Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 09:28:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy Reviews: 9 months later
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy Reviews: 9 months later  (Read 43658 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2009, 10:05:49 AM »

Love it.  The disc is in, and has stayed in my computer since November, '08.  The album is framed and will stay hanging on my wall. 

I'm confused by the IRS-hate.  In my eyes it is fucking brilliant. 

Songs I can't stop listening to (in no particular order, depending on my mood):  Better, There Was a Time, Scraped, Sorry, IRS, Madagascar, This I Love, and Prostitute.

I liked IRS pretty much from the start so I'm right there with you.  It kicks ass live too.  I don't get the dislike for it either, sounds pretty rocking to me.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2009, 10:17:56 AM »

I hold Axl to a very high standard, so his horrible are still good, but compared to the rest of the album, I think that song has by far the worst lyrics:

He rhymes all with all like 4 times in a row........ and some of them just don't make a lot of sense to me..... I can't really relate to them until the outro.

The part about the devil hates a loser... I have no idea what that means.

I still love the song hence the 9/10 but if u were to open that song and read the lyrics, they don't do a lot for me.

Catcher's lyrics are absolutely brilliant, SOD, Shackler's, Scraped is very great lyrically

I don't like IRS, I mean the last half when Axl gets going is good, but musically that song just does nothing for me. A couple cool solos, but one thing that i've talked about with CD is the lack of riffs really.

There aren't any bonecrushing, headbanging guitar riffs at all on this album. CD is close but its more grungy than GNR and maybe they intentionally went for that, I don't know.

Better is a song I can't explain. Parts of it are really awesome, but I just immediately hit the next button when it comes on........I don't like how it turned out on the album.... I thought an earlier version was better when Bucket's guitar during the chorus was more syncopated and during the most rocking riff on the album, u got Pittman's fart noises that just kill the rock in it.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2009, 10:38:25 AM »

All in all, I like the album.  But...I expected more.  I guess this stems from my thinking of "since Axl destoyed what I loved, this is going to be revolutionary."  I feel that instead of being the leader of the pack and setting a standard for everyone else to follow, the album is too influenced by grunge, NIN, White Zombie, and Pop era U2.  Another negative is, as Jimmy Fallon said, it a new album of old songs.  I've heard SOD and CD since 01-01-01.

Faves:  Better, TWAT, CITR, Shackler's, Sorry, and IRS.

Next Best:  CD, SOD, Prositute, Rhiad, Scraped, If the World

so-so:  Madagascar

Should have been left off:  TIL (it's just not a good song and I have tried to like it.  GnR meets Broadway show tune)
The Glow Inc.
Headliner

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2009, 10:53:21 AM »

TIL is my favourite off the album  Cry
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2009, 11:18:21 AM »

There aren't any bonecrushing, headbanging guitar riffs at all on this album. CD is close but its more grungy than GNR and maybe they intentionally went for that, I don't know.

The amount of guitars on that album makes it one of the most guitar oriented albums that has been released in quite some time.

And yet you can't find any "headbanging guitar riffs" on it?

Maybe you need to really listen....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2009, 02:13:45 PM »

i don't think i like headbanging or bonecrushing very much.  Tongue

The part about the devil hates a loser... I have no idea what that means.

see the end of dn for example. you'll get the idea.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2009, 03:24:07 PM »

I mean like WTTJ,Brownstone,My Michelle, Locomotive, Nightrain type riffs.

A lot of CD is piano oriented but not real riffy

Riad has a pretty cool Riff but its still different

I would call CD more power chord progression oriented but not really RIFFS

take like Death Magnetic for example. those are the types of riffs I am talking about.

CD really doesn't have any of those and it could be intentional and that is fine.

Also, take my review with a bit of salt cause I've already conceded the leaks ruined a lot of it for me.

If I had to choose one song to listen to forever I'd still take madagascar. That is a top 5 GNR song of all time for me.

Anywaythewindblows
Opening Act

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2009, 03:41:53 PM »

take like Death Magnetic for example. those are the types of riffs I am talking about.

Well, that is obviously the classic conception of how a rock album should be. For me, Chinese Democracy goes beyond that, I don't need any Locomotive type of song when I can get a Prostitute, a Sorry, a IRS, etc. Just because CD is richer and deeper doesn't mean it rocks less.

All the guitarwork in this album is brilliant, you have to listen to it without comparing the music to previous albums or styles because it'll hardly fit, it's completely new and advanced.

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2009, 03:55:24 PM »

CD really doesn't have any of those and it could be intentional and that is fine.

I agree with ya D.  There are a ton of guitars on this album, but I don't really consider it a "guitar driven" album.  I don't think there is a real dominant instrument on this album.  Everything seems to be distributed evenly, and it was mastered great.  A very different type of rock record.  It really is a sum of all its parts, one particular player doesn't carry the album.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2009, 04:54:12 PM »

I agree with ya D.  There are a ton of guitars on this album, but I don't really consider it a "guitar driven" album.  I don't think there is a real dominant instrument on this album.  Everything seems to be distributed evenly, and it was mastered great.  A very different type of rock record.  It really is a sum of all its parts, one particular player doesn't carry the album.

...hence the name "Chinese Democracy!"   Wink

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2009, 05:05:49 PM »

I don't mean that as a slight or saying it sucks. Just my observation is it is different and not really a guitar album but that is something I was hoping for on the album.

I don't think the guitar is advanced on the album, I think that is taking it kind of far. There aren't any "new" guitar techniques on it.

My only big problem with CD is Tommy's bass is nowhere to be found and if u have played Rockband 2, U know that Tommy has some AMAZING bass on this album but there are so many guitars etc, Tommy gets forgotten in the mix.

I would've loved to have heard Better as strictly a rock song and without all the keyboards etc.

All that said, I have no idea why Shackler's wasn't a single. I think they listened to the wrong people on that front. Shackler's is heavy,it rocks, great lyrics, great melodies, its catchy as fuck. Def the best rocker on the album IMO.

I believe Shackler's followed by Prostitute would've done better than CD/Better

Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2009, 06:13:15 PM »

Well, that is obviously the classic conception of how a rock album should be. For me, Chinese Democracy goes beyond that, I don't need any Locomotive type of song when I can get a Prostitute, a Sorry, a IRS, etc. Just because CD is richer and deeper doesn't mean it rocks less.

All the guitarwork in this album is brilliant, you have to listen to it without comparing the music to previous albums or styles because it'll hardly fit, it's completely new and advanced.

I agree. The album is actually so guitar driven that there are lots of different layers that add to the songs and require you to really listen to the album to appreciate them.   It doesn't rely on basic blues scales, and riffs.   I like Slash, but this album is more than anything he could have done, just compare the guitar on this album to the guitar on Libertad  hihi  I also think that for Axl basically carrying this whole project he did a pretty great job.  I have had my ups and downs about it, but I think it is a good to very good record, overall. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 06:15:00 PM by Trist805 » Logged
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2009, 07:03:23 PM »

the only songs I would nitpick with would be:

Scraped: I wish they didnt cluster the song with Axls background vocals when he sings the lyrics that are in parentheses in the booklet. Kind of clogs the song. If you listen to the rockband stripped version Scraped has some bad ass bass and guitars and some weird but cool sounds that you cant completely hear on the album version.

I would also use a few less "ayo ayo's" throughout the song. And when they come into the first verse I would make the drum part much louder and angrier...that first pop right before "Sometimes I feel like...."

TWAT: The only thing I would probably change is that I would emphasize the intro of Broken Glass and Ciggs line. Make it more louder and echoey kind of like the demo...maybe sounding like if Axl is in some bathroom or tiled room. I would also prob change the part when Axl sings "it was a long time for you...for me etc"...make it more like how he sings it live...much harder/rougher/raspier.

As for the song in general, musically its one of GNRs best ever. Lyrically Im 50/50 on it. theres some cool lines in there but Idk, just seems like its missing something for such an amazing piece of music.

As for the controversial CITR:
I love the song but if I had to choose I would have to roll with the demo. Its just much more peaceful and fits the lyircs and song better. I cant explain the final version. It just sounds crowded and maybe a lil too fast paced??I enjoy both solos so Im not one that discredits the song because its not May. I actually dig Bfoots solo.

But the temp.mix, and overall feel of the song just seems a tad off...But its still an amazing song.

As for the others they are all great in their own way. I wouldnt change anything about the rest.

Its just an amazing album. The thought and hard work that was put into it translates into the overall feel of the album. While I can see how some may say the concept of the lyrics for the majoirty of the songs are a little repetitive but they should also take into account that this was all bottled up for so long and this is how Axl felt while making these songs.

I asked my cousin who is a casual fan and doesnt have a dog in the fight what he thinks of CD compared to the old stuff.. and he always tells me that if your looking for an album then CD is better than the Illusions and right up there with AFD but falls a little short if your looking for the hit singles like those albums had.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 07:05:34 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2009, 09:29:37 PM »

I guess on Catcher, Axl's vocals seem a little buried or something...

which is unfortunate cause its probably the best story song lyrically he has ever written.

russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2009, 10:23:46 PM »

I guess on Catcher, Axl's vocals seem a little buried or something...

which is unfortunate cause its probably the best story song lyrically he has ever written.

Good lord!! Really?? I guess I need to check into this song again. It's one of my least favorite GN'R tunes ever. But that's some pretty damn high praise. I'll look into it again.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Budweiser Froggs
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2009, 10:32:26 PM »

Loved the album when it first came out, now I consider most of it pretty boring.

Songs I still like:  If the world, this i love, prostitute, shackler's revenge
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2009, 10:38:59 PM »

Also, take my review with a bit of salt cause I've already conceded the leaks ruined a lot of it for me.

If I had to choose one song to listen to forever I'd still take madagascar. That is a top 5 GNR song of all time for me.

D, you are absolutely right.  There pretty much are no riffs.  A power chord progression isn't a real riff in my eyes, at least these are not.  Now "Smoke on the Water", now that is a riff with 4th Double Stop chords that works.  You don't have to have a kick ass riff for a good tune, but it sure does help.  What would Paradise City be with out the riffs there?  Jarmo, there are guitars on the album, but this isn't a "guitar album" per say.  The guitars never truly take center stage except during a solo or something.  There are some great solos on CD, but the riffs leave a lot to be desired......  That could be why there are so many damn things going on.. To fill the voids from the lack of riffs.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2009, 12:46:18 AM »

D, you are absolutely right.  There pretty much are no riffs.  A power chord progression isn't a real riff in my eyes, at least these are not.  Now "Smoke on the Water", now that is a riff with 4th Double Stop chords that works.  You don't have to have a kick ass riff for a good tune, but it sure does help.  What would Paradise City be with out the riffs there?  Jarmo, there are guitars on the album, but this isn't a "guitar album" per say.  The guitars never truly take center stage except during a solo or something.  There are some great solos on CD, but the riffs leave a lot to be desired......  That could be why there are so many damn things going on.. To fill the voids from the lack of riffs.

That's quite a narrow-minded conception you and D have.  There is no "void" from the lack of riffs because the songs weren't constructed around riffs.  That's not what a lot of these songs are about, or driven by.  There melody-driven songs filled with complex and layered arrangements.  This is not an old-school GN'R record and was never meant to be.

Ali
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2009, 12:51:10 AM »

The amount of guitars on that album makes it one of the most guitar oriented albums that has been released in quite some time.

And yet you can't find any "headbanging guitar riffs" on it?

Maybe you need to really listen....

/jarmo

I would say what puzzles me is how someone who loves "Scraped" can say there are NO headbanging guitar riffs.  Granted this isn't on the whole a riff-driven record, but I would say that song is an exception.  That is the heaviest GN'R song ever.

Ali

P.S.  That Iommi-esque guitar riff during the chorus of "Sorry" also is heavy as hell in an old-school-Sabbath way.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2009, 01:27:55 AM »

I like to think of myself as one of the few authorities on grunge on this board, and I have never gotten a grungy feel on Chinese Democracy.

Some idiot reviewed the song CD after they played it at RIR 3 and slapped the grunge label on it because of Robin's tone. 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: