worst ever on stage behavior is that summer of 1991.

I don't even just mean St. Louis.  Check the bootlegs.  Not only very rarely in a good mood, but vey often in a flat out antagonistic and standoffish mood from the first song onwards.

I always figured that was due to the face he was there against his will, somewhat.

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2016, 09:44:08 AM »

I think it might be something of a fork in the road for the fanbase here in terms of whether you want the complete fairytale 'Behind The Music' ending where everyone is best buds again and glad to be together...

...or if you don't really care about any of that shit, and seeing them onstage together is what's important to you above all.

I'm in the latter group.  The former example would be nice, but if this was a strict business arrangement that didn't go much past time time they share occupying the stage, I'd be good with it.

I think there's a third group - those that want a band moving forwards. I've never been interested in nostalgia for the sake of it, and would love a move towards new material, and new ideas.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: