Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2024, 09:56:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228077 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  G&R songs explained, visions and taiste.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: G&R songs explained, visions and taiste.  (Read 51527 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2008, 11:27:34 AM »

^so axl is bullshitting on live era?
I am not familiar with what Axl said on Live Era but the song is about a dog.  (Listen to it again with that in mind and it's pretty clear ... disappointing, but clear)

It's like one of those 'metaphor' things .... a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance.

I can say with almost 100% certainty that there are no ex-lovers buried in any Gunner's (past or present) backyard.

P.S.  that nin guy really didn't pee on Robin's boots after he left to join GNR neither

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2008, 11:55:11 AM »

^so axl is bullshitting on live era?
I am not familiar with what Axl said on Live Era but the song is about a dog.  (Listen to it again with that in mind and it's pretty clear ... disappointing, but clear)

I can say with almost 100% certainty that there are no ex-lovers buried in any Gunner's (past or present) backyard.

this is pretty much what axl said back then..

this is something of GNR lies, now if you know anything about us, we write our songs with a base of element of truth, this is the only song we've written out of like fantasy and a joke because ?t's kind of a sick subject but sometimes u think about it when your girlfriend or boyfriend is just a pain in the fucking ass and u wish you could just cut their fucking head off and stuff it in a bag and stick it in the backyard this is something called i used to love her but i had to kill her

even though wikipedia says something else i take axl's word for wikipedia, choose yourself what u wanna believe ok

P.S.  that nin guy really didn't pee on Robin's boots after he left to join GNR neither
wow, you don't think? boy u must be smart
It's like one of those 'metaphor' things .... a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance.

but really.. stop acting smart, most of us here knows what a metaphor and figure of speech means.. and we actually don't believe all we read on wikipedia either Tongue
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2008, 12:12:06 PM »

Wow I didn't see that coming. This is the first I've heard that the song is about a dog. Actually now the song makes more sense in the metaphor........... hihi
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2008, 01:07:59 PM »

wow, you don't think? boy u must be smart

but really.. stop acting smart, most of us here knows what a metaphor and figure of speech means.. and we actually don't believe all we read on wikipedia either Tongue

I wasn't trying to act smart ... quite the contrary.  I had never heard of a metaphor and thought the Robin story was true until someone on this board (jnn) explained it to me in this thread:

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=18209.0

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2008, 01:13:35 PM »

Wow I didn't see that coming. This is the first I've heard that the song is about a dog.

I think axl said that later as a joke.

I like your interpretations bitch Slap. 
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2008, 01:13:59 PM »

http://gnrsource.com/songinfo/lies/utlh.htm
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2008, 01:50:01 PM »

So it was slash and contradicting izzys account. like cheap jon I go with axls.
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2008, 03:46:36 PM »

Wow I didn't see that coming. This is the first I've heard that the song is about a dog.

I think axl said that later as a joke.

I like your interpretations bitch Slap. 

Thanks.... Wink
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2008, 10:13:40 AM »

We've already covered You're Crazy so on to the next track:

One in a million

This song caused allot of controversy. I?d like to think of this song more of describing the ?writing on the wall? than a subjective point of view of one?s opinion. Axel covers it all and includes himself as well as far as what?s written and is apparent in society. I actually like this song because Axel really belts it out. Obviously there?s certain anger in his voice that is voicing out of him about the writing on the wall. It?s a thorn that he would like to remove. The funny part is he is struggling himself to make a living and is trying to survive. But reality of his surroundings is getting him angst. He screams ?you know we tried to reach you but you were much too high?. This has a double edge meaning to it. It could be that you?re far too gone to reason with because you are on some medication and loss all sensibility.
Or you are a power hungry money human-god that has no compassion or concerns for people who you feel are below you in the human-chain of classes. ?I keep it moving along? is the positive arrow that?s going to get you through the writing on the wall. Yes the world is a double-edge sword. You just have to learn when and how you?re going to aim your arrow and hit home. The Son of God once said: ?I didn?t come here to bring peace on Earth. I bought a sword. The sword is to mend the discordant between mother and daughter, father and son, brother and brother.? In other words the only real sane way we?re all going to get through the writing on the wall is to some how learn how to co-exist. A task that is never easy to accomplish.
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2008, 09:34:34 AM »

Reckless Life

This is the classic vision of the Rock & roll musician that flowered from the late sixties and seventies rock. The musicians dream to get into a band with like minded people who are on the path of defying what is politically correct and mainstream puppets. Letting go and standing on their own ground of how they want their lives to be because the majority view is stale and boring.
The partying is the object to bring people like us together. It was never the primary goal of what rock & roll people are all about. Just the match to light our fire in our hearts and soul that brings us something we want other than what is being pushed or offered by aging adults that sold out their early dreams for a tamed boring self-absorbed life that they once frowned upon in their youth. Reckless life is an anti-state of mind that shakes the foundation of any establishment that is slowly being suffocated by cob webs in the attic. You don?t really have to reck your life. But you can be apart of the underground and stay young at heart???even if you are over fifty years old.

beer
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2008, 12:31:47 PM »

Nice Boys

This song is about some girl trying to fit into a scene that is really not cut out for her. She?s looking for a good time and wants to be a part of the rock & roll bad life and finds the bottom of the discarded ugliness that rock & roll sometimes draws. I guess she should of taken the left corner instead of the right corner. Perhaps she might have found a half way decent rock & roller who might have been the closest thing to a nice boy. But playing in the jungle is a gamble. You?ve got to watch both ways of the street before you decide to run.
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2008, 12:14:40 PM »

Move to the City

Here?s a song that is a reflection of Axl. (I?m assuming it?s autobiographical since it?s very similar to his personal life). I like this song. But I really enjoyed the Use Your Illusion live version with the three girls improvising the brass section and than Slash jumping in towards the end with his lead.

Mama Kin

Believe or not this was one of the first songs I learned on the guitar when me and another friend of mine who plays guitar formed our first rock band in 9th grade. We were really into Aerosmith. So for us in retrospect to hear Guns picking up this song as a cover was no surprise. It?s got the great trading of verse/guitar than the whole band kicking in than back to verse/guitar again

Next stop: Use Your Illusion I .........
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2008, 09:45:58 PM »

Let me make this faster for you.

SongMeanings.net

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
St_Jimmyuk
VIP

Im Right next door to hell...

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2008, 07:00:53 AM »

i would like to hear some peoples views on "my world" what was axl thinking when he recorded that  hihi

- They call me Lenny...... But that's not my name, that's not my name.
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2008, 09:54:03 AM »

Let me make this faster for you.

SongMeanings.net
[/quote

Fair enough........ smoking

Now before I move on to Use Illusion I there is a different view that G&R went through with these two cds. G&R's first cd was the view they all shared as struggling artists with all odds against them. They weren't backed by a rich financial backer to make them famous. They were the underdog band that many record industries didn't take seriously. All they had was the five members to rely on. In that bond they had formed a tight group of musicians that stuck together through thick and thin. They never looked back and always had the attitude of "we are not breakable" . We are going to see this through and become the biggest rock band around.
Now after the success of their first cd the view of what I just said magnified. They were no longer the unknown group. They became royalty to the music business. All five members of G&R had to now take on another heavy task of dealing with money and fame. They became huge in a very short time which most artists don't experience. It was an instant lottery. Under these circumstances came the Use your Illusion. (They came from a harsh reality and now was experiencing a new world of Illusion from which fame and fortune can take you on) The flip side of the coin is what Use Illusion is all about. Sometimes it's grand. And sometimes it's a freaking nightmare of Hell............
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2008, 11:15:35 AM »

Right Next Door to Hell

Axl and Izzy who were two easy-going young adults that were once in a struggling band finally are faced with the band becoming a fly under a microscope. Dealing with the success was cramping their style. Record company, lawyers, press, hanger-ons, one night stands. It has its good side. But there is a Hell to it to. The most important part of the members of G&R was now slowly being controlled and pressured. They didn?t like being told what to do. Axl certainly didn?t like being pushed by anyone. It occurred to him that now he had to shield himself from the Hell already dwelling in the G&R camp. Weather it was internal issues within the band that was being invoked by people outside of the band or the operators that were employed to guide the rock group through the business machine, the innocence of having fun in a rock band had left the stage were all five members stood on. At a slow rate the once steady pulse pumping the blood, sweat and tears of G&R was starting to drain the magic they some how stumbled upon only a few years prior launching the rocket into space??..: )
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2008, 09:39:41 AM »

DUST AND BONES

Life on the road as a rock star. The highs and lows in between each show. Izzy certainly was tasting the benefits of being a high-profile rock band. The gang was getting larger. Many more girls who wanted to sleep with the band. The excitement of getting to the stage and trying to deal with the difficult maze that a band has to go through just to create that hour of magic. In this tornado of excellence which a successful band lives upon there is that Pandora?s Box that releases the question of how long can I keep going like this. This is getting too crazy for me. ?Sometimes these things just seem to rip you right in two, oh no man don?t let em get ta you? I?m sure the band had to start shielding themselves from those unnecessary pressures. You?d think from a fan?s point of view or musicians who envy a band who made it are thinking ?Yeah, right. They are living a miserable life. Making all that money and having cart blanch? I?m sure these benefits are not what pressures a band, but the actual physical and mental work to bring it to each town. This is the dark side of being a successful band. And you realize that you really are not immortal and life is very short??and in the end we?re just Dust & Bones.
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2008, 11:37:44 AM »

So it was slash and contradicting izzys account. like cheap jon I go with axls.

Not to beat a dead horse, but when it was released, the band was taking a lot of crap over this song,and others(think Tipper Gore), and I think the Slash comment might have been an effort to "calm the waters".

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2008, 10:20:53 AM »

LIVE AND LET DIE

This song as you know was the main theme song for the James Bond movie of the early ?70?s which bought Roger Moore into the role of 007 to replace Sean Connery. Paul Mc?and Linda his wife wrote this song with the help of George Martin as arranger.
Guns & Roses must have chosen this song for the statement that this song gives when life is somewhat like a ?Do or Die? situation. ?When you?ve got a job to do ya got to do it well???was the internal struggle G&R must have been going through to record Use your Illusion I & II. It?s not easy to meet the high definition of Appetite. Plus letting Steven Adler go from the group and finding a replacement drummer was another burden on the band. I?m sure Matt had it tough as well as Izzy, Slash and Duff to remold the engine again while they are trying to lay down tracks for the new albums. And I?m sure Axl, Slash and the producer were second guessing themselves and each other on what is going to be a permanent take or mix of those songs found on these two legendary lps.
The song itself is a heavier version from the original. Including in the main melody of the horn section is ?Slash? picking out the notes that gives it a more electric guitar version than Paul?s version. Axl really put his heart into this song. He?s not just singing a cover song that will be played on those ?Classic Radio stations? that might refrain from other G&R songs because they might be just too heavy for their station to handle. He is singing it and he means it. I like the scream he releases during the main theme. I remember that year on New Years Eve special held in Times Square by Dick Clark. They showed Guns & Roses performing this song live and it was a hammer coming down onto a New Year. And in those early performances Izzy was still in the band. This song was a great choice for G&R to choose. It fit their mold of blending their hard rock sound with the landscape of horns behind them. When they did this on the DVD Illusion Tour I loved the fact that they even had one of the girls in the brass section play the piccolo (smaller version of a flute) during the song. G&R didn?t skimp on any of the parts of this song even when they played it live.
It?s fun to watch Axl perform this song. He seems to be having a convulsion of pure energy running through him as if someone plugged him into an electrical outlet and there?s an electrical current running through him and seeping out of his finger tips. Very powerful and this is what it?s about when you talk about being an Avenging angel and injecting society with some real good, good, rock and roll that makes you feel like there is nothing in this world you can?t conquer. As long as you put your heart, soul and mind to work!!!

Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2008, 01:06:08 PM »

Don?t Cry

This was the first track I heard on the radio from Use Illusion I. When I listened to it the first time I got a major chill up and down my spine. The mood of this song sets an atmosphere quite different from other G&R songs. In some ways for me it feels like Guns are taking some of the melodic sphere of the mighty Pink Floyd and giving it an American edge to it.
This song was written by Izzy and Axl. I suppose this song can go both ways. It could be a break up song between a man and a woman. Or it could also be a fight and now there?s an apology between the man or woman and everything is great again. But I like to think it?s about two people in love and one of them are going away for awhile and the other is going to miss the hell out of them. ?Ill still be thinking of you and the times we had??can echo that sentiment of missing someone while you are out on the road. This song does dances with many different interpretations for the listener to think, dream and rock by. Once again Slash comes in with a very melodic lead that is singing rather than shredding. Here is also that special thing I wrote in the beginning were David Gilmour is known for. Not just laying any guitar lick but the one that tells a story that is in reference to the sentiment of the song. Slash is one of the few American guitarists that can do this compared to other guitar players. Sometimes being technical is not what a song is about. I?d like to think that Slash first whistled the lead into a tape recorder. Than picked up his axe and found the notes and told the engineer: ?Hey, MF-ucker??que up the section of the lead. I?m putting this down right now and it?s going to be the first and last take!!!?  So the engineer ques it up. Points to Slash and says recording. As Slash is putting it down, the producer and engineer look at each other in awe. And Axl and Izzy smile at each other???..: )

smoking
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: