Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 10:32:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy is $1.99 at Best Buy
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy is $1.99 at Best Buy  (Read 59112 times)
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2011, 12:52:15 PM »

I would kill for a vinyl and you guys are paying ONLY $1.99.

Extremely envious  hihi .

If I pay the vinyl and the shipping, could some of you help me?

Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2011, 02:08:29 PM »

Wont best buy ship to you?

But anyway next time I'm near a best buy I was thinking of getting a few copies, so i'll see if you're still interested by that time
svdv22
VIP

This is not a piano falling out of the sky

« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2011, 02:24:18 PM »

I wish they would sell it for that price in the Netherlands :-)

overmatik
« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2011, 03:42:47 PM »

Wont best buy ship to you?

But anyway next time I'm near a best buy I was thinking of getting a few copies, so i'll see if you're still interested by that time

Unfortunately BestBuy ships only within the States. I wish they were like Amazon.
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2011, 04:04:47 PM »

Guns could have released an amazing retail album back in 2000/2001, when downloading was limited to ftp, which was relatively unknown at the time.

One word: Napster.

Was definitely around in 2000-2001.

It peaked in February 2001.

So downloading wasn't limited to FTP and it wasn't something only a few geeks did. Everybody used Napster.

/jarmo

So true. I forgot about Napster. They appeared then disappeared so quickly, but  in the big scheme of things, but they changed everything. FTP was more 90's.

I still think downloading is more prevalent now though, and I believe that, as you have already stated, it is because young adults today have grown up with downloading.

I know what your saying jarmo, but even with the existence of Napster in the early part of the decade, I don't think it's even close to the downloading culture which was present in 2008. I think the album would have done better sales wise, if it was indeed released in 2001. Simply because downloading wasn't as big of a force as it is now, and now we have a generation who believe downloading music is the norm, which wasn't the case in 2001, people still brought albums.  Wink

And that's probably my biggest regret about how CD turned out, not the music but the missed opportunity to release it earlier in the decade (before 2005) when the music industry took it's last gasp, before evolving into a culture where people could easily access software to download music both legally and illegally.  Undecided

I really don't think you can argue the fact that in terms of music sales, and the culture towards buying/downloading albums. It would have been a better business choice to release the album in 2001-2-3-4-5, but unfortunately it wasn't to be, and it was released when the music industry was already in a strong decline.  Tongue

Read this re: downloading the other day and thought it was interesting:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2011/03/us-internet-piracy-is-on-the-decline/1

Online piracy is a popular scapegoat of the music industry, which has suffered a 30% decline in global sales between 2004 to 2009, according to IFPI's annual digital music report [PDF].

But given that only 9% of U.S. Internet users use P2P networks to download music illegally (that percentage does include those who obtain music through unauthorized online streaming services and download sites), one wonders whether that blame is merited.

I mean, I really don't think you can argue that downloading music legally or illegally. Defers people from actually walking into a store and buying physical copies of an album, which was less all round in the early 2000s, compared to later in the decade.

And I would also like to address jarmo, and would like to state that I realise the album wasn't ready in the time period in which I'm talking about. But we also know from over the years, that loads and loads of songs were floating around in that time period. And alot of them was done mid-decade in regards to the vocals and bodywork of the song. I also am aware that changes and overdubs were then made in relation to improving various songs.  Cheesy

So, I feel that GN'R could have put out an album in 2004-5-6, if they needed to. I'm sure there was sufficient material ready to go, maybe not as polished as the additions that were made later, but never the less, a product could have been released. And I just wish that GN'R capitalised on that specific time period when they made the successful comeback in 2002, and MTV was reporting on them positively after their VMA performance.  ok

So..... all I am saying is that, as a fan I would have liked to have seen Chinese Democracy released in 2001-2-3-4-5. Because I'm positive it would have sold more, and would have been all round more successful due to the downloading culture of music, not fully setting in yet.  Tongue
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 04:09:01 PM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2011, 08:29:58 PM »

Went to Best Buy today here in Chattanooga,TN  They had 126 copies on CD and about 6 vinyls.

I bought 2 copies on CD.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #126 on: April 09, 2011, 12:46:25 PM »

The vinyl is also two dollars.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
el_loko
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #127 on: April 09, 2011, 01:13:16 PM »

I've the same question  Wink Please Smiley
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #128 on: April 09, 2011, 02:01:34 PM »

i thought of taking up a Paypal fund so we can sell out my Best Buy.

U send 3 dollars, I'll purchase and mail it to u anywhere in the world.

Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #129 on: April 09, 2011, 02:26:13 PM »

That's cool. I'm in!  peace

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #130 on: April 09, 2011, 03:53:59 PM »

I'm in as well!

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #131 on: April 09, 2011, 06:42:41 PM »

Id probably only do cds as vinyls could be tough to ship. cds i just throw in a padded envelope and its easy.

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #132 on: April 09, 2011, 08:07:43 PM »

i thought of taking up a Paypal fund so we can sell out my Best Buy.

U send 3 dollars, I'll purchase and mail it to u anywhere in the world.

That's a cool idea, Best Buy won't know what's hit them.  Smiley

They'd have no clue that they where now taking international orders, via a middleman called "D".  hihi
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #133 on: April 09, 2011, 09:14:29 PM »

HAHAHA thats right!

Anyone interested just PM me. Now of course if you live overseas and want 10 copies, may have to get a little help on Shipping costs but I don't mind using some of my own money to help out with shipping and handling. just don't want a 30 dollar shipping charge! LOL  I'm not that rich! hihi

erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #134 on: April 11, 2011, 08:23:27 AM »

HAHAHA thats right!

Anyone interested just PM me. Now of course if you live overseas and want 10 copies, may have to get a little help on Shipping costs but I don't mind using some of my own money to help out with shipping and handling. just don't want a 30 dollar shipping charge! LOL  I'm not that rich! hihi

ok

Where's the "like" button on this forum Jarmo?  Wink

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #135 on: April 12, 2011, 10:09:35 PM »

So tell me how this works please Huh.  CD was exclusively sold at Best Buy am I correct?  Obviously there was a contract between BB and GNR, my next question is... does such a contract have a experation date and can another store purchase CD and then sell it in their own store during this contractual time frame.  Once the contract has expired if it does, can any store then stock the cd to sell?  Whole reason I am asking this is I saw it today at Fred Meyer store, and granted it was one copy and it was $14.95.  I was a little bit shocked to see it there and so I was wondering more about how this process all works Tongue.

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
AXL DEMOCRACY
Rocker

« Reply #136 on: April 12, 2011, 10:09:47 PM »

"The art comes first.  It dictates if not the course [then] the destination artistically." - W. Axl Rose
King Axl
Rocker

4/14/2012. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

« Reply #137 on: April 12, 2011, 10:29:52 PM »

Somehow, that just seems too hard to believe

"Something, something, something, DARK SIDE. Something, something, something, COMPLETE".
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #138 on: April 12, 2011, 10:32:46 PM »

HAHAHA thats right!

ok

Where's the "like" button on this forum Jarmo?  Wink

Sample place the YouTube function is!!

hihi

Kidding aside, I went into my local Best Buy today and there were 5 copies left. I asked "Hey do you guys have anymore?" and the guy said "Nope, our warehouse is empty too." Take it with a grain of salt, but the guy said they won't be getting any for a little while - whether that means they have to order in from other warehouses or they have to order more pressings - who knows. Anyways, I bought the 5 copies and walked out.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2011, 12:14:47 AM »

So tell me how this works please Huh.  CD was exclusively sold at Best Buy am I correct?  Obviously there was a contract between BB and GNR, my next question is... does such a contract have a experation date and can another store purchase CD and then sell it in their own store during this contractual time frame.  Once the contract has expired if it does, can any store then stock the cd to sell?  Whole reason I am asking this is I saw it today at Fred Meyer store, and granted it was one copy and it was $14.95.  I was a little bit shocked to see it there and so I was wondering more about how this process all works Tongue.
The Best Buy exclusivity has ended.  It's been awhile now actually.  So the CD can be sold at any store who wants to sell it.

And I believe even during the exclusivity timeframe, any independent record stores were free to purchase and sell CD at their stores.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: