Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 11:36:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Sorry - the song
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sorry - the song  (Read 75183 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #120 on: November 22, 2008, 02:03:36 PM »

The solo has a very awesome "Prince" feel to it which for me makes it even more amazing!

The flanger effect on the guitar is awesome as well.

I love the venom in Axl's voice when he goes into his high part. Thats some GNR Lies era Axl Rasp right there. The parts like "no body owes u a god damn thing"

The bite with that venom gets u right through the speakers.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 02:05:12 PM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #121 on: November 22, 2008, 02:21:46 PM »

I FINALLY HEARD THE FUCKING WHISTLING

I felt like Willam in Mallrats who couldn't see the fucking Sailboat!

GeraldFord
« Reply #122 on: November 22, 2008, 02:40:10 PM »

So does Bach sing on this?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #123 on: November 22, 2008, 02:43:37 PM »

Allegedly

I still haven't heard him

patcooper
VIP

« Reply #124 on: November 22, 2008, 02:48:17 PM »

Allegedly

I still haven't heard him

the booklet says background vocals. and yes he does sing on it.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #125 on: November 22, 2008, 02:48:51 PM »

I think it's awesome. The whistling part reminds me of patience in a weirdly subtle way.

I still can't hear axl whistle......  Fuck... 
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #126 on: November 22, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »

He whistles in the background during the line "Truth is the truth hurts, don't you agree."  He does it to the same melody as the vocal line

It's very clear on a stereo (or probably with headphones) but hard to hear on the computer
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 02:58:09 PM by ShotgunBlues1978 » Logged
Alfie Bones
Rocker

I'm on the nightrain.

« Reply #127 on: November 22, 2008, 02:56:15 PM »

There are definately backing vocals during...

Bach sings from 2:07 to 2:35 and again from 4:42 to at least 5:30, maybe even to the end of the song.  He does a good job imho.

But it doesn't definitively sound like Baz one way or the other. Could be a female or two layers of Axl vocals.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #128 on: November 22, 2008, 04:16:26 PM »

Ive been listening very very close and I think Baz sings the "Not Sorry for Me" line in the background.

wadey
Legend

« Reply #129 on: November 22, 2008, 05:22:07 PM »

i hate the part where he sings 'dont want to do it' near the beginning.........about 38 seconds into it, kinda sounds a bit nerdy i guess
i think he also reminds me of  'david bowie' around the 1.13 mark when he sings ' i wont give in'....kinda cool in a way

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
DarrenLeves
Rocker

Rock In Hull

« Reply #130 on: November 22, 2008, 05:25:01 PM »

Axl sings the line 'dont want to do it'  in a very similar voice to the late Dennis Wilson.
Silkworms
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #131 on: November 22, 2008, 09:16:52 PM »

The "but I don't want to do it" line wasn't as pronounced as I thought it would be, reading reviews the other night. In fact, I had to go back and listen to the song a second time, just to hear it.
This is the only part I can't get over with this song...I hope it was deliberate...for me it hit me like a fart in church from first listen. 

Me too.  I went jogging with the album on my Ipod to listen to it the whole way through (8 miles!).  When that part came on it literally stopped me in my tracks.  It sounds like either a bad impression of an East Indian person (Apu?), some nonsenical voice like you would do with your friends in high school, or an inside joke as someone mentioned earlier.  When I played the song for my girlfriend she was into it but burst out laughing when she heard that line.

It doesn't ruin the song for me but I wish he "didn't want to do it".
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 09:18:57 PM by Silkworms » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #132 on: November 22, 2008, 09:23:30 PM »

Its like he watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall or something..............

There has to be a reason behind that voice. he mocking the way someone speaks or something.

gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #133 on: November 22, 2008, 09:44:48 PM »

I just keep listening to this track and This I Love,

it has to be my favourite 2 songs on the album...

I cant choose between them.

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #134 on: November 23, 2008, 03:47:29 AM »

i hate the part where he sings 'dont want to do it' near the beginning.........about 38 seconds into it, kinda sounds a bit nerdy i guess
i think he also reminds me of  'david bowie' around the 1.13 mark when he sings ' i wont give in'....kinda cool in a way

From the AV Club review of Chinese Democracy:

On the aforementioned "Sorry," Rose suddenly sings an otherwise innocuous line ("But I don't want to do it") in some bizarre, quasi-Transylvanian accent, and I cannot begin to speculate as to why. I mean, one has to assume Axl thought about all of these individual choices a minimum of a thousand times over the past 15 years. Somewhere in Los Angles, there's gotta be 400 hours of DAT tape with nothing on it except multiple versions of the "Sorry" vocal. So why is this the one we finally hear? What finally made him decide, "You know, I've weighed all my options and all their potential consequences, and I'm going with the Mexican vampire accent. This is the vision I will embrace. But only on that one line! The rest of it will just be sung like a non-dead human." Often, I don't even care if his choices work or if they fail. I just want to know what Rose hoped they would do.

I thought that was funny hihi

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
littlefallsmets
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #135 on: November 23, 2008, 03:59:46 AM »

Yeah, "the line"... I have a hard time getting past "the line".

I've written elsewhere that... mexican vampire is almost too vague... I'd pin it down exactly as Count Chocula singing the opening lines to Tom Petty's "Breakdown"... "I don' care if you love me... I don' care if you don'..." and, much like the AV Club, I can't fathom where it comes from. I certainly hope, as y'all theorize, that it is some kind of in-joke with whoever the song is pointed at, to make said party aware that its about them without giving it away to the rest of the free world. I... certainly hope so. Because it makes no damned sense otherwise.

Aside from "the line", I like it but... I don't know, it feels like its from some other album that it would fit into the flow of better and it suffers for it... similarly to how I feel about "If The World"... I feel like I'm kind of liking it less than I should because it sticks out so very much from the rest of the album. Those two feel like they're sort of from a different project than the rest of the album.

I don't know. I like it but... there's two different contextual things kind of riding against it that push it down on the list on the album, overall.
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #136 on: November 23, 2008, 04:23:58 AM »

I think it's pretty clear he's imitating someone, so what? Roll Eyes
Who the fuck knows, it's up to him what he wants to do on his own record, even it's an inside joke or stab! He didn't make the album to please fans in all possible ways. It could even be a stab at Slash, everyone knows that lazy fuck didn't want to do what was required. I'm not going to speculate, but just be open about it and stop being hung up on one goddamn line.

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #137 on: November 23, 2008, 04:39:04 AM »

That line is clearly a mimic of somebody who's challenged an order, as in your boss telling you to sweep the pavement in front of the shop. If it was you the order was directed you say " I don't want to do it" as your position is not to do this, you feel that it devalues your role - the responce of somebody who lives by the mantra "do as I say" as oppososed to "do as I do"

I think Axl's dissing the "Do as I sayer" in a way that makes them look small. Axl don't suffer fools gladly, its his  right to say "If you are gonna use me to advance your self-importance, at least do as your fucking told. Nobody is so fucking important that they don't have to the shit work  sometimes"

That's my take on it anyway.

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #138 on: November 23, 2008, 05:02:35 AM »

The 'line' is clearly Axl making fun of someone or something. It is sung that way on purpose !

Personaly, I fucking love it, it's like arrogant or something yes

The fact that some don't get it is frightning ...

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
mikestone
Opening Act

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #139 on: November 23, 2008, 05:05:01 AM »

love it love it love it beer beer drool drool

i've got a funny feeling
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: