Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 11:24:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Sorry - the song
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sorry - the song  (Read 75164 times)
Journeyman
VIP

Not like you, unlike me...

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2008, 09:34:04 AM »

Its one of the best songs of the album, and this is one of the best albums ever so...

Love the Floyd-Zepp influences! Love The whistling!!

2/7/92 -  Alvalade, Portugal
27/5/06 - RIR, Portugal
30/7/06 - Wembley Arena, London
6/10/10 - Meo Arena, Portugal
7/5/16 - AXL/DC Algés, Portugal
2/6/17 - Algés, Portugal
5/6/22 - Algés, Portug
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2008, 09:35:17 AM »

The song makes me think its about Slash ? anyone else think that ?

i think its about Slash as well

I actually think Adler....but that's just a guess.

I actually thought there were parts of it that might allude to Weiland..but I think the song predates their dust up. 

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2008, 09:37:17 AM »

It's actually the delivery of the lyrics that I don't get. Example; the "but I don't want to do it" line in the first verse.

hihi well...I suppose it's some sort of an ironical private joke...
maybe for Slash ("ah, you didn't want to do this song, asshole, so I don't want to be cool neither")
can't say what sort of accent he used here, if he immitate some guy we knows, of if it's a cinematic reference...

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2008, 09:48:02 AM »

It's actually the delivery of the lyrics that I don't get. Example; the "but I don't want to do it" line in the first verse.

hihi well...I suppose it's some sort of an ironical private joke...
maybe for Slash ("ah, you didn't want to do this song, asshole, so I don't want to be cool neither")
can't say what sort of accent he used here, if he immitate some guy we knows, of if it's a cinematic reference...

Good call. I didn't think about the fact that only the person there are meant for might get the delivery.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2008, 11:17:41 AM »

I think it may have to do with Velvet Revolver as a whole?  But it all depends on when it was written.  "Truth is nobody cares about you" amongst other lyrics leads to believe that regardless of the rest of the band moving on with a new name and new material..."Guns N Roses" with just Axl Rose seems to be inevitably more popular...and people seem to care more about Axl and his material than Velvet Revolvers...??  Perhaps??

Just a thought...

<i>Double Talkin' Jive Motherfucker</i>
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2008, 11:41:39 AM »

Ok, Im still holding out until Sunday for This I Love and the rest of the album(in proper form) but I have listened to the studio version of Sorry(Myspace). I was going to wait until I write my complete review but I feel the need to talk about this song....
my thoughts on "Sorry"...
EPIC CITY!. It might be the best song on the album. and its one of the best songs in GNR history. I dont know where to begin. I think Baz was right in a way. The beats and pace of the song are grinding.

After reading the lyrics and not dloading the song I thought it was going to be like a whiny axl song or a poor me type deal. Man, was I so wrong. Axl is making a statement with this song. Hes saying Im Axl Rose and I am king of the land again. But hes not just saying it, the way he delivers is what makes this song. And he can talk with such a swagger because he has a band again. Musically this song is amazing as well. So war like. Like Axl and the band are taking us on a fukin war march or something...

I understand that the "But I dont want to do it" line comes out of left field but I think its pretty cool actually. This is why I love Axl....Why? Because in the very next line he says "You dont know why I wont act the way you think I should".....genius!

When I heard that 2nd verse? (The Not Caving in verse), I literally got chills. The way he sings that verse is simply amazing.

The song could come right off of "Electric Tears" by Buckethead. Bucket is amazing. As i have said for years....and I will say it even more proudly and loudly now.....BUCKET AND AXL ARE MAGIC! CASE CLOSED.

This song also reminds me of Pink Flyod as well. And a little of John Lennons "Working Class Hero"

Axl and the band really shine on this song. Axl has such a swagger and bravado in this song. Axl does the opposite of what we think he will sing about. He tells Slash and all the haters to shove it up your ass. I love it. I truly love it. He tells his side of the story in a very meaningful and memorable way. Axl is a genius.

and tell me if  Im wrong here....Axl is mocking Scott Weiland  in the last verse? With how delivers the vocals.  When I first heard that vocal delivery I instantly thought of Weiland either in STP or VR. Cant think of the song but I think that is how Weiland sings sometimes....listen from 536 on.....If that is the case then its fukin genius! and balls.....wow

This song is simply amazing. Its so heavy and lyrically I love it. I would love to hear and see slashs reaction when hes driving and listening to this. hes gonna be pissed. I wish Axl would have recorded the sounds of his gate to his house for this song. Put the opening of the gate at the start of the song and the slamming of the gate at the end when the music dies down.

For some reason I envisioned "The General" to sound like this song. I dont know why.

Cant wait to hear the album from start to finish. And I cant wait to hear THIS I Love.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 11:58:55 AM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
bedanish
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2008, 12:36:24 PM »

Really like this song. Don't think it is specifically about Slash at all.................I think it is about anyone who put their pen to the paper and tried to tell Axl how he should 'act' and 'think' - press, girlfriends, family, band members etc
Jada
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2008, 01:04:25 PM »

I love it and can't stop listening to it.  beer
sandman
Legend

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2008, 01:10:45 PM »

i finally broke down and listened to this song. i can't give a true review until i hear any of the new songs on a great sound system. i think they are too "thick" for an average stereo system to give them justice.

with that said, this song is fucking unbelievable. i'm speechless. Axl is so successful at creating a certain mood in many of his songs. there's a darkness to this song that is so freakin powerful. it gives me the chills.

as for who it's about....something tells me that Slash is the obvious guess, and that Axl wouldn't make it that clear.

like someone in this thread said, it could be about all the people that collectively put pressure on him to do certain things. obviously, this is just a wild guess on my part and nothing would surprise me. something tells me we'll never know for sure.  

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2008, 01:13:44 PM »

awesome song! One of my favorites!  ok

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2008, 01:26:08 PM »

I think the songs about everyone that said things about him.

Be it the press starting rumours, like the delaying a show for a meal.

Or Slashs statements in his autobiography.

The song i also feel is talking about us, the forum goers, the fans. "They" when he talks about us being numbed and such!!!

html sucks
leagnr
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2008, 01:29:49 PM »

Great fuckin song

I LOVE IT
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2008, 01:31:19 PM »

i love the weird voice axl uses to say 'but i don't want to do it.'  at first i was like -- WTF?  but now it's one of my favorite things on the album.  i wonder if axl recorded a whole version of the song in that voice but only used that one line.  it'd be cool to hear him sing that way more of the time.

kick ass chorus.  one that you can sing along to!  and the mixture of acoustic guitars and whistling... pure axl!
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2008, 02:07:00 PM »

BEST SONG ON THE ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I think Axl is really talking to him self, like his Bi-polar side... Its like he two sides of his brain are fighting.....  I love the passion in Axl's voice. The mix, the production.  Tasty solo by Bucket.  My favorite on the album by a mile.
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2008, 02:10:19 PM »

The song makes me think its about Slash ? anyone else think that ?

i think its about Slash as well

I actually think Adler....but that's just a guess.

I actually thought there were parts of it that might allude to Weiland..but I think the song predates their dust up. 

afriend of mine heard a rumor this song was about adler and that could also be the case

he mentioned the reference to "shut up and sing" as somethig adler said
dallasgel
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2008, 02:15:22 PM »

Maybe it is possible that Axl is a big fan of the movie "Forgetting Sarah Marshall".  There is that whole bit of the Dracula musical and it could be possible that the line "I don't want to do it" is a little spoof of that movie.  Maybe?

Here's a link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_8GXidgNWc&feature=related
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2008, 02:19:54 PM »

The "but I don't want to do it" line wasn't as pronounced as I thought it would be, reading reviews the other night. In fact, I had to go back and listen to the song a second time, just to hear it.

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2008, 02:24:12 PM »

The "but I don't want to do it" line wasn't as pronounced as I thought it would be, reading reviews the other night. In fact, I had to go back and listen to the song a second time, just to hear it.
This is the only part I can't get over with this song...I hope it was deliberate...for me it hit me like a fart in church from first listen.  I like the song, but think it is one of the weaker ones on the album.  Maybe 3/5 stars.

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
chriskon72
Rocker

Thus spake the Super-Guru...Did you hear that?

« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2008, 02:33:56 PM »

This song just smokes! It is up there with any of the GNR classics. I love this song, it just reeks of Floyd. I Love everything about it (the vocals and Guitar). The album is awsome but this song, just does it for me. Incredible! 

20.05.88 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
07.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
08.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
28.05.92 Kanstatterwasen, Stuttgart
26.06.93 Olympiastadion, Munich
07.04.10 Figali, Panama
Perfect Criminal
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2008, 02:37:48 PM »

This is clearly the best song n the album.  The songs on CD are so very different from each other.  That's one thing Ilike about GNR, they don't have a sound per se.  Listen to Better, Sorry, If the World and Prostitute in order and you would never know they are from the same band except for the vocals.  I'd put this song in the same category as WTTJ and Paradise City.  From a production standpoint, it's even better.

We all wanted Axl to deliver and many of us had our doubts along the way.  Well he did it folks!  He set out to do accomplish a huge task and throughout all the doubts and (I'm sure) self doubt, he delivered in a big big way!

Kudos my man!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: