Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 20, 2024, 08:14:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228089 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Robin vs. Slash, which one do you prefer?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin vs. Slash, which one do you prefer?  (Read 61556 times)
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2009, 08:52:43 PM »

Jim Bob, as a GN'R fan what do you think of Slash's playing. Considering you are a fan and he plays lead guitar on 4 out of 5 albums of original material?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2009, 09:45:38 PM »

Jim Bob, as a GN'R fan what do you think of Slash's playing. Considering you are a fan and he plays lead guitar on 4 out of 5 albums of original material?

i'm tired of it
WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #122 on: May 02, 2009, 11:21:51 PM »

Yeah, 10 years in GNR history is nothing. All his solos in the album are nothing. All his live gigs are nothing.

Actually, having been in GnR for 10 years is a bit of a discredit to him in my oppinion. It shows an amazing lack of productivity.
I know that isn't Robin's fault, and it's a massive shame that after ten years in the band all he has to show for it is one album, and only performing a handful of his own songs live in that time.
Slash on the other hand, in 11 years with the band released four legendary albums and a covers album, rose with the band to international fame and became an icon of rock.

I'm pro-Slash in this argument , but COME ON! That is just an unfair comparison , it is not on Robin's shoulders when albums would be released, he joined what was already one of the most known bands on earth , and he had to fill the shoes of not only a good guitarist but someone who had made a specific image for himself. Saying that since Robin didn't release many albums , didn't take the band to fame and isn't an icon that makes him worse than Slash is a total unfair comparison.
AphroditeCity
Opening Act

« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2009, 06:14:24 AM »

well i Haven't seen robin onstage n' from what i hear he's great but there's no one like Slash!See I'm an Axl Rose Fan so i should be against Slash but i gotta say he's the best lead guitarist i 've ever heard n' seen!He's my guitar player idol n' when he plays the guitar he's awesome he can make miracles n' he plays very fast.Don't know what he does onstage now but when he was with GN'R he didn't stay at the same place at all.If you seen Use Your Illusion II World Tour '92 In Tokyo  at the end of the show stepped offstage n' run towards the fans while playing Paradise City.Check what you gonna say before you say it!
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2009, 11:36:28 AM »

i'm tired of it

Fair enough.I was just curious! peace
WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #125 on: May 03, 2009, 09:42:59 PM »

well i Haven't seen robin onstage n' from what i hear he's great but there's no one like Slash!See I'm an Axl Rose Fan so i should be against Slash but i gotta say he's the best lead guitarist i 've ever heard n' seen!He's my guitar player idol n' when he plays the guitar he's awesome he can make miracles n' he plays very fast.Don't know what he does onstage now but when he was with GN'R he didn't stay at the same place at all.If you seen Use Your Illusion II World Tour '92 In Tokyo  at the end of the show stepped offstage n' run towards the fans while playing Paradise City.Check what you gonna say before you say it!

I don't want to point you out or anything but that is exactly what is wrong with a lot of people. Being an Axl fan doesn't dictate if you should be "against" Slash and vice-versa...
monkeychow
VIP

How's that for provocation?

« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2009, 01:02:30 AM »

Being an Axl fan doesn't dictate if you should be "against" Slash and vice-versa...

Exactly. Also frustrates me when some fans of slash then develop a problem with Axl.

Axl apparently has a problem with Slash, and that's his business, it's an issue best left between them and kept out of the fan base.

It's natural for some people to prefer Slash or Robin, each to their own, but I don't think it's positive for people to feel a need to takes 'sides' based on the feelings of other people.
WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2009, 01:23:12 AM »

Being an Axl fan doesn't dictate if you should be "against" Slash and vice-versa...

Exactly. Also frustrates me when some fans of slash then develop a problem with Axl.

Axl apparently has a problem with Slash, and that's his business, it's an issue best left between them and kept out of the fan base.

It's natural for some people to prefer Slash or Robin, each to their own, but I don't think it's positive for people to feel a need to takes 'sides' based on the feelings of other people.

When you find yourself taking "sides" on current/former members of a band you where never a part of nor never will be , yeah that cant be healthy   beer
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #128 on: May 05, 2009, 10:32:41 AM »

i'm tired of it

so, you must really hate seeing GnR in concert since the setlist consists of mainly songs from the 4 of 5 albums of original material that he contributed to?
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #129 on: May 05, 2009, 10:57:20 AM »

How many concerts from the new band after the new album came out did you catch?

Also, who said the band plays exactly what Slash played and the way Slash played?

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #130 on: May 05, 2009, 12:10:37 PM »

i'm tired of it

so, you must really hate seeing GnR in concert since the setlist consists of mainly songs from the 4 of 5 albums of original material that he contributed to?

No, I enjoy all the old songs.  I'm just tired of $la$h'$ playing.  I prefer Robin's take on all the old songs.. IMO he made them all a lot better. and I would rather see how DJ Ashba handles the parts as opposed to having $la$h in the band.
WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #131 on: May 06, 2009, 08:49:36 AM »

i'm tired of it

No, I enjoy all the old songs.  I'm just tired of $la$h'$ playing.  I prefer Robin's take on all the old songs.. IMO he made them all a lot better. and I would rather see how DJ Ashba handles the parts as opposed to having $la$h in the band.

I hate $la$h too! Slash though , good guitar player!
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2009, 09:58:04 AM »

"Robin vs. Slash, which one do you prefer?"

if an simple answer is intended then off course it's Slash!!

Re-Union time, baby!!
4tus phenomenon
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #133 on: May 12, 2009, 06:26:15 PM »

Fantastic song, I can't wait to hear it Live. It will probably be spectacular to hear it "in real".

The Guitar Solo? well... I don't know what to think about it, it's Robin on Lead you know... He is no Slash, so don't expect him to make something as beautifull as Slash. It's not a bad solo but it's unmelodic. The second part is better when the drums enter in the mix though.

Of course, Slash would have put this song to another level because he is a genius. Robin is not. That's it. There's nothing we can do about that.
Only Axl can by taking his phone. But it didn't happen. So enjoy what you got, it's still good as it is  Tongue
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 06:58:07 PM by 4tus phenomenon » Logged

Duff can't "open" for GN'R : it's his band.
angeles
Rocker

« Reply #134 on: May 12, 2009, 07:39:37 PM »

i`m sorry for you, ... guitar solo in this song sounds fantastic !!!  ok

and now ..... is going to sound amazing !!! just because gnr has the best guitarist of the world  love

love and peace !!!!  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 07:41:45 PM by angeles » Logged
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2009, 11:21:14 PM »

Fantastic song, I can't wait to hear it Live. It will probably be spectacular to hear it "in real".

The Guitar Solo? well... I don't know what to think about it, it's Robin on Lead you know... He is no Slash, so don't expect him to make something as beautifull as Slash. It's not a bad solo but it's unmelodic. The second part is better when the drums enter in the mix though.

Of course, Slash would have put this song to another level because he is a genius. Robin is not. That's it. There's nothing we can do about that.
Only Axl can by taking his phone. But it didn't happen. So enjoy what you got, it's still good as it is  Tongue

I need not to take you seriously, you are clearly here to make people like me react badly, that's why I wont do it the way you would expect.

But, let me ask you a question: where are Slash's stratospheric level guitar solos in Axl Rose absence? where are Slash's guitar solo master-pieces in Slash's Snakepit, Velvet Revolver and all his ''without Axl Rose'' musical career? Why I cant see even one (1) guitar solo with the grandiosity of Robin's at TIL in ''Libertad'' or ''Contraband''?

don't you think Slash needs Axl Rose musically like a fish needs water to live? At the other hand, Axl created ''November Rain'' without Slash, and then he created a 14 track album with several masterpieces like TWAT, Prostitute, Madagascar, CITR, This i Love and who knows how many other gems he wrote for upcoming albums we still dont know, everything without Slash.

I could say ''Buckethead could have done it better than Robin'', and I could hold that argument basing myself in tens and tens of songs, like ''Nothingham Lace'', like ''Electric Tears'', like ''lebron'', ''Soothsayer'', ''Too Many Humans'', ''Night of the Slunk'', ''Jordan'' or several others. Buckethead, as you might know, didn't need Axl to write these SONGS (not ''solos'')

I will resume it all in one question: what empirical evidence do you have from Slash ''post Axl'' career to say he would have done the solo from This I Love better than Robin?

Slash is artistically dead from the day he abandoned Axl. He was nothing before Axl, he's nothing now without Axl. That's the word: abandon. Because poor little Sla$h left the band by his own decision. And then he tried to destroy the band we all love with a bunch of lawyers.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #136 on: May 12, 2009, 11:39:23 PM »

I need not to take you seriously, you are clearly here to make people like me react badly, that's why I wont do it the way you would expect.

But, let me ask you a question: where are Slash's stratospheric level guitar solos in Axl Rose absence? where are Slash's guitar solo master-pieces in Slash's Snakepit, Velvet Revolver and all his ''without Axl Rose'' musical career? Why I cant see even one (1) guitar solo with the grandiosity of Robin's at TIL in ''Libertad'' or ''Contraband''?

don't you think Slash needs Axl Rose musically like a fish needs water to live? At the other hand, Axl created ''November Rain'' without Slash, and then he created a 14 track album with several masterpieces like TWAT, Prostitute, Madagascar, CITR, This i Love and who knows how many other gems he wrote for upcoming albums we still dont know, everything without Slash.

I could say ''Buckethead could have done it better than Robin'', and I could hold that argument basing myself in tens and tens of songs, like ''Nothingham Lace'', like ''Electric Tears'', like ''lebron'', ''Soothsayer'', ''Too Many Humans'', ''Night of the Slunk'', ''Jordan'' or several others. Buckethead, as you might know, didn't need Axl to write these SONGS (not ''solos'')

I will resume it all in one question: what empirical evidence do you have from Slash ''post Axl'' career to say he would have done the solo from This I Love better than Robin?

Slash is artistically dead from the day he abandoned Axl. He was nothing before Axl, he's nothing now without Axl. That's the word: abandon. Because poor little Sla$h left the band by his own decision. And then he tried to destroy the band we all love with a bunch of lawyers.
I agree that Slash did his best work BY FAR in GNR.  This argument was had over at gnrevolution awhile back and some of Slash's solo work was brought up and given some pretty good reviews.  Some of the songs referenced were "Vocalise", "Obsession Confession", and "Street Child".

The youtube videos should be on this page.
http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=6109&p=3

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2009, 05:56:49 AM »

Nes is so full of shit its not funny. But then I remember how he ejaculated about Madagascar solo just because he thought it was Richard playing it.and I calm down. hihi

Just ignore him till he's banned again.

4tus phenomenon
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #138 on: May 13, 2009, 08:23:45 AM »

So you think I'll be banned because I say Slash would have probably made a better solo than Robin right?
I suppose that if Jarmo followed your point of vue, I guess 99% of this board would be banned  rofl
Jarmo knows better what to do, I think he doesn't need you to tell him what to do.

You like to think you control this board and take the decision. You don't. You never will.
And stop the personal attacks, I ain't here for that.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 08:31:17 AM by 4tus phenomenon » Logged

Duff can't "open" for GN'R : it's his band.
-Rob-
Banned
Rocker

Here Today ...

« Reply #139 on: May 13, 2009, 09:54:37 AM »

Slash.

By a landslide.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: