Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 02:26:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228102 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy Reviews: 9 months later
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy Reviews: 9 months later  (Read 43729 times)
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #120 on: September 02, 2009, 01:58:35 PM »

IMO, Better and Riad riffs are both stand out riffs.

For those that don't know what riffs are, you can hear them in the begining of the following songs.

Smoke on the Water
Back in Black
Highway to Hell
Lagrange
Sweet Emotion
Satisfaction
Voodoo Child
Rock Bottom

No songs on CD have riffs that stand out like the above tunes.  That isn't a "bad" thing.  Its a fact.  D is correct, and he also said he loves the album.  Get off his back.  You don't have to have a great riff for a song, but, it sure does help.
Smoke on the water and Satisfaction are a chord progression. It can't be a riff!!!!!!!!! Tongue

Shall we put Back in Black in that range too? Its a chord progression with just a lick in the middle.

Also, reminds me of All Along The Watchtower accousti intro. That can't be a riff either.

And so on...

You are wrong.  Smoke on Water Riff, the whole song is built around that riff.  Take the riff away, you have no song.  Back in Black, are you serious?  THAT IS ONE OF THE MOST OBVIOUS RIFFS EVER.  Better's intro 'riff' or intro is so weak and is not necessary to the song.  Satisfaction is a simple riff, yes, but one of the most famous ones ever... Again, song is built around it.

The intro to Better runs quite a bit through the song, and at least all of the verses. And no, the riff from Smoke On The Water doesn't run through the entirety of the song. If it did, the song would be even more boring than it already is.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #121 on: September 02, 2009, 04:03:07 PM »

Was GNR a heavy metal band?  Huh

the bit in the middle of better is the most metal moments of GNR in my book. still i refuse to head bang. it makes me dance tho.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #122 on: September 02, 2009, 06:46:34 PM »

For those that don't know what riffs are, you can hear them in the begining of the following songs.

Smoke on the Water
Back in Black
Highway to Hell
Lagrange
Sweet Emotion
Satisfaction
Voodoo Child
Rock Bottom

No songs on CD have riffs that stand out like the above tunes.  That isn't a "bad" thing.  Its a fact.  D is correct, and he also said he loves the album.  Get off his back.  You don't have to have a great riff for a song, but, it sure does help.
Smoke on the water and Satisfaction are a chord progression. It can't be a riff!!!!!!!!! Tongue

Shall we put Back in Black in that range too? Its a chord progression with just a lick in the middle.

Also, reminds me of All Along The Watchtower accousti intro. That can't be a riff either.

And so on...

You are wrong.  Smoke on Water Riff, the whole song is built around that riff.  Take the riff away, you have no song.  Back in Black, are you serious?  THAT IS ONE OF THE MOST OBVIOUS RIFFS EVER.  Better's intro 'riff' or intro is so weak and is not necessary to the song.  Satisfaction is a simple riff, yes, but one of the most famous ones ever... Again, song is built around it.
1st, are they riff now? Even if they are chords progression?

2nd, what is wrong anyways? All I said about those songs are how they all have chord progression riffs (which, before, you guys were saying it couldn't be considered as a riff).

Also, Voodoo Child main structure has ZERO connection with the intro riff.  Same with Smoke on the Water.

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #123 on: September 02, 2009, 07:29:48 PM »

Smoke on the Water
Back in Black
Highway to Hell
Lagrange
Sweet Emotion
Satisfaction
Voodoo Child
Rock Bottom

And so on...

1st, are they riff now? Even if they are chords progression?

2nd, what is wrong anyways? All I said about those songs are how they all have chord progression riffs (which, before, you guys were saying it couldn't be considered as a riff).

Also, Voodoo Child main structure has ZERO connection with the intro riff.  Same with Smoke on the Water.

Its pointless.  I guess Patience has some killer riff too... Man, CGAD, that is one heavy riff.......  You know what the hell a riff is and what is not a riff.  And, I don't really consider the Sweet Child intro to be a riff.  Not sure why, just seems like a melody line to me.  I love it, but its not what I think of when I think of a riff.  Still of the Night by Whitesnake?  That is a riff.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #124 on: September 03, 2009, 02:40:12 AM »

You know what the hell a riff is and what is not a riff

I think some people know but for whatever reason they just can't admit that there are not many riffs on CD.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
seely
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #125 on: September 03, 2009, 07:13:19 AM »

Smoke on the Water
Back in Black
Highway to Hell
Lagrange
Sweet Emotion
Satisfaction
Voodoo Child
Rock Bottom

And so on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riff

A chord progression can be or can be part of, a riff  Tongue

(\__/)
(O.o )
( > < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this attached message into your signature to help him on his quest for world domination.

----------------------------------------------------
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #126 on: September 03, 2009, 07:23:11 AM »

This is the most ridiculous argument ever.  Enough already!  The album's great, riffs or not.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #127 on: September 03, 2009, 07:45:36 AM »

Its pointless.  I guess Patience has some killer riff too... Man, CGAD, that is one heavy riff.......  You know what the hell a riff is and what is not a riff.  And, I don't really consider the Sweet Child intro to be a riff.  Not sure why, just seems like a melody line to me.  I love it, but its not what I think of when I think of a riff.  Still of the Night by Whitesnake?  That is a riff.
WTF? Did I say every chord progression is a riff?

Also, if you don't even consider SCOM intro a riff, I think we're done here. You only consider a riff when is a hard rock type of lick as a riff/intro.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riff

A chord progression can be or can be part of, a riff  Tongue
Of course it can. That's what I've been saying. Even Smells Like Teen Spirit intro (clearly a chord progression) is a riff in itself (as the other songs I mentioned). But hey, tell that to Smoking Guns and D.

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #128 on: September 03, 2009, 08:03:25 AM »

Here's the problem I have with "Sweet Child o' Mine."  That is not a riff.  That is an intro, a single-note run, an arpeggiated melody.  It is not a riff.

People forget what a RIFF is.  A riff is a guitar part that underpins and holds together a song.  You could conceivably play "Sweet Child" without that intro part and it'd still be a song.

"Smoke on the Water" is a riff.  "Man on the Silver Mountain" is a riff.  Now, if you want a Guns n' Roses riff, "Welcome to the Jungle" has one.

I guess intros should just be intros, like Thunderstuck by AC/DC or something.  But clearly a song like Lagrange is built around the riff.  AC/DC  maybe be the best example of pure riff rock.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #129 on: September 03, 2009, 08:30:20 AM »

I feel some cool know it all guitar players have drifted away from the topic, start a new thread so you won't look like such douches I know most of you aren't
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #130 on: September 03, 2009, 11:19:29 AM »

This is the most ridiculous argument ever.  Enough already!  The album's great, riffs or not.

Yep. Jeez. Talk about "looking for something to bitch about"!

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #131 on: September 03, 2009, 01:12:49 PM »

ironically the know it all riff or not argument points out another significant aspect of the album to us. 

rockn roll used to be against rigid customary practices and cd's just free from them.
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #132 on: September 03, 2009, 04:27:13 PM »

ironically the know it all riff or not argument points out another significant aspect of the album to us. 

rockn roll used to be against rigid customary practices and cd's just free from them.
So dam true look at what the music biz has become they dont care about Rock N' Roll any more in the US if its not Rap or Pop then your fucked

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #133 on: September 03, 2009, 05:35:01 PM »

I feel some cool know it all guitar players have drifted away from the topic, start a new thread so you won't look like such douches I know most of you aren't
Sorry about that. I just think people are making up excuses to diss or dislike something about Chinese Democracy. And this "riff" discussion is nothing more than that - it's not about what the album is, but what it isn't for some people.

Here's the problem I have with "Sweet Child o' Mine."  That is not a riff.  That is an intro, a single-note run, an arpeggiated melody.  It is not a riff.

People forget what a RIFF is.  A riff is a guitar part that underpins and holds together a song.  You could conceivably play "Sweet Child" without that intro part and it'd still be a song.

"Smoke on the Water" is a riff.  "Man on the Silver Mountain" is a riff.  Now, if you want a Guns n' Roses riff, "Welcome to the Jungle" has one.

I guess intros should just be intros, like Thunderstuck by AC/DC or something.  But clearly a song like Lagrange is built around the riff.  AC/DC  maybe be the best example of pure riff rock.

Ok, so you built a new concept of what a riff is. Good for you, I can't beat that. And what happened to Voodoo Child (the song), which you said before how it was a riff and now, by your new concept, it isn't?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 05:37:30 PM by Voodoochild » Logged

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #134 on: September 03, 2009, 05:53:32 PM »

The "worst" thing they can say about the album is that it lacks "riffs" and then it's pointed out to them how flawed their way of thinking is....

It just boils down to the fact that some people were hoping for Appetite For Destruction type of songs and they got something else.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #135 on: September 03, 2009, 07:58:38 PM »

Appetite For Destruction _> 1987

Chinese Democracy _____> 2008

21-Century... Good Disc, Excelente performance vocal, instrumental, drums, , Excelent Riffs..

You like the musical evolution?

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #136 on: September 03, 2009, 08:12:05 PM »

Let's not take what I said out of context

Never did I say this wasn't a great album.

I simply pointed out, if I could have one thing, I'd have one throw back Riff heavy rocker.

That doesn't undermine the entire album and we never said it did. When giving a review, I tell what I love about it but reviews are objective also and I just said that I would have liked to have had maybe one or two really riff rocky bad ass rock songs.

Voodoo you are wrong about IRS. The guitar lead Robin plays is not a riff. That is a guitar fill or melody

Chord progressions and riffs aren't what I was talking about.

I was meaning to say, Axl sings over Chord Progressions but they aren't really riffs

For Example, CD's Chord Progression is a riff cause it is the featured part of the song.

What Axl sings over on IRS is just a chord Progression but it isn't a riff cause it isn't ever used as the main part of the song A La a Walk This Way or Stairway, Rock N Roll, paranoid, Iron Man, Black in Black etc

Same with Scraped, what is the main riff? U can't sing it cause it is just a chord Progression Axl sings over.

Just saying, no riff from CD will ever make any greatest riffs of all time list.

That isn't taking away from the album, cause I don't think Axl was trying to make that kind of album so its ok. I think he even said in one interview how he didn't know how to make that kind of album or something right?

Once again, a few of us are saying how it would've been cool, if maybe a song or two would've had some really hard  amazing riff.

The best riff on the album "Better" breakdown part is half way through the song.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #137 on: September 03, 2009, 09:41:43 PM »

Yes, sorry if I was taken out of context as well.  Like D, I like the album, but was noting a song or two with some nasty, ballsy guitar riffage would have been nice.  My favorite tune, "If the World", is badass and it does't need a killer riff.  I think we can all agree on that.   ok
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #138 on: September 03, 2009, 11:13:07 PM »

The songs in their current forms work fine. Madagascar is my favorite song and TBH, that song could have no guitar and it would still be awesome.... well leave in the awesome guitar licks but u get the idea.

This I Love with just piano,orchestra and Axl IMO would be even more powerful because having a guy behind a piano and singing his guts out like Axl doesn't require anything else.

My point is, it isn't what I'd consider a guitar driven album. The solos are great for the most part but my definition of a guitar driven album is Death Magnetic or something like that.

once again, that takes nothing away from the album quality whatsoever.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #139 on: September 03, 2009, 11:46:09 PM »

I haven't listened to it in a few months -- was kind of against it since nothing was really happening. Threw it in today, turned the BOSE on and I was in heaven all over again. My favorite still is Scraped, followed by Sorry then IRS. Was good to bring back great memories of walking into a Best Buy and actually seeing some sort of GNR promotional items. Good times...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: