Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 10:42:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  The war in Georgia
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The war in Georgia  (Read 14506 times)
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« on: August 09, 2008, 03:31:09 PM »

So, a tiny northern province of Georgia, South Ossetia  wants inependence and  Russia wants a new satelite country/state out of them.
Georgia doesn't want to grand South Ossetia independence.

South Ossetia declares itself independent, no one, not even Russia  recognizes them.

Tenstions in Georgia an Russia has been on steady increase about the matter ever since West-leaning nato membership lusting Mihail Saakashvil got elected as president of Gerogia.
He made promises to restore Georgian control in Ossetia. Ossetian seperatists and Russia dont want that to happen.
For few months now both Georgia and Russia have been positioning troops in both sides of Ossrtia.

On August 8th Saakashvil decided to begin fulfill his promise of retaking Ossetia. An  attack preluded by heavy artilirrelity fire was unleashed on Ossetia's capital. Russians respond immediately and send tanks, troops, to Ossetia and bomb various locations of Georgia.
In few days, the conflict officially escalated as a war between Georgia and Russia.

Or short version,
what a fucking mess.

What do you think about this brand new shiny war?

« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 03:34:37 PM by LeftToDecay » Logged

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 04:04:40 PM »

Well those involved are white and have useful land for an oil pipeline so expect action (eventually)

Now if they were black and had no resources then I'd say Russia would be having a nice new province with a few days

...jokes aside, Russia's army is so poor I wouldnt be surprised if Georgia fought them off single handedly

Quick! To the bandwagon!
LeftToDecay
VIP

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 04:18:15 PM »

Well those involved are white and have useful land for an oil pipeline so expect action (eventually)
Yeahp, this is happening otside of " we dont give a fuck"-zone of   Africa or far east.
It this was two central African countires  pickering a little it would take bodycount of few hundred thosands before it overshadowed Lindsay Lohan scandals or "AN AMERICAN HAS DIED!!!" news in CNN, and bodycount of few milions before some random guy would bother to make a thread about it in some random messageboard.

with that out of the way,

Ehh, i don't think west intervenes on this one in relevant way.
EU/Usa surely arent eager to wreck relations with Russia over this. Hopefully.
Poor army?Shocked Russian army is miles from  what it was during semi-anarchy of post soviet years around early/mid 90's.  If they'd choose to properly level Georgia's army then  thats exactly what would happen.. But naaaeh,  they wont. nu uh.

When it comes to what has happened this week, theres not much Sympathy points to be shared in direction  of Georgia either. It seems like them starting the actual war efforts is what really happened, it's not just Russian propaganda.

Russia has been busy acting like total cunts towards Georgia for a few years now though.
Small countries can't afford to get provoked by Russia.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 12:37:51 PM by LeftToDecay » Logged

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 04:20:20 PM »

when CDe sees this thread he's gonna think "woah is there a war in atlanta?"  hihi
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 05:12:18 PM »

and again it all comes down to who controls gas/oil lines running through the region, as usual ofc...Roll Eyes
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 08:52:46 PM »

Russian armys fighting on other lands just doesnt have the same ring as The Soviets.

Back then youd get spetnaz operatives, that would fly helicopters straight into moving tanks screaming arrrghghghghgghghghg.

questions like, "where are zee missiles?"

exploding dams. Colonels that you think are killed in the explosion only to survive and get involved in a plot to destroy the worlds economy.

Crazy Horny russian women that kill men with there thighs.

Bah, they aint what they used to be.

html sucks
makane
Legend

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 09:26:07 PM »

Oh noes why is Russia attacking ATLANTA?!

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 10:46:53 PM »

Oh noes why is Russia attacking ATLANTA?!

FAIL!

Uhhh, go Russia.  The Georgians fired on them first.

The Georgians even said they were going to attack first.

That's fucking funny, giving away your battle plan.

Even funnier than that picture makane posted.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 11:43:50 AM »

Georgia has pulled it's troops out of South Ossetia & declared its own ceasefire.

Russia is still bombing cities in Georgia and thay aren't even near South Ossetia.

What's next, Lithuania?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 12:39:25 PM by Senator John "Bluto" Blutarsky » Logged

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
LeftToDecay
VIP

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 12:46:37 PM »

Their assault was one of the most irrational and pathetic military operations of the decade
It's little frustrating all in all,  it was just what Russia wanted, now they have Georgia by the balls and can fold Ossetia into  what ever they want it to be.
why play it all straight into hands of Russia. Small countries can't afford to get provoked like Georgia did. Not if they live next to something like Russia.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 12:50:36 PM by LeftToDecay » Logged

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 01:08:52 PM »

In the broader sense I think Putin wants to see Russia return to the level of influence it once had when it was the Soviet Union.

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
LeftToDecay
VIP

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 01:36:26 PM »

In the broader sense I think Putin wants to see Russia return to the level of influence it once had when it was the Soviet Union.

The country as a whole has been very busy with this steadily increasing nationalistic vibe ever since Putin rose to power and helped them restore some of the (much needed)pride.
Nationalistic vibe is a bad thing almost by default it seems, though. Or rather, its very often a 1st step on ladder leading to fucked up events

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 01:59:49 PM »

Being proud of your country and showing pride is one thing, but when you step on your neighbors in the process is another.

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 02:01:13 PM »

U.S. Begins Flying Georgian Troops out of Iraq

Sunday, August 10, 2008

BAGHDAD ?  A senior U.S. military official says the Americans have begun flying Georgian troops home from Iraq after they requested help with transportation.

Georgia has called its 2,000 troops home from Iraq to help in the fighting against Russia in the breakaway province of South Ossetia and asked the U.S. military to help transport them.

The official says that the U.S. military has agreed to their request and "some flights have already begun."

The official spoke on condition of anonymity Sunday because he was releasing the information ahead of a formal announcement.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,401121,00.html

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
LeftToDecay
VIP

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 02:10:02 PM »

Being proud of your country and showing pride is one thing, but when you step on your neighbors in the process is another.

It's just way too easy to slip from being proud  to being a true patriot!! Then before you even  notice, you are being a  war horny asshole.

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 02:16:26 PM »

It's just way too easy to slip from being proud  to being a true patriot!! Then before you even  notice, you are being a  war horny asshole.

Many people have died when this sentiment is taken to the extreme  ( ex. Nazi Germany)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 02:24:58 PM by Senator John "Bluto" Blutarsky » Logged

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 09:00:28 AM »

Russia is now demanding that Georgia disarm troops near the breakaway province of Abkhazia and they also have troops there. We may have a second front in this conflict.  This is getting messy.

Update- Georgia is now marching deep into Georgia & bombing their cities.

WTF is Bush doing about it other than sitting next to Putin at the Olympics?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 12:52:55 PM by Senator John "Bluto" Blutarsky » Logged

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
LeftToDecay
VIP

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 02:39:19 PM »

Seems like Russia is doing it's best to tear Georgia apart. They want to make sure Abkhazia and Ossetania both are well on their way out of Georgia and towards the loving armpit of Russia before hostilities end.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 02:59:52 PM by LeftToDecay » Logged

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 04:50:35 PM »

This issue is more important than most realize.  Georgia is a country that has sent troops to Iraq and Bush called them a beacon of light to democracy or something like that. Now Bush is not doing shit about Russia which is now marching deeper in that country. It is a bit too early to tell, but they may be deciding to just take over the whole place.

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 05:50:38 PM »

American hypocrisy at it's best that's all I got to say about it.

Georgia has been a loyal ally to the USA and what do they get in return? nothing......
and that's simply because there's nothing to gain for them by going in there.

That's actually the main reason why I didn't sign up for another 4 years in the army. I was tired of fighting their wars.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: