Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 09:39:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Brain interview (Feb 2015) on the I'd Hit That podcast
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brain interview (Feb 2015) on the I'd Hit That podcast  (Read 40618 times)
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #160 on: March 10, 2015, 06:18:16 PM »

But Fortus, Thal and Ferrer are not credited as songwriters on a single song. For me this is another sign that CD (and the other 22 unreleased songs Tommy was talking about) has already been finished in 1999-2000.

Agreed.

It doesn't affect whether I enjoy the song.  But it certainly affects how seriously I can take the guys onstage as a legit band.

CD showed me that the guys who put that album together were a pretty decent band.  But the guys who wound up playing the songs onstage?  I have no idea what they are capable of as a band.

and we don't seem terribly interested in finding out either.  Which is either quizzical or alarming, depending on your interpretation of the concept of a band.

So just for the sake of discussion I am going to throw this out there

So Axl may have 22 songs already in the bag.   Very close to being called finished if not already

This November he releases a 14 track album.  Now this album is just full of older songs, as mentioned above.  The 22

Now about 3/4 of the current band will not be credited as being on the album

I personally wouldn't care, as it doesn't take away my enjoyment at all from listening to the music

But do you think it takes away the enjoyment of this current band. Once again having to play someone else's songs?

Do you think Frank has been given a chance to even hear any of these 22 songs let alone learn how to play them?  

I would say they would all have to learn how to play theses songs that someone else wrote

Again, just tossing that out there.  For all I know the boys have all reworked the material to but the current bands spin on it
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #161 on: March 10, 2015, 06:19:58 PM »

I am also not a fan of people that go to a guns show and complain about the start time.

Then you here reasons for complaining like. They have to work in the morning, what about the children!, what about public transportation shutting down

Who cares really.  Some people need to get out of there own little bubble.   If you don't know that guns may come on stage a little late, you are not a fan and go crawl back under that rock you have been living under.   These are the same,people that are probably asking me to sit down cause they don't want to stand at a rock show.  Guess what I have kids. I work, you go to concert.  You figure this stuff out.   It's not hard

***DISCLAIMER : I did not introduce this topic.  I am simply commenting on it as a topic that came up.***

I think you are oversimplifying it more than a wee bit.  

Telling someone to sit down in front of you is the same as telling someone that to see a concert, they might have to take off work the next day?  They are the same to you?

***DISCLAIMER I WILL TYPE IN ASTERISKS TO DRAW ATTENTION TO MYSELF AND MY WHINING***

crying

Oh yeah.  Like I really need to take special steps to get you to pay attention to me, sweetheart.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #162 on: March 10, 2015, 06:23:20 PM »

I personally wouldn't care, as it doesn't take away my enjoyment at all from listening to the music

But do you think it takes away the enjoyment of this current band. Once again having to play someone else's songs?

This is real easy.

Take the line up that completed the most recent tours : Rose/Ashba/Fortus/Thal/Stinson/Reed/Pittman/Ferrer

What can they do as a band?  I have no earthly idea.  No clue.  I have zero indication what those 8 guys would create if they got down to it.

But this does not affect my enjoyment of anything on CD.  Or anything on any next album, which will be more of the same in terms of songs done by NOT these guys.  If the songs are good, the songs are good.

But is it the work of those 8 guys on the stage?  Absolutely not.  Those 8 fellas, I can't speak on what they would do if let loose.  No one can.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #163 on: March 10, 2015, 06:23:51 PM »

I am also not a fan of people that go to a guns show and complain about the start time.

Then you here reasons for complaining like. They have to work in the morning, what about the children!, what about public transportation shutting down

Who cares really.  Some people need to get out of there own little bubble.   If you don't know that guns may come on stage a little late, you are not a fan and go crawl back under that rock you have been living under.   These are the same,people that are probably asking me to sit down cause they don't want to stand at a rock show.  Guess what I have kids. I work, you go to concert.  You figure this stuff out.   It's not hard

***DISCLAIMER : I did not introduce this topic.  I am simply commenting on it as a topic that came up.***

Telling someone to sit down in front of you is the same as telling someone that to see a concert, they might have to take off work the next day?  They are the same to you?

***DISCLAIMER I WILL TYPE IN ASTERISKS TO DRAW ATTENTION TO MYSELF AND MY WHINING***

crying

Oh yeah.  Like I really need to take special steps to get you to pay attention to me, sweetheart.

Poor you, so attention deprived, so desperate  crying

Not your "sweetheart" that is offensive and sexist. Don't make me come up with a pet name for you Wink

What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #164 on: March 10, 2015, 06:24:52 PM »

I welcome all nicknames.  I feel you and I have that sort of chummy rapport.

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #165 on: March 10, 2015, 06:26:46 PM »

But Fortus, Thal and Ferrer are not credited as songwriters on a single song. For me this is another sign that CD (and the other 22 unreleased songs Tommy was talking about) has already been finished in 1999-2000.

Agreed.

It doesn't affect whether I enjoy the song.  But it certainly affects how seriously I can take the guys onstage as a legit band.

CD showed me that the guys who put that album together were a pretty decent band.  But the guys who wound up playing the songs onstage?  I have no idea what they are capable of as a band.

and we don't seem terribly interested in finding out either.  Which is either quizzical or alarming, depending on your interpretation of the concept of a band.

So Axl may have 22 songs already in the bag.   Very close to being called finished if not already

This November he releases a 14 track album.  Now this album is just full of older songs, as mentioned above.  The 22

Do you think Frank has been given a chance to even hear any of these 22 songs let alone learn how to play them?  

I would say they would all have to learn how to play theses songs that someone else wrote

Again, just tossing that out there.  For all I know the boys have all reworked the material to but the current bands spin on it

As a music fan, don't you find it really silly and very surface level that some "fans" would limit their enjoyment of new music simply because of who has songwriting credits?

You bring up very interesting and intriguing points  ok

"Shut the fuck up."
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #166 on: March 10, 2015, 06:28:15 PM »

Yes those two groups of people are the same to me. Part of the unwashed masses stuck in there own little world   There are many more types of people that I can toss in the unwashed group.  The airplane bums, (people that stand up when the plane lands, like some how they are going to now get off quicker.  The people that stand right as close to the baggage carousel blocking people behind them, like there bag is going to be the first off, never is). I could go on and on

Back to the concerts though.  U know what you are getting with a guns n roses show.  If you can't be out late.  Don't go. Don't try and blame the band and get them to conform to your own little world.  For a night conform to the bands world

I have to work, I have kids, I may live a far ways away from the venue.  But I also find a way to figure it all out and enjoy myself  
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #167 on: March 10, 2015, 06:31:14 PM »

Agreed.

As a music fan, don't you find it really silly and very surface level that some "fans" would limit their enjoyment of new music simply because of who has songwriting credits?

I couldn't care less who has song writing credits, being a fan.  It should never take away from the enjoyment we get from listening to the music

Sure we all have our fav artists we would want to hear from the most.   But as a fan of Axl and the band , it doesn't really matter to me

To the current band members it may be a bigger deal
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #168 on: March 10, 2015, 06:36:24 PM »

Agreed.

I couldn't care less who has song writing credits, being a fan.  It should never take away from the enjoyment we get from listening to the music

Sure we all have our fav artists we would want to hear from the most.   But as a fan of Axl and the band , it doesn't really matter to me

I agree, some can't separate their entitlement issues from the sheer appreciation of music as an art form.

Some people mistakenly think they have some sort of input into production, management, songwriting and selection of band members simply because they purchased a few albums or attended a few shows.

I'm very much looking forward to the next album and touring cycle  beer

"Shut the fuck up."
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #169 on: March 10, 2015, 06:36:55 PM »

Yes those two groups of people are the same to me. Part of the unwashed masses stuck in there own little world.

Well, I could not disagree with that in strong enough terms.

Saying someone at the show asking you to sit down is analogous to a person having to take a day off from work to see a simple rock show are not the least bit analogous to me.

You are attempting to compare a situation of undefined, "just be cool, bro" concertgoing etiquette with real world responsibilities any functioning adult is going to have in their actual lives.

Back to the concerts though.  U know what you are getting with a guns n roses show.  If you can't be out late.  Don't go. Don't try and blame the band and get them to conform to your own little world.  For a night conform to the bands world

I have to work, I have kids, I may live a far ways away from the venue.  But I also find a way to figure it all out and enjoy myself  

And bully for you.

I could also do it.  We own our own business.  If I need off, I double check with myself, and I approve it.

Am I everybody?  Of course not.  I'm fortunate.  Not everyone is.  

And even if you want to revert right back telling fans to shut their fucking yap and just make it happen, well, not everyone can.  Maybe they can't afford the added cost of an all night babysitter.  Or an exorbinant late night cab ride home.  Or a missed day of work.

And "well, fuck 'em then" is fine as a lark on a message board.  That's just two dudes talking.  As an actual legit business plan, its pretty bonkers.  There's a reason no other major band runs things this way.  Its bad business.  No rational band will take a 75% filled place of indeterminate size over a 100% attendance in a good spot.

For what?  To say you are keeping some sort of vague spirit of rock n' roll burning?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 06:40:49 PM by D-GenerationX » Logged

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #170 on: March 10, 2015, 06:39:40 PM »

You keep repeating this like someone is making that point.  Where is that happening?

This, I agree with.  These guys are incredible sports.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #171 on: March 10, 2015, 06:40:17 PM »

Why is everyone so upset about these fines and overtime costs, when the band will be there till 7 am regardless

They are upset because GN'R doesn't do what the Bon Jovis of the world are doing. In other words, GN'R is different. It upsets several fans because they don't like it! God damn it!
They don't even attend shows in their neighborhood, but it upsets them! For years.

And who with the venue is still there with the band?  Is there some old janitor just hanging out with a big set of keys waiting for the boys to leave so he can lock the door?

Security and stuff like that.

I think the cleaners come to work in the morning.  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #172 on: March 10, 2015, 06:51:32 PM »

Yes those two groups of people are the same to me. Part of the unwashed masses stuck in there own little world.

Saying someone at the show asking you to sit down is analogous to a person having to take a day off from work to see a simple rock show are not the least bit analogous to me.

You are attempting to compare a situation of undefined, "just be cool, bro" concertgoing etiquette with real world responsibilities any functioning adult is going to have in their actual lives.

And bully for you.

I could also do it.  We own our own business.  If I need off, I double check with myself, and I approve it.

And even if you want to revert right back telling fans to shut their fucking yap and just make it happen, well, not everyone can.  Maybe they can't afford the added cost of an all night babysitter.  Or an exorbinant late night cab ride home.  Or a missed day of work.

And "well, fuck 'em then" is fine as a lark on a message board.  That's just two dudes talking.  As an actual legit business plan, its pretty bonkers.  There's a reason no other major band runs things this way.  Its bad business.  No rational band will take a 75% filled place of indeterminate size over a 100% attendance in a good spot.

For what?  To say you are keeping some sort of vague spirit of rock n' roll burning?

If someone's life is so strict they can change there mon to fri 9-5 routine.  Or they are struggling in life and can't afford to take time off work or just can't take time off work.  Or have young kids and can't find someone to watch them.  Then going to a guns n roses concert may not be the best option for you

Again you know what you get when u go to a guns n roses show.  It may start late and it may go 3 hrs.   And I would suggest joe blow rock fan would know that.   Mb guns should just promote and anounce that the show will start very late.  So there is no room for complaints.  I know what u get when you buy the ticket.   But I don't think they have to.  They have been around long enough and chances are this is not the first time they are putting a show on in your city

The kids issue really bothers me.  The excuse of not having a babysitter.   Then don't go!!!!  Stay home with your little kids.  I will bring up the airports again. As on a recent flight there has a handful of new born babies flying with there you g parents to a very remote hot destination.  Crying and screaming the whole flight.   Well I am really sure these 2 month old babies are really getting a lot out of this trip.   My eardrums sure did.  But these are the parents that are caught up in there own little world.  As they want to go on a trip!!!   Wait till your kids are a little bigger to go on a trip.  So people don't have to listen to screaming and get hit by stollers.   If you have little kids at home and are worried about a sitter now because husband and wife want to check out gnr.  Mb don't go.  Mb wait a few years till the kids get bigger so u have one less thing to worry about
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #173 on: March 10, 2015, 06:58:15 PM »

If someone's life is so strict they can change there mon to fri 9-5 routine.  Or they are struggling in life and can't afford to take time off work or just can't take time off work.  Or have young kids and can't find someone to watch them.  Then going to a guns n roses concert may not be the best option for you.

And I'd agree.

But I am a person that has zero problem saying "that's the way its always been and will not change" and follow it right up with "...but its fucking stupid and might cost some fans a chance to see the band."

I hold both positions on this particular topic. 

Hold them both under no illusions things will ever, ever change.  But I also don't see the rationale that simply because its my favorite band doing things in this manner, I'm supposed to not say what I think of it.  Or, even worse, try and church it up and explain how its all awesome.

Is what it is.  And like you say, we all know the deal.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #174 on: March 10, 2015, 07:08:08 PM »

On the other hand, you seem to have a problem with saying: "That's how Axl is, and I respect it since he goes on when he's ready to perform at his best for two-three hours instead of faking it for an hour and a half".

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #175 on: March 10, 2015, 08:09:55 PM »

On the other hand, you seem to have a problem with saying: "That's how Axl is, and I respect it since he goes on when he's ready to perform at his best for two-three hours instead of faking it for an hour and a half".

I would have a problem saying it because I don't believe it.

Much as you would presumably roll your eyes at what I'm saying, I roll my eyes at that.

Different perspectives, is all.

draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #176 on: March 10, 2015, 08:16:23 PM »

And bully for you.

If someone's life is so strict they can change there mon to fri 9-5 routine.  Or they are struggling in life and can't afford to take time off work or just can't take time off work.  Or have young kids and can't find someone to watch them.  Then going to a guns n roses concert may not be the best option for you

Again you know what you get when u go to a guns n roses show.  It may start late and it may go 3 hrs.   And I would suggest joe blow rock fan would know that.   Mb guns should just promote and anounce that the show will start very late.  So there is no room for complaints.  I know what u get when you buy the ticket.   But I don't think they have to.  They have been around long enough and chances are this is not the first time they are putting a show on in your city

The kids issue really bothers me.  The excuse of not having a babysitter.   Then don't go!!!!  Stay home with your little kids.  I will bring up the airports again. As on a recent flight there has a handful of new born babies flying with there you g parents to a very remote hot destination.  Crying and screaming the whole flight.   Well I am really sure these 2 month old babies are really getting a lot out of this trip.   My eardrums sure did.  But these are the parents that are caught up in there own little world.  As they want to go on a trip!!!   Wait till your kids are a little bigger to go on a trip.  So people don't have to listen to screaming and get hit by stollers.   If you have little kids at home and are worried about a sitter now because husband and wife want to check out gnr.  Mb don't go.  Mb wait a few years till the kids get bigger so u have one less thing to worry about

I strongly disagree with you. Axl needs to realize that his fanbase is much older now than before. Some people can't get off of work or find a baby sitter. For me, I work at Bloomberg which is very busy and competitive in the company. Although I have 27 vacation days this year since I've been there for 14 years, it's hard for me to  take off sometimes. It's just the nature of the business that I'm in.  Another example is Slash & Aerosmith. They were the Prudential Center in Newark back in November. The concert was on a Wednesday. My friend couldn't find a babysitter for the night. He also didn't want to take the next day off. I felt the same way since it was in the middle of the week.

Rock bands of the 80s & 90s have to realize that they are old along with the fans. There just comes up a point where you can't expect your fans to be at your concerts since they now have responsibilities. It's a part of life.  
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #177 on: March 10, 2015, 08:19:21 PM »

I strongly disagree with you. Axl needs to realize that his fanbase is much older now than before. Some people can't get off of work or find a baby sitter. For me, I work at Bloomberg which is very busy and competitive in the company. Although I have 27 vacation days this year since I've been there for 14 years, it's hard for me to  take off sometimes. It's just the nature of the business that I'm in.  Another example is Slash & Aerosmith. They were the Prudential Center in Newark back in November. The concert was on a Wednesday. My friend couldn't find a babysitter for the night. He also didn't want to take the next day off. I felt the same way since it was in the middle of the week.

Rock bands of the 80s & 90s have to realize that they are old along with the fans. There just comes up a point where you can't expect your fans to be at your concerts since they now have responsibilities. It's a part of life.  

Yep.

And its a shame that things devolve right to "that's how it always was!" or "then stay home, loser."

Totally misses the point being made.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #178 on: March 10, 2015, 08:35:26 PM »

Yep.

And its a shame that things devolve right to "that's how it always was!" or "then stay home, loser."

Totally misses the point being made.

Hey not everyone is meant to go to a concert

So a band that does not tour that often hi would like them to conform to the masses and work on a better performing schedual that appeals to a wider range of fans that would other wise not be able to make the show

I say this wider range of fans should conform to the band.  That doesn't tour that often and you may not be able to see for a while.  If for one night and one morning you in your life can't conform to the bands scedual I say you shouldn't be there

It's like me saying I wish some of my all time fav European bands would travel to Canada and play shows closer to me.  I want them to conform to what I want.  No that's not how it should work.  If I want to see one of these bands I conform to there schedual and travel to see them.  If I can't travel.  I don't start a giant fuss about how they never tour Canada!   If you can't make it to a gnr show you can't....    Don't expect the band to change to fit your needs. 
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #179 on: March 10, 2015, 08:47:20 PM »

If you can't make it to a gnr show you can't....    Don't expect the band to change to fit your needs. 

That's the thing though.  I'm not sure anyone is planting a flag in the ground and calling for revolution on the subject.

We all know the deal.  Shit ain't gonna change.

It just comes down to some seeing it as an unfortunate circumstance that can lead to difficulty for some of the band's fans, and others feeling its their duty to attempt to shame and belittle anyone that dares utter that aloud.  As if they are somehow dissing the band by pointing this out.

I don't see that connection.

I can only speak for myself, obviously.  But if someone told me they couldn't do a mid-week show because of work, or because a sitter or special transportation would put the pinch on them financially, I would never then make fun of them for it.  Nor question their fandom, generally tell them to fuck off, and go follow some other band, you loser.

Those are horrible things to say to a person.  Over a rock concert?

Nah.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: