Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 11:15:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Is Interscope/Geffen Blocking The Next Album's Release?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Interscope/Geffen Blocking The Next Album's Release?  (Read 62954 times)
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2014, 11:51:25 AM »

Im not sure..On the whole CD was a good album. Not great. The problem wasnt the songs per se - it was it didnt flow like an album should. probably due to the time span the songs were written. It was a batch of songs thrown together that didnt quite gel. Anyway, off topic we've gone probably. Soz. (slaps hand)-
 However, In relation to post - agree bit of blame in both camps Id assume. Neither is probably pushing for anything to happen 'soon' one way or the other.

CD is a very good album if you are able to look at it objectively, take away all the drama and time that took to go in to it

there are songs on it that are simply not for me.... but id say thats how all records are for most people

the main obstacle for the label I cant help but think is the lack of radio friendly songs... because really CD had nothing that was very radio friendly

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2014, 11:54:13 AM »

I can only speak for myself, but I still listen to 'Chinese' fairly often, and am still finding new & interesting things in the songs.  If a new album were to drop soon, I'm quite sure I & most other GNR fans would get a lot of miles out of that release as well. 

We can only hope that things aren't as stagnant as they seem behind the scenes, and that the ball is actually rolling to get new music to the fans.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 11:57:29 AM by sofine11 » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2014, 12:11:22 PM »

I absolutely like 'Chinese' as an album.  A few of the tunes I'd put right alongside the classic line-up stuff, no problem.

That said, its flaws are obvious and real.  Many of the songs (even the good ones) have a bit of a mish-mash quality to them.  Mainly, because they were a mish-mash.  Put together by all sorts of people over all sorts of time.  Really, not one song on there sounds organic.

The double edged sword of the new album hopes is that the next one will be the same thing.  So while it wasn't a dealbreaker for me, it was for some.  And they will face the same problems on the next batch of songs from 2002-03 originally done by people out of the band 10 years and tweaked by the current crew.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2014, 12:20:31 PM »

I absolutely like 'Chinese' as an album.  A few of the tunes I'd put right alongside the classic line-up stuff, no problem.

That said, its flaws are obvious and real.  Many of the songs (even the good ones) have a bit of a mish-mash quality to them.  Mainly, because they were a mish-mash.  Put together by all sorts of people over all sorts of time.  Really, not one song on there sounds organic.

The double edged sword of the new album hopes is that the next one will be the same thing.  So while it wasn't a dealbreaker for me, it was for some.  And they will face the same problems on the next batch of songs from 2002-03 originally done by people out of the band 10 years and tweaked by the current crew.

I have struggled with this.... not wanting an album that was created by guys gone going on 10 years.... but I have come to terms with it...they are Axl's songs... dont care anymore how many different people wrote them or tinkered with them ... its an Axl release.. thats what I want to hear... not ideal...but you take what you can get

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2014, 12:31:47 PM »

I have struggled with this.... not wanting an album that was created by guys gone going on 10 years.... but I have come to terms with it...they are Axl's songs... dont care anymore how many different people wrote them or tinkered with them ... its an Axl release.. thats what I want to hear... not ideal...but you take what you can get

Agreed.  At the end of the day, it's an Axl Rose album, and I could honestly care less which guitarist from 10 years ago played what bits or solos on the album.  I think most people who would actually buy a new GNR album or single in 2014 has made their peace with that by now.  And if they haven't, who cares? 

Sure, a fresh recording would perhaps sound more "organic" than whatever else is in the can, but I'm not going to pretend I won't be completely stoked if all the songs from back in the day finally get released.  Fuck, I'd be elated
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2014, 01:48:52 PM »

Jarmo brings up that David Bowie example all the time.  Examples of how other bands operate are permissible if they help the Axl side of things.  Otherwise, not relevant.

Yeah, and you keep ignoring the facts that there are other artists out there who do things their way.

I'm not buying the idea that the more albums we have out by GN'R, the happier the fans will be.

/jarmo

So does the fact that other artists "do things their way" mean that they can never be to blame?  Can they never be at fault?  Who gives a $&?/ what other bands do.  You say it all the time...."GNR aren't like other bands", so why bring up other bands now?? 

And yes, more music=happier GNR fans.  If you don't see this, your part of the problem.  Your response will be something like this....the more GNR puts out, the more people will want.  And you'd be missing the point under these circumstances with GNR.  You do realize that with anything in life, the less you do/release/accomplish, the more quickly you fade away.  Which means ultimately, that people lose interest.  The more you accomplish and or release music in this case, you remain relevant, and people stay interested.  Interest can go right along with being happy!  You of course will come back and say, they've been touring for an x amount of time and playing all over the world.  And yes, this keeps them relevant to an extent.  But like I said, the MORE you do (and it doesn't have to be every year.  In the music business, it's proven that even an album every 3-5 years can keep you relevant.  Other things play into this as well), the more relevant you will be.  The more interested someone can be in you or your work. 

The bottom line is this, if GNR isn't planning on releasing music, than tell us.  Most people would move on.  If you do plan on releasing music, than release it for Gods sake.  Their are multiple avenues to let music be heard. 

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2014, 02:31:42 PM »

So does the fact that other artists "do things their way" mean that they can never be to blame?  Can they never be at fault?  Who gives a $&?/ what other bands do.  You say it all the time...."GNR aren't like other bands", so why bring up other bands now??

Blame? Fault?
The whole point was that everybody's different. There's no one way of doing things that works for everyone.

And yes, more music=happier GNR fans.  If you don't see this, your part of the problem.  Your response will be something like this....the more GNR puts out, the more people will want.  And you'd be missing the point under these circumstances with GNR.  You do realize that with anything in life, the less you do/release/accomplish, the more quickly you fade away.  Which means ultimately, that people lose interest.  The more you accomplish and or release music in this case, you remain relevant, and people stay interested.  Interest can go right along with being happy!  You of course will come back and say, they've been touring for an x amount of time and playing all over the world.  And yes, this keeps them relevant to an extent.  But like I said, the MORE you do (and it doesn't have to be every year.  In the music business, it's proven that even an album every 3-5 years can keep you relevant.  Other things play into this as well), the more relevant you will be.  The more interested someone can be in you or your work.

I still don't think more is automatically better. Remember when GN'R put out 30 songs on the same day? Well, everybody wasn't happy. How many times did you hear people say there was too much stuff there. It should've been less! Ironic.

I don't think releasing albums makes artists more relevant. The Rolling Stones aren't more relevant today than they were in the past. Even if they put out a new album.
And bands that put out albums fade away too. Album sales are just proof of that.

Staying relevant by releasing albums isn't an idea I subscribe to. It just sounds "forced". Just like the idea of releasing albums so you can tour.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2014, 03:20:24 PM »

Jarmo, you're pretty tight with Fernando/management.  Any rumblings of....well...anything?
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2014, 03:58:43 PM »

Agreed.  At the end of the day, it's an Axl Rose album, and I could honestly care less which guitarist from 10 years ago played what bits or solos on the album.  I think most people who would actually buy a new GNR album or single in 2014 has made their peace with that by now.  And if they haven't, who cares? 

Ultimately, I agree.

But I don't know how sustainable that is in keeping the current "band" together.  At what point do they finally tell Axl that spending a few days a year working on 10 year old songs done by other guys ain't getting it done for them creatively?

In reality, I'd like an album done by actual guys in the band.  Or if some of these songs done back in 2002 are just so awesome, then fine, keep them.  But have the current guys redo them. 

At some point, if these guys aren't ever able to put any real skin in the game, they are going to bounce.  And no one alive could blame them.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2014, 04:01:08 PM »

I still don't think more is automatically better. Remember when GN'R put out 30 songs on the same day? Well, everybody wasn't happy. How many times did you hear people say there was too much stuff there. It should've been less! Ironic.

Zero times.  No one said this, ever.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2014, 04:04:40 PM »

Ultimately, I agree.

But I don't know how sustainable that is in keeping the current "band" together.  At what point do they finally tell Axl that spending a few days a year working on 10 year old songs done by other guys ain't getting it done for them creatively?

In reality, I'd like an album done by actual guys in the band.  Or if some of these songs done back in 2002 are just so awesome, then fine, keep them.  But have the current guys redo them. 

At some point, if these guys aren't ever able to put any real skin in the game, they are going to bounce.  And no one alive could blame them.

I think the reason I'm comfortable with the old stuff coming out as is, or with DJ & Ron simply recording new stuff for existing tracks, is because I really feel that Axl spending a good deal of time in the studio either re-recording these songs entirely, or writing new ones from scratch with the current lineup is an utter pipe-dream at this point.

As we've seen on the leaked demos, the band has been passing around tracks for members to seemingly record stuff in their home-studios and sending it back.  I would guess that's what DJ has been doing as well.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2014, 04:09:05 PM »

True.  The chances of him starting from scratch and doing 12 new songs with the current guys is a total fantasy.

At this point, I am in total "take whatever I can get" mode.  And I'm probably out of line even wanting that, I'll have to check.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2014, 04:15:41 PM »

At this point, I am in total "take whatever I can get" mode.  And I'm probably out of line even wanting that, I'll have to check.

At this point, I think most of us are.  Three years ago, the idea of DJ re-recording one of Robin or Bucket's solos would have had me crying "Blasphemy!"  Now, I just want a fuckin' album any way I can get it.  Undecided
Princess Leia
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2014, 04:27:17 PM »

Ok let?s say it is true and Interscope is blocking the album. Why doesn?t Axl tell them to go fuck themselves? Why is he tolerating the lack of cooperation from Interscope? Axl should be trying to make a new deal with another record company if he is really willing to make a new album.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2014, 04:27:52 PM »

Zero times.  No one said this, ever.

I read it on the Internet....  Tongue

You know, there's even a thread about it in the Dead Horse section: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=24374.0
Basically saying that one album would've been "better". Now, you can say that the fans were happy with getting all those songs. But the fact remains, some were into the debate of "what if it was just one album" and how amazing that one album would've been...

I guess this happens after a while for some, once the novelty of everything has worn off. Or instantly for others because it's too much at once.

Anyway, I don't think more songs make people happier. The idea of having more, sure. That probably makes people happier. If GN'R put out three albums like Chinese Democracy in the next few years, do you think every GN'R fan would be happy? Hell no.

If they had put out an Oh My God sounding album in 2000 and Chinese Democracy in 2008, would that have made you a happier fan today? You'd still be here saying they didn't promote Chinese properly and that it's been over five years since the last album... Wink

Ok let?s say it is true and Interscope is blocking the album. Why doesn?t Axl tell them to go fuck themselves? Why is he tolerating the lack of cooperation from Interscope? Axl should be trying to make a new deal with another record company if he is really willing to make a new album.

If there's a contract, you can't just tear it up and leave... Right?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2014, 04:32:21 PM »

Does anyone have Jimmy Iovine's email address?  I think I need to write him a strongly worded letter.  hihi
Princess Leia
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2014, 04:37:40 PM »

A contract is a 2 way street. And if Interscope is not doing their part then Axl should look for some other company that will be more helpful and more interested in his band and his music.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2014, 04:37:56 PM »

I've asked this several times, and I can never get an answer.

I'm supposed to believe a man as vengeful and petty as Axl Rose is suffering in silence as he is prevented from doing something he wants to do?

Be serious.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2014, 04:44:17 PM »

Anyway, I don't think more songs make people happier. The idea of having more, sure. That probably makes people happier. If GN'R put out three albums like Chinese Democracy in the next few years, do you think every GN'R fan would be happy? Hell no.

Well, once they got over the initial shock, I think more would be happy than not.

if you are still following Axl in 2014, you are rolling with his craziness.  You aren't still sitting around hoping for 'Anything Goes 2.0'.

If they had put out an Oh My God sounding album in 2000 and Chinese Democracy in 2008, would that have made you a happier fan today? You'd still be here saying they didn't promote Chinese properly and that it's been over five years since the last album... Wink

Playing along with this line of thinking, that would suggest that he has a consistent band line-up.  There would be some sort of plan and some sort of general direction.

One of these days, god willing, you will realize that the overwhelming bulk of the frustration is the lack of either from Mr. Rose.  There is no plan and no direction.  Just a "band" that doesn't write, record, or release anything.  And when asked about upcoming plans, they laugh at the reporter's questions and say they have no idea.

THERE is Axl's biggest problem.  Again, if we are still with him in 2014, we have made our peace with the line-up changes and different sound.  But its getting really, really old to not see this all going anywhere constructive.  Calling this operation a rudderless ship would actually be overstating things.

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2014, 04:58:14 PM »

More & more, it looks like after the botched release of Chinese Democracy, Axl even called 2009 "the worst year of my life", I really feel like Axl put GNR on autopilot.

He seems content to let Fernando & Beta schedule sporadic touring, while not doing a heck of a lot on the GNR front in between. 

Who knew five years ago when he said "No idea and don't care." in regard to when the next album was coming, how heart-attack serious he was being?  Sad.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: