Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 04:12:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Can the GN'R fanbase EVER be satisfied?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can the GN'R fanbase EVER be satisfied?  (Read 51590 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #300 on: January 07, 2016, 10:35:31 AM »

There's also a handful of people here that consider this a "safe space" where they want to be shielded from certain questions and opinions, even if they are from fellow fans.

The correct wording would be: There's also a people here that consider this a "safe space" where they want to be shielded from pointless whining.

I'm thinking more about threads like yesterday, about the demand.

People starting kicking around the pros and cons of a stadium tour.  A topic eventually deemed too hot and all around dangerous, and moved out of the big room.

C'mon, man.  That's weak.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #301 on: January 07, 2016, 10:37:24 AM »

Taking it back to Izzy, while he was an important creative force in the band, from a live performance perspective, he really doesn't bring anything unique to the table.  So we're really not missing out on anything, other than sentimentality.
IF I have anything to really say about IZZY is he was hella great on the backup vocals. Its just something I kinda miss on some of the old tunes.

Yes!!!  This rarely gets mentioned but his backups were a huge part of the some of the old songs.  My favorite is definitely the vocals at the end of YCBM.

Yup, after the original band broke up the backing vocals have always kinda sucked! Izzy + Duff ruled it!  beer
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #302 on: January 07, 2016, 10:41:18 AM »

Taking it back to Izzy, while he was an important creative force in the band, from a live performance perspective, he really doesn't bring anything unique to the table.  So we're really not missing out on anything, other than sentimentality.
IF I have anything to really say about IZZY is he was hella great on the backup vocals. Its just something I kinda miss on some of the old tunes.

Yes!!!  This rarely gets mentioned but his backups were a huge part of the some of the old songs.  My favorite is definitely the vocals at the end of YCBM.

Yup, after the original band broke up the backing vocals have always kinda sucked! Izzy + Duff ruled it!  beer

Izzy and Duff (and O'Doyle) do in fact rule, but I loved Finck's backup vocals on the live version of Madagascar, shame that didn't make it on the record.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #303 on: January 07, 2016, 10:43:04 AM »

I'm thinking more about threads like yesterday, about the demand.

People starting kicking around the pros and cons of a stadium tour.  A topic eventually deemed too hot and all around dangerous, and moved out of the big room.

C'mon, man.  That's weak.

It's fucking boring to read your whining about GN'R. Simple as that.
Constant need to put your negative spin on most thing relating to GN'R. No wonder you love it here because that seems like the norm elsewhere, where you don't exactly stand out.

Maybe it's time you went back to wherever you came from since your mindset still is the same it's always been, and it'll probably not change anytime soon....
Like I said, I had some tiny hope that with recent events, there'd be a slight change in the attitude. But no. More of the same.

Your posts belong in 2003 or maybe 1997.

The only thing weak is you. A real Debbie Downer.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
markreed
Rocker

« Reply #304 on: January 07, 2016, 11:06:58 AM »

GNR haven't had an easy ride over the years - either by the way other people have interacted with them, the band themselves or their actions, or the media.

It would be inaccurate to pretend that isn't the case, and on occasions some of the bands own actions could be seen as somewhat self-defeating. But, on the basis of what I've seen, it seems to have been a tight ship run well the past few years. I hope it works well and I'm positive the band will very very good on stage.

"the optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds ; the pessimist fears this is true"
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #305 on: January 07, 2016, 03:44:38 PM »

I wonder if the people who kept using the term revolving door about GN'R in the past, are now also using it in regard to Duff and Slash rejoining?
Just kidding.  Wink

But it's a bit ironic that what some considered horrible and bad now seems to be in their favor.  Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #306 on: January 07, 2016, 03:46:28 PM »

a personal question jarmo if I may. You probably knew the band members better than the average guy on this forum.
do you personally miss any of them? not in terms of music.... but just as a dude you got to hang out with?

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #307 on: January 07, 2016, 03:51:22 PM »

I haven't seen any of them since June 2014.
But yeah, thinking back..... I had lots of fun times with all those guys.

/jarmo

HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #308 on: January 07, 2016, 04:49:56 PM »

I haven't seen any of them since June 2014.
But yeah, thinking back..... I had lots of fun times with all those guys.

/jarmo

Old Jarmo 2014 & New Jarmo 2016

rofl

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #309 on: January 07, 2016, 04:56:23 PM »

No, the 2016 version is older....  Hopefully wiser too.  hihi

/jarmo

HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #310 on: January 07, 2016, 05:08:11 PM »

/jarmo

Four Decades Of Life Is Much For Me !!!

I Old

rofl

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #311 on: January 07, 2016, 11:19:26 PM »

Criticizing is fine. Most of it in this forum happens in a good, respectful way backed by facts anyway.

Still, I think all of that will disappear once we get asked if we know there the fuck we are in april.

Nah, there will still be some whiners that didn't go to the show complaining on the internet and trying to validate their whining by calling it "free thinking" or "objectivity" or some other nonsense justification.
Good point as some hardcore fans are capable of whining about anything, but I think it might be different this time. Since it's a reunion, most are expecting the set list to revolve around the classic era. In the CD era(especially the beginning), hardcore fans were expecting a set list revolving around new material. It didn't happen and that's when the set list whining began from a portion of fans.

It's also weird how there seems to be a huge need to prove wrong anyone who thinks differently in the GN'R scene. If you'd like to have Steven back for example, you're wrong because technically he's not as good as Brain. If you'd like to have Brain back, you're wrong because he's not an original member. It goes round and round.

Can't see why so many are not able to actually discuss their and others' opinions. It's always us vs. them isn't it?
Great point kaas but you're just noticing this now?  hihi It's always been like this. Hell if the internet had been mainstream then, some fans would have been doing this when Sorum, Dizzy, and then Gilby joined. Izzy leaving would have made some think the sky was falling and some would have complained about his replacement.

And regarding this matter, I can totally see why surprisingly many seem to want Gilby back in GN'R. Say you grew up with the Illusion stuff, got into the live recordings and watched the videos. You probably fell in love with the band and there's nothing that can replace it, no matter how good it is. Even though Gilby did not play on the records, he was a big part of the UYI-era Guns N' Roses and had his moments live, he surely won some hearts over. And this same scenario works with any other member too..
Great point. Personally I would prefer Izzy but its not likely so I can see why Fortus would be in. I think Pawnshop Guitars kicked ass but I don't really want Gilby involved but I can see why many do. While he played on TSI, he played on most of that UYI tour which millions went to, was in GNR videos,  but thankfully I got to see them in concert right before Izzy bailed.

We all have our preferences.

I can say that pretty much the majority is happy.
Agreed, and certainly a more casual audience wouldn't complain about it at all and they're the majority of people who will be filling up the stadiums.

people say "it's not a reunion if Gilby is not there", which has no logic at all.
Yeah that's entering bat shit crazy territory.  hihi

That is so true.  Michael C Hall practically channelled David Bowie on the Steven Colbert show and there were a lot of rude remarks left in the comment section of Rollingstone.com.
Ugh. The comments section on many web sites is a cesspool of trolls. I weep for mankind when reading comments on youtube. I've noticed some people say things like "casual fans hate this reunion. They're bitching on RS, blabbermouth,etc. saying Axl sucks now, he's too old, blah blah blah". Those aren't casual fans. They're trolls. They'd be spewing garbage no matter who was the subject of the article.

I wonder if the people who kept using the term revolving door about GN'R in the past, are now also using it in regard to Duff and Slash rejoining?
Just kidding.  Wink

/jarmo

hihi

When this first happened I said I wished there was a way they could actually market it in that direction(just say they're rejoining the existing band) but obviously it's going to be called a reunion just for the fact Slash is back. No way around it. Media pounced on it immediately.

kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #312 on: January 08, 2016, 01:38:21 AM »

It's also weird how there seems to be a huge need to prove wrong anyone who thinks differently in the GN'R scene. If you'd like to have Steven back for example, you're wrong because technically he's not as good as Brain. If you'd like to have Brain back, you're wrong because he's not an original member. It goes round and round.

Can't see why so many are not able to actually discuss their and others' opinions. It's always us vs. them isn't it?
Great point kaas but you're just noticing this now?  hihi It's always been like this. Hell if the internet had been mainstream then, some fans would have been doing this when Sorum, Dizzy, and then Gilby joined. Izzy leaving would have made some think the sky was falling and some would have complained about his replacement.

Hah, of course I've noticed it many years ago too hihi And that's a good point about how internet has made a huge difference in this matter. It's so much easier to follow a band and change opinions and fight and whine about things. And you don't even have to go to a gig or buy a physical bootleg to hear them play live. It's so easy to bitch about things on a Youtube comment section and think that someone cares. Bands are much closer (not physically though) to everyone.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #313 on: January 08, 2016, 02:22:12 AM »

/jarmo

Four Decades Of Life Is Much For Me !!!

I Old

rofl

I Old too HBK  ok

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Ringoturtle
Headliner

« Reply #314 on: January 08, 2016, 08:17:28 AM »

But it's a bit ironic that what some considered horrible and bad now seems to be in their favor.  Smiley

/jarmo

What exactly do you mean by that?

All my statements represent MY OPINION. If not, I'll say so by posting references or the like
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #315 on: January 08, 2016, 08:30:56 AM »

/jarmo

What exactly do you mean by that?

He is say we complained that GNR couldn't keep any of their guitar players, and saying it was hurting the band... BUT that same revolving door brought back Slash and Duff. So what was a negative became a positive because it opened the door for this reformed/hybrid lineup.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #316 on: January 08, 2016, 08:38:22 AM »

Exactly.

And it's possible it's only a bit funny to me. I get that. But I suspect the whole revolving door thing isn't an issue at the moment.... Which is fine. Smiley

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #317 on: January 08, 2016, 08:49:27 AM »

He is say we complained that GNR couldn't keep any of their guitar players, and saying it was hurting the band... BUT that same revolving door brought back Slash and Duff. So what was a negative became a positive because it opened the door for this reformed/hybrid lineup.

Bit of a reach there, I think.

I see the overall point, on paper.  Yet I don't know anyone would ever make that argument unless they were someone that got their back up about people that were critical of the CD era.

Seems to be an attempt at relativism to make people recant some of the stuff they said over the past 10 years.  ANd would not be made by anyone that didn't think that was a truly important thing that had to happen.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #318 on: January 08, 2016, 09:07:35 AM »

Exactly.

And it's possible it's only a bit funny to me. I get that. But I suspect the whole revolving door thing isn't an issue at the moment.... Which is fine. Smiley

/jarmo

uhm, I think it is fine if it STOPS REVOLVING NOW !!

Im not a fan of the revolving door because it somehow gave me the feeling that every time someone left,  they had to start  all over again?. and made everything take longer , or maybe rerecording parts is a myth. Idunno.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #319 on: January 08, 2016, 09:22:18 AM »

Bit of a reach there, I think.

I see the overall point, on paper.  Yet I don't know anyone would ever make that argument unless they were someone that got their back up about people that were critical of the CD era.

Seems to be an attempt at relativism to make people recant some of the stuff they said over the past 10 years.  ANd would not be made by anyone that didn't think that was a truly important thing that had to happen.

I was just laying it out for Ringoturtle... I'm not nearly the introspective and self aware when it relates to my constant whining and complaining.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 09:26:19 AM by C0ma » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: