Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 03:00:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Video of Duff's wife's friend mentioning reunion
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Video of Duff's wife's friend mentioning reunion  (Read 53462 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2015, 02:41:51 PM »

D-Gen, am I making a reunion skeptic out of you again, in spite of yourself?   hihi

Hahaha.  Somewhat.

I openly hate myself for being sucked into this.  But the things that you say certainly have validity.

I will not be the least bit surprised if the next time we hear from Axl he :

- laughs off the reunion question
- has no update on a new album
- can't even tell us who is in the band

Who would be surprised by that?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2015, 02:44:38 PM »

I would be very disappointed by a new lineup .. I have rolled with all of them over time, but I think enough is enough. If the touring band has a couple of new players with no connection to the music... That's not what I'm looking for/hoping for going forward.

Soooo, you'd be disappointed if GN'R started again and you don't get to choose who's in the band because some people chose to quit...

Is it fair to assume you're as happy as a pig in shit right now since your biggest fear hasn't happened? Wink

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2015, 03:10:59 PM »

I would be very disappointed by a new lineup .. I have rolled with all of them over time, but I think enough is enough. If the touring band has a couple of new players with no connection to the music... That's not what I'm looking for/hoping for going forward.

Give me the real deal. I don't even need to it be the Appetite 5... Give me Buckethead and Robin ( I realize that may be an even bigger pipe dream) ... just not x y and z.

Each successive replacement line-up becomes less legitimate in my eyes.

I know some can take great solace with what a ticket stub says, but I am not that guy.

A copy of copy of copy of a copy is just that...watered down as fuck.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2015, 03:37:04 PM »

At what point will you leave the fan sites because it's not the band you wanted it to be anymore?
Considering 4/5 of the guys that made AFD have been gone for almost 20 years, you're still around.... Surely a new line up wouldn't be a big deal of you managed to get over the old band breaking up?

Or is there some kind of magical formula that you constructed in your mind about how many times a position can be filled in a band?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2015, 04:25:44 PM »

Soooo, you'd be disappointed if GN'R started again and you don't get to choose who's in the band because some people chose to quit...

Is it fair to assume you're as happy as a pig in shit right now since your biggest fear hasn't happened? Wink

/jarmo

Yes... I would be disappointed if Axl comes out with a whole new Guns N Rose again playing a set list with no new songs...

SUE ME !

Not saying it wouldn't be good, or I wouldn't follow it, but i'd be dissapointed...yes.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 04:29:48 PM by JAEBALL » Logged

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2015, 04:53:55 PM »

And were you disappointed in December 2009? May 2006?

/jarmo

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2015, 04:56:08 PM »

/jarmo

Yes... I would be disappointed if Axl comes out with a whole new Guns N Rose again playing a set list with no new songs...

SUE ME !

Not saying it wouldn't be good, or I wouldn't follow it, but i'd be dissapointed...yes.

For me it would debend on what kinda new lineup we are talking about.   If it was a new lineup compiled out of ex players that has come back.  Well that would be ok.  A new line up complied with a bunch of new faces   Well I wouldn't be so happy about that

As much as we talk about things that happend 20-30 years ago with this band

This is still a band that relies on playing those same songs that were released back in 1987

I would love a concert with a mish mash line up playing every era of music   Especially new unreleased music
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2015, 05:10:12 PM »

Give me the real deal. I don't even need to it be the Appetite 5... Give me Buckethead and Robin ( I realize that may be an even bigger pipe dream) ... just not x y and z.

I know some can take great solace with what a ticket stub says, but I am not that guy.

This would be less of an issue if each successive lineup had made their own mark (i.e. released their own music under the Guns banner).  Instead, each successive lineup is still largely relying on AFD and UYI.  Your watered down comment is spot on.
Annie
« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2015, 05:21:15 PM »

This would be less of an issue if each successive lineup had made their own mark (i.e. released their own music under the Guns banner).  Instead, each successive lineup is still largely relying on AFD and UYI.  Your watered down comment is spot on.
I disagree. I loved all the shows that I saw. It's like long running Broadway musicals like Les Miz and Lion King. The performers change from time to time but they all bring something new to keep it fresh. I seriously wouldn't have flown all the way to NYC for just one night to see GNR at the Brooklyn Bowl if i didn't think it was going to be a once in a lifetime performance. same thing with flying to LA to see Axl get the lifetime achievement award at the Golden Gods.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 05:36:07 PM by Sweet Child O'DEXTER » Logged
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2015, 05:24:49 PM »

So your suggestion is that unless you can get the guys who recorded the songs together in concert, the band shouldn't play those songs?
What if that's not possible. Are you ok with a different line up playing those songs or would you rather have no band at all?

I mean, as things are right at this moment, there's nothing going on. So that must be exciting. No setlist to complain about, no "watered down" band to bother you, no lack of promotion to comment on day after day..... Good times!

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2015, 05:29:26 PM »

That would solve a lot of problems, actually.

Public credibility, commercial viability, relevance.  Just to name a few. 

Might not solve them completely, and of course, we don't have a crystal ball.  But we can see what the 15 songs in 15 years "plan" has wrought, haven't we?

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2015, 05:35:33 PM »

Yeah, because the general public would really accept the band if only they had released more music... Right.
"Well, it's not the same without Slash but thank God they released all these albums so it's ok". You believe in that?

Also, what do you know about commercial viability? Isn't it time you stopped repeating things that you've got no idea about by now?

Whatever the problem is at your end, and whether or not you got all the solutions to fix them, doesn't mean it's true for the world outside your sandbox. Smiley

/jarmo

OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2015, 05:42:40 PM »

And were you disappointed in December 2009? May 2006?

/jarmo

The UYI lineup is where it finished for me.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2015, 05:43:32 PM »

Glad we got that sorted.

/jarmo

OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2015, 05:44:40 PM »

Glad we got that sorted.

/jarmo

lol.. always happy to chip in mate  Wink
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2015, 05:54:19 PM »

Yeah, because the general public would really accept the band if only they had released more music... Right.
"Well, it's not the same without Slash but thank God they released all these albums so it's ok". You believe in that?

I think releasing more albums would've helped cement the band's identity in the public mind, it would've cemented the sound, and it would've justified for a wider audience the wait. Look at Black Sabbath: That band existed for a decade with only one original member, but you didn't really see the level of hate that the new band gets, because the band continued releasing material steadily and the new lineup(s) were able to establish their own identity and sound in the mainstream.

As it is, Chinese Democracy unfortunately sticks out like a sore dumb in GN'R's discography. You have 5 albums with general the same guys and crew and generally the same sound, and then a 15 year gap with a totally different set of guys, crew and sound. If Chinese Democracy had been released in 1999, it would've been a big hit, and if it had been followed up with a succession of albums on a regular basis, I think the mainstream, general public would've accepted a post-Slash GN'R a lot more than they did. That's just my opinion. I know I would've personally loved more music and stuff that was more in an experimental vein than CD, too.
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2015, 06:09:06 PM »

I think releasing more albums would've helped cement the band's identity in the public mind, it would've cemented the sound, and it would've justified for a wider audience the wait. Look at Black Sabbath: That band existed for a decade with only one original member, but you didn't really see the level of hate that the new band gets, because the band continued releasing material steadily and the new lineup(s) were able to establish their own identity and sound in the mainstream.

As it is, Chinese Democracy unfortunately sticks out like a sore dumb in GN'R's discography. You have 5 albums with general the same guys and crew and generally the same sound, and then a 15 year gap with a totally different set of guys, crew and sound. If Chinese Democracy had been released in 1999, it would've been a big hit, and if it had been followed up with a succession of albums on a regular basis, I think the mainstream, general public would've accepted a post-Slash GN'R a lot more than they did. That's just my opinion. I know I would've personally loved more music and stuff that was more in an experimental vein than CD, too.

This, this and this. It's how the majority of fans view it too.
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2015, 06:10:32 PM »

I disagree. I loved all the shows that I saw. It's like long running Broadway musicals like Les Miz and Lion King. The performers change from time to time but they all bring something new to keep it fresh. I seriously wouldn't have flown all the way to NYC for just one night to see GNR at the Brooklyn Bowl if i didn't think it was going to be a once in a lifetime performance. same thing with flying to LA to see Axl get the lifetime achievement award at the Golden Gods.

Whether you had fun at a concert has absolutely no bearing on the legitimacy of successive lineups and whether they would have had more success/respect if they were able to forge their own identity by releasing their own music.  By largely relying on AFD and UYI, they hitched their wagon to the past.  FWIT, I too have had a blast at every show I?ve gone too.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2015, 06:15:26 PM »

Ok... You think the "it's not Guns N' Roses" calls would go away by releasing a certain volume of material in a certain timeframe?
I don't agree. That kind of people have made up their minds before hearing one single note of the music.

Now, I'm not saying you wouldn't be happier about the band with more music out.

Sometimes it's easier to say things like "this would make everything better" than "this would make everything better for me, I don't know about the rest of the world".
What I don't get is the people who are so into the idea of the band succeeding and being successful, but they're often the ones who keep putting them down every chance they get.

You want more albums? Great. How come you're the one who keeps going on about how the last one was such a failure?
You want the band to be respected and known? Well, how come you spend most of your time on fan sites complaining about the same band?

That's the part I don't get.... Smiley

/jarmo

OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2015, 06:31:04 PM »

Ok... You think the "it's not Guns N' Roses" calls would go away by releasing a certain volume of material in a certain timeframe?
I don't agree. That kind of people have made up their minds before hearing one single note of the music.

Now, I'm not saying you wouldn't be happier about the band with more music out.

Sometimes it's easier to say things like "this would make everything better" than "this would make everything better for me, I don't know about the rest of the world".
What I don't get is the people who are so into the idea of the band succeeding and being successful, but they're often the ones who keep putting them down every chance they get.

You want more albums? Great. How come you're the one who keeps going on about how the last one was such a failure?
You want the band to be respected and known? Well, how come you spend most of your time on fan sites complaining about the same band?

That's the part I don't get.... Smiley

/jarmo

For me... its simple.

As soon as Slash, and Duff departed, it was the end of an era and with it.. the last of the classic Guns n Roses. 15 years later and an album that was literally nothing like the classic sound with players no-one gives a shit about didnt help.... but the clincher was so many line up changes.

If Axl had of reformed the band once.. and stuck to it for 20 years... a lot more people may have been willing to accept it... but he didnt.. we got one album, that a lot of people thought was pretty average.. and a million different line up changes and the the whole thing became a shamozzle.. whats so hard to understand?

I still enjoy watching Axl perform and whatever else.. but without those guys who helped make the music... its not GNR.. thats just the way i see it. Doesnt mean i dont want Axl to succeed either.. if he came out with a new song and it sounded great... id go for it... its nothing against the other guys who helped create chinese either.. i just didnt like the album because it wasnt that good.   

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: