Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 07:37:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Billboard Exclusive: Axl Rose Speaks
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Billboard Exclusive: Axl Rose Speaks  (Read 78481 times)
Principessa
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #140 on: February 07, 2009, 07:52:26 AM »

He may not want to go into specific details. Much of his writing comes from a  personal/complicated place.

He might elaborate on how he writes... But he also did say that "the music should speak for itself"...

He did say on the forum interviews that if the questions weren't too personal, he would answer them.

Maybe a autobiography one day, will be the answer.

I hope the next interview Axl gives goes into the detail behind the meaning of the songs. I am already getting sick of this he said/she said legal shit about record companies and band members.

It's always gonna be Axl vs the rest of the world. We get that now. I would like to see the journo's ask more questions about the music and the creative process.e.t.c.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 07:55:22 AM by Principessa » Logged

...and I Do
rale
Opening Act

« Reply #141 on: February 07, 2009, 09:10:55 AM »

did axl say something about video for better?
Jimmy?
You can't really dust for vomit
Legend

Don't you try to stop us now.......

« Reply #142 on: February 07, 2009, 09:42:32 AM »

Did you not read the article?
Rage in the Cage
Headliner

« Reply #143 on: February 07, 2009, 09:52:45 AM »

The video for better is being finalized. Supposedly.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #144 on: February 07, 2009, 10:41:28 AM »

Axl, I don't know why you don't have an immense headache 24/7.  The cd is out there for people to buy and they can hear the music, goal achieved. 

Your a musician not a businessman.  You brought the best management out there.  They like playing in this stuff, pass it off to them and get us out of this nightmare.  Not telling you what to do but as a fan, I'm happiest when the band is on the road.  I could give a flying fuck about the booklet, music video's, songs in movies and on games.  Won't hurt my feelings if you leave that all behind and go sing with your friends.  GNR is at their best when they perform.  There's nothing like GNR live.  Just my opinion.  I can shut up and share my big bottle of asprin if you find that more helpful.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #145 on: February 07, 2009, 01:41:02 PM »

Why on earth didn't the record company want a music video to accompany the albums release?

Without knowing the specifics, one thing is for sure, it costs money to make one.

Assuming the record company wasn't into spending time or money on promotion, maybe they didn't think a video was necessary until Best Buy started asking for one.

Then suddenly the record company's stance on a video changed....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #146 on: February 07, 2009, 04:45:04 PM »

I must disagree with Axl on the record label front though. someone that allows u to take 10 years and spend 13 million dollars of their money BELIEVES in you, cause there aren't many other bands that would've been afforded that luxury.

Best Buy deal, the label recouped there money and did bail on the album,but I think it isn't fair to say they weren't supported.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #147 on: February 07, 2009, 04:50:18 PM »

If any of you are interested in learning more about the music industry, which might help you see things from all sides and also see how simple or complicated some things can be, buy All You Need To Know About the Music Business by Donald S. Passman
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #148 on: February 07, 2009, 04:54:51 PM »

I must disagree with Axl on the record label front though. someone that allows u to take 10 years and spend 13 million dollars of their money BELIEVES in you, cause there aren't many other bands that would've been afforded that luxury.

Best Buy deal, the label recouped there money and did bail on the album,but I think it isn't fair to say they weren't supported.

The people who gave the original $10 million advance were gone by 1998 or 1999 according to an article I read last year.  So the vast majority of that money/support came from people who have been gone for over a decade
Padmasana
Headliner

King of Beers

« Reply #149 on: February 07, 2009, 05:10:30 PM »

What was the mention of Tommy about at the beginning of the interview? Did they phone him up and he just agreed with everything or what?

Funny how everything was Roses when we held onto the Guns...
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #150 on: February 07, 2009, 05:36:31 PM »

Obviously they were allowed to record, but that's not the same as being supported. Axl seems to be saying that pressure from the label was at times disruptive. Sure a lot of bands wouldn't get the luxuries afforded GNR, but that's because those other bands aren't GNR. Bigger stakes et al.
ATmagnum
Opening Act

« Reply #151 on: February 07, 2009, 05:51:19 PM »

It sounds to me like the band, including Axl, wants to ramp up the promotion of the album -- and are starting to slowly take matters into their own hands.  Maybe things aren't going to happen overnight, but it also looks like a tour is probably going to happen in the future.  We, as fans, have a new album that rocks.  Things could be a lot worse.
rosebud
Opening Act

« Reply #152 on: February 07, 2009, 07:00:59 PM »

Dearest Axl,
I meant to send you a msg on Feb 6 which is Waitangi day in N.Z. I will never forget the day you came here in'92 and hav missed you ever since.
I'm sorry it has been such hell for you, for so long. It has been for me too. You hav been producing albums, I hav been producing children.
Nevertheless, this world is full of vampires that feast on anything precious and sacred as though their life depended on it.
I would rather be somewhere else but I can't die cause then there would be no one- to protect them.
Saying Happy Birthday is just a cliche like so many others. I used to try and celebrate your birthday, Waitangi Day, Bob Marley's birthday all at once. I wish you would come here again.
The weight of the world is getting heavier and heavier and my birthday message to you is yes, let it slip off your shoulders. You have given so much, you have given your soul , which is why so many loved you. Only you can say if you sold it to the devil, and why we don't see it no more. Or is it that they tried to destroy you cause what you gave was so real?
I can say I honestly loved you, and miss your beautiful shining spirit giving everything that you are to the whole wide world.
I find it hard to listen to your new album and see you cos i hear and see your pain and suffering, and I feel it in my own life.
So you are 47 now? I have seen your spirit shining on stage(in '91) and I know that is who you are, and i hope you wont forget that.
I'm sorry you have suffered so much. I am not surprised, and do beleive it is a miracle you and your album have lived and survived . i and my children have suffered for so long, but that we are still alive is something  I wish I could be greatful for.' Don't throw your pearls before swine'....... they will hunt you down and devour you anyway.
 Instead of writing a birthday message to you, I have been trying to warn people that our local council is going to aerial spray willow trees near  where our children swim and play. trying to protect my little daughter from her father who has taken me to court so he can have "contact " with her- alone. Anyway , she is calling me and if I don't send this now I probably never will.
 I tried to send this early, cause your birthday is tomorrow here, but it's late,  and I'm sorry.
my  son's computer has been fucking up and there is never enough time to do what i really want to do, with all the wolves at the door.
I would love to see you happy, and you, and free and alive, and beholden to no one.
Anyway, I gotta go .... love you
 love
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #153 on: February 07, 2009, 11:50:57 PM »

That made my morning!  You guys are on top of this shit.

Record companies are THE WORST.  You wonder if anyone with an ear from Interscope ever came in to listen to CD as it was being formulated.  Anyone with a right musical mind could have recognized that this wasn't some average attempt at a record.  "throw it at the wall, see if it sticks" , what a horrible feeling to have when you're in the middle of creating your best work.

I firmly believe now that the farther Axl gets away from Old Guns, the more material he will be able to create.  As a fan of GN'R, at this point, the last thing I want is a reunion.  Fans should dissuade Axl from this notion, rally behind the idea that his best days are ahead of him. I want Axl to work with this new group of musicians and create more songs.  Nostalgia is overrated in my book.  Plus, all the musicians he is working with now are BETTER.  Anything that anyone has done from Guns (other than Izzy) has been weak.  Izzy's shit is at least honest, not groundbreaking, but honest music.  I may step on toes with this one, but all of Velvet Revolver's music is mediocre at best, including their washed out singer.

Amen. Perfect put.

That I'll print out and stick on the fridge. Daily GN'R pledge ha ha. "I firmly believe that..." hihi

But seriously, as if it hasn't been clear long enough, it's now crystal clear. Axl said he and Slash will never share the stage again. Meaning ever.

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #154 on: February 08, 2009, 05:49:23 AM »

As much as the mention of past members is always juicy on the forum, the real news was definitely in the last answer. I think he answered the questions that have been topic number one here about promotion. We've all known about the negative and unfair press Axl and GNR have gotten over the years, and it seems the plan has always been to take time to deal with that. Not to have a big roll-out and media campaign that would feed into it. To me that makes sense, if only because the album is so strong and with so many tracks (there's hardly a song that isn't considered their favorite by someone). It's been so long since the UYI days, and there's a whole new lineup now, so i think it's good to take time to build something new. And i also think it's important that they be careful about when and how to approach large market media that they don't get taken advantage of, used for a buck or blindsided by harsh opinions, unfair questions, dishonest editing, etc. It's a big task, and i think GNR is wisely choosing not to put the cart before the horse.
Padmasana
Headliner

King of Beers

« Reply #155 on: February 08, 2009, 08:14:25 AM »

I hope the next interview Axl gives goes into the detail behind the meaning of the songs. I am already getting sick of this he said/she said legal shit about record companies and band members.

It's always gonna be Axl vs the rest of the world. We get that now. I would like to see the journo's ask more questions about the music and the creative process.e.t.c.

People write songs so as not to have to express things in words... Read into it what you like, or better yet, what you feel.

Funny how everything was Roses when we held onto the Guns...
TokyoRose
Headliner

« Reply #156 on: February 08, 2009, 10:47:37 AM »

My main problem with Axl is that he never seems to take any blame for anything.

Slash is the biggest jerk alive, and Axl was perfect?
I just don't buy it. 

Slash's book was a lot less hateful than any of Axl's interviews.

I've been following this band since 1987, and I continue to enjoy whatever they put out.
Axl sounds today, as he did in his interviews in the late 80s.  He's pissed off at everything,
everyone does him wrong, and he is just some poor wounded boy that always seems to
get a raw deal?  I just don't put too much weight into someone that acts like
they never do anything wrong. 

Axl, you are a great singer, love the new cd, but I'm
never going to believe you didn't play your part in the band breaking up in the 90s.
Everyone is guilty, everyone made mistakes, and you have played a big role
in the problems that happened in the past. 
Principessa
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #157 on: February 08, 2009, 10:52:46 AM »

In this interview Axl does not mention the devastating breakup at all.

He is referring to some of the things that transpired over the years after that.

...and I Do
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #158 on: February 08, 2009, 12:39:22 PM »

true. He's not on about the breakup. It's the war after that and ongoing.

he's not pissed off at bestbuy.
he's not pissed off at robin, BH or even at duff.
he never acts as if he's perfect.  for example he said he was idiot for drinking too much after a show.

Principessa
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #159 on: February 08, 2009, 12:50:11 PM »

I.R.S. lyric:

"wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong"

he never acts as if he's perfect.  for example he said he was idiot for drinking too much after a show.

...and I Do
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: