Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 04:05:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Can the GN'R fanbase EVER be satisfied?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can the GN'R fanbase EVER be satisfied?  (Read 51587 times)
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #280 on: January 06, 2016, 04:41:44 PM »

Again, Izzy to me is as big a draw as Axl and Slash.

To you yes, to the majority of people buying tickets, absolutely not.  This week I have found myself having to explain to people who own Guns N Roses albums and plan on attending any possible shows coming up who Izzy Stradlin is.  Its crazy but true.  Some were not quite sure who Duff was either.  To the majority of the public its Axl/Slash,  Tyler/Perry, Jagger/Richards, Page/Plant etc..

Yup.
And unfortunately Coachella, and promoters know this.
They can promote it as a reunion, charge full price as if it truly were one, knowing full well that the casual fan won?t notice the difference.
Until they get there, at least.
coolranchdressing
Opening Act

« Reply #281 on: January 06, 2016, 04:56:23 PM »

Good question...but also I think that a lot of "haters" (i.e. jealous people who wish they had GNR's success/passionate fans) also like to complain about GNR/never satisfied either! a lot of negativity out there...I think its more a reflection of people in general and not GNR fans!!
I myself have been a fan for 24 (s*** I feel old) years and I am SUPER happy (but sorta doubtful...its too good to be true) of this reunion. But in all honesty I will take whatever I can get...I will see any hanger-ons of the (original) GNR camp! They grew up with me in my living room (on the tv)...they are my family!
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #282 on: January 06, 2016, 04:58:56 PM »

I hear ya coolranchdressing, it's like a high school reunion with your old buddies

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
Pedrolg
Opening Act

« Reply #283 on: January 06, 2016, 05:01:40 PM »

To you yes, to the majority of people buying tickets, absolutely not. 

Izzy is, what a press release might call it, a founding member.
But never had the mainstream popularity... And what he had, he walked away from.

/jarmo

It would be cool if he was on board. What people don't understand is that if he isn't, it's because he doesn't want to. I'm pretty sure he received the call.
Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #284 on: January 06, 2016, 05:13:34 PM »

I dont know if you guys are aware of the concept of critique?
Youst because you dont agree on something doesnt mean you hate the person.
Its not that hard concept to grasp, but if anyone feels like exploring the concept... here's a link:  Critical Thinking

here's a few more
Introspection
Retrospective

for me personally, there's no point in saying the things I agree on if its implicit... or if its been said already.

I really dont intend to make 6000 posts that say "Me 2, Me 2"... and "I agree" like some of ya.

I'd rather have 2000 posts that actually have content and a thought behind them, even if that thought might be perceived as negative... it was not ad hominem, but an attempt of objective POV at the situation.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 06:12:16 PM by Lucky » Logged

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #285 on: January 06, 2016, 05:27:07 PM »

Taking it back to Izzy, while he was an important creative force in the band, from a live performance perspective, he really doesn't bring anything unique to the table.  So we're really not missing out on anything, other than sentimentality.

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #286 on: January 06, 2016, 05:28:42 PM »

Its not that hard concept to grasp, but if anyone feels like exploring the concept... here's a link:  Critical Thinking

here's a few more
Introspection
Retrospective

for me personally, there's no point in saying the things I agree on if they are implicit... or if its been said already.

I really dont intend to make 6000 posts that say "Me 2, Me 2"... and "I agree" like some of ya.

I'd rather have 2000 posts that actually have content and a thought behind them, even if that thought might be perceived as negative... it was not ad hominem, but an attempt of objective POV at the situation.

A-FUCKIN-MEN

Exactly right.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ringoturtle
Headliner

« Reply #287 on: January 06, 2016, 05:45:22 PM »

here's a few more
Introspection
Retrospective

for me personally, there's no point in saying the things I agree on if they are implicit... or if its been said already.

I like that! Couldn't have explained it better with my average english skills. Ups, I criticizes myself. Do I hate me?! No, it's all good.

As someone pointed out earlier, it's not about Izzys skills but what he played. And that stuff is more than often pretty cool and laid back without being usual. I understand the part about Gilby who didn't get it right at times.

All my statements represent MY OPINION. If not, I'll say so by posting references or the like
Pedrolg
Opening Act

« Reply #288 on: January 06, 2016, 06:00:41 PM »

Criticizing is fine. Most of it in this forum happens in a good, respectful way backed by facts anyway.

Still, I think all of that will disappear once we get asked if we know there the fuck we are in april.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #289 on: January 06, 2016, 09:55:42 PM »

To you yes, to the majority of people buying tickets, absolutely not.  This week I have found myself having to explain to people who own Guns N Roses albums and plan on attending any possible shows coming up who Izzy Stradlin is.  Its crazy but true.  Some were not quite sure who Duff was either.  To the majority of the public its Axl/Slash,  Tyler/Perry, Jagger/Richards, Page/Plant etc..

Yup.
And unfortunately Coachella, and promoters know this.
They can promote it as a reunion, charge full price as if it truly were one, knowing full well that the casual fan won?t notice the difference.
Until they get there, at least.

I think Izzy is fantastic and his contributions to GN'R are immeasurable.  He is my favorite rhythm guitarist of all time along with probably James Hetfield.  But, from a live performance perspective I think Richard Fortus wins that one, at least for me.  I have seen them both perform live with Guns N Roses , and Richards energy and playing ability are out of this world.  I don't think anybody going to the show is going to feel shortchanged by what Richard brings, probably the opposite.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 09:57:55 PM by Bodhi » Logged
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #290 on: January 06, 2016, 10:22:34 PM »

Taking it back to Izzy, while he was an important creative force in the band, from a live performance perspective, he really doesn't bring anything unique to the table.  So we're really not missing out on anything, other than sentimentality.
IF I have anything to really say about IZZY is he was hella great on the backup vocals. Its just something I kinda miss on some of the old tunes.

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #291 on: January 06, 2016, 11:18:22 PM »

Honestly, my first choice would be Izzy. Second would be Gilby because of his connection to the peak era of GN'R. Third would be Richard.
I do kind of wish Dave Kushner was in it, if only because I enjoyed his work with Slash in VR; They have good chemistry, which is important in rock. You can't just put any two guys in a band and expect them to gel.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #292 on: January 07, 2016, 02:17:14 AM »

Criticizing is fine. Most of it in this forum happens in a good, respectful way backed by facts anyway.

Still, I think all of that will disappear once we get asked if we know there the fuck we are in april.

Nah, there will still be some whiners that didn't go to the show complaining on the internet and trying to validate their whining by calling it "free thinking" or "objectivity" or some other nonsense justification.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #293 on: January 07, 2016, 03:11:52 AM »

It's also weird how there seems to be a huge need to prove wrong anyone who thinks differently in the GN'R scene. If you'd like to have Steven back for example, you're wrong because technically he's not as good as Brain. If you'd like to have Brain back, you're wrong because he's not an original member. It goes round and round.

Can't see why so many are not able to actually discuss their and others' opinions. It's always us vs. them isn't it?

And regarding this matter, I can totally see why surprisingly many seem to want Gilby back in GN'R. Say you grew up with the Illusion stuff, got into the live recordings and watched the videos. You probably fell in love with the band and there's nothing that can replace it, no matter how good it is. Even though Gilby did not play on the records, he was a big part of the UYI-era Guns N' Roses and had his moments live, he surely won some hearts over. And this same scenario works with any other member too..

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
axlvai
Rocker

« Reply #294 on: January 07, 2016, 03:27:48 AM »

I'm satisfied.... fuck the rest.

Thank you Axl. Tyvm to Slash too... and all the motherfucker in this history of GUNS!!!!

Thanks to this we have a lot of bands to enjoy!!! Rapidfire, Ten min warning... Loaded....Snakepit... a lot of contributions with Sir. E. john.... M.J.. Tom Petty.... Aerosmith.... Rolling St.....and much more!!!

Thanks Guns N Fucking Roses. CHILE IS WAITING FOR YOU GUYS!!!!

Guns N Roses Rules!!

axlvai
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #295 on: January 07, 2016, 06:04:56 AM »

One thing I know: there are lot of old faces here who came back after the news started to break in. So yeah, I think the GN'R fanbase will not be 100% satisfied with anything, but I can say that pretty much the majority is happy.

It's also weird how there seems to be a huge need to prove wrong anyone who thinks differently in the GN'R scene. If you'd like to have Steven back for example, you're wrong because technically he's not as good as Brain. If you'd like to have Brain back, you're wrong because he's not an original member. It goes round and round.
It's just the way it is. I can speak for myself: I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, I'm just backing up my opinion.

And regarding this matter, I can totally see why surprisingly many seem to want Gilby back in GN'R. Say you grew up with the Illusion stuff, got into the live recordings and watched the videos. You probably fell in love with the band and there's nothing that can replace it, no matter how good it is. Even though Gilby did not play on the records, he was a big part of the UYI-era Guns N' Roses and had his moments live, he surely won some hearts over. And this same scenario works with any other member too..
Again, if it's a matter of opinion - you like him more - it's all good. What I can't understand is how people say "it's not a reunion if Gilby is not there", which has no logic at all.

Annie
« Reply #296 on: January 07, 2016, 08:56:03 AM »

Nah, there will still be some whiners that didn't go to the show complaining on the internet and trying to validate their whining by calling it "free thinking" or "objectivity" or some other nonsense justification.
That is so true.  Michael C Hall practically channelled David Bowie on the Steven Colbert show and there were a lot of rude remarks left in the comment section of Rollingstone.com.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #297 on: January 07, 2016, 09:32:01 AM »

Most people seem fine with the concept, but let's be honest here. 

There's also a handful of people here that consider this a "safe space" where they want to be shielded from certain questions and opinions, even if they are from fellow fans.

I'm sorry, but that's weird.  Actually, I'm not sorry.  It's just fucking weird.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #298 on: January 07, 2016, 10:03:40 AM »

IF I have anything to really say about IZZY is he was hella great on the backup vocals. Its just something I kinda miss on some of the old tunes.

Yes!!!  This rarely gets mentioned but his backups were a huge part of the some of the old songs.  My favorite is definitely the vocals at the end of YCBM.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #299 on: January 07, 2016, 10:31:08 AM »

There's also a handful of people here that consider this a "safe space" where they want to be shielded from certain questions and opinions, even if they are from fellow fans.

The correct wording would be: There's also a people here that consider this a "safe space" where they want to be shielded from pointless whining.

ok

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: