Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 10:56:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  MAC VS PC
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MAC VS PC  (Read 17157 times)
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« on: October 05, 2010, 10:00:54 AM »

ok the title says it all. what are the big pros and cons of both and what do they have different? Also which one is the best in general and why?

Oh My God i cant deny this...
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 12:31:50 PM »

Is this a general question or are you looking to make an informed decision? I am biased against Macs. I think they're just useful for the snob value and are very over priced. You can get higher specced PC hardware for the same price and don't get locked into Apple's walled play land when it comes to software. However, if you have other Apple products, it might be useful, since they all integrate well. They also have marginally better build quality.

PCs? The great thing is freedom. If you are knowledgeable, it's good fun assembling your own, you can install your own software and use it any way you like.

Functionally, they're all the same.

Fuck 'Em All.
Chief
Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 07:16:21 PM »

There is no one best one.  It depends on what you use it for and what kind of user you are.

I like PCs more because they are cheaper, more customizable and you can upgrade/build them pretty easily.  If you're careful about what you install/download you should be ok if your system is set up correctly.

Some people say macs are better for audio recording and video editing.  They are more expensive though, but overall pretty good.  They won't run all the software out there though.  Another lame thing is that many of their laptops don't have user replaceable batteries - you have to take it in to get it replaced!!

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 10:54:25 PM »

Some people say macs are better for audio recording and video editing. 

That's just a myth. Whatever audio / video recording or editing you want to do, can be done on a PC just as well or better.
It's just one of those false perceptions of Macs that have grown with time and which now marketing people regurgitate.

With a Mac, you're effectively just paying for a logo, nothing more. If you need support based solutions, Dell or HP is better.

Fuck 'Em All.
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 10:59:05 AM »

Is this a general question or are you looking to make an informed decision? I am biased against Macs. I think they're just useful for the snob value and are very over priced. You can get higher specced PC hardware for the same price and don't get locked into Apple's walled play land when it comes to software. However, if you have other Apple products, it might be useful, since they all integrate well. They also have marginally better build quality.

PCs? The great thing is freedom. If you are knowledgeable, it's good fun assembling your own, you can install your own software and use it any way you like.

Functionally, they're all the same.

Thanks for answering Genesis, well basically im undecided if i should buy a normal laptop from sony or toshiba or hp, or a apple one, i do think their overpriced, but i heard they give much less problems with virus and that they're more enjoyable to use and the system is also easier than windows and not such a pain in the ass.
But im looking for you guys opinions. I do have some apple products, i have an Iphone 3g and an Ipod Classic, but they run pretty well on a pc.

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 11:29:53 AM »

If it's a laptop, it's a bit different. High end laptops from HP or Sony (same price range as MacBook) have quite the same build quality as a Mac. It depends on whether you like the Mac's aluminium uni body construction or the different designs from HP (Check out the Envy series) or some other PC maker. For hardware specs, you will get higher configs from a PC maker and quickly. Macs are refreshed only like a year or so (New Intel processors out by this year end will only feature in next year's designs).

From a software perspective, it's less clearer. OSX does have very few viruses and the like, but it's not very secure (Windows although a prime target, is patched regularly). Enjoyability / Ease of use is subjective and you have to actually use OSX for a while and find out for yourself. It's pretty different from Windows.

Basically, you should figure out your budget, short list the highest configurations you can find for that budget from a few PC makers (HP, Sony, Dell etc.) and from Apple, narrow it down to around 3 (Two PCs and a Mac) and then go to a store and try them out.

Good luck, I hope the PC wins. Wink

Fuck 'Em All.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 11:34:50 AM »

I use a Dell desktop at home and a Macbook laptop when I'm out.

I'm not that computer savvy.  I've been using the Dell for years but am new to the Macbook so for that reason I prefer the Dell.

I'm more comfortable/familiar with using the microsoft-windows programs and layout but I've had zero problems with the macbook.  It's just different from what I've been used to for so long.

So I think whichever fits your budget that gets you the most bang for your buck .... programs/memory/speed.... is the way to go.  (the speed thing has to do with the something else along with the type of connection you use... something like the memory maybe but I really don't remember what.  I'm sure someone else here can tell you if you don't already know)

As far as brands go for PCs, I've heard that it's really not a big issue so IMO whichever gives you the best deal would be the way to go.  (the only reason I picked a Dell was because they gave discounts to where I worked)

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
svdv22
VIP

This is not a piano falling out of the sky

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 04:10:51 PM »

Well I wouldn't want to go as far as saying one is better than the other but I am saying I'm never buying a PC again. Yes, you pay for the logo/name. You do for every brand, that's marketing. But I agree macs are very expensive, but I wouldn't say they're overpriced.

For one, I sold my 4 year old mac for 1000 euro (price when I bought it was 1500 euro). I did the same with a PC. I sold my 1000 euro PC after 5 years and got 150 euro for it. There are so many pc's for such low prices that nobody cares that your PC actually has better specifications. PC's value drop way faster. But I agree that you're not buying a computer to sell it again, even though it is something you might keep in mind when you think a mac is too expensive.

Also, when you buy a mac, different software is included. But to be honest, 9 out of 10 home users don't buy software anyway so I don't really think of this as a legit argument. What does matter is the operation system that's included. Mac os X is way better than windows vista on every point of view. Windows 7 was a great improvement but just not there yet.

And with 'better' I mean: Faster, more intuitive, no crashes (literally! I've been using macs for a couple of years now), way better functions (like spaces, time machine, etc). Also, a mac is safe. Easy as that. There are no viruses, no trojans. I do not have a virus scanner or anything. Some people say there are no viruses for mac because mac's market share is too little. Well that's just not true. There's a difference between hackers and crackers. Crackers create viruses for their own purpose, for doing harm, making money eventually. They do not bother getting into a mac because, well, their market share is too little for them. Hackers, however, do exactly the same. But just for the kick of it. A few years ago 2 dutch guys broke into the pentagon but, lucky for America, they were hackers and not crackers. They told them exactly how they got it and are now working for the pentagon. Hackers didn't get into the mac neither. I'm not saying nobody ever did or will but I am saying it would be an extremely rare occasion. And there are just no viruses, trojans or other annoying stuff.
When you are using windows (installing/removing software, creating/deleting files, just using the system). You leave a trail of hidden files and preferences everywhere. It's a complete mess and it slows down your PC tremendously. You don't have this problem with the mac at all. It defragments (= cleaning up your mess) your system on the fly.

Also I don't really think that the "PC is cheaper even though the specifications are better" is a valid argument. What valid is is: turn on a PC + Mac, work with it, and see which one is fastest. In the beginning and after 5 years. PC's get manufactured with parts from different brands and no one is really over-looking the complete process. Ends up the hardware works together fine but it's not optimal. With mac everything works together perfect. Most (I'm saying most, not all) PC's with 3 (sometimes even 4) gb of ram are slower than a pc with 'just' 2 gb.

Also, macs look better. PC's are ugly as hell.

However, I do agree with Genesis about macs are mostly used by snobs. But like not every PC is shit, not every mac user is a snob ;-)

If you're looking to buy a computer I'd ask myself the following questions:
- Who's buying it? Mac os X is a different operating system. It's way more logical but if you're used to windows and you don't have the time and/or will to 'learn' a different operating system. Don't bother. However I'm 100% sure that if you ask someone who's never worked with computers before to work with a mac and a PC. No doubt he/she will end up buying a Mac every time.
- Do you want to play games? There are games for the mac and there are more and more games every month/year. But still it's nothing if you compare to the range of games that's out for windows.
- Do you want to spend so much money on a computer? I definitely would (and did ;-)) but still it is a lot of money. Best is to save money on forehand. Cheapest iMac starts at 1000 dollar/euro or so. Which I think is a very fair price for what you get.

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 09:56:55 PM »

Also I don't really think that the "PC is cheaper even though the specifications are better" is a valid argument.

It is a valid argument because it's true. See below:

PC's get manufactured with parts from different brands and no one is really over-looking the complete process. Ends up the hardware works together fine but it's not optimal.

That's just rubbish. Do you think Apple manufacture their own processors? Macs are put together with parts from different brands as well. The only difference between PCs and Macs is that Apple will sell you OSX bundled while HP etc. install Windows from Microsoft.

From the specification perspective, consider this: The current Macbook Pro 13 ships with a Core 2 Duo P8600 processor which was released in June 2008. The cost of a Macbook Pro is $1199 which is just the low end model. The high end with the same processor is $1499. By the time the range is updated next year, it'll be three years old, which in the computer industry is a decade. I don't buy the "Use it, it'll feel faster" argument either. Inferior hardware is just that: inferior. It's going to be slower than a newer processor by miles.

Other manufacturers like ASUS will be happy to sell you a Core i7 and a nVidia GPU for $900.

Also, macs look better. PC's are ugly as hell.

This is their only redeeming quality, IMO.

But like everyone said, choose the best for your budget and use.

Fuck 'Em All.
svdv22
VIP

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 04:27:32 AM »

it'll be three years old, which in the computer industry is a decade

That's the whole point. Macs work fine after 3 years, 5 years, maybe even longer (haven't had the same mac for longer than 5 years). PC's don't. I had 2 PC's of my own. One was a HP and the other one I put together myself. Many friends and family are still using a PC with windows and it's just slow as hell.

I once read an article about it where the author compared the whole thing to Microsoft having a billion dollar race car which, theoretically, is the quickest ever. Point is they forgot about the pavement, which has stones and bricks sticking out. You can have a fast car but if the road doesn't allow you to you still won't be going anywhere fast. Needless to say the Mac had a perfect clear asphalt road ;-)

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 04:36:40 AM »

I think you're talking more about Mac OSX vs. Windows, which is a side bar discussion. If you're solely going for a Mac because of OSX, get it and run in on a PC. You get the latest hardware and your choice of software.

Fuck 'Em All.
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 04:39:40 AM »

You guys are surely helping me to decide!

Obviously apple products are "cute" and i have an Iphone and an Ipod and its great. As far as a laptop or a computer goes, they're really overpriced in my opinion. Its hard for me to think of spending 1000 to 1800 euros for a laptop, honestly the cheapest one that costs 1000 euros, doesnt look as good as the other ones, its actually the "cutest" one but in terms of quality it looks very old, however the one that costs 1700 euros  seems pretty good! but again its really really really really expensive!! Dunno if its worth all that money, however i do have to say that i really like the fact that Apple computers are much more secure.

Windows causes me a lot of problems, because im not really a "pro" using computers, i cant say im even close to that, so everytime i delete a file that i shouldnt have deleted whenever i catch a virus, i have to format the computer, just now im gonna have to pay 25 euros because my computer needs to be formated. I dont know how to do it myself, so in other words, lets say every year i have to spend about 25 euros 1 time to get the pc good again. On that point Apple would solve that problem which would be great!

On the other hand PCs are easily updated and on that aspect windows owns OSX.
PCs are always more affordable as well!

Its something to think about!

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 04:51:02 AM »

If you have the money and are not too anal about what's under the hood, go for a Mac. If you are price conscious and are concerned about getting the most bang for your buck, buy a PC.
On the software side, you can learn to live with either one, it's not a deal breaker.

It all boils down to the question: What do you mainly plan on doing with your computer?

Fuck 'Em All.
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 05:41:11 AM »

I wouldn't say that Mac is always better than PC, but Mac OS X is always better than any version of Windows. It's so much more efficient, especially when it comes to graphical stuff. But it's your own opinion and depends on what you're expecting from a computer. I use both, but mainly Mac. I also have Windows XP (the best Windows ever) installed on my iMac if I ever need it. Sometimes I do.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
The Chad Cometh
Mike Stewart is God
VIP

Don't think Axl! Makes my dick itch!

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 10:08:17 PM »

The kicker has to be that if you need any software specific for Windows, just install Windows on your Mac and run OSX and Windows side by side. Then you can install whatever software you want.

I am an Apple Service Technician so I might be a bit biased.

I was living to the best of my ability, now I'm living in correctional facility
Chief
Legend

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 01:27:11 PM »

I wouldn't say PCs look ugly.

look at this dell adamo, it looks quite good:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/adamo-13/pd

svdv22
VIP

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 02:18:26 PM »

That's looks quite ugly to me, but that's just a matter of taste Wink

Chief
Legend

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 04:47:05 PM »

I guess it does depend on taste.  i like the macbook pro look but the regular macbook, not so much.

PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 12:30:52 AM »

i have used both pc and mac
and i work with design programs

and mac beats every aspect of every pc (dell xps, alienware and a desktop that i built up that actually most expensive than a macbook pro 4.. it had 4bs of RAM, 4 years ago)
also what you are going to do with it
mac is more expensive but you have no viruses, no freezing, no crashes and the whole thing about feeling weird about using snow leopard will fade away sooner than you think the whole think is very intituive and after a week you will have no problem

so after all
if you want to use a computer to hang out and chill i recommend a pc
if you really wanna work with it a mac

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 04:16:52 AM »

Thanks guys, if i wanted to buy a Mac, what Macbook should i get? the regular white one, mac book pro or the new slim one macbook air?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: