Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 06:44:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Metallica make offer to tour with Guns N' Roses
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Metallica make offer to tour with Guns N' Roses  (Read 81392 times)
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2009, 03:11:12 PM »

The album sounds amazingly good....comparable to "...and Justice for All", IMHO.
You do realize that the production on AJFA was considered terrible, right?  The sound quality on that album is very thin with no bottom end.  And all the talk about DM sound quality is funny. W/o the internet telling you that it has bad audio quality, most listeners would never even notice.
Also, if the tour were to happen (it wont) Metallica would go on second. This aint 92 anymore.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2009, 03:16:35 PM »

Metallica is my #3 band.

But I don't want GN'R to have anything to do with them or their meathead fans.

This will never happen.

Most if not all people I know who like Metallica also like Guns N Roses...they have the same fan base...
-Rob-
Banned
Rocker

Here Today ...

« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2009, 03:37:17 PM »

personally, i think metallica just saw this as a chance to get garner easy media attention for themselves. if they were able to come up with new material that was half as good as 'chinese d', acting like wannabe attention whores wouldn't be such a necessity. (mainly directed at james h)

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2009, 03:41:56 PM »

personally, i think metallica just saw this as a chance to get garner easy media attention for themselves. if they were able to come up with new material that was half as good as 'chinese d', acting like wannabe attention whores wouldn't be such a necessity. (mainly directed at james h)

no, Metallica was asked the question by the media yesterday....and they answered it...
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2009, 03:42:10 PM »

doubt it Feng Shui. see the video.

Most if not all people I know who like Metallica also like Guns N Roses...they have the same fan base...

in America. or maybe depends on what age group.
bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2009, 03:42:22 PM »

Also, if the tour were to happen (it wont) Metallica would go on second. This aint 92 anymore.

So they'd be going on at like 4am then ...  Undecided
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2009, 03:47:42 PM »

I really believe that this is what prevents GNR from ever performing with any respectable group.  The complete inability to go onstage at a reasonable hour along with the fact that, like it or not, they have become a huge liability in the "biz"...I don't know many bands that like being associated with cancelled dates, possible riots, or failed tours.

It's a damn shame because it would be a lot of fun to see GN'R hit the road with some fun acts again.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2009, 03:49:26 PM »

well most of the people I know are 23-28 or so, and they all like both bands with the exception of 1 guy I know......I would imagine most of the older fans who were around to actually attend a GNR/Metallica show back in 1992 would feel the same way...It seems some are pissed that  Metallica went on to become the more successful "bigger" band after that, but that had nothing to do with quality of music, GNR never put anything out in the "Load" "Re-Load" era.....so to even compare the 2 is silly in the first place...I think GNR and Metallica are very comparable in sound, attitude and all that stuff...it is not like putting Metallica with a chick band like Poision or something like that...Metallica is not even heavy metal, they are hard rock, especially the last 4 or 5 albums....  Pantera and Slayer are heavy metal...
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2009, 04:42:41 PM »

I like 'em both. Yea, I said it. If push came to shove GN'R and Axl will win everytime for me but still. The shows with both bands back in the day were fun as fuck. Even the one that was the night before a Jewish holiday and Axl was pissed as hell at the fans. Fucking classic. Goddamn so many great memories of seeing Axl live. Anyway, I would love for this to happen. The only thing better would be for the Suicide Girls to open for GN'R again. What a fucking stroke of genius have those crazy bitches open a GNR show. Whores and RNR. I loved that, so fucking Rock N' Roll. A GN'R show feeling sleazy again after the UYI fiasco. Axl made me proud. The SG should open every show for GN'R. Way fucking cooler then Bach and Helmet combined.

So here's what I would suggest. The Suicide girls open the show, then Metallica, then bring it home with GN'R (performing every song off Chinese Democracy with a few classics thrown in). This would be the greatest show on earth.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2009, 04:59:43 PM »

And all the talk about DM sound quality is funny. W/o the internet telling you that it has bad audio quality, most listeners would never even notice.

I fail to see the correlation between the existance of the internet and an album having horrible production, detectable by anyone with a half decent set of ears.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2009, 05:06:34 PM »

I really believe that this is what prevents GNR from ever performing with any respectable group.  The complete inability to go onstage at a reasonable hour along with the fact that, like it or not, they have become a huge liability in the "biz"...I don't know many bands that like being associated with cancelled dates, possible riots, or failed tours.

It's a damn shame because it would be a lot of fun to see GN'R hit the road with some fun acts again.

It would seem this is what Axl was alluding to when he was posting online.  That he states he doesn't care where they play as long as they can come on at midnight but the label, promoters, et all involved that plans the tour where that is not possible and it ruins it--maybe I misread that?
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2009, 05:06:56 PM »

I like 'em both. Yea, I said it. If push came to shove GN'R and Axl will win everytime for me but still. The shows with both bands back in the day were fun as fuck. Even the one that was the night before a Jewish holiday and Axl was pissed as hell at the fans. Fucking classic. Goddamn so many great memories of seeing Axl live. Anyway, I would love for this to happen. The only thing better would be for the Suicide Girls to open for GN'R again. What a fucking stroke of genius have those crazy bitches open a GNR show. Whores and RNR. I loved that, so fucking Rock N' Roll. A GN'R show feeling sleazy again after the UYI fiasco. Axl made me proud. The SG should open every show for GN'R. Way fucking cooler then Bach and Helmet combined.

So here's what I would suggest. The Suicide girls open the show, then Metallica, then bring it home with GN'R (performing every song off Chinese Democracy with a few classics thrown in). This would be the greatest show on earth.

As much of a realist as I consider myself to be, and as much as I know this wont happen....Is it so far off for Axl to hop on his computer, watch them all agree that they loved CD and would not be opposed to touring again with GN'R and thinking "Ya know, that might be fun for this summer.  Maybe I should give Lars a call and see what he thinks."  Why can't he do that?  Why, lately, is every good idea avoided as if it's fucking aids with this band?  
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2009, 05:09:53 PM »

I fail to see the correlation between the existance of the internet and an album having horrible production, detectable by anyone with a half decent set of ears.
Not one person Ive talked to when we discuss DM has brought up the compressed sound production. Its only the guys who frequent message boards and want something to bitch about.

Metallica is not even heavy metal, they are hard rock, especially the last 4 or 5 albums....  Pantera and Slayer are heavy metal...

Metallica IS heavy metal. The Black album is the epitome of metal. The went away from the "thrash" stuff for a while, but not metal.   Load and Re-load delved into other areas.  Blues-ier rock, acoustic stuff. But they never stopped being a metal band.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2009, 05:11:38 PM »

Metallica is my #3 band.

But I don't want GN'R to have anything to do with them or their meathead fans.

This will never happen.

They only like AFD if anything.  And those are the more "open-minded" 'tallica fans.

OMG a piano!  Burn the heretic!

An album that took 15 years, lulz!

When I went to the Metallica show last month, I felt like i had stepped into the cradle of idiocy.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2009, 05:33:09 PM »

Not one person Ive talked to when we discuss DM has brought up the compressed sound production. Its only the guys who frequent message boards and want something to bitch about.

My Dad barely knows what a message board is, and even he could tell there was something clearly wrong with the production of the album..

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2009, 05:56:05 PM »

Metallica IS heavy metal. The Black album is the epitome of metal. The went away from the "thrash" stuff for a while, but not metal.   Load and Re-load delved into other areas.  Blues-ier rock, acoustic stuff. But they never stopped being a metal band.

The black album is the main reason why they are NOT heavy metal any longer...that is a hard rock record...now "Master of Puppets" can be called the epitome of metal...
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2009, 06:07:29 PM »

It's all rock n roll to me....

Axl is God.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2009, 07:25:15 PM »

well most of the people I know are 23-28 or so, and they all like both bands with the exception of 1 guy I know......I would imagine most of the older fans who were around to actually attend a GNR/Metallica show back in 1992 would feel the same way...It seems some are pissed that  Metallica went on to become the more successful "bigger" band after that, but that had nothing to do with quality of music, GNR never put anything out in the "Load" "Re-Load" era.....so to even compare the 2 is silly in the first place...I think GNR and Metallica are very comparable in sound, attitude and all that stuff...it is not like putting Metallica with a chick band like Poision or something like that...Metallica is not even heavy metal, they are hard rock, especially the last 4 or 5 albums....  Pantera and Slayer are heavy metal...

As some one who saw a few of the '92 shows- they were a nice compliment to each other (on stage at least). Metallica (back then) was the consistent blue collar "plug in and play" biker/trucker band that tore shit up night after night. GN'R was the unpredictable "larger than life" world's biggest rock band of mega stars. Axl, Slash and Duff were all world famous celebrities and the music was grandiose on a Led Zeppelin/Pink Floyd scale. It was an "explosive" (no pun intended) combination. hihi

Things have certainly changed since then. Metallica went "corporate" with their hair cuts, changing musical style and suing of fans IMHO. Guns N' Roses went AWOL and (rightly or wrongly) their shows are basically viewed as kind of a "unicorn" or "big foot" sighting type event now IMHO (in the US at least). That said- who cares- the music by both bands still fucking rocks and it would be the tour of the Summer of 2009 (no doubt). I think they should man up and do this as a way of "giving back" to rock music and as a way of possibly setting the stage for a rock revival for younger bands. peace

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2009, 07:36:53 PM »

Yeah.

Wonder if this "news" became such a big deal because of the history.

Because the bands are supposed to hate each other.

/jarmo

I assumed it was all water under the bridge after Lars performed with the band in 2006.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #119 on: January 17, 2009, 12:37:15 AM »

Yeah.

Wonder if this "news" became such a big deal because of the history.

Because the bands are supposed to hate each other.

/jarmo

I assumed it was all water under the bridge after Lars performed with the band in 2006.

And with Axl thanking Lars and Metallica on Chinese Democracy. My guess is that it IS water under the bridge for the most part- but that it doesn't necessarily mean they're in a real hurry to hit the road together again...

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: