Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 09:31:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Would you rather hear: CD II, or new album by new lineup?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would you rather hear: CD II, or new album by new lineup?  (Read 15697 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2015, 05:48:59 PM »

I think a lot of us would want a new album (by whoever), but I'm not sure an admittedly longshot reunion tour is a bad consolation prize.

Can anyone seriously say they'd be that heartbroken if they never heard that stuff?

Tell you why I ask.  Because I heard time and time again that people need to respect Axl's wishes and recognize all his feelings as valid, if not honorable.

So if he scraps CD II and opts for a reunion tour, isn't that him telling you he's not feeling it?

And would all the people that seemed so very concerned with his feelings have the same stance on insisting on CD II as they did with the reunion people for all the years they pined for that, Axl's wants be damned?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2015, 06:28:53 PM »

The question is, though, what material is actually going to be on CDII?  If it's been around for years, why wasn't it on Chinese Democracy in the first place? 

Maybe it's due to the limitations of the Compact Disc format?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2015, 06:31:25 PM »

Bumble (or somebody) kept talking about 74 minutes.

But can't you get 80 on a CD?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2015, 06:34:44 PM »

Playing times beyond 74 minutes aren't following the CD standard.
It's possible to add more minutes, but then you're decreasing the original track pitch on the disc.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Virolec
Rocker

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2015, 08:04:15 PM »

The question is, though, what material is actually going to be on CDII?  If it's been around for years, why wasn't it on Chinese Democracy in the first place? 

Maybe it's due to the limitations of the Compact Disc format?

/jarmo

Well, of course.  You can't fit infinite amounts of material onto an album.  But there would have been ways to release them - Chinese Democracy could have been made a double album, for instance; unreleased songs could have been substituted for some of the weaker songs that did make the cut; or indeed non-album singles, B-sides, an EP, a follow-up album released at any point between 2008 and now.  None of those have happened.  At one level I think that if Axl had a pile of material that was absolute, brilliant gold-standard music, we probably would have heard it by now. 

Or not.  Who even knows why or how or by what logic anything works with this band?  Not me, probably not anyone apart from Axl. 

Whatever the reason, there hasn't been the will or the readiness to release that music.  That's not been the priority, and fair enough.  They can do or not do what they want.  It's not my band, Axl doesn't owe me or anyone his music.   Nevertheless, I like most of the music he's done in the past, the stuff that eventually became Chinese Democracy made for an interesting record that holds up pretty well and if what's left over from that period or those sessions is of similar quality, then I would rather hear it than not.  It's stuff that was written during what was clearly a creative time in his life and came from some good collaborations.

Nargle them.  Fargle them.  Nargle-fargle them.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2015, 04:01:13 AM »

Just guessing, but I doubt the record company would've liked to release a double album at that point.

Sometimes things don't go as planned.... Doesn't mean you don't want to do those things.

/jarmo

Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2015, 05:24:52 AM »

I would rather hear CD II. I never like to see artists leave a vault of material that remains unreleased and out of their control decades later
Princess Leia
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2015, 06:28:04 AM »

Both with a trick, a double album (CD II + a new album) by the classic line up  Grin

Adler Insane

smoking

If I remember correctly Axl spent several hours talking to Adler in Vegas a few years ago. Heck! Most likely Axl has spent more hours with Adler than with Slash

hihi  smoking
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2015, 08:55:30 AM »

I would rather hear CD II. I never like to see artists leave a vault of material that remains unreleased and out of their control decades later

I hear this a lot, but do you think its a real possibility?

TB in the role of Afeni Shakur?

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2015, 09:58:39 AM »

To the original question...CD II.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
theseeker
Opening Act

« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2015, 07:02:39 PM »

Next? CD II (or rather what they finished in the studio last summer and beyond).
TheSyxer
Opening Act

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2015, 07:08:27 PM »

CD2.  If a reunion album came out with all new songs, everyone would still yearn to hear The General, Berlin, Jackie Chan, Seven, Thyme etc.
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2015, 08:29:53 AM »

I'd love a box set...Not sure how much finished material there is..But the "filler" could be some demos, live material from the various lineups and the HOB 2000/2001 Return of Axl Show...
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2015, 09:20:25 AM »

I'd love a box set...Not sure how much finished material there is..But the "filler" could be some demos, live material from the various lineups and the HOB 2000/2001 Return of Axl Show...

HOB was a really great show  ok

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
AHUGEAxlFan
Rocker

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2015, 08:06:37 PM »

i don't think anyone would care if 2 new guitarist + Richard were playing songs written by Ron and Robin.

Join the new GNR forum. GNRnow.com we need help.

I love gnr, I hope you do to! Great band

-HugeAxlfan
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2015, 10:59:14 PM »

Truthfully as possible - I liked CD1 enough to want to hear the rest first..but my gut is telling me that if this reunion is the real deal, part of the reason is an inability to finish up / settle on CD2.....I think to make this work, Axl and Slash had to come to an agreement to put the BS aside and focus together on new ideas.....which would be great.

Then, years down the road...we may hear what CD2 is all about
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2015, 11:02:07 PM »

I'd like to hear CD 2. I really liked Buckethead's and Robins contributions and want to hear more

AHUGEAxlFan
Rocker

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2015, 11:08:28 PM »

I'd like to hear CD 2. I really liked Buckethead's and Robins contributions and want to hear more
Yeah, I don't really give a shat if they are in the band or not. I don't care if it was recorded over 5 years ago (which most was) I just wanna here it. It's been so long.

Join the new GNR forum. GNRnow.com we need help.

I love gnr, I hope you do to! Great band

-HugeAxlfan
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2015, 01:14:01 AM »

I don't know if we would get an entire new album from the reunion guys, but I could see them putting together one new song as a single and something to play live.  I kinda believe they are together right now doing work.  Not sure what that work is (rehearsing, songs, planning, etc), but there are just too many rumors out there (and reasonable ones) for this not to be happening. 

Maybe they are doing one new song together to add to the mix of old and new GNR?
Maybe they are just gonna rehearse and play live, with no intention of new music?
Or fuck it, maybe they are going back to roots and gonna put together an album in weeks time?

If I had to guess, I would say it's just rehearsing to play live.  And if this is the case, I wonder what Chinese songs Slash and Duff would want to take on?  Or what Chinese songs Axl would want them to learn?  Or if any?

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
kupirock
Somewhat Damaged
Legend

« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2015, 01:45:01 AM »

CD II all the way, but it would also be interesting to hear the so called 1996 album:

The songs are really good, and I have a good vibe about it. I wouldn't want to go out and do a bad Guns N' Roses record." (Slash, Kerrang, 09/21/96)

"We have been doing mostly Axl's material." (Slash chat, 10/16/96)

"Even if we don't sell any copy of the next album, I will be very proud of what we did. But I don't worry about it, I know that what we are doing right now is great. [...] We are working on rock songs that last only 4 minutes (laughs). We already did 7 songs and we will write 7 others. [...] It will be a single album with 10 or 12 songs." (Matt, 09/23/96)

"There will be a new Guns N' Roses 12 song minimum recording with three original "B" sides." (Axl, MTV fax, 10/30/96)

"The record will be all up-tempo rock songs ("No ballads," McKagan said firmly) and it will be just 12 songs, with a release planned for next spring." (Duff, Addicted to Noise, 08/30/96)

"Hearing Don't Cry isn't all that exciting considering there are many youtube clips available of it being performed live." -from mygnr.com-
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: