Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 08:51:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR sued for plagiarism
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR sued for plagiarism  (Read 56734 times)
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #180 on: October 07, 2009, 10:10:56 PM »

the album came out nov 23 2008 and it took them all this time to sue gnr in october in 2009 something smell and the track does not sound alike

its not the whole track, just the intro

i know that but they waiting all this time to sue gnr

maybe they just heard CD for the first time recently
thomas
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #181 on: October 07, 2009, 10:12:47 PM »

the album came out nov 23 2008 and it took them all this time to sue gnr in october in 2009 something smell and the track does not sound alike

that could be true
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #182 on: October 07, 2009, 10:12:52 PM »

maybe this loser knew the new version of RIAD in RB..

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #183 on: October 07, 2009, 10:26:06 PM »

that could be true

According to this article: http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2009/10/05/2009-10-05_welcome_to_the_jungle_of_lawsuits_axl_guns_n_roses_sued_for_copyright_infringeme.html

Domino Recording Co. claims in the suit it advised Geffen on Feb. 26 that the Guns N' Roses song steals from Schnauss' tracks "Wherever You Are" and "A Strangely Isolated Place."

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #184 on: October 07, 2009, 10:38:59 PM »

The suit asks for a halt to all sales and distribution of the platinium-selling "Chinese Democracy," which sold over 3.2 million copies worldwide.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Bye Bye... World Tour...

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #185 on: October 07, 2009, 10:57:44 PM »

I just want to respond back to a few people. Whoever it was -whether it was Pitman, Dizzy or someone from the production crew- it doesn't matter! The point being is that this should have been checked out. Enough time went into this album. If it is proven in court then this is just carelessness. As talented as Axl is, he has to be able to manage Guns business better. It makes me wonder if one person  can do it all.  Maybe it's time to make Tommy a partner in the new Guns or bring back Duff or Izzy as partners.   

This definitely is the fault on either Pitman or Dizzy.

Please provide us with the proof of this claim. Since you state it as a fact, it shouldn't be a problem.... ok

Ignoring the comment from GN'R's management, as pointed out by Spirit...

/jarmo
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #186 on: October 07, 2009, 10:57:47 PM »

I think people are shrugging their shoulders too nonchalantly towards this allegation. I am positive Axl had nothing to do with it, but this kind of accusation can be devastating to a band, especially once u consider the press' hatred for all things Axl anyway.

"Can be devastating". Sure.

But this is a case of sounds in an intro. Not a full song, not a chorus you sing along to, not a guitar melody etc.

Coldplay are still selling out venues as far as I know...

By the way, maybe it's time for you to change your signature now.

/jarmo

Coldplay didn't get any negative venom in the press and aren't polarizing like Axl either. The headlines are VERY misleading when it comes to GNR.

so if my honesty rubs u the wrong way, I'm not apologizing for it. Being accused of plagiarism is the worst thing u can be accused of.

people don't care about the truth, they see the headline and that is what they will believe.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #187 on: October 07, 2009, 11:00:15 PM »

I think people are shrugging their shoulders too nonchalantly towards this allegation. I am positive Axl had nothing to do with it, but this kind of accusation can be devastating to a band, especially once u consider the press' hatred for all things Axl anyway.

But this is a case of sounds in an intro. Not a full song, not a chorus you sing along to, not a guitar melody etc.

/jarmo

Coldplay didn't get any negative venom in the press and aren't polarizing like Axl either. The headlines are VERY misleading when it comes to GNR.

so if my honesty rubs u the wrong way, I'm not apologizing for it. Being accused of plagiarism is the worst thing u can be accused of.

people don't care about the truth, they see the headline and that is what they will believe.

I agree with you. Plagiarism isn't the worst thing you can be accused it. But it certainly would help if GNR had a high output of material and performances to offset something like this.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #188 on: October 07, 2009, 11:17:39 PM »

The suit asks for a halt to all sales and distribution of the platinium-selling "Chinese Democracy," which sold over 3.2 million copies worldwide.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Well that stinks. Tongue  And not that I think it will EVER happen...I might pick-up another copy. Smiley

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #189 on: October 07, 2009, 11:26:15 PM »

IRVIN mentioned counterclaims ... if this happens to higher GNR is going to go against these people yet

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #190 on: October 08, 2009, 12:16:51 AM »

/jarmo

I agree with you. Plagiarism isn't the worst thing you can be accused it. But it certainly would help if GNR had a high output of material and performances to offset something like this.
Is this story getting huge exposure though?  I mean, is anyone talking about this outside of the hardcore fanbase?  I realize Rolling Stone, Billboard, and other media outlets have written about it, but I just don't think it's getting or will get anywhere near the exposure that Coldplay got.  For a multitude of reasons.  For this, I think people are overreacting a trite.  We all make any bit of GNR news out to be bigger than it is.  Is the rest of the music world even taking notice of this?  Not that I can tell, we're the only ones talking about it.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #191 on: October 08, 2009, 12:31:01 AM »

Guns N' Roses Sued for Plagiarism

It looks like Axl Rose and Coldplay's Chris Martin have something in common. Guns N' Roses are being sued for song theft by two independent record labels that represent German electronic artist Ulrich Schnauss. UK label Independiente and the US arm of Domino Recording Company -- the companies that hold the licensing rights to Schnauss' songs -- are seeking $1 million, according to details of the suit released Monday.

Schnauss' labels allege that portions of his tracks 'Wherever You Are' and 'A Strangely Isolated Place' were sampled without permission and used on the track 'Riad N' the Bedouins,' one of the songs on the 2008 release 'Chinese Democracy,' the Axl Rose-fronted outfit's first album of new original material in 17 years. Aside from Rose, the suit names guitarist Brian Carroll (aka Buckethead), bassist Tommy Stinson and guitarist Robin Finck, as well as GNR's record company, Interscope-Geffen.

While there has yet to be a response from Axl's camp on the suit, the band is reportedly gearing up for a busy December, with tour dates slated for enormous venues in Asian locales like Taipei, Seoul, Osaka and Tokyo. A formal confirmation of these dates is expected shortly.

http://www.spinner.com/2009/10/06/guns-n-roses-sued-for-plagiarism/

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #192 on: October 08, 2009, 12:35:48 AM »

/jarmo

Is this story getting huge exposure though?  I mean, is anyone talking about this outside of the hardcore fanbase?  I realize Rolling Stone, Billboard, and other media outlets have written about it, but I just don't think it's getting or will get anywhere near the exposure that Coldplay got.  For a multitude of reasons.  For this, I think people are overreacting a trite.  We all make any bit of GNR news out to be bigger than it is.  Is the rest of the music world even taking notice of this?  Not that I can tell, we're the only ones talking about it.

Don't know dude, I don't have a direct line of communication to the billions of people in the world.

hopefully it hasn't done too much damage but there really is no way to know the full scope. I just think the headlines are very irresponsible

Coldplay stole an entire song and melodies and didn't get this misleading of headlines.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #193 on: October 08, 2009, 12:44:55 AM »

Press always hated GNR... 80's, 90's, 2000, etc.

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #194 on: October 08, 2009, 12:53:34 AM »

/jarmo

Don't know dude, I don't have a direct line of communication to the billions of people in the world.

hopefully it hasn't done too much damage but there really is no way to know the full scope. I just think the headlines are very irresponsible

Coldplay stole an entire song and melodies and didn't get this misleading of headlines.
Not sure how to quantify the hot topics but there's no sign of anything GNR related on the top 40 google trends.  And I haven't heard them mention this on The Howard Stern Show yet.  They LOVE discussing these music plagiarism deals.  They were all over the Coldplay/Satriani thing,  Fergilicious/Supersonic.  And a few weeks back they played a Black Eyed Peas song that sounded like another lesser known song.  When they take notice of this, THEN I'll admit that it's getting mainstream attention.  But it's just not there yet, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 12:55:12 AM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #195 on: October 08, 2009, 01:02:07 AM »

Do you know why this hasn't and won't get as much pub as the Coldplay-Satriani situation?  Because that was an issue of theft of a melody.  This is an issue of unauthorized sampling of ambient noise.  Not a melody or lyrics or a distinct guitar riff, but AMBIENT NOISE.  There is a big difference  Especially considering the noise has zero to do with the actual song itself.

Ali
downzy56
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #196 on: October 08, 2009, 03:33:57 AM »

Do you know why this hasn't and won't get as much pub as the Coldplay-Satriani situation?  Because that was an issue of theft of a melody.  This is an issue of unauthorized sampling of ambient noise.  Not a melody or lyrics or a distinct guitar riff, but AMBIENT NOISE.  There is a big difference  Especially considering the noise has zero to do with the actual song itself.

Ali

It could also be argued the other way around, in that this was a direct lift of a song, or sound, or whatever.  The Coldplay/Satriani debate is one where melody lines are often devised through chord progressions, with some lending to its creation easier than others.  Such was the case with the Rolling Stones single "Anybody Seen My Baby," which was pointed out to Jagger that it was very similar to K.D Lang's "Constant Craving."  Having noted the similarities Rolling Stone credited Lang with a songwriting credit.  My bet is this is what happened with Coldplay/Satriani, as there was another dude from another band who claimed to have written something very similar to "Vida La Vida."

In this sense, a direct lift of a portion of a song is, in my opinion, worse than involuntary reproduction. 

Mind you, I'm not really sure what the difference between this and all the samples you hear in hip-hop and dance music.  Though I suspect those artists require permission from the original creator/writer.

And who ever said being found guilty of plagiarism is the worst fate for an artist is correct.  In the world of art, there is no greater crime.

All this being said, it's just a stupid little intro and not integral to the song's essence.  It's not like without it the song loses its identity.  Sounds like a cash grab to me; I suspect these German dudes being paid off, but for far less than the $1mil they're looking for.

Cheers,

Andrew

Detroit '02
Toronto '02
London, ON '02
Boston '02
NYC '02
Philadelphia '02
NYC '06
Paris, FR '06
Toronto '06
Ottawa '06
Quebec City '06
Hamilton '10
London '10
Toronto '10
Hamilton '11
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #197 on: October 08, 2009, 04:02:32 AM »

possible result for upcoming albums: reducing the synthesizer components!

Axl felt it was right to put all those stuff on the songs, and at points it fits well, but if exspecially the intros on riad and twat have been that needed at all? highly doubt that! and if "ambient noise"-samples are not even created by band members but 2nd hand persons (i'd analyze Arzoff said "production team" as not coming from the band members themselves) then it can get out of control little faster - as it seems to be proven in this case.

Re-Union time, baby!!
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #198 on: October 08, 2009, 04:22:03 AM »

As talented as Axl is, he has to be able to manage Guns business better. It makes me wonder if one person  can do it all.  Maybe it's time to make Tommy a partner in the new Guns or bring back Duff or Izzy as partners.   

I'm sure he's thrilled to have your advice on how to conduct his business affairs.  ok
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #199 on: October 08, 2009, 07:21:53 AM »

I cant believe the amount of bullshit I read here. When something positive comes up, people dont believe. When negative shit pops out, its like "thats it, the band is finished".

For me, there are some "fans" making it even worse than the media.

possible result for upcoming albums: reducing the synthesizer components!

Axl felt it was right to put all those stuff on the songs, and at points it fits well, but if exspecially the intros on riad and twat have been that needed at all? highly doubt that! and if "ambient noise"-samples are not even created by band members but 2nd hand persons (i'd analyze Arzoff said "production team" as not coming from the band members themselves) then it can get out of control little faster - as it seems to be proven in this case.

I think those intros are great. As a big Queen fan, Im used to it.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: