Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 01:42:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228102 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Brain interview (Feb 2015) on the I'd Hit That podcast
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brain interview (Feb 2015) on the I'd Hit That podcast  (Read 40429 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #100 on: March 10, 2015, 10:49:01 AM »

They obviously were a toxic combination.

In a lot of ways, they were a great pair.  Two guys who would have a hell of a time finding other musicians to put up with their respective bullshit would have something of a kinship.

But the vastly different approaches each man had towards ambition and productivity did probably doom this from the start.

Thing I can't figure is why Bucket felt the need to drop out entirely.  Couldn't he have just done his stuff for GNR, and then told Axl to just call him whenever he finally got his shit together?  He could have very easily still done all his solo stuff while Axl dilly dallied, no?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #101 on: March 10, 2015, 10:56:30 AM »

But then you always have management people telling you what to do and what not to do.

The only son of a bitch with enough piss, vinegar and kill-?em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock?s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. [LA Weekly]
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #102 on: March 10, 2015, 10:58:59 AM »

Then do it, add it to your post.

Smart ass.

Yes, I'll take 'Entrapment' for $200, Alex.

You really need to stop pretending you speak behalf of me. Somebody asked me a question and I answered. There's no need for your off topic bullshit posts.

Take your comedy act somewhere else.

I don't get why someone can't see that there are some negative aspects Brain is pointing out and how obviously ridiculous he finds them (and which they are), like the rehearsals for Rio, or the waiting.

It shouldnt be too big of a deal to point out negative stuff about guns. Its not the end of the world.

It's in the eye of the beholder.

Some of the stuff he said were turned into "he was making fun of Axl", and yet I didn't hear that. He was telling what he saw. Like the massage thing for example. It's safe to assume that could be part of Axl's pre show ritual. It wasn't meant to be funny as in how ridiculous it is that Axl's getting a massage.

I guess for some of you this would be ridiculous. I don't know, maybe it doesn't fit the image you have of him. That he actually prepares for the show.

I mean, that rehearsal thing is of course fucking ridiculous, but on the other hand its absolutely funny and just GNR. I dont think anyone in the world would do sth like that, and thats kinda cool

If you put it in its proper context, it's not that ridiculous.

Many times before tours, there will be production rehearsals with the full production in place. Not just the band in a small room learning the songs, but an actual show on the same kind of stage they'll use on tour.

Considering this was before Rock In Rio, which is a festival, you can't do this at the venue itself. Otherwise you could do this the day before the first show on the tour at the venue of the first show.

And knowing what we know about Axl's preferred operating hours, it's not that surprising that it didn't happen during the day. Smiley

/jarmo

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 11:01:53 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2015, 11:00:21 AM »

Thing I can't figure is why Bucket felt the need to drop out entirely.  Couldn't he have just done his stuff for GNR, and then told Axl to just call him whenever he finally got his shit together?  He could have very easily still done all his solo stuff while Axl dilly dallied, no?

Going by what Brain said, Bucket was flat out scared by the business side of Guns. Lawyers going after him and all.. By his description, seems like he was paranoid at times.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2015, 11:04:05 AM »

I don't get why someone can't see that there are some negative aspects Brain is pointing out and how obviously ridiculous he finds them (and which they are), like the rehearsals for Rio, or the waiting.

It shouldnt be too big of a deal to point out negative stuff about guns. Its not the end of the world.

It's in the eye of the beholder.

Some of the stuff he said were turned into "he was making fun of Axl", and yet I didn't hear that. He was telling what he saw. Like the massage thing for example. It's safe to assume that could be part of Axl's pre show ritual. It wasn't meant to be funny as in how ridiculous it is that Axl's getting a massage.

I guess for some of you this would be ridiculous. I don't know, maybe it doesn't fit the image you have of him. That he actually prepares for the show.

/jarmo

Well, he is saying it in regard to the shows were they were late, like it would be 2hrs after they were supposed to be on stage, Brain in his room and Axl getting a massage (while people were going crazy).
You could see it as something that Brain couldnt comprehend, that Axl is getting a massage while people are going crazy bc of waiting, or that it was just description of what happened

To me, it sounded like he found it kind of silly

The only son of a bitch with enough piss, vinegar and kill-?em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock?s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. [LA Weekly]
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2015, 11:08:35 AM »

Well, he is saying it in regard to the shows were they were late, like it would be 2hrs after they were supposed to be on stage, Brain in his room and Axl getting a massage (while people were going crazy).
You could see it as something that Brain couldnt comprehend, that Axl is getting a massage while people are going crazy bc of waiting, or that it was just description of what happened

99.7% of the population finds that stuff silly.  The only ones that don't are Axl, and some of his fans that adopt all his opinions and thoughts as their own.

You will also get the faux exasperated "but that's how its always been!" routine.  As if a pattern of bad behavior has any bearing on the behavior's legitimacy.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2015, 11:12:13 AM »

Many times before tours, there will be production rehearsals with the full production in place. Not just the band in a small room learning the songs, but an actual show on the same kind of stage they'll use on tour.

They did the same thing before the 2009 tour started if I remember correctly. Didn't Bumble tweet about rehearsing on a "big-ass stage" or something?

A show with that kind of production needs that I think. With all the pyro going on at different times during the songs, that's something they need to have knowledge about.

I guess most of you have watched This Is It with Michael Jackson. That was an even bigger production and it seemed like they had that stage set-up for weeks in rehearsal.

Sweetness is a virtue
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2015, 11:13:48 AM »

Has anyone counted the amount "you know" and "like"? Cheesy

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2015, 11:17:48 AM »

Compared to the stories about Axl watching TV instead of being at a show, this isn't close to that.
And some people actually believed that.

Never mind the usual suspects and their usual veiled insults because their free thinking open mind can't comprehend simple things.

They did the same thing before the 2009 tour started if I remember correctly. Didn't Bumble tweet about rehearsing on a "big-ass stage" or something?

A show with that kind of production needs that I think. With all the pyro going on at different times during the songs, that's something they need to have knowledge about.

Put this in perspective again. Do you guys remember that show? Rock In Rio 2001?
It was kinda a big deal for Axl and the band.

Yet it's ridiculous that he wanted to see what the show would look like from the audience's point of view?
It was the return of GN'R and Axl.

Video taping it and watching it on a TV isn't the same thing. Neither is watching computer animations...

/jarmo

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 11:20:42 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2015, 11:19:15 AM »

You sort of have to with a big stage set up.  Get your bearings.

The Rolling Stones play entire practice shows.  I don't mean playing the opening licks of something and then stopping to talk about how it goes.  I mean playing the entire show, for real, start finish.

I have a bootleg of them running through the entire show before their 1989 stadium tour.  Its like the best soundcheck ever.  It plays like an actual 30 song concert.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2015, 11:19:53 AM »

Brain said so himself. In the beginning he thought that's was kind of cool. As he got older, he would have preferred to start at 9 and be done by midnight. Seemed to me that this tied in with him wanting off the road and not wanting to be exhausted at the end of the show because the time was 2 or 3 am. It wasn't something he couldn't comprehend, but more like a life style he grew out of.

Sweetness is a virtue
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2015, 11:24:07 AM »

Brain said so himself. In the beginning he thought that's was kind of cool. As he got older, he would have preferred to start at 9 and be done by midnight. Seemed to me that this tied in with him wanting off the road and not wanting to be exhausted at the end of the show because the time was 2 or 3 am. It wasn't something he couldn't comprehend, but more like a life style he grew out of.

I think that's a good way to put it.

After awhile, its just not as cute anymore.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #112 on: March 10, 2015, 11:29:03 AM »

You either accept it, or you don't.

I assume most people who start working for GN'R would know the deal.

/jarmo

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2015, 11:30:03 AM »

Put this in perspective again. Do you guys remember that show? Rock In Rio 2001?
It was kinda a big deal for Axl and the band.

Yet it's ridiculous that he wanted to see what the show would look like from the audience's point of view?
It was the return of GN'R and Axl.

I didn't say it was ridiculous. I said it's normal. (Don't know if that was aimed at me...  Wink)

We know Axl rarely sings in rehearsal anyways, so him watching the rehearsal is not a shocker. The only way I can understand why people are pointing fingers, is that Axl's operating on Axl-time, and therefore had the band play the entire set a 5 am. He could have showed up at 12 when they did the first rehearsal that night, would probably have been less brutal on the crew and the band.

I didn't catch if this was their last rehearsal before leaving for Rio. If it was, I can sort of understand that Axl wanted to have they play the set once, and then have a second, final walk-through before packing their gear.

Sweetness is a virtue
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2015, 11:32:51 AM »

/jarmo

How could Brain know? He never was really into GNR, as he said.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2015, 11:36:59 AM »

/jarmo

How could Brain know? He never was really into GNR, as he said.

He said in the interview that he knew about the band's attitude and public image, but wasn't into that music scene at the time. GN'R being late has always been public knowledge, hasn't it?

Sweetness is a virtue
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #116 on: March 10, 2015, 11:38:02 AM »

To a point, yes.

But like every coach that thinks he's finally going to be the one to reach the pain in the ass player despite everyone else's failure at same, eventually, they reach the same point of frustration as all their predecessors.

Everyone leaves this band for the same reasons.  And they all knew the deal going in.  But they all think, this time, it will be different once they get in the mix.  They will change the game where others have failed.

Is there a better example of this in action than Ron?

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2015, 11:52:46 AM »

Everyone leaves this band for the same reasons.  And they all knew the deal going in.  But they all think, this time, it will be different once they get in the mix.  They will change the game where others have failed.

I don't think that's true.

Izzy left because it all got too big.
Duff because of the business side I guess.
Slash because of a lot of things. Mainly musical differences and maybe personal reasons.
Paul because he wasn't comfortable on the stage.
Bucket.. business is my guess.
Robin quit almost a year after his last tour. My guess is the CD delay.
Ron... well if late-times is his excuse, I must say he picked a strange time to quit as Guns have been improving those more and more for each year.

Sweetness is a virtue
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2015, 11:56:06 AM »

Slash because of a lot of things. Mainly musical differences and maybe personal reasons.
Ron... well if late-times is his excuse, I must say he picked a strange time to quit as Guns have been improving those more and more for each year.

Wrong. Robin left because he rejoined NIN .

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2015, 11:56:50 AM »

Wrong. He left because he rejoined NIN .

Do you think he would've done that if CD came earlier?

Sweetness is a virtue
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: