Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 03:20:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  2008: The year that saved rock?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008: The year that saved rock?  (Read 10631 times)
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« on: October 23, 2008, 02:47:42 PM »

Think about this a bit.

How many truly epic rock bands have come out in the last 10-15 years?  Where are the bands that 30-40 years ago were the Aerosmiths, the Led Zeppelins, the Queens, the Rolling Stones?  What was the last truly good rock band with any staying power to release new (and good) music?

I'll save you the time.  There aren't any.  All the popular new stuff is in hip hop and a poppy side of rock that lacks content and decent solos.  When was the last time you heard a good guitar solo in a Nickleback song?  Or Nirvana and their clones?  Or Linkin Park?  Or any of the flash-in-the-pan nu-metal bands that were big for about 30 seconds?

In the span of a year-- not even a year, in the span of a few months-- we're seeing releases from three timeless rock bands-- Metallica, AC/DC, and Guns N' Roses.  You could even put in the Motley Crue album if you wanted to with this list.  Traditional rock is still alive and kicking.

Could this all potentially kick off a revival and save rock and roll as we know it?

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
JAC185
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 03:01:55 PM »

I think a new band would have to take over rock n roll for their to be anything of a real revival.
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 03:06:17 PM »

Also, new stuff from Def Leppard, Oasis, Motorhead, Nine Inch Nails...

This has been quite the year....

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 03:18:34 PM »

Think about this a bit.

How many truly epic rock bands have come out in the last 10-15 years?  Where are the bands that 30-40 years ago were the Aerosmiths, the Led Zeppelins, the Queens, the Rolling Stones?  What was the last truly good rock band with any staying power to release new (and good) music?

I'll save you the time.  There aren't any.  All the popular new stuff is in hip hop and a poppy side of rock that lacks content and decent solos.  When was the last time you heard a good guitar solo in a Nickleback song?  Or Nirvana and their clones?  Or Linkin Park?  Or any of the flash-in-the-pan nu-metal bands that were big for about 30 seconds?

In the span of a year-- not even a year, in the span of a few months-- we're seeing releases from three timeless rock bands-- Metallica, AC/DC, and Guns N' Roses.  You could even put in the Motley Crue album if you wanted to with this list.  Traditional rock is still alive and kicking.

Could this all potentially kick off a revival and save rock and roll as we know it?

IMO new bands dont really get a chance to be as big as those other acts these days. Years ago people just listened to the music, these days its all about stupid loyalties to genres and direct comparision to bands that are different.

Anything new is ridiculed as it isn't exactly the same as the above bands. and anyone who gets anything near the "Epic" label starts to get popular and then become uncool.

Persoanlly i think its great that guys like GNR, Zeppelin & AC/DC are back but new acts that try to stamp their ideas on us don't get the respect that the guys like GNR & Co got back in the day.

I think thats why there are no huge acts coming through. Also alot of bands aren't as interested in the "Epic" label these days. Bands like Arctic Monkeys & Kings Of Leon have stated quite openly they are not interested in pusing their music too hard in fear that they'll become considered more pop than rock... which i think happens to quite a few bands.

Like you said. It could be a good 12 months for rock but i think it could be a really exciting time for rock if some people would open their mind to newer music too.

I'm Gonna Buy A Gun And Start A War
If You Can Tell Me Something Worth Fighting For
[/color]

Get on your Dancing Shoes
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 03:19:31 PM »

its all the old bands keeping it known though.

sadly the new bands dont have a chance.

theres alot of SHIT new bands full of average shite.

And the few good bands there are dont really get the attention they deserve, doubt they will ever produce hugely successful classics like the old bands.

These days people want pussy music.

html sucks
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 03:24:24 PM »

I think a new band would have to take over rock n roll for their to be anything of a real revival.

Exactly.

With all due respect to the acts mentioned above, their days of blazing any new trails and changing/saving rock are long since gone.

That task is best left to the young.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 03:48:31 PM »

sadly the new bands dont have a chance.

These days people want pussy music.

Ok thats fine but maybe pussy music as you refer to it is what alot of people like. I assume when you say pussy music you mean music thats not as heavy... bands like Coldplay!

Well Coldplay are one of the biggest acts in the world. But because people refer to them as pussy music they are seen as "rubbish" or "uncool". Now its not for me to say if they are either but my point is too many people can't (or don't) appricate a variety of music. I'm not ashamed to say i like bands like Death Cab & Brand New and i think they are two underated bands with excellent music and great lyrics (albeit different style to the "Epic" Bands) and i think many people will just write them off because they are part of new rock or coz they don't have epic solos or lead a rock star life. Its not everyone, but some people will ignore good music if they don't fit in with their style.

When you compare Coldplay to GNR you are comparing chalk to cheese, but that doesn't mean that they are not good at what they do. I bet most older people who dont like GNR might like Paience or November Rain and it works the other way too... i'm sure Coldplay has individual songs that people might like. But because the band sing about love or whatever rather than Sex,Drugs&RockNRoll they are easy to write off.

I use Coldplay as an example but there are loads of bands out there like that.

Bands like Coldplay, Killers, Muse, Arctic Monkeys, Snow Patrol, Foo Fighters, Kings Of Leon are all big bands that are recent and have produced better albums that alot of those "Epic" bands new albums... so where does that leave them?

[/color]

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 04:03:03 PM »

Rock doesn't need saving.

Corporate pop needs killing.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 04:11:13 PM »

Rock doesn't need saving.

Corporate pop needs killing.

I think thats well said. Depending on what you regard as Corporate Pop

[/color]

Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 05:11:20 PM »

Exactly.

With all due respect to the acts mentioned above, their days of blazing any new trails and changing/saving rock are long since gone.

That task is best left to the young.

Name me one young band today that's worth a damned?  Rock hasn't "blazed" new trails sense the 70's.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 05:32:11 PM »

Name me one young band today that's worth a damned?

McQueen, The Glitterati, Bangkok 5 to name a few. 

Will they have the impact or the cultural significance of the Pistols or Nirvana?

Oh hell no.

But - they are authentic, the real deal if you will.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 05:37:07 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 06:12:36 PM »

Some dinosaur rock bands released their latest contractually obligated album

Rock is saved!

Quick! To the bandwagon!
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 06:42:58 PM »

Bands like Coldplay, Killers, Muse, Arctic Monkeys, Snow Patrol, Foo Fighters, Kings Of Leon are all big bands that are recent and have produced better albums that alot of those "Epic" bands new albums... so where does that leave them?
I dislike these bands, being they are simply, to me. Boring.  They aint rock n roll.

Killers, Artic Monkeys, Snow Patrol. indie bands, i hate indie bands. why , because theres about 500000000000000000000000000000000000 of them being arse raped by NME magazine daily. Shit bands, they all look the same, sound the same. I fuckin hate those bands, it makes me ashamed of the British music scene.

Muse, not really new, alternative from the 90s. Dont interest me, hate matts voice.

Kings Of Leon, started out as a blues rock band with a frontman that couldnt sing understandable words.
Suddenly they go and cut there hair off, dress like lame ass indie kids in cardigans, talk in english but make damn annoying songs like "sex on fire" diieee!!!

Foo Fighters, again, not new. They have some ok singles but their albums are generally loaded with filler.

Rock N Roll to me. Is something is. Aggressive, different, full of energy and power. You can relate to the act, you wanna be them or take influence from them. They speak to you in a way only they can. 

There are new bands fitting that description around. For me. Thing with music is, everyones damn picky in what they want. Some people would absolutely hate the new bands i love (which, they do). Some think they are fuckin brilliant and under-rated.

Ill post some links to bands that i personally feel are the rock n roll today, even if they havent had major success. Obviously the songs come across far better sourced off proper audio, but crappy youtube will have to do lol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaqZJANa0Jk anyone who knows me here doesnt even need to click on this, they can guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ_1BgXT0A8&feature=related <<jsut audio, love the drumming in that song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZF1wzHmsUM good ol'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE6qSV-ufb0  these guys dont tread new ground but the albums just an ass kicker, love it.

plenty of more underground ones, but those are the bigger names of the pack worth mentioning.

Without those bands i think id be pretty bored with the music scene. Fucking hate indie, and i god damn hate emo even more. Dont get me started on "hardcore" bands like Bring Me the Horizon and Architects, load of shit.

oh and just a small mention. I actually think Nickelback are a damn good rock band. Very commercial, but they have good songs on their albums with little filler in my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 06:46:02 PM by mrlee » Logged

html sucks
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 06:48:10 PM »

U consider the Killers Rock?

They are probably a long with The White Stripes the most overrated bands of the last 20 years.

If they were out in 1991, they'd be as big as Britny FOx or somebody.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 06:49:04 PM »

U consider the Killers Rock?

They are probably a long with The White Stripes the most overrated bands of the last 20 years.

If they were out in 1991, they'd be as big as Britny FOx or somebody.
Except Britney Fox actually rock. The Killers dont.

html sucks
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 06:49:20 PM »

Guitar Hero & Rock Band has certainly played a part in revitalizing it with the younger generation.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 06:50:57 PM »

Guitar Hero & Rock Band has certainly played a part in revitalizing it with the younger generation.
Problem is alot of people only bother getting that one song by the band. Not the back catalogue.

But yes, while i despise the games, they have made a BIG difference in making kids wanna pick up the guitar n play guitar solos again.

What i do like about the games is they cover all sorts of rock n roll.

and glam Wink

html sucks
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 07:15:01 PM »

OHHH ALSO GUYS!!!

a band you wanna watch out for!!!

http://www.myspace.com/kidego

The vocalist is great, hes sung with Alice Cooper live once apparently. They have had a few line up changes. But theres a brand new track just up, off the new album with, what im going to guess will become the bands "classic" line up in a few years and a few albums later if they keep shit together.

There other older tracks are pretty good but they aint ever gonna be released i dont think.

html sucks
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 07:51:34 PM »

Some dinosaur rock bands released their latest contractually obligated album

Rock is saved!

Do you think it's a different thing for young bands? all commercial albums are contractual. Tongue
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 07:53:23 PM by Gunner80 » Logged

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 07:59:45 PM »

Think about this a bit.

you damn right Cool headbanger

and yes i do includ motley crue in that as well only they haven't gotten alot of support from it which surprises me a little. Most of you probably disagree cause you think vince is a piece of shit but i think he's cool.

i heard CHINESE DEMOCRACY  on the radio for the first time today and just got achill down my spine and thought wow its finally coming, Metal is back!

peace

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: