Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 08:40:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  AC/DC-singer tells Bono and and Geldof to donate money themself
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: AC/DC-singer tells Bono and and Geldof to donate money themself  (Read 11726 times)
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« on: February 06, 2010, 11:03:46 PM »

Not gonna translate but here goes:

Are you sick of artists telling you to give money to charity?

Brian says he just wanna go to the show and not be talked down to and told what to do.
He says he don't involve the press when the donates himself.

He says it makes him angry when people tries to use politics or charity to make themself known.

"I do it myself, I don't tell everybody I'm doing it," Johnson said.

"I don't tell everybody they should give money - they can't afford it.

"When I was a working man I didn't want to go to a concert for some bastard to talk down to me that I should be thinking of some kid in Africa.

"I'm sorry mate, do it yourself, spend some of your own money and get it done. It just makes me angry. I become all tyrannical."

http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/kultur/1.6975970

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/acdc-singer-brian-johnson-blasts-bob-geldof-bono/story-e6frewyr-1225826175157

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 10:08:47 AM »

Haha, so true. Brian rocks.

Fuck 'Em All.
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 10:38:17 AM »

Amen!

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 11:17:17 AM »

I remember Axl saying something similar a while back

if u want to do great things, don't get publicity for it back.

like all those bands rushing to get on that Live 8 bill to promote themselves

u really think 99 percent of famous people give a shit?

would they do the same if it were anonymous.... doubtful

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
nekomex
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 11:22:44 PM »

i understand his point of view, but theres a reality that some people can help make a difference by convincing others to help.

maybe some do it for promotion, but i think people like Bono have a genuine desire to help out(and i hate U2)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 06:57:29 AM »

The whole talking down to people.

Couldn't the same be said about anything people on stage tells the audience?

"How are you doing (insert city)?"

What? Like we wouldn't be doing great! What does he think of us....  hihi

As soon as you use your spotlight to bring attention to issues, people like Brian will be there to comment.

Can he honestly say that nothing good has ever come out of musicians bringing attention to issues?

By that I mean anything from punk bands singing about things that are important, instead of singing about rock n' roll trains or how she likes rock n' roll, to musicians bringing attention to an election.

Yes, some people use charity to promote their careers. But don't think everybody is like that.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 10:22:23 AM »

whether your discreet about donating or a total media whore, the charities still gain so it doesn't matter.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 12:06:41 PM »

Can he honestly say that nothing good has ever come out of musicians bringing attention to issues?

It's the whole implicit flock-mentality.

So, ok telling people/sing about care is cool, but specific events? It's similar to lobbying.

kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 01:23:59 PM »

I've never liked Bono and other guys like him. "I'm doing charity whooohooo!".. well good for you! Can't be that hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNPSzLwcghE

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 04:10:57 PM »

you've just done it.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
svdv22
VIP

This is not a piano falling out of the sky

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 06:08:04 PM »

you've just done it.

Exactly what I was thinking lol

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 04:08:19 AM »

As soon as you use your spotlight to bring attention to issues, people like Brian will be there to comment.

Your employer did the same thing back in the day.

/jarmo

Lots of good has come, but the problem is that these "musicians, stars, whatever you want to call them" are hiding under the thin veil of charity to stay relevant and in the mainstream.

By that I mean anything from punk bands singing about things that are important, instead of singing about rock n' roll trains or how she likes rock n' roll, to musicians bringing attention to an election.

/jarmo

Your argument falls apart when you try to prove a point by bringing someone's craft down.

Yes, some people use charity to promote their careers. But don't think everybody is like that.

/jarmo

Not everybody, but 90%.  All these stars that went on the television to further their careers support Haiti can't even locate it on the map.
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 06:19:31 AM »

I get what he's saying but I think there are some who genuinely care or want to use their fame to help a cause. Of course, the only ones who really know how much they care are the stars themselves.... If they really don't feel affected, the best thing would to just keep out of it.

I'm not a real big U2 fan but I've never actually seen Bono as having an "I'm a saviour" kind of attitude. That's what lots of people seem to think of him but has he ever claimed that doing charity stuff makes him better than anyone??

PS. Ain't nothing wrong with singing 'bout rock 'n' roll trains. headbanger

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 06:19:51 AM »

Your argument falls apart when you try to prove a point by bringing someone's craft down.

Not really.

Brian and those who think like him need to realize people are different. Not everybody wants to write songs about nothing and talk about "partying" the whole time.

Sure, for some rock n' roll is an escape from the daily life.

You go to a concert to party! Hell yeah! WOOOOOOOO!

Ironically, some of the same people who go there to party get upset if the party doesn't end on time...  hihi

So, as I was saying. For every band that writes songs about "nothing", there are bands who do bring up real issues.

For every person in the spotlight who likes to talk about how great they are, there are persons who like to talk about things they feel are important. Including charity.

And I don't include media whores in the last group.

I mean people who have a career and don't need to appear on every other charity show just to be seen and stay in the spotlight.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 07:03:17 AM »

Jarmo is a big fan of U2 btw Grin

All these stars that went on the television to further their careers support Haiti can't even locate it on the map.

Some use it as an artistic agenda tho. Wink

To use the oposite example: Some bands in the norwegian black metal genre did "200 000 dead in Haitii...HURRAH!" to further their image in the public, so maybe Bono and Geldof as the artists they are wants this kind of promotion specificly. Just a thought...

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 09:34:47 AM »

And Pearl Jam.

I also like The Clash, Rage Against The Machine and plenty of other bands who write songs that aren't necessarily about partying all night long.

GN'R is one of them.  ok

/jarmo

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 10:11:57 AM »

I'm not a big fan of bands getting involved in politics (too much in the case of U2) and I agree when Brian says they shouldn't preach to their fans. I'm not looking for singers to tell me when to donate to charity and people who do so only because their favourite band told them to are probably missing the point. However celebrities do have their uses, especially when they organize appearances / shows for charity etc. That's where it should end. Any donations they give should be in private, but I'm guessing only a few actually do that.

Fuck 'Em All.
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 12:13:14 PM »

I will just give my example....being Pearl Jam.  I love them, always have, supported them during their war with Ticketmaster like no other!  Now that was a cause.

However 12 years later I'm paying $85 a person to see them , purchased the tickets through ticketmaster, paid outrageous ticketmaster fees, pay $20 to park......if I wanted a T-Shirt I think they were like $35/$40 minimum.  Not that it's the band on this but pizza was $8 a SLICE, water was $4 a bottle, beer was $10......plus the travel to get there.

Now it was a great an Amazing show, but Eddie went on a ten minute rant about much of a monster President Bush is and then how horrific offshore drilling is and how DNA can make convicted felons innocent and who knows what else.  There's ten minutes of that show I feel was wasted over something I already know.  Fuck I know Bush was bad, I know the oil companies were raping the world and I know people can be exonnerated by DNA testing, hey....I didn't spend over $200 of my hard earned money to be bummed out and preached to.  That's two more songs I could have heard.

The Boss is the same....my favorite artist of all time, but during his encore he goes into this rant about a food drive for like 10 minutes then plays an obscure song Hard Times to emphasis it!  C'mon, just play music!

And to add, if the song is about something political then fine, whatever, but let the music do the talking, just don't over indulge it!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 12:53:39 PM by Bill 213 » Logged

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 12:21:46 PM »

^ Exactly. We get enough of politics, war, crime and other nonsense through newspapers, the web and everything else. Please spare the music.

Fuck 'Em All.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 01:18:03 PM »

Not really.

Brian and those who think like him need to realize people are different. Not everybody wants to write songs about nothing and talk about "partying" the whole time.

Sure, for some rock n' roll is an escape from the daily life.

You go to a concert to party! Hell yeah! WOOOOOOOO!

Ironically, some of the same people who go there to party get upset if the party doesn't end on time...  hihi

I didn't want to say this, but U2 does the same thing, only about a different subject matter.

Love this.
Love that.
Woe is me.

Maybe you've noticed?  I have.  I love U2, but they are exactly like AC/DC in that regard.

GN'R is one of them.  ok

/jarmo

GN'R thinks more highly of its fanbase without having members go on CNN to discuss tell people which candidate to vote for, which charity to donate to, and which bracelets to wear.

^ Exactly. We get enough of politics, war, crime and other nonsense through newspapers, the web and everything else. Please spare the music.

The music is what suffers. 

Rage is a one trick pony.  If it wasn't for a political agenda, those guys would be begging for spare change on the corner to buy something off the dollar menu at McDonald's.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: