Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 09:13:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Brain interview (Feb 2015) on the I'd Hit That podcast
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brain interview (Feb 2015) on the I'd Hit That podcast  (Read 40583 times)
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2015, 12:02:41 PM »

Everyone leaves this band for the same reasons.  And they all knew the deal going in.  But they all think, this time, it will be different once they get in the mix.  They will change the game where others have failed.

I don't think that's true.

Izzy left because it all got too big.
Duff because of the business side I guess.
Slash because of a lot of things. Mainly musical differences and maybe personal reasons.
Paul because he wasn't comfortable on the stage.
Bucket.. business is my guess.
Robin quit almost a year after his last tour. My guess is the CD delay.
Ron... well if late-times is his excuse, I must say he picked a strange time to quit as Guns have been improving those more and more for each year.

Wrong. He left because he rejoined NIN .

Do you think he would've done that if CD came earlier?

for example Bumblefoot has releasead and promoted two solo albums in 2008 . So I can't see why not.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2015, 12:06:19 PM »

for example Bumblefoot has releasead and promoted two solo albums in 2008 . So I can't see why not.

So... you're saying if CD would've been released earlier he wouldn't have quit GNR..

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Sosso
VIP

« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2015, 12:09:24 PM »

So... you're saying if CD would've been released earlier he wouldn't have quit GNR..

No. I basicly said that the release of CD didn't blocked any side project because there was not a lot of promotion and no touring (until the very end of 2009) anyway.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2015, 12:12:49 PM »

No. I basicly said that the release of CD didn't blocked any side project because there was not a lot of promotion and no touring (until the very end of 2009) anyway.

But if CD was released earlier, the tour would surely have started a lot sooner than the end of 2009. I think he would have stayed on board for the release and subsequent tour.

Sweetness is a virtue
Sosso
VIP

« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2015, 12:15:24 PM »

But if CD was released earlier, the tour would surely have started a lot sooner than the end of 2009. I think he would have stayed on board for the release and subsequent tour.

We can only assume what would have been and what not.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2015, 12:17:48 PM »

I guess you can say that he ultimately had to quit GN'R because he had joined (and committed to) NIN, and he had joined NIN as a result of the delay.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 12:19:30 PM by Spirit » Logged

Sweetness is a virtue
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2015, 12:19:31 PM »

I agree with Spirit.  It was the absurd delay that led to Robin cashing out and going back to NIN.

Axl gave Robin far more artistic and creative freedom than Trent ever did.  On paper, GNR was the better deal.

In reality, he started to wonder if this thing was ever going to happen and took the surer gig, even if it wasn't as attractive artistically.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Sosso
VIP

« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2015, 12:23:50 PM »

Of course GN'R was the better deal for him. Because in NIN he was "only" a part of the live-band.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2015, 12:29:21 PM »

I agree with Spirit.  It was the absurd delay that led to Robin cashing out and going back to NIN.

Axl gave Robin far more artistic and creative freedom than Trent ever did.  On paper, GNR was the better deal.

In reality, he started to wonder if this thing was ever going to happen and took the surer gig, even if it wasn't as attractive artistically.

An in-depth interview about GNR with Robin would have been interesting. CD was his first full-length album with him as the main lead guitar player. You have to wonder if he has regrets for pulling out at the time that he did. In hindsight, pretty much the worst possible time as the album came out merely 7 months after the fact.

Sweetness is a virtue
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2015, 12:30:00 PM »

Of course GN'R was the better deal for him. Because in NIN he was "only" a part of the live-band.

He did get to record their next album after he joined.

Sweetness is a virtue
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2015, 12:35:03 PM »

I didn't say it was ridiculous. I said it's normal. (Don't know if that was aimed at me...  Wink)

Nah, just the ones who are looking for things that are ridiculous about their favorite band.

I didn't catch if this was their last rehearsal before leaving for Rio. If it was, I can sort of understand that Axl wanted to have they play the set once, and then have a second, final walk-through before packing their gear.

As far as I remember, Brain said that he thinks it was the day before the gear was gonna be shipped.

Did anybody pick up on the fact that Brain thought it was a great time when he was in GN'R?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #131 on: March 10, 2015, 12:41:54 PM »

An in-depth interview about GNR with Robin would have been interesting. CD was his first full-length album with him as the main lead guitar player. You have to wonder if he has regrets for pulling out at the time that he did. In hindsight, pretty much the worst possible time as the album came out merely 7 months after the fact.

I go back and forth on this point.

For starters, yes, I agree he left at the worst possible time.  Stays all that time then quits in the homestretch.  Like running 25 and a half miles of a marathon then stopping.

But, we are also only able to say that in hindsight.  At the time Robin left, what assurance did he have that the album would be out so soon afterwards?  So, in that sense, I'm sure he kicked himself when he first heard of the release date.

Using that same concept of hindsight, however, he is also able to look how things have been handled since it did come out.  Do you think he has any regrets?  I really don't.  Here's an album that was his first real chance to shine creatively, and the big chief in charge of it all doesn't seem to pay it any nevermind.  I think he'd have stronger regrets if the release and the time immediately after was handled at all competently, which is most certainly was not.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #132 on: March 10, 2015, 12:59:23 PM »

For starters, yes, I agree he left at the worst possible time.  Stays all that time then quits in the homestretch.  Like running 25 and a half miles of a marathon then stopping.

But, we are also only able to say that in hindsight.  At the time Robin left, what assurance did he have that the album would be out so soon afterwards?  So, in that sense, I'm sure he kicked himself when he first heard of the release date.

Using that same concept of hindsight, however, he is also able to look how things have been handled since it did come out.  Do you think he has any regrets?  I really don't.  Here's an album that was his first real chance to shine creatively, and the big chief in charge of it all doesn't seem to pay it any nevermind.  I think he'd have stronger regrets if the release and the time immediately after was handled at all competently, which is most certainly was not.

I have thought about it, and I think the release process would have been handled differently if Buckethead, Brain and Robin Finck had been in the band at the time. Think about it, three key players (four actually if we count Paul Tobias) from that album aren't around for the promotion round. Finck was one of the main contributors, so even with only him present from the above mentioned group I think the promotion could have been more prominent.

I think that could be one of the reasons that Axl just wanted to release the album and take the time to focus on touring with the current line-up. The vocalist and lead guitar player are normally the most known and sought-after interview objects when it comes to promoting an album. Axl was probably not comfortable doing interviews together with Bumble and Dj for this particular album. One of them recorded some riffs and some solos, while the other one isn't on the album. If things had worked out, Axl had probably envisioned doing radio and tv interviews together with Robin and Herbie.

So, I don't think the happenings in the aftermath of the record release necessarily would have been the same if Robin had stayed.

Sweetness is a virtue
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #133 on: March 10, 2015, 01:34:37 PM »

I have thought about it, and I think the release process would have been handled differently if Buckethead, Brain and Robin Finck had been in the band at the time. Think about it, three key players (four actually if we count Paul Tobias) from that album aren't around for the promotion round. Finck was one of the main contributors, so even with only him present from the above mentioned group I think the promotion could have been more prominent.

I think that could be one of the reasons that Axl just wanted to release the album and take the time to focus on touring with the current line-up. The vocalist and lead guitar player are normally the most known and sought-after interview objects when it comes to promoting an album. Axl was probably not comfortable doing interviews together with Bumble and Dj for this particular album. One of them recorded some riffs and some solos, while the other one isn't on the album. If things had worked out, Axl had probably envisioned doing radio and tv interviews together with Robin and Herbie.

So, I don't think the happenings in the aftermath of the record release necessarily would have been the same if Robin had stayed.

Great points all around.  Agree with all of that.

I think, overall, Axl might seem more into this if he still had the band he started all of this with back in 2000.

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2015, 02:27:02 PM »

The release may have gone a lot differently if Azoff hadn't tried to Sabotage it in order to stage a reunion. People seem to underrate and overlook his toxic involvememt.

No idea why the usual idiots try to spin it that personal preparation for a gig and dress rehearsals for gigs are somehow unheard of and sinister.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 02:34:09 PM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #135 on: March 10, 2015, 02:41:05 PM »

The release may have gone a lot differently if Azoff hadn't tried to Sabotage it in order to stage a reunion. People seem to underrate and overlook his toxic involvememt.

Flipside, without Azoff, we might still be waiting for it.

Azoff was obviously something of a misadventure, but do we even have the 14 songs we got without him?  Axl might well still be taking a serious look at what he's doing in that regard without him.

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #136 on: March 10, 2015, 02:49:27 PM »

Good thoughts here... I agree with all of this. But if he releases another album of all Bucket and Robin songs.. he is still going to have that dilemma in the future in terms of promoting it.

"So... Dj or player X who just joined.. tell us how you created that Riff? "

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #137 on: March 10, 2015, 02:55:19 PM »

Good thoughts here... I agree with all of this. But if he releases another album of all Bucket and Robin songs.. he is still going to have that dilemma in the future in terms of promoting it.

Yep.  So I really don't expect anything different next time around.

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #138 on: March 10, 2015, 02:55:43 PM »

Flipside, without Azoff, we might still be waiting for it.

Azoff was obviously something of a misadventure, but do we even have the 14 songs we got without him?  Axl might well still be taking a serious look at what he's doing in that regard without him.

The release sans Azoff's presence may also have gone exceedingly well, with a correct booklet and multiple covers.
If Azoff hadn't gone behind the scenes and enabled the leaks in cahoots with Iovine , gotten rid of Robin, and tried other insiduous and underhanded ways to orchestrate a reunion by sabotaging the band and their projects, things may have turned out much differently.

See how easy it is to spin things using pure speculation and a good measure of bullshit? You aren't special, funny, nor talented. You simply have internet access and an agenda here.

"Shut the fuck up."
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #139 on: March 10, 2015, 02:58:37 PM »

Yep.  So I really don't expect anything different next time around.

I really don't expect anything different from you in attitude when the next release happens.

You are perpetually stuck in negative land, and are the mayor of Butthurt whinytown.

"Shut the fuck up."
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: