Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 20, 2024, 08:13:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228089 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Robin vs. Slash, which one do you prefer?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin vs. Slash, which one do you prefer?  (Read 61552 times)
monkeychow
VIP

How's that for provocation?

« Reply #180 on: May 15, 2009, 05:49:59 PM »

So...if, as this thead suggests,  slash's best work was pulled out of him by Axl, it will be interesting to
see what guitar solos robin produces outside of GNR, as that would then be the test - what can each of them acomplish away from Axl's brilliance at extracting solos.

The guitar on 5' Oclock somewhere is kickass and a hell of a benchmark to live up to in any competition.

It's foolish for us to get into these disputes anyway. I actually think both Slash and Robin are awesome guitarists with quite unique styles of playing.

I get that some people, really enjoy robin's playing. Makes sence. What i don't get is why that translates for some people as then hating slash. And  I do wonder how many of the people  not being "led" by the masses into liking slash, and who hate him, would change their mind if Axl and Slash ever became friends again. And for that matter what people would write if Axl didn't read this board.
4tus phenomenon
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #181 on: May 15, 2009, 07:04:48 PM »

Slash of course, what a question  Roll Eyes

Those who say Robin aren't true GN'R fans or weren't born when the old band was around... or are brainwashed and full of hatred.

The "Axl VS Slash" is a stupidity. Slash is Guns N' Roses as much as Axl. And vice versa. We love them both. Both are legends. It will be like that forever and ever, until they die. I'm sure even when they die God will ask them to reconciliate and reform Guns N' Roses  Grin
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 07:09:25 PM by 4tus phenomenon » Logged

Duff can't "open" for GN'R : it's his band.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #182 on: May 15, 2009, 07:14:31 PM »

So...if, as this thead suggests,  slash's best work was pulled out of him by Axl, it will be interesting to
see what guitar solos robin produces outside of GNR, as that would then be the test - what can each of them acomplish away from Axl's brilliance at extracting solos.
Take for what is worth, but Robin's solos (along with Bucket) on Ghosts Of Mars Soundtrack are all awesome to me.

It's foolish for us to get into these disputes anyway. I actually think both Slash and Robin are awesome guitarists with quite unique styles of playing.
True.

I get that some people, really enjoy robin's playing. Makes sence. What i don't get is why that translates for some people as then hating slash. And  I do wonder how many of the people  not being "led" by the masses into liking slash, and who hate him, would change their mind if Axl and Slash ever became friends again. And for that matter what people would write if Axl didn't read this board.
I don't hate Slash. I'm interested on what he'll do on his solo album. But still, I struggled to listen to what he did since he left the band and I think it's really unfair to compare the volume of work from both when Robin had such a different path on GN'R and his solo carreer (if any). Even so, he still has a lot to offer for those who like him.

And also I think is dumb to say how we prefer Robin because we just support Axl. If so, I'd been raving about DJ Ashba here.

Those who say Robin aren't true GN'R fans or weren't born when the old band was around... or the're brainwashed and full of hatred.
So, I'm not a true GNR fan because I like Robin more? Roll Eyes

And I've been a fan since 1989. Prolly more than you (but if isn't, the point is taken).

cfcsfc
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #183 on: May 15, 2009, 10:52:14 PM »

This thread is one of the most embarrassing things I have ever read.

"the chemistry that they once shared... " you have said it ... it?s past
not now ... Axl has been hurt by this man ...
just because axl has a special soul,  love and he is so sensitve  love
Like i said we don't obey. We see things for ourselves thus we rock.

Wow.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #184 on: May 16, 2009, 07:52:07 AM »

Just because you like so much Slash, right? Roll Eyes

It's really funny. I mean, if it was DJ Ashba, who has no real recording (not only studio, I mean bootleg too) with GNR, I'd say it could be pointless.

But Robin has played many gigs with the band and obviously has the new album. Why the fuck can't someone like him more?

I'm a fan since 1989, I love Slash but I prefer Robin's take on Slash's solos. Like I love GN'R version of KOHD and hate the Bob Dylan (or even Bon Jovi). Like I love Sailing (not the accoustic version) played by GNR and not so much by Rod Stewart. Like I love Hendrix's All Along The Watchtower and not the original from Dylan.

Is that a problem to you? Just because someone created something, it doesn't mean it can't be polished. Hence why I love Look At Your Game Girl.

Also, people here are trying too hard to forget or ignore that even if Robin has only one song credited on Chinese (even though I remember I see something about him having writing credits on Shacklers too before the album came out), he wrote his own parts in the record (like his lead guitar on Catcher, or his solo work on SOD).

But then when people want to defend Slash, they all come like "oh, his a legend, everybody knows him and he's loved by everybody" or "oh, he released XXXXX songs and Robin only one".

Fuck it. We had time enough to know Robin and his style. We had proof enough to love the guy. And, what matters most, the fucking title of the thread says "Robin vs. Slash, which one do you prefer?". It's amazing how some of you can't even respect other people's taste.

So I say: posts like this one above me are "one of the most embarrassing things I have ever read". Shows how narrow minded some can be.

cfcsfc
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #185 on: May 16, 2009, 10:24:20 AM »

Just because you like so much Slash, right? Roll Eyes

I stopped reading there.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #186 on: May 16, 2009, 10:30:39 AM »

Then you just proved my point.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #187 on: May 16, 2009, 12:18:21 PM »

And for that matter what people would write if Axl didn't read this board.

you aren't saying you think axl reads this thread, are you?  hihi
Whether axl is watching (doubt it) or not, or whoever is, it doesn't change the opinions of Robin fans in this thread. Robin's not in the band either, remember?

If you saw the board several years ago you'd know voodoo has been kicking asses like he does above since then.
Back then we had eva 33 norway nytunz younggunner etc in the array of positiveness. some of them don't post much any more. some flopped over to the dark force some got involved in some pig cult.

about the 'hating slash', jim bob was originally half in jest on 'sucks' like i was on 'eggs', I assume. we do hate slashers tho.

about the masses,
nothing important for us who don't follow other people's opinions but in the real world there are possibly more NIN fans than VR fans.  they wouldn't like slash better than robin. In this regard maybe robin actually has more fans than slash now.

lastly,
good post overall, monkeychow. plz say hello to neemo james and madagas for me ok

lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #188 on: May 16, 2009, 01:17:39 PM »

Wow.

Voodoo, I think what this poster meant was how ridiculous some of the posts actually can be.  Those are some inane posts there, regardless of who likes who or what.  And then your first response was this Just because you like so much Slash, right? which had nothing to do with it, really. 

Then there's this.  Statements like this are what provoke people and bring out the same old arguments:
Those who say Robin aren't true GN'R fans or weren't born when the old band was around... or are brainwashed and full of hatred.

Now, here's a sensible post:
It's foolish for us to get into these disputes anyway. I actually think both Slash and Robin are awesome guitarists with quite unique styles of playing.- monkeychow

No matter what, I guess when there's a topic titled "Robin vs Slash" it's going to turn into the same old drivel.   
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #189 on: May 16, 2009, 01:31:13 PM »

Wow.

Voodoo, I think what this poster meant was how ridiculous some of the posts actually can be.  Those are some inane posts there, regardless of who likes who or what.  And then your first response was this Just because you like so much Slash, right? which had nothing to do with it, really. 

just all happened to be non slash friendly posts?
care to elaborate on why those posts are ridiculous?

and tell me if you find any substance in the post you quoted than a malice.
cfcsfc
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #190 on: May 16, 2009, 11:47:25 PM »

just all happened to be non slash friendly posts?
care to elaborate on why those posts are ridiculous?

and tell me if you find any substance in the post you quoted than a malice.

It makes no difference if they are Slash friendly posts or not.
If there was a post that quoted 'Robin' and someone wrote 'Sucks' underneath, I would have thought and said the same thing. It represents the absolute lowest commen demominator post there is. It showed that he had nothing to add, no argument, no discussion or anything to contribute, and so resorted to shit throwing.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #191 on: May 17, 2009, 12:52:18 AM »

fuck off nesquick.    its called a personal preference.

Slash is Guns N' Roses as much as Axl. And vice versa. 
oh really?  Then why hasn't he been in the band since 1996?   He is no longer a part of Guns N Roses, get the fuck over it.

I'm sure even when they die God will ask them to reconciliate and reform Guns N' Roses  Grin
How could that be when GNR are still together?
-Rob-
Banned
Rocker

Here Today ...

« Reply #192 on: May 17, 2009, 01:07:25 AM »

If there was a post that quoted 'Robin' and someone wrote 'Sucks' underneath, I would have thought and said the same thing. It represents the absolute lowest commen demominator post there is. It showed that he had nothing to add, no argument, no discussion or anything to contribute, and so resorted to shit throwing.

Yeah, I don't get why some find this hard to see. Someone says Slash "sucks", then in turn, it will spawn a Robin "sucks" remark .... then *repeat*. Is that pretty much the game? Pretty lame ass way to have a good time to say the least.

Even more bizzarre, you have this "special" person or 2 who likes to attack others because they mention liking or respecting Slash. I'm not sure if they feel like they're doing God's work or what the hell their problem is. Keep in mind, my posts didn't have one bad word to say about Axl, AND it was in a thread that posed the question "Robin or Slash: Who do you prefer"?

Why not just get a life and enjoy the music? Why all the bullshit drama? Did this dispute between Axl and Slash have anything to do with any of your personally? In the end, what is your senseless hatred of any one of them going to prove? I don't think Axl himself expects any of you to sit on a message board throwing bombs at the guy all day. It's a shame that some fans see one's admiration towards one of the original members as an act of disrespect towards Axl. It has absolutely nothing to do with any of you. Get over it already.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 01:12:57 AM by -Rob- » Logged
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #193 on: May 17, 2009, 08:18:47 AM »

If its all about Axl, why would we defend Robin now as he's an ex-member too?

IMHO, he's entitled to his opinion. But it is also ridiculous how he just throw A LOT of reasonable posts in the garbage too.

Also ridiculous his response. If I'm wrong, at least try to explain - just like you did. Disrespectfully, he didn't want to go further.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #194 on: May 17, 2009, 11:04:32 AM »

Maybe he sucks to Jim Bob because Slash hasn't done anything Jim Bob likes since the early 90s?

Did you ever think about that?

/jarmo

So you honestly can tell me that a post that says "sucks" isn't trolling? Good to know the rules here!  beer

We're talking about a former member.

It's quite obvious that not everybody is going to love what the former members have done since GN'R.

That's the point.

Just because Gilby was in GN'R doesn't mean you have to love Rockstar Supernova etc.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #195 on: May 17, 2009, 11:28:41 AM »

The point is  ' Sucks' is a trolling style post.

Gilby never wrote or recorded one single original song with GNR, so the comparison doesn't  hold water.
I think people get annoyed when someone who was a major contributor to 3 of the 4 full length albums GNR has done isn't shown any level of respect. Granted this site is geared more for the new band, but its still a GNR site, therefore Slash being perhaps the 2nd or 3rd biggest contributor to what GNR has done so far should be afforded a little respect....the same way Axl should. This DOESN'T mean no criticism, but surely a GNR site shouldnt goad it'd members into slagging a former major contributor.

The precedent now set, what happens if someone posts a reply stating that CD or Axl ' Suck' and that's all they have to offer?? I'll assume it won't now be deleted??

On topic.

I personally was over the moon when Finck joined GNR, but IMHO he is more hype or style than substance....I just don't like his playing, thats a personal opinion based on his style...or lack of.
Slash is an awesome guitarist, unfortunately he's not so great without a great songwriter to base things off.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 11:31:05 AM by carmiedisco12 » Logged
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #196 on: May 17, 2009, 12:24:31 PM »

Keep in mind, my posts didn't have one bad word to say about Axl, AND it was in a thread that posed the question "Robin or Slash: Who do you prefer"?

yea keep in mind it wan't about your opinion on some poster. No one said your posts had a bad word about axl. Alternatively, whose post had?

Why not just get a life and enjoy the music? Why all the bullshit drama? Did this dispute between Axl and Slash have anything to do with any of your personally? In the end, what is your senseless hatred of any one of them going to prove? I don't think Axl himself expects any of you to sit on a message board throwing bombs at the guy all day. It's a shame that some fans see one's admiration towards one of the original members as an act of disrespect towards Axl. It has absolutely nothing to do with any of you. Get over it already.

Again, I don't know about slash fans but robin fans all know Robin's not in GNR. We have our own eyes, ears and minds. Our personal preference for a guitarist has nothing to do with axls or anyone elses.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #197 on: May 17, 2009, 12:48:39 PM »

how about....

Quote from: jim cfcsfc bob

This thread is one of the most embarrassing things I have ever read

Slash.

I think I'm going to puke.   drool  (that's puke, not drool, BTW)

I had to call some people in my office to read over some of your posts.

Wow.

a world of difference for you?

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #198 on: May 17, 2009, 01:48:52 PM »

The precedent now set, what happens if someone posts a reply stating that CD or Axl ' Suck' and that's all they have to offer?? I'll assume it won't now be deleted??

The difference is that Axl is a member of the band.

You fail to realize that there's a difference between coming to a GN'R site to say you hate the (current) band or to say that you think a former member's music sucks.

Stop assuming shit.

There's no rule that says you have to love the former members of the band to post here.

You're aware that a bunch of people actually became fans of the band after people left the band right?

We don't give a fuck what you like or dislike, as long as you're a GN'R fan that supports the band. Other than that it doesn't matter if Adler's Appetite is your second favorite band in the universe or if you hate them.

So if you come here to post shit about Axl and/or GN'R, you're obviously on the wrong fucking site and you might wanna look up some sites dedicated to the former members.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #199 on: May 17, 2009, 10:54:12 PM »

I'll assume the term 'you' is used in the general sense rather than specifically to me then??

I for one certainly do not 'love' Slash, but as a major contributor to what GNR was I certainly respect the man, and I woulda thought that being a GNR site and not purely a new GNR site then a basic level of respect should apply. Like I said respect DOES not mean no criticism where valid. The divide between 'Slash fans' and Axl fans is a joke....both parties should get over it. Unfortunately this childishness appears to be encouraged at times.

Purely as a guitarist I rate Slash much higher than Finck, as I've said previously I cant wait to see what Fortus brings collaboration wise as I think he has an excellent style, great tone and appears to have the chops to write a lot of great rock music.  Fortus V Slash would be a seriously good debate when the next album is released.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: