Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 03:17:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228102 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  does chinese demcoracy make gnr cool to your parents?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: does chinese demcoracy make gnr cool to your parents?  (Read 7287 times)
falungong69
Rocker

« on: January 26, 2009, 05:07:57 PM »

my parents HATE metal and hard rock.  they like more easy listening, laid back stuff.  so needless to say they don't like pretty much everything i listen to... gnr, nin, metallica, korn, etc...   but one thing i've noticed is that they can actually get into some of chinese democracy!

the other day i was like, 'okay mom... just listen to this without knowing who it is' and i put on some of the best songs from chinese democracy... street of dreams, madagascar, and this i love.  she listened while doing the laundry, and was tapping her foot and humming along.  after months and months of me constantly arguing with her about how great gnr is, she finally broke down and admitted that some of the new songs were okay.  so now she's fine if i put a couple of the slower songs on a mix cd for when we're driving around together.  it's cool how this special music has brought us closer together.

i remember when axl said that this album would have something for everyone and boy is he right.  he's really taken this music in so many more great and amazing directions that even someone like my mom who pretty much only listens to broadway music and frank sinitra and barbra streisand can still find something to like about it.  i think that is the mark of a true musical genius that axl is.

maybe they need to broaden who they are marketing this album to.  sure, rock stations will absolutely love the title track and also things like shackler's revenge and irs.  but maybe they shouldn't just narrowly try and sell this music to old school rock fans with mullets.  maybe they should push some of the ballads on adult contemporary stations or softer rock stations.  instead of just trying to sell this album to one kind of audience maybe they should embrace the fact that it has "something for everybody!"
bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 05:14:16 PM »

Nah, my parents will never dig GN'R, regardless of the abundance of ballad material on CD...  My mom used to get into Paradise City back in the day tho...  Said it reminded her of the Stones.

On another note, you mentioned in another post that sometimes you need to pull to the side of the road when certain songs are on because you get too emotional...  Do you do that when you and your mom are driving around?  And is she concerned???  Just wonderin' ...
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 05:16:37 PM »

Nah, my parents will never dig GN'R, regardless of the abundance of ballad material on CD...  My mom used to get into Paradise City back in the day tho...  Said it reminded her of the Stones.

On another note, you mentioned in another post that sometimes you need to pull to the side of the road when certain songs are on because you get too emotional...  Do you do that when you and your mom are driving around?  And is she concerned???  Just wonderin' ...

ha ha, no way man.  i would never let my mom see me crying to gnr.  she'd probably worry about me!  i only do that when i'm alone.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 07:09:15 PM »

My Mom has always dug GN'R. I actually took her to one of the shows in 2006. One of the most fun nights I have had with my mom and was a great bonding night. My Dad cannot fucking stand Axl and I have no idea why. He gets this weird hatred for things sometimes that he can't really explain so he says things like uh, I can't stand his voice. He gets this same anger toward Howard, and says shit that makes no sense to me especially considering he has never listened to one of his shows. Anyway, unfortunately Chinese Democracy has not made GN'R cool to my Dad. I know he would love these songs if they were by some other band and sung by pretty much any other singer but Axl. Really lame.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
dont_damn_me
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 07:59:39 PM »

ha ha, no way man.  i would never let my mom see me crying to gnr.  she'd probably worry about me!  i only do that when i'm alone.

Classic falungong69......poster of the year!! your hilarious man!!....funniest threads and comments!!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 10:07:41 PM by dont_damn_me » Logged
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 09:06:57 PM »

um..how old are you guys?  Like, really young?   

I'm 47.   Shocked   I have a son who's 23. 

I don't know where you come from or who your parents are, but you don't need to convince me to listen to GnR. 

Just sayin'.
Classic Case
Rocker

I know that I'm a classic case

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 10:17:15 PM »

for my parents GNR is just the band I love, thats it, they know the songs cuz I used to play them all day long and usually to the highest volume possible, and Im talkin bout AFD and the illusions, cuz Im 37 and obviusly Im not livin w them anymore, I think they dont even know CD was release, but......my son (hes 15) is a huge fan , and I can say GNR make us closer cuz we can go in the car and put GNR and sing and jamm on the road, its awsome, as a parent I love anything that put me closer to my son, and GNR do it, cuz its hard for a parent to have a close relationship to a teenager u know.....thats why i love my band! peace
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 12:04:21 AM »

Many of us are parents and turned our kids on to GnR... Cool

But my folks? A little too old for all that...

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
seely
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 08:12:01 AM »

I played my dad a bit of This I Love recently, he just laughed

I think pushing all the ballads may attract some listeners, as the ballads here are undeniably great, but it may also put off a lot of people who associate GNR with stuff like Welcome To The Jungle, You Could Be Mine, e.t.c.

(\__/)
(O.o )
( > < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this attached message into your signature to help him on his quest for world domination.

----------------------------------------------------
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 09:33:51 AM »

Many of us are parents and turned our kids on to GnR... Cool

But my folks? A little too old for all that...
That us.  Our kids have grown up with it, my mom loves CD and she is almost 67.  I'ts not like she had a choice she has lived with us quite a bit over the years off and on, so she had it drilled into her.  I would say my mom knows quite a bit about the prev line up and the current,  she has been a very supportive listener.  Mom's are great love

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 09:46:31 AM »

Well my dad got me to listen to GNR back in 1987. We were watching MTV and a commercial came on with video montages of Bon Jovi, Def Lepard, George Michael and Guns N' Roses. When GNR came on, he told me that's a band that I should check out. A few days later, I listened and became a fan. I played CD for my dad recently and he liked it.
bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 10:01:45 AM »

Classic falungong69......poster of the year!! your hilarious man!!....funniest threads and comments!!

Ditto to that !!! Keep the posts coming falungong I love reading them!!!
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 10:09:22 AM »

I played my dad a bit of This I Love recently, he just laughed

I think pushing all the ballads may attract some listeners, as the ballads here are undeniably great, but it may also put off a lot of people who associate GNR with stuff like Welcome To The Jungle, You Could Be Mine, e.t.c.

well i for one think axl would be fine not having a bunch of beer-swilling redneck mullet heads for fans.  maybe in the future axl could play at places like carnegie hall instead of a normal concert venue.  after all ,the new music has symphonies in it. 
-Rob-
Banned
Rocker

Here Today ...

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 11:46:03 AM »

i know exactly what you mean, fg69. my grandma, margie lou, just recently moved into my apartment because of some personal issues that recently came up. at first, she was constantly getting on me because of how often i was playing the album (sometime 5-6 times a night). she was joking with me about being "obsessed"  with it.

now, it's only a couple weeks later, and i catch her singing along to some of the songs with me. especially 'street of dreams' and 'this i love.'  she even commented how the songs can really grow on you. maybe in another few weeks, she'll be as down with 'shackler' & 'rhiad' as i am.

here's the real cool part. my grandma has been watching the game show, jeopardy, religiously for years. every night at 7pm for as long as i can remember. the other night i was jamming out to the album and right before 7pm i commented that i would put my headphones on so she could hear her favorite show. her response floored me. she told me not to worry about it. she said that she didnt mind listening to it while she watched her show. so, i guess axl was right. there definitely is something for everyone on this album.  Cheesy
Axlspants
Rocker

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 12:55:46 PM »

My mum prefers Kings of Leon
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 01:03:11 PM »

um..how old are you guys?  Like, really young?   

I'm 47.   Shocked   I have a son who's 23. 

I don't know where you come from or who your parents are, but you don't need to convince me to listen to GnR. 

Just sayin'.

Yeah, I'm 34.  My kids are 2,4,and 6....and they DO like GnR. 

My mom??  Not gonna be lovin' GnR anytime soon.  She's happier with her Beatles, Stones, etc......

Smiley

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Hammer1
Headliner

GNR Fan

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 01:40:19 PM »

This is such a cute thread.... Smiley

Been a fan since 89 - seen them  3 times in T.O and Hammerstein, and Ottawa and Hamilton (front row most times)....I am 39 and my boys are 15 and 11  - they have been born and raised on GNR - litterally had UYI played non- stop while in- UTERO....ha ha.  They know everything about GNR and saw the concert in T.O in 2006. 

As a matter of fact the 11 year old  - had me print off a Wikipedia page for GNR this morning before school so he could do a project for Music (without my prompting).  They love all the top 40 stuff - but they were raised knowing that GNR is/was the best rock band in the last 20 years.

My mother who is 61 has sweet child (original verison) as her ring tone!

Funny story I was in Malibu/LA with my boys this summer - and with all the sight - seeing we did - they were the ones asking if we could drive by AXL's house, over and over again.....to be honest I was shocked I thought I would have had them saying "mom, can we go to the beach again"... Shocked

Can't imagine not experiencing all the Guns drama without the kids along the way!....I think its pretty cool when my son  wears his GNR shirts to school and when a kid says "GNR sucks" - he feels so confidant to say "you have no idea what you are talking about, wait and you will see one day!" 

Rock  n Roll is nothing like it use to be and the fact that my kids have been able to see an amazing front man like AXL in concert is great !! ok

Shackler
Headliner

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 02:04:52 PM »

I'm 14, I havent let my parents listen to it, but if GnR go on tour, I wouldnt mind goin with my dad, cuz I know that he'd be impressed and I hope they do Knockin on heavens door, cuz I know he likes that song, and Id love to c his face wen Axl screams it. lol

If I have kids they'll def b raised on gnr Cheesy

Like the tides done on the ocean, the waves already set in motion, the only one in this game that's lost is you!!!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 03:27:13 PM »

Yes. Definitely.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 03:33:32 PM »

my Mom is vary narrow minded she loves Led Zepplin a lot but i think she really likes There Was A Time

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: