Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 11:11:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Sorry - the song
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sorry - the song  (Read 75139 times)
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #320 on: December 16, 2008, 09:22:11 AM »

That line can't be about Slash, cause like it or not, people fucking care about Slash.

I think its about a host of different people. Certain lines are definitely about the old band though.

i think different lines may be for different people, like for example nobody caring about and shut up and sing may be directed at Adler

not knowing who to believe-slash, duff and steve?
etc. etc.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #321 on: December 16, 2008, 10:25:58 AM »

This is a very powerfull song, and i think its also kind of a healing song,

agreed. you can't feel sorry for someone who tears you apart if you aren't far stronger than them.

the reasons...their insecuarity?
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #322 on: December 16, 2008, 10:29:41 AM »

I relate to it as church-critics vs the christians in Norway.

elaborate on nit a bit?

It ended up with burning churces, which I support to the full. peace <<< horn-sign Kiss

Have your own faith, cool. Peace.
But don't tear down the old holy places and build your church on it, thats a very spiteful act.

All the traditions of white people are pagan traditions which christianity mutated into when it arrived.

Yule (christmas) and all these things, pagan.

And when it comes to the truth, the history of the church-
-thats a grusome chapter in european history-

Noble men and women where persecuted, demonized, tortured, humiliated and then burnt alive.

They called the love and fertillity-gods satan, devils and the covens of priestiesses who worshipped witches.

The media and the powers of deceit that may be call church-critics satanists now Roll Eyes

So, this is how I relate to the lyrics.

The only changes I hear in my head is:

While you sold yourself to the christian kin
You sold your soul, you sold your kids

And

I burnt the church like I said that I would
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 12:09:33 PM by norway » Logged

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #323 on: December 16, 2008, 12:44:30 PM »

yea there's an accumulation of gruesome truths lie behind in history.

do the witches feel sorry for the prosecutors?

in the film about joan of arc, she forgives people who are burning her at the stake.
likewise, in the bible Jesus begged god to have mercy on the people who were crucifying him.

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #324 on: December 16, 2008, 02:30:30 PM »

yea there's an accumulation of gruesome truths lie behind in history.

do the witches feel sorry for the prosecutors?

in the film about joan of arc, she forgives people who are burning her at the stake.
likewise, in the bible Jesus begged god to have mercy on the people who were crucifying him.

and axl tells in madagascar the world to forgive them that tear down hos soul, thats right people, axl is messiah hihi
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #325 on: December 16, 2008, 03:10:56 PM »

well joan fought for her country and was betrayed by some insecure people who were her people she secured from the enemy.

Axl fought for the band and..

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #326 on: December 16, 2008, 03:27:37 PM »

agreed. you can't feel sorry for someone who tears you apart if you aren't far stronger than them.

I think, if you read Axl's recent MB posts, you'll see him talk frankly about Slash telling Axl, when Axl was working on some pieces that Slash brought to the band, that Axl shouldn't add lyrics, melodies, or anything else, and should just "sing or get the fuck out".  Something like that.

To me, Axl's description sounds very close to the "shut up and sing" line.  Now, it might NOT be what he meant...it's impossible to say without Axl confirming or denying, and he's been cryptic (careful) enough not to do that directly.  But I think you can read between the lines just a little, maybe.  Smiley

I, too, suspect the song was/is a form of catharsis for Axl.  It's allowing him to get out a good portion of that pent up frustration and anger....which, looking at his side of the story, isn't too surprising.  I'd love to hear him talk a bit more about that...about the song as catharsis.   I think this album is very much about where Axl (and his bandmates) are in this whole cacophany of a situation. 

It's why I think CD is a bit less.....happy...than AFD or UYI.  There are certainly meaner pieces of those albums, but there's also a sense of...I don't know how to put it....exhuberance and bravado behind a lot of the anger and meanness in those albums.  Almost like it's to be taken less seriously.

CD on the other hand has more "weight" behind it.  It feels heavier..and I don't mean heavier like "heavy metal", but heavy like in weighty or somber or seriousness or...I can't think of the right word. It has more sentiment behind the words, IMHO.  It's not a downer, by any means.  But I feel almost a sense of weariness behind it, like the weight of a very long journey, of a lot of experience, backing those words and music.  And a much more serious tone behind the lyrics.  Certainly a lot of metaphor to be had, but....it's like comparing Mark Twain's works to Dickens works.  Sometimes similar subject matter (Sawyer/Finn vs Oliver Twist), but very different "tones", even when evoking humor. 

Or maybe I'm just projecting...since when AFD/UYI came out, I was a hell of a lot younger than I am now.  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 03:38:19 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #327 on: December 16, 2008, 03:38:14 PM »

if you  read all my posts in this thread, yes i definitely read it.  Wink
and he also said it wasn't about one particular person.

like, joan was sorry for the coward asses that sold her to England and for those who were once her followers but believed their lies about her.

typo again Embarrassed i meant insecurity.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 03:40:49 PM by ppbebe » Logged
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #328 on: December 16, 2008, 03:39:31 PM »

if you  read all my posts in this thread, yes i definitely read it.  Wink
and he also said it wasn't about one particular person.

like, joan was sorry for the coward asses that sold her to England and for those who were once her followers but believed their lies about her.

No, I agree...he definitely said it's about more than one person/group.

I just wonder if THAT line is really about Adler, as we (me included) suspected it was early on.....or if it is, indeed, about that incident he mentions with Slash.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #329 on: December 16, 2008, 04:16:58 PM »

unsure but guess both of them are included in 'you'.

one thing for sure is that we are better than joans fans in her days. we should be!  Grin

totally agree about the old albums being young and cd having more "weight" behind it.

however i see positive tone on cd.
the truth may hurt but to accept it is the first step to better anything.
Josh
Headliner

« Reply #330 on: December 17, 2008, 06:30:41 AM »

i think different lines may be for different people, like for example nobody caring about and shut up and sing may be directed at Adler

not knowing who to believe-slash, duff and steve?
etc. etc.

Yeah, the way I listen to it there's a whole crowd of people standing around and Axl's pointing to them each in turn.  Like the boardroom scene in Liar, Liar when Jim Carrey is forced to insult the partners of his law firm.  Slash gets an entire verse, maybe a line is directed at Duff, one for Stephanie, one for the record execs and mngt, etc.
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #331 on: December 17, 2008, 03:01:35 PM »

I can't believe the Norwegian church burnings are making such an impact in this discussion  rofl

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
Akasha
Banned
Opening Act

These Eyes!

« Reply #332 on: December 27, 2008, 04:37:38 AM »

Guess it's nearly undisputable that this song is about Slash,

Nope it's not all about Slash, the song is about several people who were in Axl's life, some still are...

Obviously, the song was written over several years. Some lines relate to personal stuff that he needed to vent about/voice frustration at the time. Some of it has been resolved...

However, the line 'you sold your soul' is directed towards Erin, who did a nude spread for a mens magazine.

Ever heard of the saying, "if you love someone set them free?"

On a musical/singer's note - it is much fun singing 3 part harmony with Axl and Sebastian.  Grin

The one who can't recall.
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #333 on: December 27, 2008, 03:50:45 PM »

I'd say it's all about Slash.
Lyrics of sorry sound and feel far too personal to deserve the watering down -treatment of " ohh this song is about no1 in particular!"

Full of bitterness and malice, this song is somekind of  an anthem for unforgivance. Or would be, if unforgivance was a real word.

My favorite on album by far.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 03:54:14 PM by LeftToDecay » Logged

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
bwhalen
Opening Act

« Reply #334 on: December 27, 2008, 06:53:58 PM »

got a new phone today. samsung alias. played sorry and my phone listens and tells me what it is. set it as my ring tone. love this song!!
Moonlight J
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #335 on: December 27, 2008, 09:08:54 PM »

I interpret the "You sold your soul, but I won't let you in" lyric to doing Velvet Revolver(getting Whyland instead of being a 4 piece with Mr. Stradlin is one of rock history's biggest tradgedies. I almost cried when I read about it. Would have been a cool experiment, no doubt.), along with that story about how Slash went to Axl's place and wasn't granted entry. The real question is the story behind that accent. hihi
Annie
« Reply #336 on: December 28, 2008, 11:42:46 AM »

well joan fought for her country and was betrayed by some insecure people who were her people she secured from the enemy.

Axl fought for the band and..

Cool metaphor. Joan of Arc is my patron saint. After seeing a brilliant production of ST JOAN last year I made a Joan of Arc pilgrimage to France. I went to her birthplace, The Port of France at Valcouleurs and Rouen where she was burned. I HATED ROUEN! I loved Domremy La Pucelle. I had fun hiking in the woods where she used to walk!
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #337 on: December 28, 2008, 03:35:07 PM »

annie you are quite a romanticist. Smiley

The real question is the story behind that accent. hihi

If it sounds like Norwegian, norway is right.
Annie
« Reply #338 on: December 28, 2008, 03:44:08 PM »

annie you are quite a romanticist. Smiley

Sad but true!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #339 on: December 29, 2008, 09:05:02 PM »

I didn't see this posted:

Readers? Rock List: Best Songs Of 2008

12/22/08, 5:15 pm EST

The last of our readers? year-end lists have been tabulated, and as we predicted, Killers fans came out in full force to help ?Human? capture the Rock Daily Readers? Best Song of 2008. Thanks to some web-savvy fans, the Killers swept Best Song, Cover Art and Best Album. Note to Killers crew: read the feature from the current issue here. Plus, here?s the Readers? Top 25 Songs of 2008:

1. The Killers ? ?Human?
2. Coldplay ? ?Viva La Vida?
3. Kings of Leon ? ?Sex On Fire?
4. Vampire Weekend ? ?A Punk?
5. MGMT ? ?Time To Pretend?
6. Santogold ? ?L.E.S. Artistes?
7. Fleet Foxes ? ?White Winter Hymnal?
8. TV on the Radio ? ?Golden Age?
9. Metallica ? ?All Nightmare Long?
10. Lil Wayne ? ?A Milli?
11. Beck ? ?Gamma Ray?
12. Kanye West ? ?Love Lockdown?
13. Crystal Castles ? ?Crimewave?
14. Portishead ? ?The Rip?
15. Estelle & Kanye West ? ?American Boy?
16. Duffy ? ?Warwick Avenue?
17. The Raconteurs ? ?Salute Your Solution?
18. The Mars Volta ? ?Goliath?
19. Death Cab For Cutie ? ?I Will Possess Your Heart?
20. Beyonc? ? ?If I Were A Boy?
21. Guns n? Roses ? ?Sorry?
22. The Black Keys ? ?I Got Mine?
23. Bon Iver ? ?Skinny Love?
24. Deerhunter ? ?Nothing Ever Happened?
25. Gnarls Barkley ? ?Going On?

Kinda interesting.

It's not any of the radio singles and it's not one of the ballads that made the list.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: