Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 10:54:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Is it possible.....
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is it possible.....  (Read 43968 times)
Tuca_
Opening Act

The book is on the table - Did not I speak ingles

« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2008, 04:38:23 PM »

The musics than it is to recede on the Internet , they are execelentes can await um ample I dial. The music Better is fantastic , it doesn't let he swims wishing. The disk he goes being um success , it is enough he casts lo. Is awaiting the one Axl at the Brazil. beer
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 04:44:01 PM by Tuca_ » Logged
doooodickiebr
VIP

Police and niggaz...get outta my way!

« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2008, 05:33:27 PM »

The musics than it is to recede on the Internet , they are execelentes can await um ample I dial. The music Better is fantastic , it doesn't let he swims wishing. The disk he goes being um success , it is enough he casts lo. Is awaiting the one Axl at the Brazil. beer

WHAT?Huh??

Baton Rouge, LA 1992
New Orleans, LA 1992
Biloxi, MS  2002 Cancelled!!!!
Kansas City, MO 2011
New Orleans, LA 2016
Houston, TX 2016
New Orleans, LA 2019
Biloxi, MS 2023
Tuca_
Opening Act

The book is on the table - Did not I speak ingles

« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2008, 06:28:17 PM »

WHAT?Huh??
I I don't know speak ingles , but the one to valley is the aim. peace
I use those translators on linear , but it appears no it works very happily.  hihi
I spoke what the Chinese goes shift the world from musical.  ok
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 06:42:02 PM by Tuca_ » Logged
Shoeboy517
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2008, 07:59:03 PM »

I think it'll sell well, by whatever the current standard is.  The way audiences are splintered now there aren't any runaway record-breaking albums anymore, at least none that aren't being pushed by Fox or Disney or Walmart.  It'll be an event, just not a culture-altering event.  I'm just hoping for a good Guns album at this point. ok
maynard
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2008, 11:12:55 PM »

I was afraid the post would end like that.  Embarrassed
ToonGuns
Headliner

Invest in those memories!

« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2008, 12:51:29 AM »

I hope so, I was far too young to witness all that illusions stuff (only 2). It would be great though everywhere you go chinese democracy is there, on the radio, internet adds, T.V adds, music tv stations playin new gnr videos as well as old-(just for the sake of it), the cd bein rotated constantly in music shops, billboards posters, interviews etc..

Kinda the way amrican idiot was for green day, only this time it will be for a good product hihi

Agree with you there - Green Day suck. Just goes to show how a massive marketing budget can go far and it doesn't matter how good the product being sold is. When the marketing is carried out to the extent that American Idiot was (and in the UK I've seen similar promotions for the recent Chilli Peppers album, Killers second album etc etc) it just annoys you and in my case actually puts me off wanting to buy the record.

Difference here is I wouldn't have thought GnR will need anywhere near that kind of marketing as the thing will sell itself and Axl and co will get so much free publicity, as opposed to the staged publicity purchased on a marketing contract.

A bad day in Rock N Roll is better than a good day at work!

Leeds Festival, UK - 23/08/2002
Download Festival, UK - 11/06/2006
Newcastle Arena, UK - 19/07/2006
Nottingham Arena, UK - 19/05/2012
surforia
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2008, 01:18:10 AM »

^uh, green day doesn't suck.  they made a grammy-winning rock opera that was as politically charged as it was commercially successful.  just because you don't like them doesn't mean they "suck."   i'd like to see another three piece band sell out Giant's Stadium.  if you want suck, please see limp bizkit.  regardless, your point is well-taken... in order to be commercially successful in the U.S., you have to appeal to the kids, and it will have to seem fresh to them.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2008, 12:22:59 PM »

Yes it can be done

However, based on the behavior of Axl/this band over the past decade, I would'nt hold out hope

The material , I believe, is good enough / will be good enough to put this particular band back on the mainstream map, but ......
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2008, 03:02:28 PM »

I've always felt that the rock-groups that really leave a mark usually will be listened to after we are all long gone. My taiste of music is very particular. While other folks will listen to anything under the sun. I came across G&R from their first MTV video welcome to the jungle. I would drop by a friends house after work everyday to watch the current Hard- Rock / Heavy Metal groups. At that time every rock group was imitating or trying to look like Bon-Jovi or Van Halen. I remember my sentiment was oh here we go again with another hair-band jumping on the band wagon of following what is selling by the record companies. Than that one afternoon my friend said to me I want you to check out this new group called Guns & Roses. He que'd up the video and I sat there watching Welcome to the Jungle. I had to admit that what I was viewing was no ordinary follow the leader group. By the end of the video I turned to my friend and said these guys are going to be big. Very big. (They just released the MTV Video so they were nobody). Sure enough my instincts were correct. The truth of the matter is the real great groups who are remembered forever are the ones who possess magic that is not manufactured, manipulated by the record industry by clever marketing, promotions or rigged Grammy Awards. That's the truth weather you agree or not. It's the group themselves that somehow stumbled upon something that is not of this planet. Guns & Roses had this. And when I saw the original line up open for Aerosmith and Deep Purple it was evident in their performance. I knew than that the album wasn't just doctored by clever studio tricks to make a group sound great. It was the real thing. Plus groups like Guns have something to proove to the world. That's the key. Most groups today don't have anything to proove. Now I'm not putting groups like this down. But most of them will not be remembered a hundred years from now. Think of it this way. Beethoven and Mozart are still highly listened to in the classical music crowd. These two guys come from an era that's 400years ago....(give or take the years). Why is that? I'm sure their were hundreds of classical composers back than. But out of all of them there are only at best 20 composers that people today still listen to their music. Why? Because Beethoven and Mozart had something in their heart, mind and soul that they needed to proove to the world. And they did. (By the way......they didn't have Grammy Awards back than. At best the King would give them a pat on the back for writing or performing a composition. ok
surforia
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2008, 04:32:21 PM »

^ One can only hope our society is enlightened enough, in the year 2408, to still be rocking out to AFD. ok
EvilSmurf
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2008, 10:26:31 AM »

Depends on what you mean by "rule the world".

Popular music is generally a young person's game, and by that standard GNR is an old band. People have strong emotional ties to the original music (even alot of young people who listen to old records) and the mythology behind CD is gigantic... so when that album drops it will be the biggest story in music and possibly the #1 record on the charts. But I don't think GNR will be THE band, but I could be wrong. There certainly has been a void for quite some time pretty much since GNR fell off the map.

U2 managed to stay huge after getting "old", but the difference is they are not a hard rock band.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2008, 09:37:39 PM »

Popular music is generally a young person's game, and by that standard GNR is an old band. People have strong emotional ties to the original music (even alot of young people who listen to old records) and the mythology behind CD is gigantic... so when that album drops it will be the biggest story in music and possibly the #1 record on the charts. But I don't think GNR will be THE band, but I could be wrong. There certainly has been a void for quite some time pretty much since GNR fell off the map.

U2 managed to stay huge after getting "old", but the difference is they are not a hard rock band.

I have to say i agree with that assessment

BTW awesome user Name Man! GNAP!   hihi

ToonGuns
Headliner

Invest in those memories!

« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2008, 02:22:33 AM »

Any many (including me!!) would argue that U2 are massively overated.

A bad day in Rock N Roll is better than a good day at work!

Leeds Festival, UK - 23/08/2002
Download Festival, UK - 11/06/2006
Newcastle Arena, UK - 19/07/2006
Nottingham Arena, UK - 19/05/2012
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2008, 09:44:50 AM »

Yeah rock & roll is a young mans game. But great music is a genius game. Last year I went to see Roger Waters at the Madison Square Garden. Roger is 62 years old. It was a sold out show.
How old is Axl? About 43? .......I think he will do alright.......... beer
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2008, 10:33:03 AM »

I don't care if guns n'roses is not the most dangerous band in the world. after all, it was just marketing.

do you really think guns was "dangerous" in 1987 or 1992 ? as Axl said himself, where's the true danger
when gangsta rap exists ? did you see Alice Cooper shooting someone in real life with a gun ? or Slash
killing a guy with a knife ? I mean, there were a lot of artists more dangerous than guns n'roses.

they were wild, impredictable, and most important thing to my eyes, they do music like anyone else.
so yes, there's a place for guns n'roses today. a big one.

Axl is a rock n'roll king, he certainly needs some success for himself and the band, but he surely needs
more musical recognition.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2008, 10:37:58 AM »

The difference between GNR and U2 is that U2 has stayed active. Plain and simple. They've basically stayed on the mountain top as the widely reguarded, current rock gods. The only thing GNR has going for it is that the respect and rock cred they had gives them about a half mile headstart up that Rock God mountain above the younger and current rock bands. It's still going to be a very hard, steep climb for them. Probably impossible, too.

And not only has U2 stayed active musically, but the albums they've released have been huge sellers and crictically acclaimed, not to mention each album has been nominated for a shitload of grammy's.

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2008, 10:44:10 AM »

And not only has U2 stayed active musically, but the albums they've released have been huge sellers and crictically acclaimed, not to mention each album has been nominated for a shitload of grammy's.

Do you remember 1997 and an album named Pop?

They definitely took a few steps back with that album and tour.

But still, the fact remains, you can be very successful even if you're not an angry 20 year old anymore.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2008, 10:49:51 AM »

Whitesnake have got an album of new material that went straight in at number 7 in the uk album chart. i think that a new GnR record woudl go to number 1 and stay there for a few weeks if not more..

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2008, 10:52:29 AM »

Do you remember 1997 and an album named Pop?

They definitely took a few steps back with that album and tour.

But still, the fact remains, you can be very successful even if you're not an angry 20 year old anymore.

/jarmo

That album was still big, considering. And at the time it was released it received the best reviews of any other U2 album. The fact that a lot of people didn't "get it" doesn't make it a mega failure people try to label it as today.

It sure as hell didn't hurt their careers, though, did it?

And he can be successful still, but I think the point f this thread was asking if they could be "as successful" which I highly doubt, no matter how good the music is.

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2008, 10:53:38 AM »

Whitesnake have got an album of new material that went straight in at number 7 in the uk album chart. i think that a new GnR record woudl go to number 1 and stay there for a few weeks if not more..

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: