Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 07:34:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Billboard Exclusive: Axl Rose Speaks
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Billboard Exclusive: Axl Rose Speaks  (Read 78472 times)
Layflats
Headliner

I'm not an idiot.

« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2009, 03:24:41 PM »

No, because nickelback is one of those bands he's  talking about in which the  record companies and media outlets force down our throats.

...and isn't it the mature listener of music that smells that shit out right away and casts it off. 

Try looking at this thing through a 13-20 year olds eyes, when a lot of your disposable cash goes to music and games.  You probably wouldn't be running out for Chinese Democracy, unless you've decided to broaden yourself past the mainstream.  Yeah maybe you've heard of Gn'R, but your 15 years removed, a generation, from THE HYPE.  The style of music on the album is not "in".  I see a lot written about high expectations.  Whose expectations again?

For this album to be near 3 million units worldwide is solid.  And this isn't a band of 20 somethings anymore that were larger than life cartoon characters.  Now you have 35 to 47 year olds creating music based on a lifetime of experience.  From a 36 year old musicians standpoint, I think this is the best work Axl has ever been a part of.  It has so much depth and precision and emotion.  If I was 17, I'd of seen it completely differently.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 04:27:38 PM by Layflats » Logged

Chicago 11/15/11
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2009, 03:28:05 PM »

Good for Axl doing a interview, Chinese Democracy would be great for Rock Band 2 would extend its promo.  Record Company's are the devil.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2009, 03:29:04 PM »

Also, I can respect a GNR fan for not liking CD. It is possible for someone to not care for it.

Because you're one of those GN'R fans?

If CD were that wonderful, it would have caught on.  

It's 2009. You don't have to buy an actual cd to hear the music.....

So there's people out there listening to it and it won't show up on any sales charts.

/jarmo

You could say this about any band out there jarmo...so technically, you can get the idea of how popular a band is by album sales.  Every band now a days is working in the same environment. But with that said.. I think GNR is doing fine sales wise...and IS catching on.  

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2009, 03:30:18 PM »

Also, I can respect a GNR fan for not liking CD. It is possible for someone to not care for it.

Because you're one of those GN'R fans?

If CD were that wonderful, it would have caught on.  

It's 2009. You don't have to buy an actual cd to hear the music.....

So there's people out there listening to it and it won't show up on any sales charts.

/jarmo

I like CD, I certainly don't think it is the greatest album ever made and I still would take Appetite and the Illusions over it. That doesn't mean I am not a fan. I mean everytime Prince releases a CD, I don't go "WOW" thats better than Purple Rain or Emancipation. With Bon Jovi, I love their last album, but nowhere like NJ or Slippery

Its a good album, it has some interesting nicely done musical elements but for me, it just lacks on the rock side of things. I dig CD,Shackler's and Sraped, but Rhiad,Better and IRS don't do much for me.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
surforia
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2009, 04:17:21 PM »

Chinese Democracy is a brilliant album.  Both Axl and Slash are immensely talented, yet clearly a bit troubled.  A reconciliation would be huge.  Certain people were destined to play music together:  Lennon/McCartney, Townshend/Daltry, Page/Plant, Waters/Gilmore, Strummer/Jones, Jagger/Richards, Jack/Meg, Tyler/Perry.  Let's face it, Axl/Slash were meant to play together - their destinies will be forever entangled.  Axl believes in reincarnation and resolving issues in past lives.  It should be obvious to him that his conflict with Slash is, and forever will be, the defining conflict in his life.  This conflict needs to be resolved, and this is coming from someone that loves Chinese Democracy, saw the new band four times in 2006, and checks the boards every day for the slightest sliver of information.
Layflats
Headliner

I'm not an idiot.

« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2009, 04:29:45 PM »

^^^ I see Axl/Izzy more in that regard.  The history and love of songwriting.  C your point though.

Chicago 11/15/11
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2009, 04:30:49 PM »

There's nothing wrong with not liking Chinese Democracy. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I'll be honest, the first time I heard it, I was disappointed. I liked it, but I wasn't blown away. Of course, after all the years and anticipation, there's no way it could've lived up to the hype. But, in my opinion, the sign of a great album is one that continues to grow with every listen--- an album with many layers that slowly reveal themselves over time. That's what Chinese Democracy is. It isn't an album that you pop in your stereo and instantly fall in love with (and I've noticed that usually when you find one of those albums, the more you listen to it, the less you like it). Chinese Democracy is the way music is supposed to be. It's a complex, intelligent, ever-evolving work of art. I recieved several new CDs for Christmas, and after just listening to them a few times, I was already ready to go back to Chinese Democracy, which I've been listening to nearly every day, all day since November 23rd.

Just because an album doesn't sound well, doesn't mean it's not great. And vice versa. I mean, Hannah Montana and the Jonas Brothers sell a shitload of albums. Are they better than GNR? Is Taylor Swift better than GNR? AC/DC's Black Ice has sold incredibly well, and that's cool--- I like AC/DC. But Black Ice is one of those albums I received for Christmas, and although it's a solid rock album, there's not really a single track that stands out in my mind. I'm already bored with Black Ice because all the songs blend together--- in the end it all sounds the same, as if you've just been listening to one long ass song. I got the new Buckcherry album, Black Butterfly, and again, I'm already bored with it. I like Buckcherry--- I think they're one of the better "new" rock bands out there--- but again, they only have two styles: down-n-dirty rock'n'roll, and ballads. Josh Todd sounds the same on every fucking song. The band behind him sounds the same on every fucking song.

Chinese Democracy reaches higher than any of those other albums. Axl didn't bust his ass just to put out an album for the sake of making money. That's all most bands care about: the money. But Axl believes in the integrity of the music; he looks at it as an artform. He wants to make the best goddamn album possible. He's experimental, innovative; he doesn't just stick to the same ol' formula, no matter how successful it's been in the past. UYI was not an attempt at re-creating AFD. Neither is CD an attempt at either the UYI sound or the AFD sound. I'm not saying everything works on Chinese Democracy. Sometimes I think, yeah, they might've tampered with that song a bit too much. IMO, "Riad" ranks near the bottom of the GNR canon, alongside songs like "Bad Apples" and "Shotgun Blues." But then there are songs like "Better" and "TWAT" and "Sorry" and, really, basically the entire album, that rank right up there with the best of GNR.

Everyone has a different definition of success. You seem to think it means selling a lot of albums. I disagree. I think Chinese Democracy is a great success. The majority of the fans love it. It may not be a masterpiece, but it's pretty goddamn close.

And as for your assumption that "everyone knows about the album," --- yeah, right. The diehard fans know about the album because we've been following the band. And maybe people who really follow the music industry (or, more specifically, rock'n'roll) know of it too, as you say, but the majority of the buying-public doesn't. So many of my friends have made comments to me like, "So, I hear Chinese Democracy is finally coming out." And I'm like, "Yeah, man, it came out like three months ago." They have no idea. And how would they? If you don't go browsing music websites and you haven't been in  your local Best Buy, you probably don't know the album has been released. If the album was available at every store, including the ever-present Wal-Mart, I think the album would've sold at least twice the copies it has so far, maybe even three times. People would buy this album if they could more easily get their hands on it. I had to wake up and drive nearly forty minutes Nov. 23 to get to the closest Best Buy, whereas I would've had to drive about five minutes to the nearest Wal-Mart, if it had been available there.

You take into consideration the lack of availibility, the lack of promotion, along with the facts that this isn't exactly a "radio-friendly" album, nor is it an album that many people are going to listen to the first time and instantly be head-over-heels about, then yeah, it isn't going to sell a ton. But once a tour starts, once a new single comes out, once there are a few videos circulating, and especially once the exclusive-rights deal with Best Buy expires, then I think the album will regain steam.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 04:33:29 PM by gilee7 » Logged

Here Today . . .
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2009, 06:18:24 PM »

^ As usual Gilee7...amazing post!  My only difference is that I have been blown away since the 1st listen...and it's still getting better!

beer

btw, Fuck Slash. 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2009, 07:05:15 PM »

I like CD, I certainly don't think it is the greatest album ever made and I still would take Appetite and the Illusions over it. That doesn't mean I am not a fan.

Oh, sorry. I just thought you didn't like the guitars, the drums or bass on it....

hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Padmasana
Headliner

King of Beers

« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2009, 08:08:18 PM »

Um... I'd love to hear a Duff/Axl collaboration, or even a Duff/Izzy/Axl collaboration, because if we're honest, those guys are the only ones of the 'old Guns' to have done anything with artistic merit since UYI.

Funny how everything was Roses when we held onto the Guns...
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2009, 08:20:12 PM »

By your logic, Nickelback must be one of the greatest bands in the world considering their sales.

What's that?!

Let's try this again:  Great music will always succeed.  But, just because an album is successful does not necessarily mean it is great.  

You said the lack of sales is reflective of quality.  It isn't.  That is a gross oversimplification and shows little to no understanding of the dynamics involved, in my opinion.  I've owned too many great albums that haven't sold a damn.  I've seen it time and again.

Great music does not always succeed.  That just isn't true.

Ali
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2009, 08:22:05 PM »

I guess the interview pretty much puts to rest any thought of a reunion. He really seems to have taken a dislike for Slash.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2009, 08:30:33 PM »

I like CD, I certainly don't think it is the greatest album ever made and I still would take Appetite and the Illusions over it. That doesn't mean I am not a fan.

Oh, sorry. I just thought you didn't like the guitars, the drums or bass on it....

hihi

/jarmo

no that isn't what I said. I said I like the guitars on songs not named Catcher or This I Love.  I just don't like IRS period... Riad is ok..

The drum thing to clarify is:

On Appetite and like Metallica and Motley Crue albums, the drums are in the forefront and are an instrument used to really get the groove and song going.

on CD, the drums are used more as an accompanying tool. There is nothing wrong with that, Drums are normally  just percussion to keep the beat add to the song etc etc

on CD, people are making the drumming out to be like John Bonham rose from the grave or something and I just don't hear it.

for me, it sounds like standard, normal drumming u would hear on 99 percent of music.

the drums don't have any significant, rocket Queen, Paradise City, YCBM, Locomotive lead to them

the drums on CD keep the beat and are sort of low in the mix for the most part but they aren't what u would call "Featured"

helenluna
Rocker

Gimme some more!

« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2009, 09:02:14 PM »

There's nothing wrong with not liking Chinese Democracy. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I'll be honest, the first time I heard it, I was disappointed. I liked it, but I wasn't blown away. Of course, after all the years and anticipation, there's no way it could've lived up to the hype. But, in my opinion, the sign of a great album is one that continues to grow with every listen--- an album with many layers that slowly reveal themselves over time. That's what Chinese Democracy is. It isn't an album that you pop in your stereo and instantly fall in love with (and I've noticed that usually when you find one of those albums, the more you listen to it, the less you like it). Chinese Democracy is the way music is supposed to be. It's a complex, intelligent, ever-evolving work of art. I recieved several new CDs for Christmas, and after just listening to them a few times, I was already ready to go back to Chinese Democracy, which I've been listening to nearly every day, all day since November 23rd.

Just because an album doesn't sound well, doesn't mean it's not great. And vice versa. I mean, Hannah Montana and the Jonas Brothers sell a shitload of albums. Are they better than GNR? Is Taylor Swift better than GNR? AC/DC's Black Ice has sold incredibly well, and that's cool--- I like AC/DC. But Black Ice is one of those albums I received for Christmas, and although it's a solid rock album, there's not really a single track that stands out in my mind. I'm already bored with Black Ice because all the songs blend together--- in the end it all sounds the same, as if you've just been listening to one long ass song. I got the new Buckcherry album, Black Butterfly, and again, I'm already bored with it. I like Buckcherry--- I think they're one of the better "new" rock bands out there--- but again, they only have two styles: down-n-dirty rock'n'roll, and ballads. Josh Todd sounds the same on every fucking song. The band behind him sounds the same on every fucking song.

Chinese Democracy reaches higher than any of those other albums. Axl didn't bust his ass just to put out an album for the sake of making money. That's all most bands care about: the money. But Axl believes in the integrity of the music; he looks at it as an artform. He wants to make the best goddamn album possible. He's experimental, innovative; he doesn't just stick to the same ol' formula, no matter how successful it's been in the past. UYI was not an attempt at re-creating AFD. Neither is CD an attempt at either the UYI sound or the AFD sound. I'm not saying everything works on Chinese Democracy. Sometimes I think, yeah, they might've tampered with that song a bit too much. IMO, "Riad" ranks near the bottom of the GNR canon, alongside songs like "Bad Apples" and "Shotgun Blues." But then there are songs like "Better" and "TWAT" and "Sorry" and, really, basically the entire album, that rank right up there with the best of GNR.

Everyone has a different definition of success. You seem to think it means selling a lot of albums. I disagree. I think Chinese Democracy is a great success. The majority of the fans love it. It may not be a masterpiece, but it's pretty goddamn close.

I agree with you mostly on everything. Though I liked CD from the start. I wasn't disappointed because I wasn't expecting anything. I knew Axl would do something really not for the masses, it takes a lot of musical intelligence to understand this record... And I don't think Rhiad is bad, not at all, I like it!

But, well said about how the record grows and how all songs have an identity of their own, the album doesn't fade in our minds neither becomes an uniform mass, a long boring song. Chinese Democracy is the only record that has this effect on me since... I don't remember when. It's mind-blowing. Not in the rebel kind of way like AFD - that made us want to go out and change the world - but in a more introspective way. The music in it has depth, emotion, and it rewards us every time we hear it.

And as for your assumption that "everyone knows about the album," --- yeah, right. The diehard fans know about the album because we've been following the band. And maybe people who really follow the music industry (or, more specifically, rock'n'roll) know of it too, as you say, but the majority of the buying-public doesn't. So many of my friends have made comments to me like, "So, I hear Chinese Democracy is finally coming out." And I'm like, "Yeah, man, it came out like three months ago." They have no idea. And how would they? If you don't go browsing music websites and you haven't been in  your local Best Buy, you probably don't know the album has been released. If the album was available at every store, including the ever-present Wal-Mart, I think the album would've sold at least twice the copies it has so far, maybe even three times. People would buy this album if they could more easily get their hands on it. I had to wake up and drive nearly forty minutes Nov. 23 to get to the closest Best Buy, whereas I would've had to drive about five minutes to the nearest Wal-Mart, if it had been available there.

You take into consideration the lack of availibility, the lack of promotion, along with the facts that this isn't exactly a "radio-friendly" album, nor is it an album that many people are going to listen to the first time and instantly be head-over-heels about, then yeah, it isn't going to sell a ton. But once a tour starts, once a new single comes out, once there are a few videos circulating, and especially once the exclusive-rights deal with Best Buy expires, then I think the album will regain steam.

Totally true. I know people that think that GnR is over. Most people I know have no idea that the band or even just Axl (if they consider that GnR without slash is not GnR) is still active. A lot of people have not heard about Chinese Democracy's release. We know it because we were looking for news on it everyday. But the average music listener has no access to CD. The best buy deal has to end and the video has to come out in orde to make the album available for more people.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2009, 09:12:10 PM »

no that isn't what I said. I said I like the guitars on songs not named Catcher or This I Love.  I just don't like IRS period... Riad is ok..

I thought you hated the majority of the guitar playing on it....

for me, it sounds like standard, normal drumming u would hear on 99 percent of music.

I guess your own songs falls under that 1%?  Wink

Did you ever think that the drumming isn't supposed to be the things you described? Because then it would "take away" from the songs?

Maybe Tommy Lee's drums are mixed high because they don't have an Axl Rose singing or Buckethead, Bumblefoot, Richard Fortus, Robin Finck, Paul Tobias or even Axl on guitar? Maybe they need to bring Tommy Lee's drums up in the mix to hide all the rest that their songs lack?

Maybe GN'R don't have to....

And obviously Appetite was mixed to give it a certain sound.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
clau68
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2009, 09:25:18 PM »

I really love this interview. I don?t think Axl and Slash were a Magic Duo. I consider more special Axl and Izzy. People have made more important this relationship than it really was. I think that Axl and Slash were partners in one stage of their life but sometimes the differences between people are really important. I think that Izzy was more important for Axl because they were friends when they were teenagers but I think that the relationship with Slash wasn?t very deep. I always appreciate Axl?s honesty. It would be horrible that he made a reunion with Slash just to please the fans. On the other hands I think CD is an impressive album. Sales are not equal to quality (examples Shakira, Britney Spears, New Kids on the Block). CD is a very deep album. I think that Appetite and CD are both wonderful album, just different and that?s normal because they were made in different stage of the life. Maybe AFD was an album that feed the rebel of young and maybe for this was such massive success. Now Axl is older, the kids that enjoy AFD (like me) are older and for me is better now listening an album like CD than to listen AFD2. Anyway I am happy to read words from Axl mouth and I hope that he continues making very good music no matter if is a commercial success or not.
Classic Case
Rocker

I know that I'm a classic case

« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2009, 09:29:24 PM »

"A lot of people have not heard about Chinese Democracy's release. We know it because we were looking for news on it everyday. But the average music listener has no access to CD. The best buy deal has to end and the video has to come out in orde to make the album available for more people"

AGREE WITH YOU!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #117 on: February 06, 2009, 09:38:40 PM »

That's my point Jarmo. It isn't a slight on the drummers, but to say the drumming on CD is like this marvelous amazing thing and Adler and Appetite drumming is somehow all of a sudden substandard is just ridiculous.

I try to be honest, non objective and just speak the truth. I'm not gonna say something is amazing just to try and kiss ass and make people think im a "Fan" or whatever the hell that means.

Instead of insults, I am a pretty reasonable person, someone could just say

Hey, I don't agree, U should check out If The World 2 minutes in, it has a nice fill and a kick drum, hi hat, snare pattern

but no, cause the only comeback anyone has, is some stupid personal shot at me, which is hilarious considering u are insulting a drum machine I used 8 years ago and not me. Wink

Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #118 on: February 06, 2009, 09:46:41 PM »

u are insulting a drum machine
Drum machines have feelings to damn it!  Tongue

Nice read, good to hear about the writing of videos, I'm sure the Better one will be a joy to watch!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2009, 09:58:12 PM »

That's my point Jarmo. It isn't a slight on the drummers, but to say the drumming on CD is like this marvelous amazing thing and Adler and Appetite drumming is somehow all of a sudden substandard is just ridiculous.

Did I say that?

I happen to like both albums, a lot.

I try to be honest, non objective and just speak the truth.

Non-objective? I don't believe that.

The truth? According to who?

You're talking about PERSONAL opinions. Is your opinion the so called truth? Not really...

I'm not gonna say something is amazing just to try and kiss ass and make people think im a "Fan" or whatever the hell that means.

Of course not.

Especially if it's GN'R.  Tongue

Instead of insults, I am a pretty reasonable person, someone could just say

Hey, I don't agree, U should check out If The World 2 minutes in, it has a nice fill and a kick drum, hi hat, snare pattern

but no, cause the only comeback anyone has, is some stupid personal shot at me, which is hilarious considering u are insulting a drum machine I used 8 years ago and not me. Wink

Insult?

You're not the only one who can be honest, speak the truth and be objective.

So suddenly it's an insult to say that the drums on your own songs aren't anything special?

But when you say the same about GN'R, it's just you being honest..... Hypocritical?

If you can't hear the amazing musicianship on Chinese Democracy, it's your loss.

It would be stupid to try to dissect the whole album for little drum fills because all you need to is to listen to it and forget the "it's not Appetite For Destruction!  Cry " attitude.

/jarmo

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: