Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 20, 2024, 08:27:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228089 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 493 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Next Album" rumor / speculation thread *UPDATE AUG 22/2023*  (Read 1589011 times)
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #5900 on: January 14, 2017, 10:51:23 AM »

@allwaystired: yes, that's right. the casuals don't even know the ChiDem songs the current incarnation plays live, and they would probably bitch if some new stuff replaced some of the "classics". as sad as it is Cry

That's always the case though.

For example. Does anyone think November Rain was instantly loved by everyone when they started playing it in 1991?
And now it's a staple in the set.....

/jarmo

True- but don't you think times have changed in the music scene as a whole now? Nostalgia rules in a way it never did in 1991. It's massive now. I'd say the last five - ten years nostalgia has dominated mainstream music- and with that comes a pretty depressing refusal to accept new work, or any changes. Sadly I think the CD material does fall foul of this bizarre change in things.

I think back to 1991, when I was 11/12, really getting fired up by music for the first time- EVERYTHING i listened to was current, as I simply didn't have time/money/access/desire to listen to older bands, or bands that my parents liked. I wasn't ignoring them, there was just too much stuff I could call 'my own' to envelop me. It's totally different now- I see teenagers all the time in Nirvana/Black Sabbath shirts for instance. I guess it's pretty sad that they don't feel they have bands of their own time and place.

So going back to the original point- I just think that in the 90s there was a drive to hear new stuff, give it a chance, embrace it, that has been eroded quite significantly in recent years.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #5901 on: January 14, 2017, 11:08:15 AM »

@allwaystired: yes, that's right. the casuals don't even know the ChiDem songs the current incarnation plays live, and they would probably bitch if some new stuff replaced some of the "classics". as sad as it is Cry

That's always the case though.

For example. Does anyone think November Rain was instantly loved by everyone when they started playing it in 1991?
And now it's a staple in the set.....

/jarmo

you're right. but that was a completely different situation though. UYI era came just right after the 80's and many songs were already played before the UYI tour started in 91.
now, you're (from many people's point of view) back from the dead after 13 years and many people's minds are just conserved somewhere in the 1990's.
but yeah, this is the case of most bands. most people just want to go to the show to see/hear the greatest hits.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5902 on: January 14, 2017, 11:48:12 AM »

True- but don't you think times have changed in the music scene as a whole now? Nostalgia rules in a way it never did in 1991. It's massive now. I'd say the last five - ten years nostalgia has dominated mainstream music- and with that comes a pretty depressing refusal to accept new work, or any changes. Sadly I think the CD material does fall foul of this bizarre change in things.

In a way, yes.

But it's probably due to a few reasons. The fans who were teenagers back then, aren't anymore.  Wink
So it's kinda easy to sell that "remember when you were in high school?" deal to these people. Also many of the albums released back then have all these anniversaries nowadays and it's a perfect excuse to revisit those albums and/or tours. Once again, it's quite an easy sell to do.

You're right, there's been somewhat of a trend in recent years regarding this kind of tours.

Regarding the new music. I think the fact that nowadays you have so many ways to find music, versus just turning on your TV and watching MTV, it's too much for some.....
It's easier and more convenient to just stick to what's familiar and you know you like...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
zombux
Legend

« Reply #5903 on: January 14, 2017, 12:39:11 PM »

@jarmo: not wanna be a PITA, but what is your personal opinion about new stuff getting out in 2017? either old ChiDem era stuff with additions by Slash & Duff, or completely new music?

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5904 on: January 14, 2017, 12:58:21 PM »

All I know is what Axl said in that Q&A last summer and what was said in 2014....

The question is, when would you put it out? For example, they have tour dates into September. In places where the tour hasn't gone yet. So in a way, you'd think the tour isn't in support of a new release.

Also, the question is. If you want Duff and Slash involved, when would that work be done, or was it already?

It's only January, it's too early to say what's gonna happen. But I don't think anything is impossible! Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
zombux
Legend

« Reply #5905 on: January 14, 2017, 01:08:39 PM »

I actually think that the current band is doing the best it can do. money flows hugely into the pockets and the setlist is just perfect to satisfy the casuals and the die-hards as well.
I think they can go like this for another year.
then, they will get to a state that they visited every country in the world and enjoyed the nostalgia thing. but they will have to do something more. like - release new stuff.
but that moment is still far from now, a year or so.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5906 on: January 14, 2017, 01:16:25 PM »

I actually think that the current band is doing the best it can do. money flows hugely into the pockets and the setlist is just perfect to satisfy the casuals and the die-hards as well.
then, they will get to a state that they visited every country in the world and enjoyed the nostalgia thing. but they will have to do something more. like - release new stuff.

They are going to be revisiting counties this summer in markets very close to the ones they just played at   I would expect a different show with new music
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #5907 on: January 14, 2017, 02:43:03 PM »

This is the kind of mentality of the average people in this tour:

ps: this guy is from the Screen Junkies movies YouTube/website.

I agree 100%. The current setlist is definitely for everyone. We have not only CD songs, but also DTJ and Coma - all when they still play Estranged, NR and Civil War every single night.  But it would be too much of a waste to not evolve this into a new album.

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #5908 on: January 14, 2017, 03:45:10 PM »

Again ... anybody complaining about he current set list needs their head examined...

Especially people who have followed the band during the entire CD era...

Slash and Duff came back and have given 100 percent effort in to those CD songs and they play two illusions songs every show that axl never played without the two of them.

Give me a fucking break ...

I could do without the Seeker too but holy hell ...

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5909 on: January 14, 2017, 03:50:51 PM »

Again ... anybody complaining about he current set list needs their head examined...

Yeah. They're playing Coma.... Coma!

Not exactly a big hit with the masses is it? More like a fan favorite and look who's complaining.... Some fans...

/jarmo

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #5910 on: January 14, 2017, 04:00:13 PM »

Not exactly a big hit with the masses is it? More like a fan favorite and look who's complaining.... Some fans...

/jarmo

Just people playing a part on the internet at this point.... they know damn well that they are never playing Bad Obsession... or Scraped....

They just like to keep repeating it anyway.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5911 on: January 14, 2017, 04:03:34 PM »

You know, if this one guy had seen GN'R in like 1985, he'd be whining about the number of covers too.  hihi

On top of that, some of the songs he probably considers GN'R songs were around before GN'R formed.... Cheesy

/jarmo

zombux
Legend

« Reply #5912 on: January 14, 2017, 04:11:21 PM »

I think that complaining about the setlist is stupid. come on, we get almost everything we've ever wanted. yup, except for Locomotive and a few other old tracks. but still. the current setlist is great!

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #5913 on: January 14, 2017, 04:38:34 PM »

/jarmo

I still can't believe that. I knew I was going to hear it in Foxboro this past Summer, but when it actually started I was still a little shocked.

I'm happy with whatever they plan on playing if they come back my way. I'd be perfectly happy with the full TSI track list played back to back to back...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 03:06:23 AM by C0ma » Logged
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #5914 on: January 14, 2017, 06:37:02 PM »

/jarmo

Just people playing a part on the internet at this point.... they know damn well that they are never playing Bad Obsession... or Scraped....

They just like to keep repeating it anyway.

When they come back to the north eastern United States you wouldn't be expecting a different show?

When they come back to Canada and play out in western Canada for the first time which shares north western usas market I am expecting a different show

The show the first time the first time around was fantastic.

I am shocked they do not change up the set list that much while playing back to back shows in a cities.   

And I really hope they change up the show when coming back to countries they have already played in.  Especially in Marietta in these countries that are overly close to markets they just played in

That's just what I want

Some people may like to hear all these covers and jams and the same songs over and over and over again

Some people may like that paradise city is played last every night.  Every single night

I have seen this band so many times   This last summer was cool   But honestly I could go a very log time with out hearing a lot of these songs again for a bit. 

Let's change it up for the second leg of North America. 

Let's have new music.   Play more CD songs and actual guns music and not covers

Or keep playing the same material over an over again

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5915 on: January 14, 2017, 07:20:12 PM »

The only show that might be in the same market as the tour last summer would be The Gorge and Seattle. But they're 150 miles apart!

Vancouver isn't Seattle.
Edmonton isn't Seattle.

Why not save yourself the trouble and assume the country you dislike (the USA) is one market along with Canada? So since they're playing more shows than one in that market, they should change the setlist.

rofl

Man, you're fucking boring. Once again. Setlist this, setlist that.
Go away already. The tour is about to start. Come back when the setlist is to your liking.....

Or keep playing posting the same material shit over an over again

There, I fixed it for you. That's what you meant to say.

Next time you bring this shit up, might be the last. Just saying. There's a time and place for everything. Unfortunately you don't get that part.

/jarmo

Natalie
Headliner

« Reply #5916 on: January 14, 2017, 08:22:46 PM »

I've seen so many people complaining about the setlist while some of us haven't had the chance to see them for years and we ll travel abroad just to get to see one show as our countries are not included in the tour. Don't be ungrateful  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked I feel lucky I finally got one ticket for a show next summer and I don't really care what they are going to play  hihi

Athens 10/7/06 
Prague 4/7/17
Madrid 29/6/18 
Barcelona 1/7/18
Lincoln 15/10/19
Dallas 1/9/2021
Atlantic city  11&12/9/21
Madrid 9/6/23
Boston 21/8/23
Chicago 24/8/23
Seattle 14/10/23
slash&axl
Rocker

« Reply #5917 on: January 15, 2017, 12:18:30 AM »

Just rerecoding Chinese Part 2 with Slash and Duff would be enough to keep people happy

Some people yes... some people no. The current global interest is in this lineup more so than just the name GnR. I think fans are going to want Slash and Duff and will complain when sold a CD that may or may not also contain Paul, Bucket, Robin, etc... I would't do anything to upset this apple cart, and IMO anything from 99-14 would risk upsetting the apple cart...

Just because they played a few CD tracks live, do you know that Slash and Duff are comfortable essentially becoming studio musicians for CD2 (or whatever it's called)? While this is rooted in nothing but my opinion, I think Slash and Duff would want more, then enjoy creating and writing music, not just becoming the 7th guitar and 2nd bass on a track that they didn't write (or have a hand in writing)
But you're thinking about a new album. Maybe they could just rerecord (and by that I mean writing their own parts and changing the original arrangement) a song or two and release it on iTunes untill a proper new album isn't ready. Sure this is not something the band *needs* to do right now, and I wouldn't hold my breath on this, but it's still an unlikely possibility.

There's definitely a big divide between 'need' and 'want' in the recording of new material. Do they 'need' to? Absolutely not. Only people like us care about new GNR material- a lot of people that have bought tickets for this tour want the old material, played exactly as it is on record. They'll take some shitty selfies with their back to the stage, maybe buy a shirt, forget about it and move on to whatever show they feel they 'should' go to next. Thinking of them, they don't 'need' new material. I'm not sure there are actually enough of us that want new material to generate any sort of 'need' to produce new stuff, sad as that sounds.

On the 'want' side of course, is what the band themselves feel they want to do in order to satisfy themselves. We've got no insight at all into this. We've no idea if they 'want' to produce new stuff to feel creative, or whether they are just happy with touring this stuff before they return to their respective other interests. Only time will tell on this front.

So essentially we're looking at new material from two different mindsets ('need' and 'want'), with 'want' being the only category in which we'll see new stuff, and that depends on so many things and views that are way, way out of our sphere of knowledge at present.

As ever with this band- we're left speculating! We KNOW about Patience, as that t-shirt once said!

The point is that the band should care as artists and musicians about releasing something.
This stadium nostalgia tour won't last as long as the Stones (who do record) without something new.
It may take years but this band will have to either write new stuff or just be a band where Slash and Duff do their solo stuff and just play rare big shows with Gnr
I feel like this band has a lot more to offer than the greatest hits
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #5918 on: January 15, 2017, 06:02:23 AM »

Bottom line is people know Jack shit, all except those in the GnR camp,  and even a  few there don't know it all. It will be want it is, those in the know will do what they think is right, and you know what, that's good with me. What do I wish for? It won't happen in this lifetime   Wink Oh part of it already has....
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 06:04:59 AM by The Wight Gunner » Logged
izzyjim
Rocker

« Reply #5919 on: January 15, 2017, 10:46:06 AM »

I can't see how anybody can argue with that  hihi
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 493 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: