Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 02:29:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Shackler's Revenge Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 105 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shackler's Revenge Discussion  (Read 474872 times)
GNRVahland
Rocker

All Quiet on the Western Front

« Reply #1760 on: September 17, 2008, 02:08:02 PM »

FINALLY unlocked this song overnight. Had a blast playing it... mostly cuz I wasn't playing the guitar on it!

Unlocking means being able to listen to the original ? And does the console version sound different from the forbidden leak that circulates around the net ?

Lastly, some folks have been asking about the status of the previously discussed Jukebox Mode. This mode was removed from Rock Band 2 in the final stages of development. We have no immediate plans to bring this feature back to the platform in the future.

Hope this clears up any confusion!

source :   http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81247

I don't think it can be ripped !
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #1761 on: September 17, 2008, 02:13:33 PM »

So, regarding this song on the radio....some of you may remember a post I made a week or so ago about them playing here and then getting the cease and desist. Well, they talked about it again yesterday so I sent them an email:

"You got a Cease and Desist on "Shackler's Revenge" simply because you played it to early...EXACTLY like Carlota got one for playing the new Metallica to early...Rock Band 2, the game from which the song came is out now, you can play it now, way to mislead your listeners."

So then they wrote me back....

"sorry you are incorrect. The single was released to us from the record label who is now in a legal dispute with GnR. I am not in the business of trying to "mislead" anyone.
Craig"

I don't know where they got that from, I just found it interesting.

Axl is God.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1762 on: September 17, 2008, 02:24:30 PM »

I have a few questions.

I know shacklers revenge is an "official song"..
but how official is it ?

1- is it a chinese democracy single ?
2-if it's not a single, do we have confirmation that it will be on Chidem ?
3-Can I buy it anywhere ? I didn't find it on itunes..
4-is it like an OH MY GOD thing where GNR just gives us a bone and it's got nothing to do with CD ?

Thank you.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
GNRVahland
Rocker

All Quiet on the Western Front

« Reply #1763 on: September 17, 2008, 02:32:39 PM »

but how official is it ?

4-is it like an OH MY GOD thing where GNR just gives us a bone and it's got nothing to do with CD ?

1- Will Chinese democracy ever be released ? ... and it probably won't be a single (just the first new music...)
2- Harmonix told SR was from the forthcoming album so that means "Yes".
3- Not (yet)
4- Maybe...
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #1764 on: September 17, 2008, 02:46:05 PM »

unless he was using a digitech whammy pedal. its a pitch shifter, which is why it sounds like a fretless guitar. he may also be using a glass slide. im an experianced player myself and this is just what it sounds like to me. it very well could be Ron and at first i thought it was, but being that Bucket is credited on the song, i think Bucket using the whammy is more plausible.
No. Just no.

If you're really a experienced guitar player, you would know:

1 - glass slide can't be used to shred like that. And it would make some hiss noise when on a slide
2 - a whammy is a foot control pedal which can't be as smooth as a fretless. Ron don't play the solo using octaves like Buckethead in other GNR songs. And Bucket would have to control all the slides with his foot (including sliding back).
3 - the tone, the style and the sound aren't from a fretted guitar nor from Buckethead.

Just listen to any BBF album and you'll recognize his fretless.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1765 on: September 17, 2008, 03:10:26 PM »

"Get ready for "Shackler's Revenge." The track from the upcoming Guns N' Roses album Chinese Democracy will appear on the video game Rock Band 2, slated for release for the Xbox 360 platform in September."

http://web.gunsnroses.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080714&content_id=a1&vkey=news&fext=.jsp
 Cool
ToonGuns
Headliner

Invest in those memories!

« Reply #1766 on: September 17, 2008, 03:12:30 PM »

unless he was using a digitech whammy pedal. its a pitch shifter, which is why it sounds like a fretless guitar. he may also be using a glass slide. im an experianced player myself and this is just what it sounds like to me. it very well could be Ron and at first i thought it was, but being that Bucket is credited on the song, i think Bucket using the whammy is more plausible.
No. Just no.

1 - glass slide can't be used to shred like that. And it would make some hiss noise when on a slide
2 - a whammy is a foot control pedal which can't be as smooth as a fretless. Ron don't play the solo using octaves like Buckethead in other GNR songs. And Bucket would have to control all the slides with his foot (including sliding back).
3 - the tone, the style and the sound aren't from a fretted guitar nor from Buckethead.

As a big fan of both guitarists I have to say that I agree with this completely.

A bad day in Rock N Roll is better than a good day at work!

Leeds Festival, UK - 23/08/2002
Download Festival, UK - 11/06/2006
Newcastle Arena, UK - 19/07/2006
Nottingham Arena, UK - 19/05/2012
AC
Rocker

« Reply #1767 on: September 17, 2008, 08:48:43 PM »

The style of this song is very reminiscent of music by Massive Attack, Sneaker Pimps and very close to Tricky (who was initially part of Massive Attack). Check out a new Tricky song called "C'mon Baby" if you want to see what I mean.

a.

The more I read the more I'm confused, but the more interested I get...
Hoosier
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1768 on: September 17, 2008, 09:57:32 PM »

No. Just no.

As a big fan of both guitarists I have to say that I agree with this completely.

ill take your guy's word for it for now since im in the minority, again, i do think it could be Rob, but with Bucket credited in with the writing i was thinking about how he would be able to do that solo. my "glass slide theory" was just in reference to the begining of the solo where the harmonics are. dosnt mean he'd have to use it for the whole thing, and the pitch shiffting being controld with your foot dosnt make that solo impossible by any means.

someone mentioned asking Rob about the solo/song, is that a possible thing to do? why not just go straight to the guy

ever been in an earthquake motherfucker?!?!
ben9785
« Reply #1769 on: September 17, 2008, 10:02:36 PM »

I have a few questions.

I know shacklers revenge is an "official song"..
but how official is it ?

Thank you.

1. No it has not been indicated as a single as yet.
2. Yes there has been indication from some sources here, as well as general promotion which indicates this is one track off the forthcoming album
3. No can't buy it anywhere officially/legally yet. Thats what we are all waiting and hoping for.
4. No, as said above, this song is one song off however many tracks will be off the "Chinese Democracy" album. So believe it or not, we've got 1 part of the album now Smiley
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #1770 on: September 17, 2008, 10:57:41 PM »

Did the vocals on Shackler's the other night.  I like the song, I wouldn't say I love it, but it's a good song, but for Rock Band... absolutely horrible.

you really can't "sing" along to most of the song b/c of all the extra effects they put on the vocals and the guitar (if you can call it that) sounds more like a robot then a guitar.  The whole time I was wishing I was singing an old Guns tune.  I doubt I'll ever put it on again.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1771 on: September 17, 2008, 11:13:49 PM »

No. Just no.

It sounds more like Bumble to me on the solos as well.  I thought the guitar sounded fretless... My guitar teacher, who is a virtuoso after a quick listen thought it was whammy... who knows..   confused
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1772 on: September 17, 2008, 11:14:40 PM »

Did the vocals on Shackler's the other night.  I like the song, I wouldn't say I love it, but it's a good song, but for Rock Band... absolutely horrible.

you really can't "sing" along to most of the song b/c of all the extra effects they put on the vocals and the guitar (if you can call it that) sounds more like a robot then a guitar.  The whole time I was wishing I was singing an old Guns tune.  I doubt I'll ever put it on again.

I said from Day One, put a classic on every drunk girl and guy on the planet have freaking heard before.  Not a good venue to experiment....  Oh well, atleast we got a song  ok
Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #1773 on: September 17, 2008, 11:34:27 PM »

someone mentioned asking Rob about the solo/song, is that a possible thing to do? why not just go straight to the guy
Not needed. It is Ron Thal playing the solo.

It sounds more like Bumble to me on the solos as well.  I thought the guitar sounded fretless... My guitar teacher, who is a virtuoso after a quick listen thought it was whammy... who knows..   confused
lol, a guitar virtuoso that can't recognize a fretless guitar tone? That's why he doesn't play a fretless... his ears aren't good enough I guess. hihi

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
nekomex
Rocker

« Reply #1774 on: September 17, 2008, 11:53:12 PM »

in rock band when you sing you hear your voice in the game or the voice of the singer? anyone has a video of them playing, i mean not just the tv, but to see the actual people singing and playing guitar and drums?
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1775 on: September 17, 2008, 11:54:10 PM »

Not needed. It is Ron Thal playing the solo.

lol, a guitar virtuoso that can't recognize a fretless guitar tone? That's why he doesn't play a fretless... his ears aren't good enough I guess. hihi

Well, he only heard it really quick though tiny little speakers with a lot of background.  I will see what he thinks after another listen.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #1776 on: September 18, 2008, 12:18:22 AM »

in rock band when you sing you hear your voice in the game or the voice of the singer? anyone has a video of them playing, i mean not just the tv, but to see the actual people singing and playing guitar and drums?

you can hear both, or you can turn down the volume of the real singer so you'll hear yourself only.  i can't wait to see the youtube videos of people singing this song on expert, its going to be hysterical.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #1777 on: September 18, 2008, 01:09:24 AM »

I would edit that post lord kayoss...
your talking about unreleased material

Discussion about unreleased material has always been permitted here, unless something has recently changed.

Better, CITR, TWAT, IRS, and The Blues all had threads up for discussion.

I posted one regarding "Message For You"/"This I Love".  No links.  No sharing requests.  Just asked if someone knew the official name of the song.

I didn't see a problem with that.

ben9785
« Reply #1778 on: September 18, 2008, 08:12:42 AM »

The style of this song is very reminiscent of music by Massive Attack, Sneaker Pimps and very close to Tricky (who was initially part of Massive Attack). Check out a new Tricky song called "C'mon Baby" if you want to see what I mean.

a.

Yeah, I can hear so many different things in this song, and the great thing is, if people understand it, it is really unique.

All throughout the songs I can hear a bit of Rob Zombie, Prodigy, Nine inch Nails, Primus, and of course.. a GNR melody

And the great thing is it doesn't sound like a rip off or imitiation or anything like that, it genuinely sounds like all of this has come together and fits perfectly.

I'm sure many people don't agree with this, and that's fine.

But honestly the more I hear this song, the more I love it.
Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #1779 on: September 18, 2008, 09:29:01 AM »

okay, the song is growing on me a bit. I can at least listen to it instead of skipping it altogether on my demo playlist. Axl's voice sounds pretty great.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 105 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: