Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 04:00:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  In a perfect world, what would the ideal situation be?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In a perfect world, what would the ideal situation be?  (Read 59419 times)
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2015, 01:51:51 PM »

Those 46 songs are kind of the equivalent of Zep's first 4 albums...written and released in roughly a four year period...same size catalog as Aerosmith from 73-77...Van Halen's David Lee Roth catalog in the 80's...Nirvana's catalog while Kurt was alive...all pretty damn good hard rock bands in my humble opinion.

All good hard rock bands, I agree.

Take AC/DC though. Would they have been as big as they are without Back In Black and onwards?

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #121 on: June 03, 2015, 01:54:25 PM »

of course not....
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 01:58:10 PM by sky dog » Logged

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2015, 01:57:15 PM »

of course not....however, Bon Scott's albums were damn good

Again, I agree.

It's not about what I think of the songs though. But the point I made earlier was about making an impact with the masses, being successful. Guns N' Roses did that with only 45 songs, 12 really.

Sweetness is a virtue
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2015, 01:58:59 PM »

gotcha...for the record, I don't think they need another GH or a Best Of...the catalog is fine and people can buy their own collection of songs individually through itunes,etc
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 02:04:11 PM by sky dog » Logged

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2015, 02:19:24 PM »

gotcha...for the record, I don't think they need another GH or a Best Of...the catalog is fine and people can buy their own collection of songs individually through itunes,etc

Although I buy them, I agree, they're not needed.

Sweetness is a virtue
Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #125 on: June 05, 2015, 12:50:02 PM »

I wish this band would do something to capture the imagination of the public again. The world needs a "Great" band. The music industry as a whole needs a kick in the Ass.

I've never been one to call for a reunion (god knows I've been asking to hear new music from the current band), but maybe its time for the "worlds most dangerous band" to make a comeback. To me that was the last great rock band. No one has come close to being as big and as influential since then. I mean name another band where most people can name multiple members?

Just my two cents. Not demanding, Not Whining.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #126 on: June 05, 2015, 01:05:16 PM »

My two cents is that men in their early 50"s aren't the guys to start a revolution.  hihi

and they will definitely never be the world's most dangerous band again.  Roll Eyes

4 teetotalers and a madman hardly fit that description! rofl

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #127 on: June 05, 2015, 01:10:42 PM »

I wish this band would do something to capture the imagination of the public again. The world needs a "Great" band. The music industry as a whole needs a kick in the Ass.

I've never been one to call for a reunion (god knows I've been asking to hear new music from the current band), but maybe its time for the "worlds most dangerous band" to make a comeback. To me that was the last great rock band. No one has come close to being as big and as influential since then. I mean name another band where most people can name multiple members?

Just my two cents. Not demanding, Not Whining.

All valid points. 

There is absolutely a void in rock bands right now.  There was an opportunity for GNR almost by sheer default.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #128 on: June 05, 2015, 01:23:00 PM »

My two cents is that men in their early 50"s aren't the guys to start a revolution.  hihi

and they will definitely never be the world's most dangerous band again.  Roll Eyes

4 teetotalers and a madman hardly fit that description! rofl

Im not even saying start a revolution. Certainly a new album by them would generate some buzz around the industry. That followed by a tour would be incredible.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #129 on: June 05, 2015, 01:56:28 PM »

Im not even saying start a revolution. Certainly a new album by them would generate some buzz around the industry. That followed by a tour would be incredible.

It would.

But its going to take some actual publicity.  Not just an interview with Billboard 3 months after it drops, when no has heard from you in forever.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
AXLRIVERS
Headliner

« Reply #130 on: June 05, 2015, 02:02:02 PM »

Probably 10 years to late now. The 'kids' wont get on board with a bunch of 50 year olds now.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #131 on: June 05, 2015, 02:05:26 PM »

Probably 10 years to late now. The 'kids' wont get on board with a bunch of 50 year olds now.

Yeah, they missed their window bungling the last release, I agree.

Even if they could just get one song that might become a radio staple, that would be something.

Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #132 on: June 05, 2015, 02:58:51 PM »

If were speaking about the current lineup yes if its about a reunion I disagree. I think that the AFD and UYI lineups (w/ Izzy), are so legendary that whatever they do will sell. That band will never have a window.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #133 on: June 05, 2015, 03:08:09 PM »

I think Axl has let so much time pass by, he's painted himself into a corner.
It?s taken some real effort to diminish, but the legacy of Guns N? Roses has taken a hit over the years, and the longer they go without a release, the more watered down it becomes, and the more foolish he looks.

The public?s curiosity of what he was up to all those years, and what he had up his sleeves was appeased upon the release of Chinese Democracy.
It didn?t strike a chord, so they won?t be lining up to purchase ?the second half?.

People want to see him and Slash playing together again, so I think the reception of a reunion would still be very positive.
But having been so outspoken, steadfastly against it for so long, even with a change of heart, does Axl even consider that to be an option?

Regardless of who?s at fault, and I?m sure there?s plenty of blame pie to go around, things have been handled so poorly for so long, that there is no obvious next play.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #134 on: June 05, 2015, 03:21:50 PM »

I think Axl has let so much time pass by, he's painted himself into a corner.
It?s taken some real effort to diminish, but the legacy of Guns N? Roses has taken a hit over the years, and the longer they go without a release, the more watered down it becomes, and the more foolish he looks.

The public?s curiosity of what he was up to all those years, and what he had up his sleeves was appeased upon the release of Chinese Democracy.
It didn?t strike a chord, so they won?t be lining up to purchase ?the second half?.

People want to see him and Slash playing together again, so I think the reception of a reunion would still be very positive.
But having been so outspoken, steadfastly against it for so long, even with a change of heart, does Axl even consider that to be an option?

Regardless of who?s at fault, and I?m sure there?s plenty of blame pie to go around, things have been handled so poorly for so long, that there is no obvious next play.

Very well said.  Agree with all of that.

Its a lesser case of what might have been, on top of the elephant in the room case of what might have been when it comes to this band.

Its a shame.

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #135 on: June 05, 2015, 07:24:39 PM »

Its a lesser case of what might have been, on top of the elephant in the room case of what might have been when it comes to this band.

Its a shame.

The whole "what might could have/might have been" theme to the Guns N Roses classic line up is no doubt a very common thing that is brought up a lot.  I have been a fan of the band since the Illusion line up was together, and I don't really feel like there is anything that band didn't accomplish.  Top selling debut of all time, had the biggest stadium tours, only band to put out 2 albums in one day and have them both chart at the top of the Billboard charts...etc..  To me there isn't any unfinished business there.  Thats why I am not into the whole reunion idea.

The only thing I would change about everything that went down with that band is I wish they would have gotten just one more record out sometime in 1994 or 1995. The only reason for that is so we wouldn't to this day have to hear the common misconception that Nirvana somehow ended their career, which is a load of bullshit.  Aerosmith had their biggest record in 1994 and Metallica had enormous success with Load in 1996.  I have no doubt GNR would have gotten another number 1 record and had the same amount of success as those guys.  The fact is, GNR were hanging on by a thread before the Illusions even came out, that band was a time bomb.  The timing of that bands break up and Nirvana hitting it big was pure coincidence.

There are still journalists who will lump GNR in with hair metal bands because of this.  Now does what some clueless journalist has to say really matter?  No.  But as a fan it is annoying to hear the end of old GNR constantly brought up when reading stories or watching documentaries on Nirvana.  The two had nothing to do with each other.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 07:27:41 PM by Bodhi » Logged
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #136 on: June 05, 2015, 08:59:32 PM »

spot on bro

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #137 on: June 06, 2015, 03:27:24 AM »

Its a shame.

The whole "what might could have/might have been" theme to the Guns N Roses classic line up is no doubt a very common thing that is brought up a lot.  I have been a fan of the band since the Illusion line up was together, and I don't really feel like there is anything that band didn't accomplish.  Top selling debut of all time, had the biggest stadium tours, only band to put out 2 albums in one day and have them both chart at the top of the Billboard charts...etc..  To me there isn't any unfinished business there.  Thats why I am not into the whole reunion idea.

The only thing I would change about everything that went down with that band is I wish they would have gotten just one more record out sometime in 1994 or 1995. The only reason for that is so we wouldn't to this day have to hear the common misconception that Nirvana somehow ended their career, which is a load of bullshit.  Aerosmith had their biggest record in 1994 and Metallica had enormous success with Load in 1996.  I have no doubt GNR would have gotten another number 1 record and had the same amount of success as those guys.  The fact is, GNR were hanging on by a thread before the Illusions even came out, that band was a time bomb.  The timing of that bands break up and Nirvana hitting it big was pure coincidence.

There are still journalists who will lump GNR in with hair metal bands because of this.  Now does what some clueless journalist has to say really matter?  No.  But as a fan it is annoying to hear the end of old GNR constantly brought up when reading stories or watching documentaries on Nirvana.  The two had nothing to do with each other.

Great points! ok

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2015, 09:48:25 AM »

Its a shame.

Nirvana spelling the end of GN?R is obviously revisionist history.
Guns demise was self-inflicted.

But clash of personalities aside, tough to think the tank was empty, whereas their last album of original material ranks among the great rock records in history.
Sure it would be a tall task to match that performance, but I?m not sure hearing Axl?s voice singing over Izzy riffs, Slash solos etc would all of a sudden sound stale in ?94, ?95. Maybe they had a lot more to offer. Maybe they truly were out of gas, and it?s for the best that they split, and while the Guns back catalogue is modest in numbers, the material is potent.

So I'd agree that if there was a time for the classic lineup to get their shit together, and record another album, it was during the mid 90's.
I don't feel the need for one now.

Regret comes into play with the fact that while Slash, Duff, Izzy, Matt were all able to move on and continue their careers, Axl has been treading water at best since the split.
While it?s never ideal to watch great bands disintegrate, at least you typically get a chance to follow each members career moving forward.
Axl seemed to be in his creative prime with UYI, and to think he?s only managed 1 album in the 24 years that have followed is tough to wrap your head around.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2015, 02:19:53 PM »

Its a shame.

Nirvana spelling the end of GN?R is obviously revisionist history.
Guns demise was self-inflicted.

But clash of personalities aside, tough to think the tank was empty, whereas their last album of original material ranks among the great rock records in history.
Sure it would be a tall task to match that performance, but I?m not sure hearing Axl?s voice singing over Izzy riffs, Slash solos etc would all of a sudden sound stale in ?94, ?95. Maybe they had a lot more to offer. Maybe they truly were out of gas, and it?s for the best that they split, and while the Guns back catalogue is modest in numbers, the material is potent.

So I'd agree that if there was a time for the classic lineup to get their shit together, and record another album, it was during the mid 90's.
I don't feel the need for one now.

Regret comes into play with the fact that while Slash, Duff, Izzy, Matt were all able to move on and continue their careers, Axl has been treading water at best since the split.
While it?s never ideal to watch great bands disintegrate, at least you typically get a chance to follow each members career moving forward.
Axl seemed to be in his creative prime with UYI, and to think he?s only managed 1 album in the 24 years that have followed is tough to wrap your head around.

Chinese Democracy far and away outshined any of the releases by other alumni imo.

I perfer quality over quantity, I enjoy CD very much-it would be my album of choice for the 2000s.

Am very excited for the next release Smiley

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: