Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 10:35:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Arenas vs Stadiums
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arenas vs Stadiums  (Read 11355 times)
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 04:23:14 PM »

Just curious what everyone prefers areanas or stadiums. Please none of the "I don't care, as long as they tour" comments. To me stadiums are too big, the bands seem to get lost on the stage and a good portion of the crowd lose the live experiance because they are better off watching it on the jumbo- trons.
Clubs are not an option, this is GN'R not VR.....

didn't their 4-5 shows at the Hammerstein in 2006 get rave reviews, sell out in minutes, and generate huge amounts of positive publicity
thesloth
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 05:10:32 PM »

So what are they considering stadiums vs Arenas.  If comparing to 2006 GnR was not selling out 10-20 000 seat Arenas so they are now going to try and sell out 50-80 000 seat Stadiums? 
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 05:33:26 PM »

As a spectator, small venues are by far the best.  More intimate, better crowd energy, better acoustics, everything.  To me it gets progressively worse the bigger the venue gets unless it's one of those venues like MSG where there's just something special about it, but then you have the ticket prices

You can get lower end tickets to a stadium show for $30-40 whereas if it's an arena you're paying $60-70 for the cheapest seats and if it's a theater you might well be paying upwards of $100

The stadium idea is great if they put together a strong touring lineup that includes 4-5 quality, bigger name bands (including Guns of course) and you can get in a 6-7 hour show for $40 bucks or so, that's a great deal and it's an event so a it's kind of cool to see the huge crowd
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 06:34:54 PM »

the problem with festivals and stadiums is that you have many people not really being interested in the last band, being too drunk and tired from all the other bands and beer and stuff. so i'd rather see a headliner tour with 2 cool but smaller support acts and many dates within a country than only a very few big stadium shows with many or big bands within 1 country....i'd pick the smaller venues in general.
as long as they dont shorten their show under 2h because of so many other bands i dont mind too much though, but as they did very good in that at the 2006 festivals this probably isnt an issue.

Re-Union time, baby!!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 06:53:20 PM »

Everybody wants GN'R to play in their living room, backyard, bar or whatever. Wink

But you have to look around you.

Maybe it's not a viable option to play lots of gigs in small venues?

So you're "stuck" with arenas, amphitheaters, festivals, stadiums and other bigger capacity venues.

Which ironically enough is a luxury for many bands....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2009, 08:22:35 PM »

Stadiums will be definitelly better if they can sold out. I've watched Metallica at the National Stadium here (Bulgaria) 65.000 and it was fantastic. In my opinion they should do both. 

"...It don't really matter..."
Chief
Legend

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2009, 09:48:04 PM »

I'd prefer smaller venues like arenas and theaters but if they want to do stadiums, i think they only will do a select few.

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2009, 10:27:18 PM »

I thought it was really cool when the Stones came to town and played a 2,000 seater, 20,000 seater and 50,000 seater back-to-back-to-back... obviously GN'R aren't popular enough right now to do this, but even throwing in one or two club gigs in the really big markets the night before the big stadium show would be awesome.
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2009, 11:51:36 PM »

There is something to be said about seeing a show outdoors......so I am all for it.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
John Galt
Rocker

Peace Sells... But still no one is buying goddamit

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2009, 04:02:30 AM »

Arena for me - I saw Metallica at Wembley stadium 2 years ago, the experience is lost, and they did not sell out (so I don;t think Guns would either) - I would rather they play the O2 in London - great acoustics and a packed 20,000 would make a great atmosphere

(Plus at Stadiums, lots of bands (Metallica, Chilli Peppers) do gold circle tickets, which cost a bomb, get the best position, but they are not usually filled up due to the cost and the crowd loses a lot of energy becuase many of the fans won;t stump up the ?100 or whatever for those tickets) - so please arena for me  ok
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2009, 07:25:55 AM »

MSG is so over-rated.I prefer the Nassau Col. on Long Island...or even the outdoor venue at Jones Beach..Just stay away from GIANT Stadium....
Silverchair
Rocker

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2009, 07:51:19 AM »

When I caught GNR/Metallica in 92... I needed binoculars and really couldn't hear shit. I don't like stadium tours. I don't like festivals either. I like arenas better. I was like 7 feet from Axl and the boys... there's nothing better than that. Unless I could be backstage and partake of the drunken mechanical bullriding too.

In short arena < stadium. IMO.

(Out of topic) But I would've given my left nut to be at Rosario Dawson's B-Day bash when they did the acoustic performance. That would own all. Come to think of it, if GNR would do VH1's Storytellers or MTV Unplugged it would be ridiculously awesome.

"They don?t make ?em like Vince Neil or Tommy Lee anymore. And there sure hasn?t been another Axl Rose. " via MSNBC- 2008.

"Think For Yourself, Question Authority"

HUMOR = Negative Karma
Lourenco
Rocker

lourencovc.com

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2009, 07:58:00 AM »

I prefer smaller venues, for my viewing pleasure, but just like Jarmo pointed out, we all want GN'R playing our backyard!  beer

I loved watching them in El Ejido, Spain in 2006 because there were like 10.000 people there tops. I also loved watching them here in Portugal in Rock In Rio. That was a kickass gig!

So as far as I'm concerned, we should all be happy that GN'R are considering touring.  Grin

That's the best news this year.
Annie
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2009, 08:14:27 AM »

What is the difference between a stadium and an arena? Where would they play in Chicago?
Silverchair
Rocker

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2009, 08:29:01 AM »

What is the difference between a stadium and an arena? Where would they play in Chicago?

Where the Cubs play I would imagine... that's like over 50,000 people. You need a lot of faith to sell that out.

"They don?t make ?em like Vince Neil or Tommy Lee anymore. And there sure hasn?t been another Axl Rose. " via MSNBC- 2008.

"Think For Yourself, Question Authority"

HUMOR = Negative Karma
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2009, 08:57:13 AM »

It would be All State Arena vs Soldier Field.  I saw the Dead at SF and it was a good show, sound was OK.  I don't see the Cubs or the Sox letting a concert take place in their respective stadiums during the season. My money would be on SF.
Morley
Opening Act

There's stories to be told...

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2009, 09:06:14 AM »

For the band, its better play in Stadiums.

To general public, arenas looks to fit better, because we  felt the great energy.

Thus, I will be with the public...

'Morley

Here Today... I'm afraid... nervous
Annie
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2009, 09:09:30 AM »

It would be All State Arena vs Soldier Field.  I saw the Dead at SF and it was a good show, sound was OK.  I don't see the Cubs or the Sox letting a concert take place in their respective stadiums during the season. My money would be on SF.
I hate Soldier field. Would the United Center be considerd a stadium?
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2009, 09:21:27 AM »

The United center is an arena, albeit a large one.  I think a general rule of thumb would be that if a hockey or basketball team play in it, it is an arena.  If a baseball or football team play in it, it is a stadium.  Of course there are some exceptions.
Annie
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2009, 09:23:26 AM »

The United center is an arena, albeit a large one.  I think a general rule of thumb would be that if a hockey or basketball team play in it, it is an arena.  If a baseball or football team play in it, it is a stadium.  Of course there are some exceptions.
Thankyou so much. I hope they pick United Center. I saw the Rolling Stones at SF and UC and UC was so much better! Besides they call the current SF stadium Godzilla's toilet.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 09:26:33 AM by Annie » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: