Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 07:30:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Metallica make offer to tour with Guns N' Roses
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Metallica make offer to tour with Guns N' Roses  (Read 81473 times)
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #140 on: January 22, 2009, 01:34:18 PM »

And I really don't think you can just step out of the limelight for 17 years, and then expect to be headlining all over again.  Gnr has to do some work to get back to the top, and if that includes playing with Metallica then they should jump at the chance.

Did you miss the 2006 North American tour?

It was about two years ago.

And they headlined festival in Europe that summer.

On top of that, they played arenas in Mexico, Australia, New Zealand and Japan in 2007.

/jarmo

I think he meant headlining over Metallica.  That is the topic.
don_vercetti
VIP

Oui Oui, motherfuckers...

« Reply #141 on: January 22, 2009, 01:37:02 PM »

And I really don't think you can just step out of the limelight for 17 years, and then expect to be headlining all over again.  Gnr has to do some work to get back to the top, and if that includes playing with Metallica then they should jump at the chance. 

Did you miss the 2006 North American tour?

It was about two years ago.

And they headlined festival in Europe that summer.

On top of that, they played arenas in Mexico, Australia, New Zealand and Japan in 2007.

/jarmo

I know that, but i'm fairly sure they didn't sell out most of those shows, other than in places like MSG?  And they were arenas, not stadiums. 
My point is, after touring with big bands of the time like Alice Cooper, Aerosmith in the 80's, they were able to sell out virtually every show on the UYI Stadium tour. 

This is not bashing in anyway, don't get me wrong.  But sales of CD have been somewhat underwhelming so I just think it would be good if they toured with a big band of the moment, to get their name out there as a band who are still fucking great.  And Metallica would be a great band to tour with. 

If you mod me now, I will become more insightful than you can possibly imagine
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #142 on: January 22, 2009, 01:51:21 PM »

Just look at this topic...Look at the strong and often heated opinions of some of the posters here!!! And Im sure the same heated opinions are held by Metallica fans...

Now, increase the number of heated GnR and Metallica fans by, lets say, 100 and then throw these 100 fans into a crowd of 20 to 40 thousand fans. Add to that the fact that most fans of either band will be easy to pick out due to T-shirts etc...and then throw in the fact that some fans will hurl insults at Metallica and others at GnR...

Can you imagine the powder keg that could potentially be??? It wouldnt take much to set off that bomb.

Now the riots that occured last time were bad enough, and that was fans attacking police and equipment...Imagine a brawl involving around 20,000 people!!!

Fuck that would be horrid. People would die for sure.

This is why, although Id love to see it, I seriously doubt it would happen, and if it did it wouldnt happen in mainland USA and maybe not even in some parts of Europe.

Interesting take.

I would agree. It has always been a love gn'r n' hate metallica or love metallica n' hate gn'r thing between those two bands for as long as i can remember. Even before they toured together the first time.

I'm into dangerous things so I would love for this to happen, but it would of course not be cool if someone died because of it.

I honestly don't see any substance in this tho. I mean, James and Axl on the same bill? Is all this really realistic? Doubht it...

I think the important thing to remember is that the bands and their fans are all 17 years older now than they were in 1992. I was 16 years old in 1992 and would have gladly mixed it up with any Metallica fans talking shit about GN'R. This time around (if they were to tour together again)- at 32/33 and with a wife to answer to and a job to go to in the morning- I'd probably just laugh, shake my head, and go back to enjoying the fact that I'm hearing "Prostitute" live for the first time ever in my life or whatever. I'm sure it would go that way for most fans of both bands these days too...

From the bands' perspective... I would expect they would both be focused on acting very professionally with one another this time around and making it "all about the music". My guess is that the '92 Tour leaves a bitter sweet taste in most of their mouths (and what could have been)... Here would finally be an opportunity to address it with a kick ass tour. Just my opinion though...

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #143 on: January 22, 2009, 01:52:46 PM »

I know that, but i'm fairly sure they didn't sell out most of those shows, other than in places like MSG?  And they were arenas, not stadiums. 
My point is, after touring with big bands of the time like Alice Cooper, Aerosmith in the 80's, they were able to sell out virtually every show on the UYI Stadium tour. 

This is not bashing in anyway, don't get me wrong.  But sales of CD have been somewhat underwhelming so I just think it would be good if they toured with a big band of the moment, to get their name out there as a band who are still fucking great.  And Metallica would be a great band to tour with. 

Touring with Alice Cooper and Aerosmith was GN'R touring with a bands they looked up to. Just like when they opened for the Rolling Stones.

Not sure if Metallica's core audience is the same as GN'R's.

You think they are open minded enough to embrace Chinese Democracy?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #144 on: January 22, 2009, 02:14:44 PM »

Touring with Alice Cooper and Aerosmith was GN'R touring with a bands they looked up to. Just like when they opened for the Rolling Stones.

/jarmo

No.

Like I said earlier in this thread, most of their fans are meatheads.

I love Metalliac, er, 'tallica, and they put on a fantastic show, but I could not wait to get the fuck out of the Forum when the show ended.  At that moment in time, the Forum was the cradle of idiocy.  Every bad "metal" stereotype was enforced to its fullest extent.

Tony even flattened a beer can with his forehead during the wait.
don_vercetti
VIP

Oui Oui, motherfuckers...

« Reply #145 on: January 22, 2009, 02:23:10 PM »

/jarmo

Ok but I'm sure to a certain extent they have respect for Metallica, and the fact those are bands they looked up to was a bonus.  They also toured with bands like The Cult, Iron Maiden (which I know they didn't enjoy) and Motley Crue who weren't really worshipped.  

They (or at least Axl) clearly understood that they had to go with Bands who were big at the time and played music of a similar type so as to gain exposure/popularity.

And the Metallica thing is the same theory today, they both basically play a form of Heavy Rock.  Guns N' Roses less so, and Metallica more so.  

And I have several friends who are more metallica lovers, and think Chinese Democracy is pretty good.  So on the strength of that, I'd say yes they are open minded enough.  When I went to see Metallica in September I was wearing my Gnr t-shirt and a lot of people spoke to me about Gnr, saying they'd love to see them again etc.  And Metallica (along with AC/DC) is one of the biggest heavy rock bands of today.

If you mod me now, I will become more insightful than you can possibly imagine
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #146 on: January 22, 2009, 02:42:12 PM »

Can't see it happening.

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #147 on: January 22, 2009, 03:26:06 PM »

they would be co-headlining w/ Metallica again..Going on last didn't make them the headliner in 1991..So I don't know why it would now..I'm still hopeing GN'R tour alone, as Jarmo pointed out, will the typical Metallica fan be open enough to CD?
If they do co-headline with I hope it's Aerosmith..Not sure if Aersmiths ego would let GN'R close out the show..And usually co-headlining means 2 90 min sets, instead of 2 hours...
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #148 on: January 22, 2009, 03:28:47 PM »

I take my last post regarding Aerosmith, back I would love a co-headlining tour w/ EXTREME.....They are more than More Than Words...Check them out...Saw them live last year, and they were incredible.....
Still I prefer GN'R w/ 1-2 openers.
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #149 on: January 22, 2009, 04:10:37 PM »

will the typical Metallica fan be open enough to CD?
What's a typical Metallica fan?  The irony there is you guys are the ones who sound closed- minded and a little pompous.   And why CD specifically?  Isnt CD Guns and Roses? Its the same band,right?  Why single out CD?  Guns N Roses is Guns N Roses according to some logic. And look at other bands who have opened for Metallica. Korn, Days of the New, Jerry Cantrell... And people were just fine with that.  As much as there is the tired Metallica vs. GnR debate, most fail to realize that the fan-base is very much the same.  The bottom line though, is that GnR is not a big enough attraction anymore to have Metallica open for them, as some have suggested. Even a co-headlining tour is pushing it, but some-what conceivable.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #150 on: January 22, 2009, 04:37:10 PM »

What's a typical Metallica fan? 

The same people who were upset when they cut their hair? Who didn't like St Anger?  Wink

Chinese Democracy isn't your basic metal record.

Korn opening for Metallica isn't weird. They're still considered metal.

Hell, even the Use Your Illusion albums are far from your typical metal record. Wink

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
y2marmar
Headliner

I love the chosen one...

« Reply #151 on: January 22, 2009, 04:44:35 PM »

Nothing GnR ever did after AFD could be considered "basic metal" or "typical" by any means. Thats what made them so legendary.

Jean Claude Jaquatee...because you know who you are...when you're you
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #152 on: January 22, 2009, 04:49:41 PM »

The same people who were upset when they cut their hair?

So a "typical" GnR fan then doesnt consider CD a GnR record, but an Axl solo record by that logic.  I hear just as many, if not more, fans making the "solo project" statement than there were fans upset about a hair-cut.   "Typical" does not mean "most vocal" or "bitchiest"

Korn opening for Metallica isn't weird. They're still considered metal.

True, they are metal, but were considered a different "flavor" when they were new. A taste where you would need an "open mind".   And you didnt address my other two examples, Days of the New and Jerry Cantrell.  I didnt even bring up bands like Kid Rock, Limp Bizcuit, Deftones, System, Lincoln Park, and other bands that a "typical" Metallica fan would be too closed minded to embrace.
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #153 on: January 22, 2009, 04:54:36 PM »

I would still say that there is songs on CD i will concider metal in a for or another.. maybe a new form..

So i dont concider that a problem

But then again, im not sure if every typical metallica fans will be open for CD. But some will and are..
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 04:56:50 PM by Nytunz » Logged

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #154 on: January 22, 2009, 04:57:16 PM »

So a "typical" GnR fan then doesnt consider CD a GnR record, but an Axl solo record by that logic.  I hear just as many, if not more, fans making the "solo project" statement than there were fans upset about a hair-cut.   "Typical" does not mean "most vocal" or "bitchiest"

True, there are GN'R fans who haven't moved on from 1987.

And you didnt address my other two examples, Days of the New and Jerry Cantrell.

Having Jerry open is like when Baz opened for GN'R. They helped out a friend.

GN'R seems to have a broader spectrum of opening acts. Anything from Weezer to Mixmaster Mike.... The latter didn't exactly go over that well.

My point is that I see GN'R have more in common with other acts than Metallica.

But it all depends what you're after.

Do you want to play for a crowd that you really have to fight to win over and even then it might fail?

Or do you wanna play for a crowd that might be easier to win over...

/jarmo

Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #155 on: January 22, 2009, 05:02:02 PM »

I think Metallica's way too big for even trying to define what the "typical" fan is like. It's like, what is a typical person who likes ice cream? Er... dunno? Cheesy

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #156 on: January 22, 2009, 05:06:57 PM »

True, there are GN'R fans who haven't moved on from 1987.
Are those "typical" GnR fans?
My point is that I see GN'R have more in common with other acts than Metallica.

But it all depends what you're after.

Do you want to play for a crowd that you really have to fight to win over and even then it might fail?

Or do you wanna play for a crowd that might be easier to win over...

/jarmo
I understand that. Whether they should or shouldnt play with Metallica wasnt my point. Although, like I said, the fan-base is more the same then some of you realize. Just look at Chinese Democracy on Itunes for example, "Listeners also bought:"  Death Magnetic is the first album listed.   I was more just arguing against what a "typical" Metallica fan is.  I actually do  think GnR would go over just fine if they played with Metallica, but they should definatly headline a tour of there own.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #157 on: January 22, 2009, 05:13:40 PM »

No idea.

I would hope not.  nervous

The funny thing is that you got GN'R fans who are into Poison. Personally I can't stand those clowns.

Then you got GN'R fans who like electronic music, rap and even Bon Jovi!

Which one is the typical fan?  hihi

/jarmo

falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #158 on: January 22, 2009, 05:17:48 PM »

it'll be awesome when a bunch of headbanging meatheads get to hear this i love live.  prepare for some massive converts to the church of axl!!!
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #159 on: January 22, 2009, 05:20:59 PM »

No idea.

I would hope not. 

The funny thing is that you got GN'R fans who are into Poison. Personally I can't stand those clowns.

Then you got GN'R fans who like electronic music, rap and even Bon Jovi!

Which one is the typical fan? 

/jarmo

Exactly my point. Although you used the term "core-audience" when you referred to Metallica. Its almost the same as saying "typical fan."
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: