Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 07:00:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Concert Reviews/Media Articles
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Concert Reviews/Media Articles  (Read 13578 times)
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« on: November 07, 2011, 08:11:12 PM »

Can we set up a new thread here with postings of any new concert reviews that come out?  I know we have the media section, but very little is posted.  I'm sure most of us would like a thread here dedicated to positive concert reviews, or just overall media articles that are good to read from all over the world.  There is A LOT going on in GNR today and I don't want to miss anything.  I'm sure there are concert reviews all across US towns that I'm missing.  It would be great to have a spot to go to where we can find all reviews rather than going to each individual concert show and have to find what page a review was posted on. 

« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 01:43:16 PM by damnthehaters » Logged

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 09:00:39 PM »

Over the Weekend: Guns N' Roses at Gexa Energy Pavilion

Guns N' Roses, The Sword
Gexa Energy Pavilion
Saturday, November 5

Better than: I could have ever expected in weather that was damn near perfect.

Do those jeans make Axl look fat?

But somehow, perhaps because expectations were so low, a rather healthy-looking Rose and his current collection of sidemen put on a hell of a show.
Playing a collection of hits, deep cuts and surprising cover choices, Guns N' Roses were accomplished throughout the evening. The only drawback was an over-reliance on solos. Hell, I was half expecting the roadies to get their moment in the spotlight.

But despite the '70s-era showboating and the horribly low volume on Rose's microphone, the band sounded as good, if not better, than the original crew of Slash, Izzy, Duff, etc.

What Axl Rose has done is assemble a large cast of skilled instrumentalists, guys who clearly know their roles and who calls the shots.

The entire concert was staged like some odd rock and roll variety show. Besides the solos, the set list included covers of The Who's "My Generation" (sung by bassist Tommy Stinson) and AC/DC's "Whole Lotta Rosie." Even the solos were mishmashes of everything from the James Bond and Pink Panther themes to snippets of songs from Elton John and Pink Floyd.

But for the most part, it all worked because Guns N' Roses original material still sounds as fresh and engaging as it did in the late 80's. Although the show began with the semi-recent "Chinese Democracy," it was on the second song, "Welcome to the Jungle," that the band really hit stride.

Continue:

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/2011/11/over_the_weekend_guns_n_roses.php

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 09:36:44 PM »

Can we set up a new thread here with postings of any new articles that surface?  I know we have the media section, but very little is posted.  I'm sure most of us would like a thread here dedicated to positive concert reviews, or just overall media articles that are good to read from all over the world.  There is A LOT going on in GNR today and I don't want to miss anything.  I'm sure there are concert reviews all across US towns that I'm missing.  It's great that the tour is going so well and a shit load of people are enjoying the shows (as evidence by the ticketmaster fan reviews)

I can start with what I found tonight....(it would be just like our youtube page) 

http://www.spin.com/articles/inside-axl-roses-first-tv-interview-over-decade?page=0%2C1

Great article. Tell you the truth, I don't care if old gn'r ever play together again, but it would be cool if axl and slash could patch it up.
LordRazZ
VIP

I haven't updated this section in years. Tada.

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 10:56:36 PM »

From what it sounds like, Axl and Slash may be getting along better than anyone portrays. Forget the whole reunion thing. I think for everyone, fans, the band, Axl n' Slash, it'd be nice to see them together some how, get some closure, and move on. I think it would do everyone in the band a great service for Axl and Slash to sit together, on camera, have Slash say he's cool with the new lineup, Axl like's Slash's new stuff, etc....just to put everything behind them.

The last time I edited my signature, I still had ICQ.  That's crazy.
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 11:24:39 AM »

A Houston review.  This is obviously an example of the writer going into it believing everything he reads and wanting to diss Axl and the new band,.....but,   just can't

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2011/11/guns_n_roses_at_toyota_center.php

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
scans n' copies
Headliner

I still say "OK, nevermind" when I hear s.o.d.

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 11:59:34 AM »

Thanks for posting that, Funky.  Can't wait for Friday night.

We finally got a U.S. tour!!!!!!!!!!!
tippasaurus
Rocker

You must be the change you wish to see

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 05:14:15 PM »

Did I read that right, he said Loaded would be opening up for GnR?  Let's hope that actually happens.

"we are here to learn how to choose and to choose how to learn"
-michael
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 04:33:04 AM »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111109/GO/111109563
Guns N' Roses plays til the wee hours

By Kevin Coffey
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER
? Go

After Tuesday night's Guns N' Roses show, some might call in sick to work today.

Or maybe they'll just show up groggy and weary-eyed.

Why? The concert at CenturyLink Center Omaha was a late one. The band made its curtain call after 1:15 a.m.

The night started with an opening set from the Reverend Horton Heat and Guns N' Roses followed at 10:30 p.m.

Axl Rose and his cohorts delivered with a concert full of the band's hits and some old favorites such as "Sweet Child O Mine," "Welcome To The Jungle" and "Live And Let Die" as well as several songs from the band's latest album, "Chinese Democracy."

"Thank you," Rose said to the thousands cheering for him. "No really, thank you. What a really nice audience. Thank you for spending your night with us. God knows there's better things to do."

Though it was a late show, it could have been worse. Guns N' Roses is notoriously late to the stage and has begun recent performances as much as two hours late, according to reviews.

Rose - in a bandana, jeans, chains and at least eight different hats he switched out through the show - also looked and sounded better than recent reports had led me to believe. Some said he was off-key and out of rhythm and the victim of some major weight gain.

In Omaha, he was svelte and incredibly active. Throughout the show, he did his trademark jerky, twirling dance moves and his voice - one of the most recognizable in rock - was like a smack in the face: sharp, strong and surprising.

The thousands in attendance - some in leather and faded GNR shirts and others in Rose-style red bandanas - were mesmerized by the band and cheered until their lungs were sore. During solos, the crowd threw fists in the air and jumped around, too.

At least, those were the people that stuck around.

As the night wore on, many people began to leave even though the band hadn't yet played songs such as "November Rain" (they did get to the piano/guitar ballad eventually). By the end of the concert, about half of the original crowd remained in the arena.

The band acknowledged the late hour when, during hour two, roadies brought a tub to the stage and Rose began to pull out cans of Monster energy drink and throw them into the crowd.

Some fans probably needed it. Some were yawning and others (myself included) sat down after being on their feet for most of the concert.

While a Guns N' Roses set is full of blistering, face-melting hard rock, there were some lulls. The band could cut down the dull moments by dropping some of the lesser-known (and, frankly, not as good) songs from "Chinese Democracy" out of its set.

GNR also played random several covers, the highlight of which was bassist Tommy Stinson (formerly of the Replacements) singing lead vocals on The Who's "My Generation."

Not counting the guitar solos present in almost every song, there were nearly a dozen extra solos that were like entire songs. Some songs were filled with so many guitar solos and hair-metal-style jamming that they felt like they might not end ("Knockin' On Heaven's Door," especially).

Still, the band has more hits than it knows what to do with. After two hours, I couldn't think of more songs that the band could possibly play. They followed with "Night Train," "Don't Cry," "Patience" and several others.

The two hour and forty five-minute set ended on "Paradise City" while what was left of the crowd got the last of their energy out while fireworks, confetti cannons and spurts of flame burst into the air.

In the end, it was surprisingly good, but still somewhat disappointing.

Of course, it must be noted that the Guns N' Roses that played Tuesday wasn't what many call the "real" Guns N' Roses. Of the band's classic lineup, Rose is the only one still in the band.

As a music journalist, there's something in me that's against the whole idea of bands with only one original member. The original's always better, right?

Well, even though this Guns N' Roses doesn't contain anyone named Slash or Duff, they were surprisingly good. Though they're replacement players, D.J. Ashba, Stinson and others in the band are talented and have some impressive resumes. And they do nicely (at least until - I hope - a reunion tour happens).

As good as the show was, it could have been better. Cut the fluff: Several songs, most of the wardrobe changes, some of the band members (there's eight when they only really need six) and about an hour of the set could easily go and make it one of the tightest, most rocking shows ever.

It was still a good show, despite ending at 1:17 a.m. (the latest I've ever been at an arena show), and the fans loved it.

And Rose loved their admiration.

"Thank you for coming out tonight," he said before taking a bow. "Thank you again. You guys have been awesome."

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 01:33:16 PM »

Rolling Stone Article about Metal Day Interview

http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/single/axl-rose-interviewed-on-that-metal-show-20111109#ixzz1dE3GNP41

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 02:07:56 PM »

Already posted here: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=63062.msg1309132#msg1309132

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 11:43:13 PM »

I know...but I'm posting it in this section....it is a media article.  It's good to have one thread dedicated to all articles so we can easily come back to them.

So all the "media articles" are going to be posted twice?

NEWportTimbo
Opening Act

I belong to a GNR message board?

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 12:49:39 AM »

A Houston review.  This is obviously an example of the writer going into it believing everything he reads and wanting to diss Axl and the new band,.....but,   just can't

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2011/11/guns_n_roses_at_toyota_center.php

I agree 100% with that assessment.  I would also suggest people read the 10 (when i looked) comments below the article.  ALL of them are positive except 1.  That 1 however is just like the review... wanted to hate it, but just couldn't...

12/21/11 - LA
12/26/11 - PHX
12/30/11 - Vegas
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 01:14:42 AM »

I know...but I'm posting it in this section....it is a media article.  It's good to have one thread dedicated to all articles so we can easily come back to them.

Is the youtube thread on this site convenient for you?  Is it nice to go to that thread and browse through videos?  This is the same concept, but only with articles and reviews.

The YouTube thread has videos posted that don't necessarily belong in other threads. Smiley  If this was a locked news article thread to read...but to double posting all the "media articles" that are in other threads just creates two discussions.

damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 01:25:35 AM »

Is the youtube thread on this site convenient for you?  Is it nice to go to that thread and browse through videos?  This is the same concept, but only with articles and reviews.

The YouTube thread has videos posted that don't necessarily belong in other threads. Smiley  If this was a locked news article thread to read...but to double posting all the "media articles" that are in other threads just creates two discussions.

What makes you think every article will be posted twice??  If MTV comes out with an article tomorrow about the current tour and how Axl is performing, where else would that go?  Instead of starting a whole new thread, just post it here.  I guarantee you that articles will be posted here that don't belong in other threads just like youtube.  And if someone wants to read concert reviews from a bunch of shows, they can come here, instead of searching and looking through each show individually and trying to figure out what page the review is on. 

And why are you the only one who cares?....this is working just fine...good lord   

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 02:03:36 AM »

What makes you think every article will be posted twice?? 

You said you were re-posting all the "media articles" in this thread.

And you have re-posted the article I posted "Axl Rose Interviewed On 'That Metal Show' from the "Axl and GN'R on VH1's That Metal Show" where it belonged.

And why are you the only one who cares?....this is working just fine...good lord   

It's not my call, but don't give me a "dude it's already posted" like you did before, if you're going to re-post other people's posts.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 02:28:03 AM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

sandman
Legend

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 07:51:46 AM »

review of the OK show. another review that mentions how great Axl sounds.  ok

http://newsok.com/concert-review-guns-n-roses-play-lloyd-noble-center/article/3621607

one part of the review..."Rose seemed to relish the wee hours, telling the crowd at the start of the 1 a.m. encore, "I hope all those who left early enjoyed their Lady Gaga albums."

awesome!!!  rofl

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 03:11:38 AM »

Kinda cool to follow all the positive reviews on ticketmaster...

http://reviews.ticketmaster.com/7171/735218/guns-n-roses-reviews/reviews.htm
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 11:41:59 AM by damnthehaters » Logged

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 04:00:15 AM »

Kinda cool to follow all the positive reviews on ticketmaster...

http://www.ticketmaster.com/Guns-N-Roses-tickets/artist/735218#BVRRWidgetID

Yeah, I've been following these since before the tour, and so far the average score has went from 3.0 to 4.2.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 08:10:28 PM »

Only one even so so review of the Dallas show and not a bit surprised they were on fire that night the crowd was into it the whole show. Even as PC started at 12:30 they still went nuts.
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 03:59:34 AM »

Here's one from Kansas City. A little whiny, but not to bad either.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/13/3264591/review-guns-n-roses-gives-crowd.html

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: