Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 03:12:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228102 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 192571 times)
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #1060 on: October 18, 2012, 01:39:45 AM »

Postponed!! Yanks live to fight another day!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1061 on: October 18, 2012, 07:25:18 AM »

So if I'm wrong.  Is Girardi wrong too, for benching A-Rod?  Because it would seem to me, A-Rod is being "criticized" by his own manager more than the other struggling Yankees you mentioned. 

You think Girardi's primary reason for benching him is his salary?

And not the fact he can't hit the ball and striking out at a ridiculous rate.

I've not said he doesn't deserve criticism.  He does.  He sucks right now.

I've said he doesn't deserve MORE than Swish, Grandy, or Cano....simply based on the fact he makes more money.

The difference is...they have no one on the bench (esp with Jeter gone) who can fill all 3 of those positions in one night.  Cano, especially...you've got no real vibale other option at 2nd base.

Swish sat the other night.

Grandy was supposed to sit, last night.

And it may not be "fair" to criticize A-Rod more because of his ridiculously overpaid salary, but that's life.  Life isn't fair.  You should be used to that by now.  It's not going to change.

I'm not trying to change the world...just pointing out it's unfairness.

The organization may care more about how "fans" feel than you'd like to admit.  Reference the Red Sox cleaning house in August.  The fans were lambasting Beckett on a daily basis, saying Crawford was a horrid contract that they were stuck with.  In one fell swoop, the front office rid themselves of those "problems".  Now apparently the Yankees are seeking ways of ridding themselves of A-Rod.  If the team could care less what fans think, why would they try to make these bold moves?  To make the team better?  Sure.  The Red Sox certainly didn't get any better by the trade they made, but they saved a lot of money.  If the Yankees deal A-Rod, I'd imagine they'd have to eat a good portion of his contract, so they won't be saving much money there.  And it's debatable if they'll be better without him.  Depends on a lot of factors obviously.  One thing is for sure though, the majority of fans would LOVE it.  So again, maybe they do care what fans think to a certain point.  It wouldn't be very smart to give your loyal fanbase the middle finger with a smug "We don't care what you think" attitude.  That doesn't seem like good business to me.

I promise you...the Sox decisions had little to do with the fans opinions on players...and more to do with their long term outlook on attendance and profit.  They cleared payroll...THATS what they were doing.

If they rid themselves of A-rod...again, it will be the same thing.  Cost cutting and future potential profit.

They're not quite so obvious about it.  They don't give the middle finger..they give the golden smile and then some lip service to make everyone feel better.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1062 on: October 18, 2012, 07:51:56 AM »

Contracts are usually given to players based on their past accomplishments.  In most cases, you have to earn your way to the big money.  Young players, at least in MLB, don't get paid the big bucks.

You just obliterated your own point.

There are other market, collective bargaining rule, MLBPA rule, and business level factors at work when considering salary.  Not just performance.

So when they do finally enter free agency, they may be entering the end of their prime or exiting it altogether.  So yes, often those contracts are looked at as "bad", and they are.  And the organization is to blame for giving out those contracts, not the player for taking the money that they were offered.  But A-Rod was once the best player in the game, who signed the richest contract in baseball history.  He remained as one of the elite.  So when he signs for 25 million to continue on with the Yankees, what should a fans expectation be?

Realistically? That he play, largely, to the back of his baseball card, tempering that with the obvious declines age will bring.

Which has nothing to do with the contract value.

Should they expect him to start to break down, not be able to hit in the post-season to the point where he gets pinched hit for and ultimately benched?

Nowhere have I said that's the case. Though I'd point out...the benching and being PH for isn't something he directly controls.  Girardi could do that if he was playing like Babe Ruth (though you'd wonder why).

So yes...give him the business for sucking. I certainly am.  But..give Cano, Grandy, and Swish the same business.  You realize, of the 4, A-rod hasn't been the worst player?  Or even the 2nd worst player.  His .130 average is actually BETTER than 2 of the 3 other guys we're talking about.

I'm not saying you shouldn't criticize him. I'm saying he should be criticized for the "right" reasons...and not blamed MORE than others, in that lineup, who are having just as putrid of a time at the dish.

If that's a reasonable expectation for fans to have had, then I stand corrected.  But I don't think Alex is living up to his contract.  Certain players can skate by a little easier than others.  Alex is not one of them.  He's public enemy #1.  The poster boy for selfish, arrogant, unlikeable athletes. 

You're setting up a strawman in the discussion...because I never made the point you're setting up to knock down.

Yes, he is.  Thanks for finally being honest about the reason he gets more grief.

I suspect that's the case with most people/fans....his salary is a convenient pile on.  The truth is..they just don't like the guys personality.

Which, when looking at his performance on the field, still isn't all that fair (there have been LOTS of dicks in MLB who were pretty damn good ball players).  But at least it's being honest about it, and it's reliance on a subjective opinion.

Out of curiosity, do you agree with how Girardi has handled the whole A-Rod saga?  I said it before, as crazy as it sounds, and as much as I hate A-Rod, I think he's been treated a bit unfairly in this whole thing.  Not so much by the fans.  I get their displeasure.  But Girardi, in my mind, has thrown Alex under the bus.  Like you've said, and everybody else can see, Alex is far from the only one struggling.  Yet all the focus is on him, and Girardi is only intensifying that with the way he has handled the situation.  That's the way I feel at least.

I think Arod brings this stuff on himself.  If you don't hit RH pitching, and strike out 50% of the time....and your team REALLY wants to win...I'm not sure what other options there are, considering what the Yanks have on their roster and who is and isn't hitting.  Now add this crap about trying to get phone numbers from Australian bikini models in the 8th inning of a game you just got pulled out of?  I think he's lost the manager and the clubhouse, largely.

I'm not sure I'd say Girardi has thrown him under the bus....at least not intentionally, at first.  I think they have a viable option, who had a pretty good year (though he's 0-14, so far, in the Post), especially against RH pitching, who can play 3rd base at least as well as Arod can.  And they've got a relatively hot bat that needs the DH spot.  So who's the odd man out?

It's tough..because (at least at the outset of this saga), you are thinking you have to "deal" with Arod over the next 5 years.  That might have changed in recent days...there might be some thought you could ship him out.  But at the outset...you're caught.  I think Girardi erred on the side of doing what he thought was best for the team...and he double checked with Cashman before doing it.  Cashman, FYI, isn't exactly Arods biggest fan (remember, Arod was signed directly by the Steinbrenners...Cash AND Boras were cut out of the extension negotations, largely).

Now, if you mean Girardi's placed more "blame" on A-rod...in that I agree.  It's unfair.  They're (the organization) making him the scapegoat, publically, when, really, he's only one small part of the problem(s).  He mentions Arod more than the other 3 guys stinking up the joint...and I don't think that's simply because the media is focusing on him, either.  But here's the rub:  He has to be very careful what he says, and how he says it, when talking about Cano/Swish/Granderson...because all 3 of those guys are potential signings in a very short time frame.  And A-rod is locked down until he retires or is traded (ie: The Yanks, to some extent, control where he is and what he does).  I suspect that's coloring some of what he's saying, because he's been "advised" to say it that way.

I think NOW, they're fed up with him.  I think the phone number fiasco was, at least partly, the reason he's remained on the bench.  I think the "Hi Mom" goofiness didn't help his case. According to Cashman yesterday, he'll will remain on the bench unless they see lefty pitching (Detroit has no lefty starters...so I wouldn't expect to see Arod on the field again this season.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1063 on: October 18, 2012, 07:55:16 AM »

Postponed!! Yanks live to fight another day!

But lose the ability to pitch CC in game 7 on short rest.

Not that there's much chance of there BEING a game 7...but still.

Together again,
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1064 on: October 18, 2012, 10:34:29 AM »

With all our talk recently about player contracts, I figured this is a worthwhile read:

How much will Wright's next contract cost?

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/58473/how-much-will-wrights-next-contract-cost 
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #1065 on: October 18, 2012, 11:51:31 AM »

Timmy vs. Wainwright tonight - should be a slobberknocker smoking

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1066 on: October 19, 2012, 01:29:06 AM »

Pilferk. here's the problem with this argument.  I never once said A-Rod is only getting blamed because of his salary.  That's obviously only ONE factor.  The larger point is he isn't very well liked.  It took awhile for Yankee fans to warm up to him, and they never really fully accepted him, at least not for any great length of time.  His salary DOES play a role in the way he is perceived, but it's certainly not that alone.  When you're one of the game's highest paid players and you're not producing, that $ is going to get brought up.  And I do think it's fair. 

Anyway, Yanks are done.  Now they face what could be an interesting off-season.  Reports coming out today that neither Miami or the Dodgers are interested in trying to deal for A-Rod.  A-Rod vows he will be back with the Yanks, with a vengeance.  We'll see about that.  I'd pray for a trade Alex.  You have to know when to walk away from a situation where you're clearly not wanted.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1067 on: October 19, 2012, 06:43:11 AM »

Pilferk. here's the problem with this argument.  I never once said A-Rod is only getting blamed because of his salary.  That's obviously only ONE factor.

Really?

]I could give you 25 million reasons why A-Rod is taking most of the heat for his offensive offensive performance.  YES, I meant to use offensive twice.

Nowhere, in the rest of the body of that post do you say anything about "not well liked".

So....it's tough to argue the point that I'm misrepresenting what you said when it's YOU who didn't present anything else, no?

I addressed what you actually said....

The other point is...it doesn't matter if it's the "only reason" (even if it's the only one you gave in that post). It's the reason, which you presented, that I object to.  So...as you would expect..it's the one I addressed.

And I did..in my original post...point out his abysmal PERFORMANCE (along with Cano, Grandy, and Swish). So, obviously, I consider those legit reasons to criticize them.

The larger point is he isn't very well liked.  It took awhile for Yankee fans to warm up to him, and they never really fully accepted him, at least not for any great length of time.  His salary DOES play a role in the way he is perceived, but it's certainly not that alone.  When you're one of the game's highest paid players and you're not producing, that $ is going to get brought up.  And I do think it's fair. 

So...you would be OK having your work product judged based on how well liked you are around the office? Or amongst your firms customers...when you have no real direct contact with them and your "job" really has nothing to do with Customer Service?

Let me put in in GnR terms:

Axl is "difficult".  He's eccentric.  He's widely disliked by lots of folks.  He makes brilliant music.

Is it fair to judge his music based on his personality quirks?

We know it happens...but that's not the point.

Again, neither reason is fair...but at least the "hater gonna hate" is honest.

Anyway, Yanks are done.  Now they face what could be an interesting off-season.  Reports coming out today that neither Miami or the Dodgers are interested in trying to deal for A-Rod.  A-Rod vows he will be back with the Yanks, with a vengeance.  We'll see about that.  I'd pray for a trade Alex.  You have to know when to walk away from a situation where you're clearly not wanted.

I think your sure bets to return are:
Jeter
Cano
Gardner
Tex
CC

I think likely returns are:
Robertson
Ibanez
Pettite

After that, all bets are off.  Between trade bait, the Yanks promised fiscal cliff (189 million by 2014), possible retirements (Mo, Chavez, Jones, Garcia..though Jones was bad enough not to get a contract tender, regardless) and FA....I have a feeling the Yanks are going to look quite a bit different next year (and probably by the end of this year).

With A-rod...neither scenario would surprise me.  He could be gone...or they could hold on to him.  I think it's MORE likely he gets traded.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 07:04:27 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1068 on: October 19, 2012, 10:05:42 AM »

Pilferk. here's the problem with this argument.  I never once said A-Rod is only getting blamed because of his salary.  That's obviously only ONE factor.

Really?

]I could give you 25 million reasons why A-Rod is taking most of the heat for his offensive offensive performance.  YES, I meant to use offensive twice.

Nowhere, in the rest of the body of that post do you say anything about "not well liked".

So....it's tough to argue the point that I'm misrepresenting what you said when it's YOU who didn't present anything else, no?

I addressed what you actually said....

You addressed what I actually said in that ONE post.  You're disregarding everything I've said since then.  I thought we were having a back and forth discussion.  If you want to focus on my initial post only, which let's face it, was partially said in jest.  Then this has all been pointless and a waste of time.

Comparing my life with A-Rod's is just silly.  I don't make 25 million a year, nor does everyone in the world that knows of me know what my salary is.  Separating from the obvious differences, and salary altogether.  Luckily I'm one helluva swell guy.  If I was a complete dickbag like A-Rod, then I would expect appropriate consequences.  If I WAS doing a good job, people may not love me as a person but they'd probably respect the work I was doing.  If I was performing way below my means and was still an ass, then yeah it would be fair for people to treat me as such.

By the way, do you still think that A-Rod is an elite 3B?  Would you still take him over David Wright, Adrian Beltre, Ryan Zimmerman, etc.?

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #1069 on: October 19, 2012, 10:10:05 AM »

When you are paying a guy close to 30 million/per season to sit on the bench, I think it's safe to say he's overrated/overpaid.
That type of contract would cripple any other team in MLB. His contract essentially did cripple Texas while he was there. It wasn't until they shed that albatross of a contract that they finally became competitive. Is it A-Rod's fault? Of course not. Any one in his position would take the money, and would be an idiot not to. You can bet I would take that deal in a second, and there's a good chance I would strike out every at bat for 10 years. The blame falls at the feat of the owners, but they are in a bit of a difficult position. In order to have a player in his prime, you have to accept the fact that you'll be paying him top dollar when he's washed up. That's just the direction free agency has gone. Thanks Scott Boras(and A-Rod). If you don't pay him, someone will. In the case of A-Rod, his postseason numbers have been disappointing(from a Yankee fan's perspective) on the whole, but he had a monster 2009 playoff run. Without him, they don't win that championship, and that's what he was brought to NY for, so while he's not getting it done now, he did in a way fulfill his end of the bargain. It's not his fault that other people had the delusions he would be producing at a level to warrant 28/per at the age of 37, 38, 39 etc. I don't know why the Yankees offered him the deal he got when he opted out of his initial contract, but they print money.. Still, he wasn't going to sniff that deal from anyone else, so they outbid themselves by a long shot. New York should call the Dodgers and see if they have any more favors in them.

Would be cool to see Detroit vs St. Louis rematch. I felt bad for Tigers fans, as I thought Detroit was the far superior team in '06, but couldn't get out of their own way that series. Now they finally get another shot at it. They should take advantage while they can, because that Prince Fielder contract ain't going to look too pretty as he get's older. Something tells me that body won't age gracefully!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1070 on: October 19, 2012, 10:38:20 AM »

You addressed what I actually said in that ONE post.  You're disregarding everything I've said since then.  I thought we were having a back and forth discussion.  If you want to focus on my initial post only, which let's face it, was partially said in jest.  Then this has all been pointless and a waste of time.

Well, that was the topic of discussion....it's specifically what you pointed out, and what I replied to.  In other spots, later in the discussion...where I agree...I simply say I agree.

You said "You never once said".  In fact, you did say....without any further specifications.  And you've continued to defend the point.  It's the point of the disucussion...I"m not sure what you think I'm missing, specifically.

So for there to be "back and forth",  you've gotta provide some obvious "back".

Your  tune changed, in the more recent posts, with the more honest "hater gonna hate" bent.

Notice when you took that bent, I agreed with you that was, IMHO, the larger reason.

Comparing my life with A-Rod's is just silly.  I don't make 25 million a year, nor does everyone in the world that knows of me know what my salary is.  Separating from the obvious differences, and salary altogether.  Luckily I'm one helluva swell guy.  If I was a complete dickbag like A-Rod, then I would expect appropriate consequences.  If I WAS doing a good job, people may not love me as a person but they'd probably respect the work I was doing.  If I was performing way below my means and was still an ass, then yeah it would be fair for people to treat me as such.

No, it's not silly.  He's a person.  He's working.  He's getting paid for that work by a business.  Scale of wage is irrelevant.

Treat you like you're being an ass? Sure...personally.  Avoid you in the lunch room, don't invite you out for drinks after work, avoid social interaction with you AT work...all what you would expect.  You don't have to like everyone you work with...and they don't have to like you.

But criticize your work product MORE because you're an ass? No. Not fair.

You're either doing good work...or you're not.

By the way, do you still think that A-Rod is an elite 3B?  Would you still take him over David Wright, Adrian Beltre, Ryan Zimmerman, etc.?

Betre went 0-4 agains the O's. Is he still a top 3rd baseman?

Cano hit under .100 this year in the PS. Is Cano still an elite 2nd baseman?

Honestly, with Arod, I'm not sure...ask me again in June of 2013 (no matter where he's playing).  Of course, when we had the discussion....looking at his numbers at that point...I'd still give you the same answer I gave you then. 

He can still play defensively at 3rd base.  His numbers, even coming back from the injury, were not bad..though he lacked power.  It's hard to tell if that power outage was a result of his inability to get to inside fastballs due to age...or weakened hands from the injury.  Ditto on his ability to hit righties.  Wrist/hand strength are vitally important to get to that inside pitch..and if you look at his AB's, that's what the RH pitchers did to him: Pounded in/up and in.  And those pitches, largely, are the ones he struck out on.

He had a truly terrible 9 game stretch..but his in season numbers were relatively good.  There needs to be more data, to gauge if this is just a slump or age taking it's inevitable toll.  At this point, there's it's more questionable than when we first had the discussion.

I'd also point out: I never said "elite" 3rd baseman, in the original discussion.  I said top tier/very good.

He's not a top tier MLB PLAYER any more.  But I think he still ranks as a top tier 3rd baseman....even with the injuries.  It's a pretty shallow position.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 12:46:46 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1071 on: October 19, 2012, 10:46:12 AM »

When you are paying a guy close to 30 million/per season to sit on the bench, I think it's safe to say he's overrated/overpaid.

Again, that's sort of for the organization to determine.

Why should any fan worry about whether Arod is being "overpaid"? And what effect does it actually have on his performance.

Value will come into the ORGANIZATIONAL discussions, this off season.  But..that contract is signed.  It has nothing to do with the here and now.

That type of contract would cripple any other team in MLB. His contract essentially did cripple Texas while he was there. It wasn't until they shed that albatross of a contract that they finally became competitive. Is it A-Rod's fault? Of course not. Any one in his position would take the money, and would be an idiot not to. You can bet I would take that deal in a second, and there's a good chance I would strike out every at bat for 10 years. The blame falls at the feat of the owners, but they are in a bit of a difficult position. In order to have a player in his prime, you have to accept the fact that you'll be paying him top dollar when he's washed up. That's just the direction free agency has gone. Thanks Scott Boras(and A-Rod). If you don't pay him, someone will. In the case of A-Rod, his postseason numbers have been disappointing(from a Yankee fan's perspective) on the whole, but he had a monster 2009 playoff run. Without him, they don't win that championship, and that's what he was brought to NY for, so while he's not getting it done now, he did in a way fulfill his end of the bargain. It's not his fault that other people had the delusions he would be producing at a level to warrant 28/per at the age of 37, 38, 39 etc. I don't know why the Yankees offered him the deal he got when he opted out of his initial contract, but they print money.. Still, he wasn't going to sniff that deal from anyone else, so they outbid themselves by a long shot. New York should call the Dodgers and see if they have any more favors in them.

EXACTLY true.

The only thing I would disagree with is that the Yanks thought he would produce the same at 37 - 41 as he did in his younger days.  I don't think that.  I think the market drove them to pay what they did..and the potential for additional earnings based on his passing certain career milestones.   I don't think they were stupid enough to assume he was going to be a .300 30/30 guy well into his late 30's...because nobody else on the planet did.

Would be cool to see Detroit vs St. Louis rematch. I felt bad for Tigers fans, as I thought Detroit was the far superior team in '06, but couldn't get out of their own way that series. Now they finally get another shot at it. They should take advantage while they can, because that Prince Fielder contract ain't going to look too pretty as he get's older. Something tells me that body won't age gracefully!

I suspect we're going to get exactly that matchup.  I also think Detroit will win.

Together again,
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #1072 on: October 19, 2012, 02:53:48 PM »

I suspect we're going to get exactly that matchup.  I also think Detroit will win.

Nah, the Cardinals will be repeating as champs just like the New York Giants Wink

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1073 on: October 19, 2012, 03:01:07 PM »

Nah, the Cardinals will be repeating as champs just like the New York Giants Wink

I don't know....Detroit has the pitching and, potentially, the hitting advantage.  They also have the luxury of now setting their rotation to be a bit more friendly than the one they had in the ALCS.

The Cards have the advantage in defense.

Together again,
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #1074 on: October 19, 2012, 05:21:47 PM »

I think Detroit will win the series but I hope its a good one. Tigers will be lead by one hell of a pitcher and the triple crown winner, which I still think is not being talked about enough.

Tough break for Yanks, I do love watching them lose, but that was still weird. I have hated A-Rod since he was in Texas but the media has made me defend him. They are ragging like if this whole thing is his fault. I wonder if he gets a positive test in the next year or two as age creeps and he wants to prove he can still play at a high level. I don't get too upset anymore with steroids. I don't want them to use it, but I can see why they would. Its not like Baseball didn't ignore it for years as well.

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1075 on: October 19, 2012, 05:48:13 PM »

Well, that was the topic of discussion....it's specifically what you pointed out, and what I replied to.  In other spots, later in the discussion...where I agree...I simply say I agree.

You said "You never once said".  In fact, you did say....without any further specifications.  And you've continued to defend the point.  It's the point of the disucussion...I"m not sure what you think I'm missing, specifically.

Your  tune changed, in the more recent posts, with the more honest "hater gonna hate" bent.

Notice when you took that bent, I agreed with you that was, IMHO, the larger reason.

I NEVER said that his salary was the ONLY reason for him being dragged through the dirt.  You inferred that from my "25 million reasons" comment.  There's obviously more to it than his salary.  I've said time and again over the years that A-Rod is an ass, and isn't very well liked for a player of his stature (similar to Lebron). 

It's a package deal for Alex, like many superstars.  He gets paid insane amounts of cash, he lives his life in the spotlight (not that it's really up to him).  Some of his off the field excursions are questionable, and on the field as well.  The guy was the best player in the game for some time, yet he never won anything until 2009.  And with the Yankees, minus that one season, he has done poorly when the lights shined brightest.  All of those factors contribute to him taking FAIR criticism.   

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1076 on: October 20, 2012, 07:15:17 PM »

I NEVER said that his salary was the ONLY reason for him being dragged through the dirt.  You inferred that from my "25 million reasons" comment.  There's obviously more to it than his salary.  I've said time and again over the years that A-Rod is an ass, and isn't very well liked for a player of his stature (similar to Lebron). 

It's a package deal for Alex, like many superstars.  He gets paid insane amounts of cash, he lives his life in the spotlight (not that it's really up to him).  Some of his off the field excursions are questionable, and on the field as well.  The guy was the best player in the game for some time, yet he never won anything until 2009.  And with the Yankees, minus that one season, he has done poorly when the lights shined brightest.  All of those factors contribute to him taking FAIR criticism.   

BUT THAT'S NOT FAIR!

DON'T BE MEAN!  PLAY NICE!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1077 on: October 21, 2012, 01:07:45 AM »

John Farrell named Red Sox manager.  Looks like Mike Aviles is the compensation.  I'm alright with that.  Aviles was alright, but I don't think he was part of their future plans.  Hopefully Farrell can inject some life into that awful pitching staff of theirs.  Lester, Buccholz, and Bard all fared better when he was their pitching coach.  FWIW.

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #1078 on: October 22, 2012, 11:40:24 AM »

John Farrell named Red Sox manager.  Looks like Mike Aviles is the compensation.  I'm alright with that.  Aviles was alright, but I don't think he was part of their future plans.  Hopefully Farrell can inject some life into that awful pitching staff of theirs.  Lester, Buccholz, and Bard all fared better when he was their pitching coach.  FWIW.

General consensus around Toronto is that the Blue Jays got completely hosed in this deal Sad

Another rough outing for Carp' last night.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1079 on: October 22, 2012, 03:03:36 PM »

I didn't infer it. You implied it.  And I'm not sure what other implication you'd expect people to come away with given the words you typed and the context of the conversation.  It was also the only reason you initially presented (however you'd like to frame that presentation).  And it's one I disagree with.

It's a package deal for Alex, like many superstars.  He gets paid insane amounts of cash, he lives his life in the spotlight (not that it's really up to him).  Some of his off the field excursions are questionable, and on the field as well.

All reasons you can call him a dick, dislike him personally, and criticize the way he lives his life off the field (with the exception, IMHO, of his making insane amounts of money and some of the stuff he does on the field).

I have no problem separating the two "aspects" of Arod: The persona vs the player.  One has very little to do with the other.

The guy was the best player in the game for some time, yet he never won anything until 2009.  And with the Yankees, minus that one season, he has done poorly when the lights shined brightest.  All of those factors contribute to him taking FAIR criticism.   

Those last two..perfectly fair when talking about on the field play.  But, again...look at Swish and Granderson. Swish has been awful in the PS...and Granderson has not been particularly great, either.  Tex, until this year, has been pretty poor, too.

My point wasn't that he deserves NO blame.  It's that he deserves EQUAL blame...based off of what he actually did on the field.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 03:06:09 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 61 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: