Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 10:09:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  DJ Says He Left GN'R - 'There's A Huge Difference Playing Somebody Else's Songs'
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DJ Says He Left GN'R - 'There's A Huge Difference Playing Somebody Else's Songs'  (Read 14714 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2016, 11:34:07 AM »

I think not releasing anything containing his work can definitely be considered at least one of the possible reasons why he left.

Of course it was.  On one hand, he has a band where he will be creative voice who's work will be used and it might even...are you sitting down...be released!

His other option is a band that was either doing nothing, or in total limbo.  Total limbo is actually what counts as the good spin on the matter.

Who can blame him?  This was not a hard call, viewed objectively. 

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2016, 11:36:04 AM »

If you're going to create a hypothetical conversation, in an ACTUAL INTERVIEW thread...I'm just saying...it might be best to label it as such, and, you know, indicate that at no point in the interview does this conversation exist, nor does any implication of any such conversation exist.

You might also perhaps give people some credit and not treat them as total idiots, capable of seeing what he was going for.

I mean...if you are making a list of options, I'm saying.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2016, 11:36:52 AM »

I edited the subject, if the original poster has an issue with it. Let me know.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2016, 11:42:20 AM »

I think not releasing anything containing his work can definitely be considered at least one of the possible reasons why he left.

Sure. It's definitely a possible reason

Did anyone say otherwise?

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2016, 11:45:36 AM »

You might also perhaps give people some credit and not treat them as total idiots, capable of seeing what he was going for.

I mean...if you are making a list of options, I'm saying.

I don't think they are idiots, nor am I treating them as such.

What I think is...lots of folks don't actually read the linked article in question, and take their impressions from the posts in the thread.

I think that because there is ample examples that it's true.

Given that, I think it's sort of bad form to post something that gives the IMPRESSION that the interview linked implies something it doesn't or that the interviewee said something they didn't. It's disingenuous.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 11:47:44 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2016, 12:07:49 PM »

What I think is...lots of folks don't actually read the linked article in question, and take their impressions from the posts in the thread.

Given that, I think it's sort of bad form to post something that gives the IMPRESSION that the interview linked implies something it doesn't or that the interviewee said something they didn't. It's disingenuous.

So...tone means nothing to you?

You figure there was even a 1% chance that someone would have read zombux's post and assumed it was real world?

That this...

DJ: "Really? Will you even show up at the rehearsal today?"
Axl: "No, not in this lifetime."

...really happened?

If you do...well, I don't know how to react to that.  I can't imagine anyone could read that and not see he was speaking hypothetically.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2016, 12:16:46 PM »

So...tone means nothing to you?

You figure there was even a 1% chance that someone would have read zombux's post and assumed it was real world?

That this...

DJ: "Really? Will you even show up at the rehearsal today?"
Axl: "No, not in this lifetime."

...really happened?

If you do...well, I don't know how to react to that.  I can't imagine anyone could read that and not see he was speaking hypothetically.

That that LITERAL conversation occurred? No.

That his hypothetical conversation was somehow implied during the interview, especially considering his "obvious" comment?

Yeah, perfectly plausible.

Look...I get it...the "dream scenario" thing hit a little close to home considering your previous discussions and you're a little sensitive.

But, to be blunt: TFB.

It's perfectly valid to point out that it was pure fantasy, and completely unrelated to the contents of the actual interview, in a thread based around an actual interview.  I'm really sorry (NOT) if that somehow sticks in your craw.

Mo Vaughn.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:19:34 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2016, 12:46:17 PM »

Axl has told the fans during the Rock in Rio III concert that it's not easy for a musician to play the parts of another one. That's what I was thinking as I was reading the interview.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2016, 12:56:07 PM »

Can we start putting DJ stuff in the exmembers section lol

DexterWRose
Opening Act

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2016, 02:12:44 PM »

As a musician myself I totally get where he's coming from. Though you grow up listening to a song or connecting to it as a fan, it's completely different than when you pour your creativity into a your own. I'm sure there's a lot of frustration on his part from not working on new stuff. Yes, it's cool as hell playing on stage with Axl Rose and doing Paradise City, but musicians need to create. I'm the kind that just likes to get things done. Type A personality that would never go 13 years working on an album. I'd go crazy. That's just me. Axl probably kept saying: Yup we will work on new stuff. Never happened probably. It is what it is though. Take it or leave it that's what it is.
Annie
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2016, 02:26:07 PM »

As a musician myself I totally get where he's coming from. Though you grow up listening to a song or connecting to it as a fan, it's completely different than when you pour your creativity into a your own. I'm sure there's a lot of frustration on his part from not working on new stuff. Yes, it's cool as hell playing on stage with Axl Rose and doing Paradise City, but musicians need to create. I'm the kind that just likes to get things done. Type A personality that would never go 13 years working on an album. I'd go crazy. That's just me. Axl probably kept saying: Yup we will work on new stuff. Never happened probably. It is what it is though. Take it or leave it that's what it is.
I think the great concert pianists who play Beethoven and Chopin might disagree with you. SIXXAM had a few good songs but their work is nowhere in the same league as Axl's.
DexterWRose
Opening Act

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2016, 02:32:07 PM »

I think the great concert pianists who play Beethoven and Chopin might disagree with you. SIXXAM had a few good songs but their work is nowhere in the same league as Axl's.

Oh hell yeah dude I agree with you. However, some guys would rather fail trying their own than succeeding doing someone else's. I'm not a fan of SIXXAM. I do you one better, I'm not even a DJ fan. I thought Robin is without a doubt the best guitarist GNR ever had in the new era. I thought DJ did well enough and Axl seemed to really like him. But Robin was more technical and creative in my opinion. I don't like anything from SIXXAM. Not even close to GNR quality.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2016, 03:15:46 PM »

Not all artists are alike. The kind of  musicians that enjoy playing someone else's work do it for that reason alone. My uncle is a classical player, plays great, Mozart and the likes. But you take off the music sheet and he gets frustrated. Never ever created a single melody for himself.

I play the guitar and write songs, Im not technically good as my uncle, but I do  enjoy and know how to create melodies.  I enjoy writing MY songs. If I ever do a cover, it ends up sounding quite different.
And like DJ ashba I would also get bored playing somebody else's songs without a creative output in sight. It doesnt matter if my songs are not as good as GNR or whatever, they are great to me, and I enjoy doing them. DJ probably feels the same for his work in SIXXAM.

If creative people felt  the need to quit playing just because they  were not as great as their predecessors that would be a damn shame.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 03:17:25 PM by Wooody » Logged

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
matty29
Headliner

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2016, 03:17:09 PM »

I was waiting for that haha. 

"This belongs in the Dead Horse section"  rofl
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2016, 03:26:37 PM »

DJ was in the band for 6 years, Bumblefoot was in the band for 9...Why in 9 years was Guns unable to release new material composed by the new members? If Axl really wanted to release stuff written by Ashba/Bumblefoot, don't you think he had more than enough time to do so?

As we've discussed, ad nauseum, time isn't always the problem.  I can't categorically answer your question..just theorize.  And you're going to theorize whatever supports your preferred narrative. And we'd just go back and forth like we always do. But, the truth is..we don't KNOW.  We're all just speculating. Right?

We've been having this conversation, literally, for years.  We don't need to rehash it, right?  Especially not in this thread since, really, it has nothing to do with the interview.  My points were made in regards to what was actually SAID by DJ in relation to what was "Obvious".

Bumblefoot said repeatedly that in his tenure, they worked on nothing new (at least to his knowledge). New being post Bucket/Robin era stuff actually composed by Bumble and/or DJ. He said repeatedly that if we were to get a next album, it would be basically what CD was: "old" songs with new overdubs. Even Richard has alluded to such when he said that 'seeds' from some of the 'new' songs went back to Slash.

It actually does have to do with the thread...DJ stated he left because he preferred playing his own material, to playing material written by others. Perhaps if Axl had given Bumble and Ashba more creative legroom, they'd still be in the band.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2016, 04:17:05 PM »

DJ was in the band for 6 years, Bumblefoot was in the band for 9...Why in 9 years was Guns unable to release new material composed by the new members? If Axl really wanted to release stuff written by Ashba/Bumblefoot, don't you think he had more than enough time to do so?

As we've discussed, ad nauseum, time isn't always the problem.  I can't categorically answer your question..just theorize.  And you're going to theorize whatever supports your preferred narrative. And we'd just go back and forth like we always do. But, the truth is..we don't KNOW.  We're all just speculating. Right?

We've been having this conversation, literally, for years.  We don't need to rehash it, right?  Especially not in this thread since, really, it has nothing to do with the interview.  My points were made in regards to what was actually SAID by DJ in relation to what was "Obvious".

Bumblefoot said repeatedly that in his tenure, they worked on nothing new (at least to his knowledge). New being post Bucket/Robin era stuff actually composed by Bumble and/or DJ. He said repeatedly that if we were to get a next album, it would be basically what CD was: "old" songs with new overdubs. Even Richard has alluded to such when he said that 'seeds' from some of the 'new' songs went back to Slash.

It actually does have to do with the thread...DJ stated he left because he preferred playing his own material, to playing material written by others. Perhaps if Axl had given Bumble and Ashba more creative legroom, they'd still be in the band.

And dj said he worked on about 13 new songs for gnr. Others have talked about working on new material, more recently...frank, dizzy, richard, and chris.

Like i said...round and round we go.

And none of it is actually discssed in the interview, really. Because he didnt say he was frustrated by release schedules, or the process.

He said, on stage, he liked performing the songs he wrote, more...with Sixx AM.

No matter what his creative output had been..do you honestly think the gnr setlist ever leans more toward "new stuff" than the hits and current cd content? Or was he always going to play more material that was "not his" than was in gnr? Exactly...

Thus, no...not relenant.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 04:23:07 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2016, 04:28:16 PM »

I was waiting for that haha. 

"This belongs in the Dead Horse section"  rofl

Yes, and Tommy too!  Let's focus on the now, people.  It's a new world out there!  hihi
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2016, 05:52:41 PM »

Please don't compare DJ to Tommy...may go postal. Angry

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2016, 06:18:58 PM »

Musical capabilities...would never dream of it.

Status as ex-members...they're the same as Teddy Zig Zag. 
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2016, 06:23:30 PM »

Musical capabilities...would never dream of it.

Status as ex-members...they're the same as Teddy Zig Zag. 

No, not really.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: