Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 06:35:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  NFL 2010 Season
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2010 Season  (Read 139383 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #680 on: January 22, 2011, 06:45:52 PM »

I feel Faldor's pain... That sucked... no where near as bad as SB 42, but still painful.

None of what I say below should be taken as excuses... this is part of my recovery process.

I actually just watched the first quarter and a half again and am beside myself that 2 stupid mistakes were the difference between ending the first half 3-0 and what should have been 14-0. Brady should have thrown that screen pass into the ground and 9 out of 10 times he would. Then on the second drive, why are you throwing it to Crumpler in the end zone? He hadn't sniffed the ball thoughout 90 percent of the season and you are throwing it to him in the end zone of your biggest game of the season?

4 minutes left in the first half down 7-3 on your own 38 and you fake punt... and drop the snap? If they punt the Jets need to drive the length of the field for their 2nd touchdown, and you get the ball to start the second half.

The only thing I can say postitive is that they went 14-2 in a 'rebuilding year' with the one of the youngest teams in the league that are just going to get better with time and several picks in the first 3 rounds of the upcoming draft.

Overall I have to say that the Jets out played and out coached them. This weekend I say Go Jets and Go Pack.

I'm Baaaack!  I wondered if people would start wondering where I was.  Truth is, my computer pretty much shit the bed last Saturday, so my internet access was extremely limited this week.  So that was the main reason I haven't been on here.  Don't get me wrong, I wasn't in any hurry to come on here or speak to anyone really after the loss on Sunday, so it was sort of convenient. 

It was a tough loss, but the Jets won that game handily.  In fact, they dominated that game.  They had a brilliant game plan and they carried it out to perfection.  I certainly didn't give that team enough credit.  I didn't think they had that in them.  They run their mouths and they back it up.  I'm beginning to think the 45-3 win earlier this year worked against the Pats in the end.  Maybe if they win that game 24-21, the Jets don't come in so pissed off for the playoff game.  We'll see what happens this week, because they don't seem to be as intense heading into this game.  They've already beaten Pittsburgh, they don't have a hatred for them.  We'll see if they play with the same fire and intensity.  I think the Pitt loss to the Jets could work in the Steelers favor.  It's tough to beat a good team twice on their home turf especially.

Anyway, a little more on the Pats before I bury them for this season once and for all.  If you would've told me they would've gone 14-2 this season, I wouldn't have believed it.  I expected 10 or 11 wins, 12 tops.  14 was insane though, especially considering the schedule that they played.  And that's not even taking into account that Maroney and Moss would be traded, Faulk would get hurt in week 2, and Logan Mankins would hold out for half the season.  With those factors I may have thought 8-8 was more likely.  So in essence, this season was a success.  And I do think they're headed in the right direction and they'll be right at it again next season.  However, going 14-2 against arguably the toughest schedule in the NFL, obviously ramps up the expectations.  I let myself get carried away though and I believe the Patriots were better than they actually were.  I mean, the Ravens, Jets, and Steelers are damn good football teams.  And I honestly think those 4 teams will be in the mix for years to come in the AFC.  There could be some epic battles between those 4 teams.  And the way the Patriots played on Sunday, they weren't beating any of those teams.  No disrespect to the Jets.  Again, they pretty much played the perfect game and what they've done in the playoffs the last 2 seasons has to be respected.  On the flipside, the Patriots have now lost their last 3 playoff games.  In those games they've given up 13 sacks and I think I heard they have ZERO sacks themselves in those games.  You're not going to win too many games like that. 

I had forgotten that the Patriots have turned into the Colts.  They're transitioning away from that, but they're still in the process.  Their defense was getting old and they transitioned to a powerhouse offense.  I used to laugh at the Colts in the early 2000's when they'd trounce teams in the regular season and then they'd ultimately fall in the playoffs.  DEFENSE wins.  Some things never change.  They got carried away with the record breaking offense.  Now they have to get back to the basics.  And like I said, the building blocks are there.  They have a stud MLB in Jerod Mayo, a stud rookie CB in Devin McCourty, and a stud DT in Vince Wilfork.  They also have Ty Warren coming back from injury to bolster their D-line next season.  There's talk that they could make a run at Nnamdi Asomugah as well, but we'll see about that.  What they desperately lack and need is a pass rush.  Once again this season they couldn't get to the QB or create pressure with any consistency.

Alright, I've said my peace.  Now I have to root for the Steelers tomorrow.  Never thought I'd see that day.  Then I'll root for whoever wins the NFC.  The Packers look scary good, but I think the Bears have a legit shot against them.  Division rivalry, home field, good defense.  As long as Cutler doesn't screw it up, which is always a strong possibility. 

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tippasaurus
Rocker

You must be the change you wish to see

« Reply #681 on: January 23, 2011, 11:45:03 AM »

I had forgotten that the Patriots have turned into the Colts.  They're transitioning away from that, but they're still in the process.  Their defense was getting old and they transitioned to a powerhouse offense.  I used to laugh at the Colts in the early 2000's when they'd trounce teams in the regular season and then they'd ultimately fall in the playoffs.  DEFENSE wins. 

Well said, and this coming form a native of Indianapolis!  I think Belichick misread his loss to Indy in the 06' playoffs (i.e. the comeback game).  He decided then and there that offense trumps defense and loaded up on offensive weapons (Moss, Stalworth, Welker)...which, like you said, has produced Colts-like results (lots of regular season wins and impressive stats, but zero Super Bowls).  Seems that "good is the enemy of great."  Good seasons (14-2, but bounced from the playoffs) often result in teams "staying the course."  The Steelers and Saints have won the last two Super Bowls because they followed great seasons w/ mediocre seasons (which allowed them to "re-stock" their talent w/o pissing off fans).

There is a slow talent drain when you have consistently have good seasons like the Pats and Colts.  Consistently winning has its merits, but it also has its downsides (the Bills and 49ers of the 90s come to mind).  Sports pundits don't talk about this.  They just say "well you were good, so you should win the Super Bowl."  Teams like the Pats and Colts haven't necessarily 'choked' in the playoffs, as much as they've been beat by teams w/ slightly superior talent.  The talent differential is so minimal by the time you're playing playoff teams that all it comes down to is a play here or a play there and if the other team has even one better better unit (say special teams?) that team is likely to win; homefield advantage or not.  A great QB will get you to the playoffs year in and year out, but you need a complete team to win the Super Bowl.  That's just the way it is.           

"we are here to learn how to choose and to choose how to learn"
-michael
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #682 on: January 23, 2011, 06:09:28 PM »

Jay Cutler better have surgery on live TV.

what an overrated sack of shit he is.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #683 on: January 23, 2011, 07:39:18 PM »

Jay Cutler better have surgery on live TV.

what an overrated sack of shit he is.

He needs a plastic surgeon to wipe that fucking pout off his face.  Seriously, did this guy go to the Jeff George School of Body Language?  Goddamn!
The better team did win that game. 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #684 on: January 23, 2011, 09:32:56 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=imZiV6RJYtU
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #685 on: January 23, 2011, 11:04:37 PM »

I got this in an e-mail the other day.  Thought it was funny, for you Favre fans, or haters for that matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POyFvDgV2cU&feature=player_embedded

As for the games today.  I missed most of the NFC game, but apparently it was the boring part.  It got interesting at the end.  Unfortunately Cutler didn't get knocked out of the game earlier, the Bears may have pulled that one off.  He is just not very good, and I think the rest of the world is starting to realize that.  His "talent" and arm strength fooled people for awhile, but that's long gone now.  The Bears may win that game with Kyle Orton at the helm.

As for the AFC game, thank god the Steelers won.  I really don't think I could've handled the Jets yapping for 2 more weeks.  I honestly thought they were gonna complete the comeback for a bit there though.  They just seemed destined to do so.  I guess it just wasn't meant to be this time around.  Yet another impressive run in the playoffs as the 6 seed for the Jets.  On the other hand though, they're gonna have to pull through one of these years because just making the AFC Championship Game doesn't do you much good.  They're still a young team and there's obviously room for improvement, so we'll see.  But as good a year as they had this year, in essence, it was no better than last year.

Should be a great Super Bowl though.  I'm leaning towards the Pack at the moment.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #686 on: January 24, 2011, 02:39:18 AM »

Jets had their chances in the game. If they get in the endzone on 4th and goal we have a tied game with 3 minutes to go and whoknows what happens. The steelers just made a few more plays when they had to. Apparently Sanchez's helmet communication was cutting in and out throughout the game. That's why he had to run to the sidelines so much and rush some plays. No excuse but it sure didn't help their chances. So many what if's in the game though. What if they scored on that drive? What if the Sanchez fumble went the Jets way? They have some question marks going into next year though. Free agents on both offense and defense. Over all i like where this team is heading. I think they are finally heading in the right direction. They have a good owner and GM a good coach. A young QB getting better by the game. So i can say i am excited about the future of this team for the first time in a long time.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #687 on: January 24, 2011, 11:55:37 AM »

The reports on Cutler remind me of that old anecdote about how the food at a catered event sucks but everyone still complains about the portions being so small.  If he's so bad, why does anyone care that he didn't play injured?  Wouldn't he suck even more?  I think, in most cases, a lot of the media guys are disappointed they didn't get the 6-interception implosion they were hoping for, so instead, they're piling on him for this. 

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #688 on: January 24, 2011, 01:11:06 PM »

Yeah i can agree George

after a night to sleep on it, there would be those, probably me included who would've blasted him for playing injured had they gotten blown out cause of it.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #689 on: January 24, 2011, 06:29:47 PM »

Okay, maybe Timothy saw this as I'm sure you didn't miss a single second of the Jets-Steelers game...did you (or anybody else here) notice in the 1st quarter, the 1st time they panned over to Sanchez on the sideline...I swear to friggin God, the 1st time they show Sanchez, he's standing next to Brunell...they're both in their Jets winter parkas, and Sanchez is wiping a freshly picked booger on Brunell's jacket.  I swear I saw it.  The announcers didn't say anything, but now I'm wondering if any other fans saw the same thing I saw.  Brunell looks down at his parka like, "What the fuck did you just do Sanchez?"
 confused

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #690 on: January 24, 2011, 06:38:14 PM »

btw D, Grade 2 MCL sprain from what I heard. 
Philip Rivers was quoted as saying, "I'd have to be taken off in a cart."
Rodgers takes a vicious shot to the head from Peppers that bloodies his lip and must have made his neurologist shit his pants...and the dude carries on.
Sure, he didn't play very well after the hit (which tells u that's exactly what Chicago should have done earlier in the game Wink ) but the guy stuck it out.

I still do have a problem with how it was handled.  Cutler said, "It wasn't my decision."  Fuck that.  Take some ownership dude!
What a fuckin' Jeff George clone.
Tell the trainer to throw a fucking brace on there.  Show some passion!
Sulking doesn't win games.  Rodgers and Roethlisberger are where they are because they don't pull that shit.

If I were a Bears fan, I'd be a bit pissed right now.  D is right.  Orton gives the Bears the chance to win that game.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #691 on: January 24, 2011, 07:45:13 PM »

Wow i actually missed that haha.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #692 on: January 24, 2011, 07:48:03 PM »

Rodgers takes a vicious shot to the head from Peppers that bloodies his lip and must have made his neurologist shit his pants...and the dude carries on.
Sure, he didn't play very well after the hit (which tells u that's exactly what Chicago should have done earlier in the game Wink ) but the guy stuck it out.

I still do have a problem with how it was handled.  Cutler said, "It wasn't my decision."  Fuck that.  Take some ownership dude!
Sulking doesn't win games.  Rodgers and Roethlisberger are where they are because they don't pull that shit.

If I were a Bears fan, I'd be a bit pissed right now.  D is right.  Orton gives the Bears the chance to win that game.

You can say the same about Sanchez. He took a vicious hit and was in obvious pain with a hurt arm after the fumble. Did he cry like a baby? NO! He nearly led his team all the way back from 24-0.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #693 on: January 24, 2011, 10:21:24 PM »

You can say the same about Sanchez. He took a vicious hit and was in obvious pain with a hurt arm after the fumble. Did he cry like a baby? NO! He nearly led his team all the way back from 24-0.

you bet yer ass!  I have given Sanchez a lot of shit this year, but the guy is coming along.  His receivers did drop some balls that game.  He showed some moxie...I give him credit for gutting through the pain.
somebody has to have the boogie wipe on Brunell.  I swear I wasn't seeing things!

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #694 on: January 24, 2011, 10:24:28 PM »

The reports on Cutler remind me of that old anecdote about how the food at a catered event sucks but everyone still complains about the portions being so small.  If he's so bad, why does anyone care that he didn't play injured?  Wouldn't he suck even more?  I think, in most cases, a lot of the media guys are disappointed they didn't get the 6-interception implosion they were hoping for, so instead, they're piling on him for this. 

Yeah I don't really get all the backlash on the subject.  I mean I see where people are coming from, but honestly the Bears did far better once Cutler left the game.  From my point of view, he should've taken himself out of the game earlier.  I don't understand how people can possibly say that the Bears would've had a better chance WITH Cutler in the game.  Those are obviously people who still have faith in Cutler.  Save yourself the agony and give it up already.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #695 on: January 24, 2011, 10:27:48 PM »

you bet yer ass!  I have given Sanchez a lot of shit this year, but the guy is coming along.  His receivers did drop some balls that game.  He showed some moxie...I give him credit for gutting through the pain.
somebody has to have the boogie wipe on Brunell.  I swear I wasn't seeing things!

Oh yeah, it was on youtube last night.  I didn't catch it in real time, but it certainly did happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C8p8lRDeMk

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #696 on: January 24, 2011, 10:32:59 PM »

Shit am i the only person who missed this?
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #697 on: January 24, 2011, 10:41:12 PM »

Oh yeah, it was on youtube last night.  I didn't catch it in real time, but it certainly did happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C8p8lRDeMk

Thank you Faldor!  For a while I thought I was crazy!  The announcers didn't mention it (can't blame 'em, wtf could they say?). 
Awesome find.  Yay, I'm not nuts!   hihi

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #698 on: January 25, 2011, 10:41:15 AM »

I don't agree with the Jeff George comparisons.  First off, he's just not as good as George was, who threw the ball absolutely textbook perfect.  Cutler is consistently off the mark with his throws and also prone to tossing wobbly ducks on deep throws, even given his arm strength. 

Nor is he like Jeff George in the 'intangible' sense, as George was also a perfect douchebag.  Cutler gets that label from the media because he doesn't play the media's game, which rightly or wrongly, allows the media to take control of the public's perception of him.  That, and the fact that his facial expression is frozen on 'sulk', has solidified him as a malcontent and a jerk.  But there's no real evidence that he is and the picture you get from his teammates is the opposite. 

In terms of the knee injury, nobody knows for sure if he could have really played or not, but there's nothing in his history to suggest that he was dogging it.  He took more of a beating than any QB in the league this year and seemed to hold up OK, while never criticizing any of his linemen or the coaching staff. 

Insider
Rocker

« Reply #699 on: January 25, 2011, 11:15:44 AM »

i don't know you guys but GB is my favorite this year

"... Just shut up and sing ...''
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: