Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 03:20:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Shackler's Revenge Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 105 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shackler's Revenge Discussion  (Read 474900 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1780 on: September 18, 2008, 10:28:52 AM »

okay, the song is growing on me a bit. I can at least listen to it instead of skipping it altogether on my demo playlist. Axl's voice sounds pretty great.
Slowly winning you over.  There we go.  Get into the spirit.  Honestly though, same thing happened to me.  I was a bit shocked the first time I heard it, but it didn't take long for me to get over that and love the song.  Axl does sound great, that's the truth.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #1781 on: September 18, 2008, 12:31:11 PM »

So I finally heard "Shackler's Revenge" and I like it; I think it's a good song; it's solid. It's not great, however. It doesn't blow me away like most of the new songs have. It kinda reminds me "I.R.S." in the sense that it becomes a bit repetitive. I don't have an XBOX 360 or anything like that (the last game console I bought was a Nintendo Gamecube), but I imagine "Shackler's Revenge" being a good fit for that game; and it's probably a pretty difficult song to play.

I don't think it'd make a good single, though. If this is the first song people hear from Chinese Democracy there will be a lot of comments like "It took Axl 13 million dollars to make THIS?" "It took Axl a decade to make THIS?" Of course, there will be people who say that no matter how genius the songs are, but I feel "Shackler's Revenge" doesn't even compare to "Better" and "TWAT" and "The Blues" and all these other amazing songs that will be on Chinese Democracy. And even a lot of people in this thread have said that it took them a few listens before they really started to fall in love with the song, and you always want singles to make an immediate impact on the listener.

Here Today . . .
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1782 on: September 18, 2008, 12:35:13 PM »

Interesting how you chose the ONE negative article about the song to agree with, disregarding the fact that the reviewer said it would be a hit.  Obviously you don't like the song, and that's fine.  Not every song needs to be deep and meaningful.  Was "It's So Easy" deep?  How about "Yesterdays"?

As for BBF not getting any writing credits.  I think someone brought this up before, but I don't think Slash received writing credits on songs like NR or Estranged, and he obviously came up with the guitar parts.  So just cuz someone doesn't get a writing credit doesn't necessarily mean they're not on the track.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #1783 on: September 18, 2008, 12:36:36 PM »

I don't think Shackler's will be on any Greatest Hits compilations in the future. I must say I agree with you on it's life span. I don't see this song standing the test of time. The reason GNR is still one of the most popular rock bands in the world, isn't because they did created a new style of music. I always read that GNR started this revolution. Really, they just brought rock n' roll back to the forefront. They brought back the raunch of 70's Rolling Stones, Aerosmith and put their own stamp on it. That style of Rock n roll they played is timeless, but I always worry when bands start going into the machine driven territory, keyboards(when not used properly) the dance beats etc. I laughed when Oh My God came out. I just remember thinking, this is what Reznor has been trying to do for years, and Axl did it better in his first try. Obviously that's just my opinion but I would have been happy if he left the Industrial sound at that. I think bands do themselves a disservice when they water down their music like that. I think Reznor is a good songwriter, and when I was young I was in love with Broken, and Pretty hate machine, but I could never listen to them now. They sound dated to me. This song has a pop feel to it, and pop normally wears itself out. I think Axl's voice is what saves this song from being a train wreck. Lyrics can make or break a song for me, and these ain't bad, but nothing to get excited about. Definitely not up par with Axl's past work. In the end it's just a song. I'm really into all the other demos/live songs of this era of GNR, but I think the is the weakest track.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1784 on: September 18, 2008, 01:21:38 PM »

Whatever grannies say, it's all the same to me.

The song really pumps me up. It's like those scenes in stories/films when our heroes stand up to the evils.
I can guarantee 20 million anime fans from all over the world gonna love the song. 

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #1785 on: September 18, 2008, 02:04:59 PM »

I don't think Shackler's will be on any Greatest Hits compilations in the future. I must say I agree with you on it's life span. I don't see this song standing the test of time. The reason GNR is still one of the most popular rock bands in the world, isn't because they did created a new style of music. I always read that GNR started this revolution. Really, they just brought rock n' roll back to the forefront.
SR could very well be a part of a Greatest Hits compilations in the future for exactly the reasons you don't think it will be.

By presenting a new GNR song to the world by this medium, it automically gets imbedded into the kid's minds that play these games because they play it over and over and over to master it and therefore have a unique connection to the song.  That connection is why this song will stand the test of time.  Like you said, this in not a new style of music but by presenting SR through RB2, GNR has once again started a revolution by bringing new rock n' roll back to the forefront and it uniquely belongs to this generation.
headbanger

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #1786 on: September 18, 2008, 02:30:59 PM »

SR could very well be a part of a Greatest Hits compilations in the future for exactly the reasons you don't think it will be.

By presenting a new GNR song to the world by this medium, it automically gets imbedded into the kid's minds that play these games because they play it over and over and over to master it and therefore have a unique connection to the song.  That connection is why this song will stand the test of time.  Like you said, this in not a new style of music but by presenting SR through RB2, GNR has once again started a revolution by bringing new rock n' roll back to the forefront and it uniquely belongs to this generation.

Well I can buy that I guess. I like the idea of it anyway. I still don't really care for the song, but I do like the fact that the Guitar Hero's and the Rock Band's of the world are introducing rock music to the youngins. They've been spoon fed the 50 Cent, and Britney Spears long enough.
Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1787 on: September 18, 2008, 02:32:28 PM »

but I do like the fact that the Guitar Hero's and the Rock Band's of the world are introducing rock music to the youngins. They've been spoon fed the 50 Cent, and Britney Spears long enough.

Well we DO agree on something.  Smiley

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #1788 on: September 18, 2008, 02:40:25 PM »

Well we DO agree on something.  Smiley
[/quote]

Amazing, aint it!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1789 on: September 18, 2008, 02:44:18 PM »

My wife, NOT the biggest GnR fan in the world (she's partial to the hits, but other than that....), has been singing the song all day long.  It's completely stuck in her head....we played it 2 or 3 times last night during a rock band session with a friend of ours.  She's hooked on it.

I think that's probably the reaction GnR was hoping for.  Whether it's the typical one, or not...we'll see.  But it's been pretty amusing for me to catch her humming and singing the song all day long.

Smiley

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1790 on: September 18, 2008, 03:01:34 PM »

My wife, NOT the biggest GnR fan in the world (she's partial to the hits, but other than that....), has been singing the song all day long.  It's completely stuck in her head....we played it 2 or 3 times last night during a rock band session with a friend of ours.  She's hooked on it.

I think that's probably the reaction GnR was hoping for.  Whether it's the typical one, or not...we'll see.  But it's been pretty amusing for me to catch her humming and singing the song all day long.

Smiley

Gotta say I gave it a low rating after first hearing the leak.  But in its glory on RB2 with decent sound etc. I'm loving it.   

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #1791 on: September 18, 2008, 03:05:55 PM »

The song has cool sound affects.
Outside of that and Axl's singing which is on par with his prime days, the song is clearly not a hit for me.

I guess GNR is putting out all the crappy songs on video games and soundtracks and saving the classics for the future release of their albums?

Grin
MNW

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #1792 on: September 18, 2008, 05:09:47 PM »

I do love Axl's deep voice at the beginning of the song. That's one of the things I've always loved most about Axl is his many different voices. You listen to "It's So Easy," "Mr. Brownstone," "Sweet Child O'Mine," "Down on the Farm," "The Garden" and they all sound like a totally different person is singing. I don't know of any other singer out there who is able to change his voice in as many different ways and styles as Axl.

Here Today . . .
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #1793 on: September 18, 2008, 05:37:52 PM »

the chorus is great.

But i dont like the rest of it, i hate the digital guitar tones n the silly malfunctioning gameboy sounding guitar solo tone.

html sucks
Gargh!
Rocker

Danny Cockroach

« Reply #1794 on: September 18, 2008, 05:45:43 PM »

As for BBF not getting any writing credits.  I think someone brought this up before, but I don't think Slash received writing credits on songs like NR or Estranged, and he obviously came up with the guitar parts.  So just cuz someone doesn't get a writing credit doesn't necessarily mean they're not on the track.

You're right - credit for writing a song is only given to the writer of the lyric and melody (so guitar solos, bass fills etc. are not included).

Welcome to the ZooFarm: www.myspace.com/dannycockrach

Please check us out and leave us some feedback.  If you live near us, it'd be great to see you at a show or something.  Rock on!
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1795 on: September 18, 2008, 06:16:50 PM »

I will soon hear for myself and get to judge this song.  I think I'm almost at unlocking it!!  Been playing for like 6 hours  confused     

However, I'm hoping it's not true about people comparing this song to OMG!  I really wasn't a fan of that song.  The reason was because I couldn't even really hear or understand Axl.  Way too much shit going on for my liking. 

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
Chandler
Headliner

« Reply #1796 on: September 18, 2008, 10:08:21 PM »

Doesn't sound like OMG to me at all.  It has alot more to it....It did however take a few listens to get use to, but now I'm thinking it is really cool!

It don't really matter...
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #1797 on: September 18, 2008, 11:30:49 PM »

OMG is an electonica based song with guitars in it

Shackler's is a guitar based song with electronica elements in it

The only vague similarity is the "dancy" rhythm section during the pre-chorus/hook

At least that's my take
Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #1798 on: September 18, 2008, 11:32:51 PM »

The only vague similarity is the "dancy" rhythm section during the pre-chorus/hook
and I love that part! Cheesy

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1799 on: September 18, 2008, 11:37:27 PM »

Smiley
That's awesome pilferk.  Great to hear stuff like that.

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 105 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: