Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2024, 07:48:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228077 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "We're launching with a monumental campaign"
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "We're launching with a monumental campaign"  (Read 142378 times)
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #720 on: December 13, 2008, 05:46:47 PM »

I went to my local BB to do some Christmas shopping and Chinese Democracy was set up the same way as it was on Nov 23. with the tower of CD's and vinyl on top. Saw a few people  who did not strike me as GNR fans looking at the display a bit curiously. They still had CD at each checkout counter. But they did take away an encap that was there last month devoted to CD and older albums. Still no posters up or any GNR playing. Guess that is better than some of the stories I've read hare about some BB taking down a lot more stuff than that.

Well, at this point, in the US selling the album is Best Buy's problem moreso than UMG or GNR's.  UMG has already been paid and recouped their costs in this market, and they don't have a great deal of incentive to promote the album further until the exclusive deal ends.  If selling this album was one of Best Buy's top priorities, they'd be playing it nonstop over the PA system and advertising it more prominently. 

As Jarmo said, it's all about central decisions.  If Best Buy corporate said "all stores must play this album over the PA" then that's what happens.  If not, it won't happen.  But they are the ones who paid $14 million one way for the album so you would think they'd be making a better effort to sell it.  Hopefully once the Better video comes out, they'll start playing it on their TV's on a loop, and start playing it on their overhead system
Andy-k
Headliner

« Reply #721 on: December 14, 2008, 04:39:35 AM »

I think stuff's starting to happen.
Today a Chinese Democracy commercial aired an Norwegian Tv2, it's been airing all night !  beer

edit: Damn I was late, haha.. 
The commercial aired right after the Norwegian handball team had won they're semi-final, 1/4 of our nation's population usually watch those games !!

Haha finally I found a reason to watch handball!  hihi

Guns N' Roses
The Prez
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #722 on: January 06, 2009, 02:19:04 PM »

It's a shame! I love GN'R but the campaign for Chinese Democracy is a joke. Maybe it's not the band's fault but it's a fact.

Rolling Stone is sadly correct in below article:
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/12/18/why-black-ice-beat-chinese-democracy-the-tale-of-wal-mart-vs-best-buy/

There is a difference between the opinion of the majority and the thruth...
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #723 on: January 06, 2009, 02:28:36 PM »

From the Q&A sessions Axl did last month:

Axl: There were imo well thought out plans and strategies that unfortunately were ignored once we were pressing CD?s. There will be proper interviews and some are already scheduled for much later intentionally. God idea, bad?we?ll see. I?m happy the record?s out the rest? one nightmare at a time.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
The Prez
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #724 on: January 06, 2009, 02:32:26 PM »

From the Q&A sessions Axl did last month:

Axl: There were imo well thought out plans and strategies that unfortunately were ignored once we were pressing CD?s. There will be proper interviews and some are already scheduled for much later intentionally. God idea, bad?we?ll see. I?m happy the record?s out the rest? one nightmare at a time.

/jarmo

LOL, great statement from the Axl 'I?m happy the record?s out the rest? one nightmare at a time.'
It's hard to be guns fan, maybe it's harder to be Axl Rose...shit!  hihi  peace
It can only become 'BETTER' !
 Tongue

There is a difference between the opinion of the majority and the thruth...
JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #725 on: January 06, 2009, 04:01:08 PM »

I was sad to see, last week, when I went into Best Buy the GN'R tower was no longer there.  In fact, is was easier to find  the GH GN'R cd than Chinese Democracy.  I really lost some respect for Best Buy during this whole "monumental camaign" launching. 
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #726 on: January 11, 2009, 02:10:49 AM »

So I logged into AIM, and the advertising box on top of the window had the familiar Guns N' Roses billboard we have all come to know and love.  And when I rolled over, it took me to the Best Buy page.

Pretty neat.
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #727 on: January 11, 2009, 02:32:41 AM »

I still blame the record company, I know it took Axl along time to release Chinese Democracy and was expensive to make.  I just don't see it from their point of view, I mean here is the most anticipated record release that there will ever be and they just ingore it.  They way Axl said in the Q&A they screwed him over, It's not really Best Buy's fault they really had nothing to work with.  The timming is off and there will probaly be late promotion on the record.  Hopefully  a year from now we won't be talking about this.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #728 on: January 11, 2009, 02:36:37 AM »

Why spend money promoting something u already made a profit on?

The label are so happy they turned a profit, they probably are happy with it and see no reason to further promote it seeing as they really stand to gain nothing else.

once the BB deal expires, U will see a monumental campaign.

This could still turn out to be pretty genius.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #729 on: January 11, 2009, 02:40:29 AM »

To make future profits?

Like many others have said on this forum, this album will have a long shelf life.  It's been selling through word of mouth pretty much. 
XxWickeds10xX
Rocker

GNFNR

« Reply #730 on: January 13, 2009, 09:36:03 AM »

once the BB deal expires, U will see a monumental campaign.

When does that deal expire?
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #731 on: January 13, 2009, 09:41:59 AM »

I think 6 month from the release date on

The only son of a bitch with enough piss, vinegar and kill-?em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock?s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. [LA Weekly]
BKinNYC
Rocker

Worrying's a waste of my time.

« Reply #732 on: January 13, 2009, 11:56:08 AM »

A video, tour, or interview is hardly "monumental."  I think everyone needs to temper their expectations a bit.  I'm not really sure what everyone's expecting.

It might be monumental for this band, but normal in the rest of the music world.
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #733 on: January 13, 2009, 12:16:21 PM »

True enough.

The frontman not putting in a single formal interview or public appearance in support of an album that took him over a decade to make seems pretty monumental to me.  Tongue

And there goes the challenger...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #734 on: January 13, 2009, 12:27:33 PM »

You might wanna check out the first post again.

The monumental campaign refers to something that came from Best Buy. It was developed by them.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #735 on: January 13, 2009, 12:55:13 PM »

But the "we" in the "we're launching" refers to GNR management.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #736 on: January 13, 2009, 01:00:54 PM »

Not necessarily just management.

They're not the one selling the albums in their stores.

Don't you think it would be weird to have a promotional campaign that had nothing to do with the retailer who sells the albums and who developed the campaign?

/jarmo

adman2374
Rocker

« Reply #737 on: January 13, 2009, 01:13:10 PM »

Not necessarily just management.

They're not the one selling the albums in their stores.

Don't you think it would be weird to have a promotional campaign that had nothing to do with the retailer who sells the albums and who developed the campaign?

/jarmo

What the hell are you talking about? That statement was put out by Azoff. The campaign was done by gnr and bb. i think it would be weird if gnr had no say on how their own album was marketed, especially gnr and we all know they have a lot of say on how their "brand" is expressed/sold to the public. i dont know why you dont think gnr are responsible for anything that doesnt turn out as well as we all hoped it should.....*head scratch*
-Rob-
Banned
Rocker

Here Today ...

« Reply #738 on: January 13, 2009, 01:28:12 PM »

i can honestly say that i've only been in a Best Buy once since the album release - and that's before i realized just how pathetic their marketing approach was going to be for this album. i used to buy cds there weekly, but moving forward, i will do my cd / electronics shopping at either a Circuit City or my local FYE.

i am personally outraged at their incompetence and i'd love to see them fucked over the same way they did this band. i mean, do they even realize this is 10 years of a man's life invested here? it'd be bad enough for them to do this to any band. but the most anticipated album ever?! it's fucking unexcusable!

i don't doubt for a second had this album received the promotion it deserved, US sales would be somewhere between 2-3 million at this point. guaranteed! if anyone else is as pissed off as i am about this lacadazical approach put forth by BB, i think you should re-consider prior to giving them any of your business ever again.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #739 on: January 13, 2009, 02:37:08 PM »

i don't doubt for a second had this album received the promotion it deserved, US sales would be somewhere between 2-3 million at this point. guaranteed!

The best selling album of the year only sold a little over 2 million... and you think GN'R would be higher than that in only 5 weeks with different promotion?
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: