Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2024, 08:57:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228077 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Ideas for what to do when.. it all starts...?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ideas for what to do when.. it all starts...?  (Read 14409 times)
Cuzon
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2008, 12:57:46 PM »

Interesting man. Hope its true. Its not too late for a 2008 release. If its gets to September without an annoucement then it ain't coming out 2008 in my opinion...
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2008, 02:56:01 PM »

What can we, the fans do to help make som buzz around the release.

Number one, buy the album.

Occasionally you see posters saying things like "I want to make sure it's worth the money before buying". What kind of a fan are you?

Spending $10-30 (depending on where you live) on a new GN'R CD is too much?

If it's a lot of money, maybe you could cut down on those Starbucks visits for a few weeks and save the money.....  Wink

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2008, 03:01:03 PM »

I know a couple of people myself included buying a couple of copies to give to friends and family. So that'll certainly help if the album gets others excited enough to share.

I'm curious to what the status is. We were getting pretty steady updates in April and since then it seems like all discussion and activity has dropped to a minimum.

Huh

bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2008, 03:28:18 PM »

I know a couple of people myself included buying a couple of copies to give to friends and family. So that'll certainly help if the album gets others excited enough to share.

I'll definitely be buying more than one copy.  I've taken enough crap from a few folks over the years for continuing to believe in GnR that I'm gonna force this fucker down their throats when it's out!!!

I'm curious to what the status is. We were getting pretty steady updates in April and since then it seems like all discussion and activity has dropped to a minimum.

This is the calm before the storm.  I don't think we'll hear anything else in regards to updates until the details have been worked out, and they can give us a release date they're confident in...  Once that happens, there will be more discussion going on than you'll know what to do with!!!
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2008, 03:53:28 PM »

What can we, the fans do to help make som buzz around the release.

Number one, buy the album.

Occasionally you see posters saying things like "I want to make sure it's worth the money before buying". What kind of a fan are you?

If it's a lot of money, maybe you could cut down on those Starbucks visits for a few weeks and save the money.....  Wink

/jarmo

Uh, hope that was not minted on me, because if there is on fucker on this planet that will buy the album, that sure will be mr Nytun!
And sure, thats the first thing to do, when it drops.. But what i was thinking of, with the start of this thread, was getting GNR fans
together and do some stuff, around the release, or when the promotion stuff starts.. Some of us have waited a long time, or, actually
not nessecery waiting, but at least always been interested in GnR. And it would be cool to make some effort to show support!

And, im still going to use my money on Coffie, because coffie fucking rocks.. but im sure to always have enough to buy a couple of albums..

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2008, 04:11:42 PM »

It wasn't aimed at you, it was just an answer to your question.  ok

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2008, 04:13:15 PM »

I will post bulletins, buy a copy on Itunes and a physical release. if there are more than one version, ill buy it also.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2008, 04:20:26 PM »

This is the calm before the storm.  I don't think we'll hear anything else in regards to updates until the details have been worked out, and they can give us a release date they're confident in...  Once that happens, there will be more discussion going on than you'll know what to do with!!!

Hope so man. It's deathly quiet. Eerily quiet.
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2008, 04:55:04 PM »

yeah to buy the cd seems well worth it.and see g n' r as many times as i can in concert.when it does come out  though.i will be blairing it off my deck.while toasting some beers to axl for putting it out.so until then i can wait an see what happens.sometimes it gets to quiet around these parts for news.but it keeps you coming back in hopes each day still.so i will do that for now.have hopes '

the one an only horsey !
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2008, 05:13:39 PM »

a real fan?  Tongue
knowing it will be more than well worth the money judging from the materials heard so far, I personally have no problem with comments like that if they don't come from the 'the band owes me!' 'the band should do this and that!' type fans.

/jarmo

and if you can't afford your local edition, there's always Amazon us.   ok
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2008, 05:24:28 PM »

Best Buy always has new cds for 9.99 when they first come out. so who cant afford that

if u are really poor, Ill buy a copy for u and mail it to u.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2008, 05:49:15 PM »

If you are a Guns N Roses fan, and cant afford to buy a copy of theyr album. Then you should not afford the computer your downloading it from. You should neather affored using your time on a GnR message board. Buy the album, and drink less beer on the releaseparty ok

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2008, 06:59:07 PM »

We can talk about this until the cows come home if you want to, but it depends entirely on the medium in which the album is released. If released as a download, marketing differs. If released as a hard-copy, marketing differs.

But the important thing is that the album adapts for the digital age. Very few companies and artists have done this, but there are some ahead of the curve. The music and movie industry is rapidly changing and few are adapting, let alone ahead of the curve.

The essential thing is viral marketing and I'd recommend a partnership with Apple. By using a social networking site such as MySpace and Facebook, you allow access to your music for free while generating word of mouth about your product. We all will come into play with this as well. Jarmo tells his friend to buy the album, his friend tells his other friend who doesn't really like the band, who tells his girlfriend, who tells her friends, etc. etc. Word of mouth is very important and viral marketing is the new way to do it.

I don't think that the album will (or should be) free online, however I do believe that digital downloads for the entire album is a great idea. Set prices for different quality, etc., and a partnership with Apple would be very advantageous. By having a partnership with Apple and an official iTunes store, you would allow people to download behind-the-scenes videos and other media (podcasts with Del James and the band members occasionally?) you would also bring in some money that way. A partnership with Apple would gain exposure on their website "Featured Content" and "Top Artists" and also on their iTunes store, which provides a medium to access the material while you bring in "the American Idol" crowd and gain new fans.

Steve Jobs plugging the album or flicking through it during an iPhone/iPod Touch demo at one of the Apple keynotes would instantly inspire thousands of Apple Fanboys to download a single the very least. Nothing against the band, but they need to grow their online community and show concern for their fanbase. Look at that stupid clip of Madonna vaccuuming on YouTube, if Axl said, "Hey what's up this is Axl and me and Baz are going out for drinks later and we just wanted to say hi, we can't wait to see you on tour this fall" or something along those lines, this forum would go bat-shit crazy.

In short I recommend:
  • New MySpace Page with songs from the album + MySpace "Chinese Democracy" ads.
  • Ability to download the album via GunsNRoses.com with high-quality files for audiophiles.
  • Revamped iTunes Store with possible partnership with Apple.
  • Content such as videos and podcasts offered free providing rewards and incentives for fans.
  • The already in-place Dr. Pepper campaign including TV Commercial.
  • Primetime TV spot during popular TV show maximizing the casual GNR crowd.

Anyway, there are pretty much endless possibilities, but Axl is a seasoned vet and Irving and Andy are also smart guys, so I'm sure they'll work out something great.

Excellent post Mr. Bucketfoot! And I agree on all fronts.beer

If the band and new management could pull all that off, and if the hard core cadre of GN'R fans like ourselves do our part by talking up the album to everyone we know and buying multiple copies (as gifts, etc.)... I don't think anything can hold GN'R back...

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2008, 08:32:09 PM »

As far as purchasing goes my list remains the same:

1 physical CD copy (assuming it's released as such)

1 vinyl LP copy for my living room wall (again, assuming it's released as such)

1 legal download each of any bonus tracks or alternate mixes that may be released.

And ofcourse tickets to as many future shows I can attend.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2008, 11:03:19 PM »

I think there's alot of pressure for the record company to put this album out due to the DR. Pepper press release.  I doubt the last thing they want to do is blow a good opportunity when it fell right into their laps.  I say release it sept then it would be a big christmas item.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2008, 11:13:48 PM »

Somehow I doubt Dr. Pepper would put that significant pressure on the Record Company. They obviously want the album out probably as quickly as possible while the band wants it out when the time is right. It's probably a war of ideology. I'm sure that it did put some pressure on though. As it would be great, free press and the goal is to have it out by then anyway.

Personally, I think that the best time would be late Summer around August. There's a lot of momentum coming out of Summer and it would hit everyone just at the right time. Then you'd have a nice Fall tour in support. Smiley
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2008, 12:21:32 PM »

Wow. If this sight and all the other G&R sights are amped for the release of the new G&R cd's than I'm confident that they are going to sell millions and millions of units. This is going to be like the return of Elvis back in 1968!!! We're probably not even going to be able to get tickects to the concerts because it's going to be sold out in the first ten minutes by ticket companies. Than their going to jack up the price twice as much. This is going to be really good.......I can't wait for the sledge-hammer to come down!!!!
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2008, 01:26:10 PM »

I'd actually quite like a break - timeout from chasing updates on forums; time to listen and enjoy the music, enjoy GNR's regularly updated website, watch a new film featuring a GNR song, read about the band in the press, understand Axl's story on the making, etc etc

As many people have said I think some of us have been very patient and its only right one day that we will be treated to all of the above - and if GNR do that well they shouldn't need to bother about us having to make street teams or any of that kind of stuff.

Andrew

Here today...ready to rock
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2008, 10:33:17 AM »

i'm gonna hope Dr. Pepper mixes well with whiskey  beer

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2008, 05:47:22 PM »

/jarmo

Yeah Starbucks blows... and it's the biggest overrated thing I can think of.

But yeah, buy the cd, no matter how much money it is (knock on wood).  hihi

Gn'R is Gn'R even if I don't really care for the new members.

We need to splash the stores... make copies move.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: