Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2024, 09:51:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228077 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  would you stop being friends with somone who makes fun of gnr?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: would you stop being friends with somone who makes fun of gnr?  (Read 20164 times)
falungong69
Rocker

« on: December 30, 2008, 12:17:15 AM »

i have some older friends who grew up with gnr back in the mullet-head days.  they make fun of me all the time for supporting the new band and believing in this amazing, beautiful new music.  they can only understand simple blues rock and think it's still 1988.  so they tease me all the time.  it's actually gotten worse since the album came out.  i want it to stop, but they just keep at it, hammering me on the same old things over and over again.

outside of gnr, we're great friends and have fun together.  i'm always dependable about giving people rides, and i'm happy to let people borrow money if they need it.  but i've honestly had just about enough of the bullshit picking on gnr and chinese democracy. 

so is it okay to break up with friends over a band?  it seems silly and all, but really it's deeper than that.  to me, they seem like the major problem with society -- people who refuse to move on from the past and try to judge a book by its cover.  i don't know... maybe i'll calm down later, but lately i'm asking myself, 'why be friends with people who make fun of great music?'
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 12:28:18 AM »

Is this for real?  This is a joke right?

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 12:33:01 AM »

no joke.  i actually have quite  few friends (assholes) that don't like the new album.
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 12:45:07 AM »

Don't let it get to ya man, I have some friends like that its that their mad at Slash for being a sellout and leaving GnR.  I say Slash who ?  welcome ladies and gentlemen Mr. Robin Finck.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 12:48:22 AM »

If I were only friends with people who liked the new band over the old band I would only have 1 or 2 friends...I have been hearing the "Chinese Democracy" taunts for the past decade...it is what it is...most friends I have like "Chinese Democracy" or at least think its o.k, but they still prefer the old stuff hands down...you have to give it time...this album has been out for 1 month...the old stuff has had 20 years to grow on people..I wouldnt write any friends off over it....The bottom line is I have been telling all my friends about how great the next GNR album was going to be and I was right...that is all that matters... ok
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 12:54:47 AM »

No, people can like or dislike whatever they want.    I have friends who don't listen to any rock music at all.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 01:00:27 AM »

I used to make music with a friend who used to piss me off by saying GNR (but axl especially) sucked and how axl had the most annoying voice ever.
He knew I love gnr's music and used it to hurt my lil feelings hihi rant

Needless to say I dont make music with him anymore and ever since I left ze motherland I hardly ever speak to him.

Of course it wasnt all because of GNR. He started behaving like a pretentious prick and the music he made suffered because of it.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 01:37:02 AM »

Nobody I know likes gnr the way I do. I'm the coolest smartest motherfucker over here hihi

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 02:20:31 AM »

most of my asshole friends always do that but its not all the time like yours i'm guessing just make fun of them for something else like if they're fat or ugly or something. if you counter their shit with something else thats better they'll hush quick.

when i'm with my friends they like to listen to rap so i just try to mimick what ever rap song in playing and most of the time i just get threaten a punch in the face and thats it.

don't let'em bother you but also don't be a lil' bitch about things, stand up and fire back with something. I find your mom jokes work fine Tongue or grandmother jokes, whatever floats your boat.

peace

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 02:45:22 AM »

Personal time. We, my wife and I, had really good friends who we did lots of things together. I was the best man at their wedding, my wife was the main bridesmaid (Matron of honor I think its called). Hung out almost every weekend. My kids even called them like Aunt _____. They were our best friends. I hope that paints the correct image. Actually they were pretty much our only real friends.

We just had a big falling out over politics no less, last October. We were, and continue to be, big Barack Obama fans. Donated to his campaign, worked for him making calls to swing states. Seriously hardcore fans. Our "friends" talked some shit about Barack. They talked shit and were voting for McCain and Palin. It got crazy. They were over one day when my parents were over. My mom is a big Barack supporter as well, and they went at it. The next day I wrote them a letter expressing my sentiments, and that led us to "stop being friends" even to this day. Years of a friendship just crashed and burned. My wife still feels awful about the whole fucking thing. I am still bitter and my "I don't give a fuck" defense mechanism is in full gear.

So, I don't know. I guess this topic isn't that crazy. At least not to me who is going through something similar. What a bitch.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 04:01:49 AM »

no joke.  i actually have quite  few friends (assholes) that don't like the new album.

Doesn't sound like you like them that much anyway.

And there goes the challenger...
Meanmachine22
Rocker

Trust me it's worth the waiting...

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 04:41:40 AM »

If i'd stop beeing friends with anybody who makes fun of GNR i would not have a lot of friends.
GNR is such a easy target for silly jokes    Roll Eyes

I actually would have to get rid of my girlfriend because she always imitates Axl and makes funny voices while singing SORRY  hihi

on topic : A band should not be an indicator for a friendship

"when i say the time is right..well, than the time is right fuckhead!"
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 05:44:38 AM »

I don't have many friends now, boy that list would get short!

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 06:35:51 AM »

When you're a little bit older, you'll look back on this thread and laugh that you actually made it

But for now, take this advicce from your true twisted soul mates

Never mention Gnr to them again, don't even bring it up. When they slag on you, just smile that weird smile of yours , nod your head and say something like " They said the Son of Sam was crazy too "

When you're listening to this album, the thought of your "friends" or anyone or anything else should not be allowed to enter your mental hemisphere. The music is there for you - nothing else should ever interfere

The Prez
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 07:54:11 AM »

If you like GN'R like it is today, stand up and say it to those fuckers  hihi. They will respect that.
Never give up friends for taste of music.... everybody has somehow a different taste or a look a things, thank god otherwise life would be boring!

There is a difference between the opinion of the majority and the thruth...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 08:11:39 AM »

I'd disown my mother if she dissed Chinese Democracy

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 08:14:21 AM »

Back in the day I was driving a friend home and a GNR song came on the radio.  He started making fun of them so I stopped the car and had him get out and walk.  We were both joking, sort of, he only had to walk a couple of minutes as we had already made it to his street, though he didn't get curbside service.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 08:27:55 AM »

Yeah, I get disappointed when my friends don't like it.

I remember going over to my band mates house and they spinning the fuck out of AFD on Vinyl

i told them i had some new songs and they were excited.

I played them and they gave me the face like they just smelled something bad and weren't interested in any of them....

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Deb Rose
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 08:30:15 AM »

Don't let it get to ya man, I have some friends like that its that their mad at Slash for being a sellout and leaving GnR.  I say Slash who ?  welcome ladies and gentlemen Mr. Robin Finck.

Oh yeah baby   ok

I've got an itchy finger
And there'll be hell to pay
I?m gonna pull the trigger
And blow them all away
otgm
Opening Act

Personal text

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 08:53:17 AM »

most of my asshole friends always do that but its not all the time like yours i'm guessing just make fun of them for something else like if they're fat or ugly or something. if you counter their shit with something else thats better they'll hush quick.

when i'm with my friends they like to listen to rap so i just try to mimick what ever rap song in playing and most of the time i just get threaten a punch in the face and thats it.

don't let'em bother you but also don't be a lil' bitch about things, stand up and fire back with something. I find your mom jokes work fine Tongue or grandmother jokes, whatever floats your boat.

peace

How old are you? 9?

Been hidin' out and layin' low
It's nuthin' new ta me
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: