Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2024, 10:04:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228077 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Dr Pepper bitchslapped
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr Pepper bitchslapped  (Read 43602 times)
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2008, 03:06:42 PM »

I may be being stupid but how is it possible to spend $120 on Dr P and then say you were misled by their promotional campaign? They did say "one" free can to every person.

Anyway, now that the wait for CD is over, this situation should keep us entertained. GNR vs Dr Pepper. Grin

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2008, 03:54:34 PM »

From a business standpoint, GnR should sue them

Dr. Pepper used GnR's name and notoriety to promote their own product without permission, made a guarantee tied to GnR, then failed to deliver on their guarantee which in a "guilty by association" sense made Guns look bad even though they weren't involved in the promotion

Their free soda offer was a joke because they "delivered" it in such a way that most people couldn't even sign up for the coupon
riotact_vancity
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #102 on: November 27, 2008, 04:45:32 PM »

Imagine how much revenue ($$$) GNR fans have generated for Dr. Pepper in the last 8 MONTHS since Axl acknowledged this promotion.  Dr. Pepper owes us what they promised!!!

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/news/shownews.php?newsid=1878

This is correct. I myself spent over $120 in the last week on Dr Pepper misled by their "promotional campaign" supposedly supporting the release of CD. That's money I otherwise would have never spent on the nasty drink. I imagine thousands of other GN'R fans may be in a similar situation. When you add it up, the damages become substantial.

It may be also that Dr Pepper misled the GN'R camp too into rushing the release of the record and therefore not execute the perfect delivery as is evident from the booklet problems and the not too well planned promotional campaign. GN'R would have never wanted to deprive 300M Americans from what was rightfully theirs to collect.

$120 on dr pepper? and you dont even like the drink? uhmmm....

It was for work. I wanted to raise awareness of the CD release. Since I couldn't really afford to buy 300+ CD copies of the album for my co-workers I decided to go with Dr Pepper misled by their national support for the release. I still reached to every one of my co-workers and I don't regret that part at all. However,  I do feel cheated by the fact that I've at same time supported the sales of a soda company that misused the GN'R name for their own profit while failing to deliver on their promise.

raise awareness of the CD release? do you work for them? was the promise of a monumental campaign not enough? And how does handing out Dr Pepper promote GnR? Like, okay, they made that announcement a while back, but they never did commercials or ads for it as far as i know. The only way i knew about was here and a small blurb in the newspaper, which is only slightly less than what the official CD promo was...point being, you then have to explain that GnR's album is coming out AND why the hell Dr Pepper means anything relative to that...
riotact_vancity
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #103 on: November 27, 2008, 04:48:59 PM »

So people started all of a sudden buying Dr. Pepper because of this?

That's kinda pathetic.
First of all, it's not pathetic.  Secondly, it wasn't all of a sudden.  Roll Eyes

I'll type slow so maybe you can follow the logic .....

you're a GNR fan ... you're all excited about the SOON-TO-BE-RELEASED CHINESE DEMOCRACY ... you go to the store to buy some soda and there on the shelf, along side all the other brands, is dr. pepper ... you pick up whatever brand(s) you usually buy and ALSO grab some dr. pepper with a smile in your heart because you THINK that they, LIKE YOU, are CELEBRATING GUNS N' ROSES!!!

but was there a GnR advert next to the Dr Pepper? would anyone have known why you were buying DP, like they might have surmised if they had a picture of Axl on it, as a well done campaign would have had? no, because A) it wasnt as ad campaign, as far as i know, and GnR was tacitly approving of the free publicity by not suing in the first place and B) GnRs management decided not to take full advantage of the free publicity
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #104 on: November 27, 2008, 05:17:05 PM »

Dr Pepper promised a drink to every US citizen bar two. If that does not happen, then let the Gods do their damage.

I just hope for them it was not one coupon per household. If that is the case, then  nervous

A good jockey always checks the horses he rides.
chriskon72
Rocker

Thus spake the Super-Guru...Did you hear that?

« Reply #105 on: November 27, 2008, 08:00:17 PM »

Well they weren't selling Dr.Pepper at the liquor store when I was there. Thank God and could care less, we are talking about a can of soda for 55 cents! Wow! what a rowdy bunch of GNR fans you are! (those who are complaining of course).

What happened to..."one for you, two for me, by tonight". I bought some Champagne and Scotch and Beer for my listening party. There was no need for mr. pepper.

I think GNR and their whole team should be focusing on the monumental campaign we are all still waiting for. And not bitchslapping soda companies.

20.05.88 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
07.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
08.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
28.05.92 Kanstatterwasen, Stuttgart
26.06.93 Olympiastadion, Munich
07.04.10 Figali, Panama
Jeramy
Rocker

« Reply #106 on: November 27, 2008, 08:37:01 PM »

yea,  i saw this coming the other day... when i couldn't get my free drink.  i believe the only reason dr. pepper even attempted the whole online registration thing (knowing the demand would be too much and crash the site) was to get out as cheap as possible and attempt to avoid any legal trouble with the band by making it seem like they were honoring their deal

they knew exactly what the result would be

It is a 50 cent can of pop. I find it hard to take a poster seriously who refers to VR as Homo Rock. You know that 2 of those "homos" helped to build GNR right? Of course, dissing them clearly makes you a bigger GNR fan right  Roll Eyes

They extended the offer and gave out an 800 number. What the fuck do you want them to do? Knock on every door and hand deliver a can of pop. The line in the GNR letter about this  taking away from the release date is laughable. So you are gonna let a 50 cent can of pop take away from the enjoyment of ChiDem? Please.

for the record that was a scott weiland diss and vr still suck
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 08:38:32 PM by Jeramy » Logged

"He's in my band, that's where Slash is, fuckhead. Go home!"
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #107 on: November 27, 2008, 10:13:55 PM »

LMAO WOW

i'm sorry but that article was funny, They use the G'n'R name to get awareness of their product, if anything it was the other way around to let people know "hey G'n'R are still out there and they have an all new really bad ass thing coming out".

However, i don't think that it was right that their lawyer totally belittled Dr Pepper like that since they got all that free publicity out of them. I think him and the G'n'R camp should have came together and thought of a letter to send to them publicly saying how thankful they are for the free publicity but that they don' think it was right that most fans haven't been able to recieve their free drink or something like that instead of totally bitch slapping Dr Pepper like the lawyer did.

peace

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
LordRazZ
VIP

I haven't updated this section in years. Tada.

« Reply #108 on: November 27, 2008, 10:16:21 PM »

Did Axl really need to drop a lawsuit though? I mean, I love the whole apology thing. It makes me think that he's really stickin his neck out for us. It's like saying "you dissed my family..now say you're sorry"

But really, I don't think the monetary suit is necessary. We've had enough lawsuits for a lifetime.

But in all seriousness? Thanks Uncle Axl. We love you too man

The last time I edited my signature, I still had ICQ.  That's crazy.
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #109 on: November 27, 2008, 10:24:40 PM »

That's kinda pathetic.
First of all, it's not pathetic.  Secondly, it wasn't all of a sudden.  Roll Eyes

you're a GNR fan ... you're all excited about the SOON-TO-BE-RELEASED CHINESE DEMOCRACY ... you go to the store to buy some soda and there on the shelf, along side all the other brands, is dr. pepper ... you pick up whatever brand(s) you usually buy and ALSO grab some dr. pepper with a smile in your heart because you THINK that they, LIKE YOU, are CELEBRATING GUNS N' ROSES!!!

but was there a GnR advert next to the Dr Pepper? would anyone have known why you were buying DP, like they might have surmised if they had a picture of Axl on it, as a well done campaign would have had? no, because A) it wasnt as ad campaign, as far as i know, and GnR was tacitly approving of the free publicity by not suing in the first place and B) GnRs management decided not to take full advantage of the free publicity

dude, they tricked us into thinking they supported axl and chinese demcoracy when really they were just having fun.  i get so much shit from my friends for being a gnr fan.  i was really excited to think that there was  finally a major company that was being supportive of me and the artists i admire.  so i responded in kind by buying tons of the soda.  i don't even like soda.  but i made sure to always have plenty of dr. pepper's on hand when my friends came over.  and every time i served dr. pepper, i got to segue the conversation to gnr...  we talked about the new songs and how brian may and lars ulrich said really great stuff about axl and the new music.  so they were kinda almost convinced to buy the cd.  as you can see, it had a whole lot to do with dr. pepper.  so that morning, when they tried to get their free soda  (in addition to the free ones i gave them over the months) they just said fuck it all.
aribeth69
Opening Act

« Reply #110 on: November 27, 2008, 10:28:36 PM »

I don't care i don't need a free Dr. pepper i got the CD i been waiting so long for and i have a 21 month old son who bounces to the songs and shares gnr with me so to me that is all i ever need.
plasmabeam
Rocker

"There livin' fast and they'll die young!"

« Reply #111 on: November 27, 2008, 11:37:23 PM »

That's it, Sorry is about Dr. Pepper.

hihi

I kicked your ass like I said that I would

I've worked too hard for my illusions
Just to throw them all away
riotact_vancity
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #112 on: November 27, 2008, 11:48:26 PM »

That's kinda pathetic.

dude, they tricked us into thinking they supported axl and chinese demcoracy when really they were just having fun.  i get so much shit from my friends for being a gnr fan.  i was really excited to think that there was  finally a major company that was being supportive of me and the artists i admire.  so i responded in kind by buying tons of the soda.  i don't even like soda.  but i made sure to always have plenty of dr. pepper's on hand when my friends came over.  and every time i served dr. pepper, i got to segue the conversation to gnr...  we talked about the new songs and how brian may and lars ulrich said really great stuff about axl and the new music.  so they were kinda almost convinced to buy the cd.  as you can see, it had a whole lot to do with dr. pepper.  so that morning, when they tried to get their free soda  (in addition to the free ones i gave them over the months) they just said fuck it all.

in the context of you, who cares if some company supports Axl?

and you need a prop to segue a convo towards something you want to talk about? wallflower much?

since it wasnt a band-corporation tie in, maybe you shouldnt have been pushing the non-relationship...or mayb e the band should have taken advantage of the free publicity, as they tacitly did all along.

what do you think your friends think of you, always handing out Dr Pepper and turning the talk towards GnR? you tink that's a move that engenders respect both for you and the band? the music should do the talking, especially if Axl wont, not some soda pop buy-off.
MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« Reply #113 on: November 28, 2008, 01:01:24 AM »

Dr. Pepper did fuck up on this big time. We are better off drinking jack daniels over Dr. Pepper anyway.  beer 

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #114 on: November 28, 2008, 01:07:17 AM »

Axl Rose Fighting For The Common Man

2008-11-28

Who says eccentric rock stars can?t also be men of the people? Guns N Roses lead singer Axl Rose has lashed out at soft-drink giant Dr. Pepper after the company?s website failed, screwing millions of overweight sugar enthusiasts out of their free fixes. I?d probably be furious too, if the offer had been for complementary Mountain Dew or Diet Sunkist, but Dr. Pepper is a C+ at best.

In case you?re out of the loop, let me connect the dots as to how this involves Axl. A spokesman for Dr. Pepper announced back in the day that if Guns N Roses ever released a new album, they would give away free sodas. Surprisingly, Axl got on board with the idea, and earlier this year, the decade-in-the-making Chinese Democracy was released to much hoopla. Unfortunately, Dr. Pepper?s website crashed as fans tried to redeem the offer, and now, according to TMZ, Axl is demanding a printed apology from the pop providers and unspecified damages for using the GNR name and not coming through on their end of the bargain.

Here?s to hoping Dr. Pepper extends the deadline. I might even get in on the offer this time around.

http://www.cinemablend.com/celebrity/Axl-Rose-Fighting-For-The-Common-Man-13665.html

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #115 on: November 28, 2008, 02:08:23 AM »

Dr. Pepper did fuck up on this big time. We are better off drinking jack daniels over Dr. Pepper anyway.  beer 

How did they fuck up? They extended the offer when they didn't have to and gave an 800 number out for people to call. People need to get a grip. It is a can of fucking pop. If someone claims their life is adversely affected by this, then they have problems.

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #116 on: November 28, 2008, 02:35:52 AM »

How did they fuck up? They extended the offer when they didn't have to and gave an 800 number out for people to call. People need to get a grip. It is a can of fucking pop. If someone claims their life is adversely affected by this, then they have problems.

maybe you have problems because you think it should be okay for companies to lie and steal and make money off of gnr's name and hard work.  hey, if that's the way you think, then great.  just let someone else take part of your hard earned money.  let other people trade on your reputation and make fun of you in subtle ways. 

this is bigger than a can of soda now.  it's about right and wrong and drawing a line and sticking up for people who deserve it.  if you want to be on the wrong side of that fight, then so be it.  honestly, i'm not surprised. 
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #117 on: November 28, 2008, 03:36:17 AM »

This is a big mistake on Axl's/GN'R's part.

I can definitely see their point, and agree they have just cause to question Dr. Pepper in it's overall failure to accommodate EVERY U.S. citizen on their promise.

But, the bigger issue here is Chinese Democracy is still in it's first week of release.  And the biggest shopping day in America is TODAY, beginning in about 30 mins.  People don't need a sour taste in their mouths when they pass by the GN'R rack at Best Buy.  This has already pissed a lot of people off and so far from what I've read on random websites has only hurt Axl's public image (which has never been great, but lately has been mostly pleasant).

This could have and should have waited at least until the first week of sales was complete.  This move by the lawyers could quite possibly short-circuit the album's momentum.

RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2008, 03:42:57 AM »

maybe you have problems because you think it should be okay for companies to lie and steal and make money off of gnr's name and hard work.  hey, if that's the way you think, then great.  just let someone else take part of your hard earned money.  let other people trade on your reputation and make fun of you in subtle ways. 

this is bigger than a can of soda now.  it's about right and wrong and drawing a line and sticking up for people who deserve it.  if you want to be on the wrong side of that fight, then so be it.  honestly, i'm not surprised. 

Wow,ok, explain this posted on the front page of HTGTH then: Can you and your friends not read? they told you what to do to get your coupon! Holy fuck man, you think the average American struggling to live week to week gives a fuck about a free fucking can of soda.Some of you are delusional:

Don't forget to register at drpepper.com tomorrow (Nov 23rd) for your free Dr Pepper.

1. On the Nov. 23, 2008 release date, go to www.drpepper.com
2. Register your information to receive a coupon for one free 20-oz. Dr Pepper.
3. When your coupon arrives, redeem it wherever Dr Pepper is sold.
4. Drink your Dr Pepper slowly to experience all 23 flavors. Dr's orders.

Coupons will be available for 24 hours, starting at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time on Nov. 23, 2008

PRESS RELEASE
Guns N' Roses, Chinese Democracy, November 23

Last update: 1:04 p.m. EST Nov. 22, 2008
SANTA MONICA, Calif., Nov 22, 2008
/PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Chinese Democracy has finally arrived. One of the most highly anticipated albums in rock history, Chinese Democracy will be in stores this Sunday, November 23rd. Guns N' Roses is ready to rock once again.

Chinese Democracy (Black Frog/Geffen Records) will be available on CD and vinyl (accompanied by a free digital download of the tracks) at Best Buy and Best Buy.com in the U.S., and digitally through iTunes.

For those who heard about Dr Pepper's offer to give each and every American a free can of soda if Chinese Democracy is released in 2008, Guns N' Roses wants to make sure every Guns N' Roses fan, and every other American, gets what was promised. The band is not involved in this promotion, but understood that every American (with a couple of exceptions) would get a free can of Dr Pepper. Apparently, only those who go to the soda company's Web site on Sunday, November 23 and sign up for a free 20 ounce soda coupon will get the free can. Guns N' Roses encourages all those interested to sign up for their coupon on Sunday, collect their drink and celebrate the release of Chinese Democracy!
SOURCE Black Frog/Geffen Records

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2008, 08:40:58 AM »

How did Dr P make any money off the GNR name? Offering free cans doesn't seem like a particularly good way of making money to me.

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: