Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 07:53:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Brain interview (Feb 2015) on the I'd Hit That podcast
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brain interview (Feb 2015) on the I'd Hit That podcast  (Read 40527 times)
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #180 on: March 10, 2015, 08:54:55 PM »

If you can't make it to a gnr show you can't....    Don't expect the band to change to fit your needs. 

That's the thing though.  I'm not sure anyone is planting a flag in the ground and calling for revolution on the subject.

We all know the deal.  Shit ain't gonna change.

It just comes down to some seeing it as an unfortunate circumstance that can lead to difficulty for some of the band's fans, and others feeling its their duty to attempt to shame and belittle anyone that dares utter that aloud.  As if they are somehow dissing the band by pointing this out.

I don't see that connection.

I can only speak for myself, obviously.  But if someone told me they couldn't do a mid-week show because of work, or because a sitter or special transportation would put the pinch on them financially, I would never then make fun of them for it.  Nor question their fandom, generally tell them to fuck off, and go follow some other band, you loser.

Those are horrible things to say to a person.  Over a rock concert?

Nah.

Ya I see it two ways for myself

It's the way it is and you and everyone should know that

And

I actually like the late start times.  I like making an event out of it. Not just a concert but an event.  I would of loved to of been in vegas in the early 2000s when they came on stage at 330 in the morning

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #181 on: March 10, 2015, 09:12:52 PM »

I actually like the late start times.  I like making an event out of it. Not just a concert but an event.  I would of loved to of been in vegas in the early 2000s when they came on stage at 330 in the morning

To be honest, it worked out great for me.

The place I saw them had a lobby where you could mill about, and get your drink on.  Liquor, not just the usual $8 Budweisers.

Got there, skipped the opening act entirely, and just hung in the lobby.  Everyone had a blast.  Didn't go to my seat until the house lights dimmed at 11:10 PM.  In my seat by 11:15, they played for three hours.  Great time had by all.

But, a couple things.

I'm a single guy with no responsibilities.  Even if I wasn't it, the show was on a Saturday night.  It all worked out for me.

But I talked to more than one person in that lobby that said if the show was not on a weekend, they would have missed it.  And, to be honest, I'm not sure I didn't feel the same way.  Not that I wouldn't do it, but there would be a factor there that is not present for any other midweek concert I would go to.

In fact, that's the reason I didn't go see them 3 months later at a small spot here in Philly.  It was like, a Tuesday.  Figured it was largely the exact same show I just saw, so fuck it.  Also knew no one else but me would sign on for that operation with work the next day.

But, hearing that bootleg now, wish I'd gone.  Axl's strongest vocal performance of that year (2012) and...probably better than anything I heard in 2011 either.  He was awesome. 

I missed out.  Shit happens.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 09:14:46 PM by D-GenerationX » Logged

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #182 on: March 10, 2015, 10:20:28 PM »

I think the idea is if you don't like it, don't go.  If Axl's ok with losing business because of the start times, thats his choice.  No idea how much of an impact it has on sales, but clearly its more than nothing.

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #183 on: March 10, 2015, 10:22:25 PM »

Just to add, Slash/Aerosmith had a tough time selling out the Prudential Center arena. The tickets were available for a really good discount on Groupon a month before the concert happened. I think if the concert was on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday, it would have easily sold out.  

For me, I'm going to see AC/DC on August 26th. In the U.S., the financial services sector tends to be slow in August, especially the last two weeks. Everyone tries to squeeze in a vacation before school starts. If the concert was on a Wednesday at any other time (like Slash/Aerosmith), I wouldn't go. However, it falls on the right time  for me so I'm going.  
Z?phyr
VIP

« Reply #184 on: March 11, 2015, 06:41:12 AM »

Funny or not I still have two unused/unreturned tickets for the tour that got canceled when bucket left... (Arnhem, Netherlands I think) It was actually many years later that I knew why this tour was canceled.

"It Ain't Rocket Science"
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #185 on: March 11, 2015, 07:41:18 AM »

If people want to complain about start times...I got off work, drove 2 1/2 hrs to the Hartford show, made it for Sebastian Bach, stayed till the end at 3:30ish and made it back for an 8am start time at work. It was TOTALLY worth it. Greatest concert ever. I would do it again in a minute.  ok

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #186 on: March 11, 2015, 09:20:33 AM »

Jesus, Jarmo, it was a stylistic choice. I have already explained that I find 'anxious' too timid a term. 'Riotous', to me, seems more appropriate for a Guns N' Roses crowd 'going crazy', at 12:30 in the morning waiting for Axl to arrive. If it was an opera crowd and the overture was delayed by thirty minutes, I might be tempted by the word 'anxious'. Neither term are incorrect. I chose one, you prefer the other.

OH, COME ON! It was an intentionally inflamative choice, with an intentionally negative connotation. It wasn't stylistic. It was meant to invoke flashbacks to previous RIOTS at GnR shows. Period.

Just fucking own it, already. Jesus....

Edit: And yes, I know I'm late to the party.....Boston all weekend. Interesting conversations with the Harmonix guys (makers of Rock band). Smiley
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 09:25:17 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Ow-So7411501
Rocker

« Reply #187 on: March 11, 2015, 10:20:36 AM »

I like how no one takes into account the people who work at said venues. Granted a lot of them are union workers who are getting paid overtime but some of them also have families who they have to go home too. It doesn't just affect the fans who go to the shows.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #188 on: March 11, 2015, 10:50:25 AM »

Nobody forces the promoter and venue to book the show, nobody forces the fan to buy a ticket, nobody forces the band members and crew to sign up for the tour. It is what it is at this point so enough about late starts. I am personally sick of hearing about it.   Angry

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #189 on: March 11, 2015, 10:58:02 AM »

Nobody forces the promoter and venue to book the show, nobody forces the fan to buy a ticket, nobody forces the band members and crew to sign up for the tour. It is what it is at this point so enough about late starts. I am personally sick of hearing about it.   Angry

Agreed. It's not ideal. I have always had mixed feelings on this topic. But they say that's life right?

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #190 on: March 11, 2015, 11:18:53 AM »

Yeah, its never going to change.  We all know that.

But I wonder if the people "sick of hearing about it" might be more accurate phrasing it "I'm sick of trying to have to put a good face on this".

Even the people supposedly bitching about this all, to a man, concede its how it is and will never, ever will change.  So its not about some sort of preposterous assertion anyone is trying to get Axl to change his ways.  They are just pointing out some drawbacks to the approach, which are very real world.

So isn't what "people are sick of" is having to address those points, and they'd rather they just not be brought up?

Just a theory.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:22:02 AM by D-GenerationX » Logged

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Poops Magee
Headliner

« Reply #191 on: March 11, 2015, 11:19:36 AM »

The story that Brain told about the rehearsal before Rock in Rio was crazy. It seems to me that Axl just needs a regular guy friend to tell him "hey, that kinda stuff is messed up".

Inland Invasion 09/23/06
Gibson Amphitheater 12/20/06
T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, 2nd show, 04/09/16
Qualcomm Stadium, 8/22/16
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #192 on: March 11, 2015, 11:32:05 AM »

I like how no one takes into account the people who work at said venues. Granted a lot of them are union workers who are getting paid overtime but some of them also have families who they have to go home too. It doesn't just affect the fans who go to the shows.

Sorry, no.

We all have jobs where, sometimes, we are pressed into working OT, or being at work longer than we anticipate.  I've pulled 30+ hour shifts before, when an upgrade goes sideways. I've worked, in my younger days, VERY late nights (and very early mornings) IN a venue, when something needed addressing before/during/after a show.

Yes, it sucks. Yes, I appreciate that they might be sacrificing some sleep (because who is hanging out with their family at midnight, that couldn't do so at 2 AM?).

But do I feel like they should be "taken into account"? Not so much. They're getting paid, and paid relatively well for the OT....and it's part of what you sign up for when you work in a venue (I know, I've done it).

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #193 on: March 11, 2015, 11:35:25 AM »

Irving Azoff secured the Best Buy deal right?

Yep.

So for all his nefarious schemes, dastardly plans, and hidden agendas, he also secured the release of an album that looked like it was going to take an straight up Act Of Congress to get done.

That's worth something.

Meh...

The release was coming either way. The best buy thing was simply the best deal to be made for it.  Credit where credit is due.

And then he apparently went AWOL, dealing with his integration into LiveNation and TM, in the run up.  So it wasn't all unicorns and rainbows.

Together again,
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #194 on: March 11, 2015, 12:17:50 PM »

I like how you don't read all the posts:

Security and stuff like that.

I think the cleaners come to work in the morning.  hihi

Nobody forces the promoter and venue to book the show, nobody forces the fan to buy a ticket, nobody forces the band members and crew to sign up for the tour. It is what it is at this point so enough about late starts. I am personally sick of hearing about it.   Angry

Don't worry, its about time for the old name debate to come back. Soon... Or is it time for the setlist discussion?

rofl

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #195 on: March 11, 2015, 12:38:29 PM »

Meh...

The release was coming either way. The best buy thing was simply the best deal to be made for it.  Credit where credit is due.

And then he apparently went AWOL, dealing with his integration into LiveNation and TM, in the run up.  So it wasn't all unicorns and rainbows.

Is that why people kept leaving the band?  Because that release was coming either way?

Look, I get Azoff is on the Antichrist list because he suggested what any remotely competent manager would suggest to Axl.

But we were nowhere on getting that album out before him.  Axl had been diddling for YEARS.

So shit on the guy if you want, and I'm not going to go all out lauding him as some great man.  But he succeeded for us where countless other failed.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #196 on: March 11, 2015, 12:53:40 PM »

But we were nowhere on getting that album out before him.  Axl had been diddling for YEARS.

So shit on the guy if you want, and I'm not going to go all out lauding him as some great man.  But he succeeded for us where countless other failed.

I might be mistaken, but I think the recording sessions had ended a couple of months before Azoff was hired. They were already in release talks with the record company when he arrived.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Ginger King
VIP

Now we all know better...

« Reply #197 on: March 11, 2015, 12:57:31 PM »

Meh...

Is that why people kept leaving the band?  Because that release was coming either way?

Look, I get Azoff is on the Antichrist list because he suggested what any remotely competent manager would suggest to Axl.

Giving credit to Azoff???  Someone's jonesing for a Karma point reduction...
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #198 on: March 11, 2015, 01:00:32 PM »

Going by the accounts of Axl, it wasn't just a 'suggestion to Axl' as you say. It was a scheme to make it happen, forcing him in a position to do it.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #199 on: March 11, 2015, 01:04:25 PM »

I might be mistaken, but I think the recording sessions had ended a couple of months before Azoff was hired. They were already in release talks with the record company when he arrived.

So think of it like a Governor or a President with job numbers.  You get credit when things are good, and take heat when they are bad. 

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: