Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 09:08:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  BAZ Interview (Mention AXL)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BAZ Interview (Mention AXL)  (Read 12362 times)
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« on: April 16, 2008, 12:59:39 AM »

Sebastian Bach, whose latest album Angel Down was released last November, will spend this summer shrieking in ampitheatres across America as part of the annual hair-band tour headlined by Poison.

But wait, didn?t the ex-Skid Row singer once throw interviewer George Stroumboulopoulos out of his Broadway dressing room ? when Bach was starring in Jekyll & Hyde ? for bringing up the name of the band he?s going to open for?

?When you?re doing a show on Broadway there are so many interviews,? explains Bach in an interview this afternoon with Scrolling Eye. ?I was doing at least 10 of them every day, people telling me how proud they were of me for pulling it off, the first guy to ever go from heavy metal to Broadway ? not a touring production or dinner theatre, but actual Broadway.

?And I hear MuchMusic were coming to interview me ? the same station where I once walked in to tell them I was joining a band called Madam X from Detroit, and they reported it that same day with a picture of me on the screen. So, this was an exciting reunion I was looking forward to.

?But then this guy George walks in, and he?s got the biggest black cloud over his fucking head. The first thing he asks me is how I feel about my old band playing with Poison? If this guy was going to come all the way there to be such a cock to me I had every right to kick him out of my room.

?I see he?s still putting on that attitude on his show [The Hour]? it makes me want to crawl through the television and punch him in the face.?

Plenty of mileage was gotten out of that MuchMusic interview, of course, falling in line with Bach?s transition from stage musicals ? he later starred in a touring production of Jesus Christ Superstar ? to video verit? for VH1 and MTV: making-the-metal-band series SuperGroup, a special called I Married? Sebastian Bach and Celebrity Rap Superstar. There was also a recurring role on Gilmore Girls ? the source of that well-circulated clip of him performing ?Hollaback Girl." But, although he?s been weaning himself off substances in line with his recent 40th birthday, Bach turned down a chance to appear on Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew.

Besides, there?s only so many reality freakshows one needs to appear on when you?ve got W. Axl Rose planted in your corner.

The current chapter in Bach?s rock career was actually initiated when the other original members of Guns N? Roses called him in to audition for what became Velvet Revolver. The match didn?t work, leading Slash to lament the acrimony in his best-selling autobiography, even though they?ve patched things up since.

?He wrote something like, ?Too bad Sebastian doesn?t like me anymore,'? says Bach. ?It?s like, 'Dude, when I try out for your band and you don?t pick me it?s not like I?m going to call you to hang out.' After that, I was kinda ready to move on.?

The next suitor turned out to be Axl, preparing for the next leg of the never-ending tour overture to the release of Chinese Democracy ? he invited Bach onstage to duet on ?My Michelle? during warm-up shows in New York City.

?Next thing you know he was flying me around the world just to do this one song,? says Bach. ?It was like Led Zeppelin territory, where I go all the way to Milan just to sing 25 words. But, from that point, I was hooked.?

Touring the interstates in a van, as Bach did in the late 1990s ? when his musical associates included Kelley Deal of The Breeders, Jimmy Chamberlin of Smashing Pumpkins, and Jimmy Flemion of The Frogs in the short-lived Last Hard Men ? was no longer the ideal. Bach asked Rose if he could open for GN?R in arenas.

When it came to touring Canada in fall 2006, Bach had the idea of dragging the Trailer Park Boys along as a sideshow, and so he did.

?Then I see a review in the Toronto Sun that makes it sound like I?m the worst thing to ever happen in the history of music,? says Bach. ?Meanwhile, the only reason Axl is even on the road is because he?s watching me on a monitor backstage every night giving him motivation to do it, too.?

Rose returned the favour by appearing on three tracks on Angel Down, whose 2007 release date ? not to mention the fact that it?s not called Chinese Democracy ? means it can?t be redeemed for a free can of Dr. Pepper. Media attention for the album has generally leaned on metal webzines and online radio outlets. And while Rolling Stone, whose cover Bach graced in 1991, gave it a not-entirely-dismissive review, the Peterborough native still hasn?t gotten his well-deserved star on the Canadian Walk of Fame.

Then again, if his metal heroes Anvil had to wait a decade or three to get from the beer-soaked Gasworks stage to a red-carpet Hot Docs festival debut of their documentary this Thursday, it could take a while.

Bach?s generally unrequited love affair with Toronto has a long history ? while he?s lived in the same Redbank, NJ home since Skid Row?s peak, he spouts constant recall of Canadian culture high and low.

His father David Bierk, who died of cancer at age 58 in 2002, was a celebrated painter whose work David Watching ? an appropriation of several evocative influences ? was used as the cover art for Angel Down. Sebastian?s dad was born in Minnesota, but moved to Peterborough, where he produced landscape paintings while running that city?s Artspace, which drew many celebrated visitors.

?I remember when Christo came over for dinner one night,? recalls Bach. ?And my father was making tacos for him ? there weren?t too many other people in Peterborough who knew how to make Mexican food.?

Yet, despite the countercultural pedigree that influenced his kids, Sebastian?s dad had a conservative side ? enrolling him in Lakefield College School. Many years later, he was none too impressed when his son showed up on the cover of High Times, even if it was good enough for Willie Nelson.

Broadway gave Bach a new level of legitimacy that his father got to see just before his passing, but the accolades never reached north.

?I was on tour with Jesus Christ Superstar, in all these big American cities, and realized that Frank Sinatra got it wrong in ?New York, New York,'? says Bach. ?If I can make it there, I can make it anywhere ? except Toronto.?

He attests to the influence of Anvil, though, recalling hours spent hanging out at the Record Peddler?s original location on Queen Street East, waiting for the UK metal mags to come in: ?There?d be an interview with Lips from Anvil, and it would be 12 to 15 pages long ? every single word meticulously documented.

?They put a premium on really good sound, too. Lips never put himself on a pedestal ? he?d get fans smoking hash with the rest of the band.?

That era ended in 1993, with the closing of the original Gasworks club at Yonge near Wellesley, where Bach serenaded the wake with a set featuring Anvil tunes.

For a teenage Bach, who skipped a grade at Lakeview before dropping out to join the Toronto rock 'n' roll circus, this connection inspired him to follow his dream by age 14 after winning an audition to front a band called Kid Wikkid ? in return, he promised his dad he?d take singing lessons ? admitting that his 6'3" height helped get him mistaken for much older.

During that time on the Toronto hairspray scene, Bach met wife Maria, and they?re still together ? their 20-year-old son Paris is a drummer for two bands, another son London is 14, and their nine-month-old daughter Sebastiana Maria Chantal (?Tiana? for short) had her third name inspired by an old Goddo song.

?I never believed that having kids would tie me down to anything,? says Bach. ?Plus, my parents divorced when I was around 10, and that must?ve flipped a switch in my head that I would never end up divorced myself.?

Bach?s next decade of action will take him through Australia and Scandinavia prior to joining Dokken on the Poison tour ? which doesn?t have a Toronto date.

And how did Sebastian Bach spend the big four-oh on April 3? Back on Broadway, albeit in the audience ? he went to see Andrea Martin in Young Frankenstein, satisfying his fix as an SCTV fanatic.

But, just like he has no answer about when Chinese Democracy is coming out, Bach isn?t into getting philosophical about the cultural paradigm he?s still part of.

?My dad woke up every day and painted a picture and that?s all he ever wanted to do,? says Bach. ?I wake up in the morning and I rock.?

Source - http://www.eyeweekly.com/city/scrollingeye/article/24162

HBK *

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Axl4eva
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 02:03:47 AM »

WOW
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 02:10:36 AM »

lol..I'm sure he is a big reason for it..like Axl said at the 2006 VMA's "I HAD TO BE CONVINCED TO GET OFF MY BUTT AND COME OUT HERE AND DO THIS"...I kind of believe it!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 02:11:28 AM »

He really needs to learn to shut up sometimes.  He keeps shit like that up, Axl is gonna remember why he went over a decade without talking to him.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 02:23:02 AM »

Axl gets inspiration to tour from Sebastian Bach's singing? headscratch

Fuck 'Em All.
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 02:28:28 AM »

Baz is Sincere .. That is Good. Best is to change speeches from time to time, like others.

Tongue Tongue Tongue

HBK *

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 05:13:51 AM »

He really needs to learn to shut up sometimes.  He keeps shit like that up, Axl is gonna remember why he went over a decade without talking to him.

A lot of the time, you need to learn that trait.
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 06:07:57 AM »

I love Baz, im actually going to go see him next week when he does his australian tour,

but sometimes when I see he has made a comment about gnr, before I read it, I start to cringe,
hes comments can go both ways, and can be interpreted as one way when he might of ment the other...

hes just a very enthusiastic and loyal guy, so I give him credit for that,
but at the same token, even if have a very well known/famous friend such as Axl,
you can go easy on the praise  hihi

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 06:23:14 AM »

Good thing we have Baz to keep Axl going. Whatever.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
gunns1
Legend

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 06:37:26 AM »

I love Baz, im actually going to go see him next week when he does his australian tour,

but sometimes when I see he has made a comment about gnr, before I read it, I start to cringe,
hes comments can go both ways, and can be interpreted as one way when he might of ment the other...

hes just a very enthusiastic and loyal guy, so I give him credit for that,
but at the same token, even if he has a very well known/famous friend such as Axl,
you can go easy on the praise  hihi

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
guns_n_motley
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 06:42:01 AM »

its not hard to believe that axl gets SOME inspiration from Baz....people are making way too much out of this statement.....Baz is axls best friend...wouldnt be too far fetched that he would pump up axl before he goes onstage...
gunns1
Legend

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 06:45:54 AM »

its not hard to believe that axl gets SOME inspiration from Baz....people are making way too much out of this statement.....Baz is axls best friend...wouldnt be too far fetched that he would pump up axl before he goes onstage...

?Then I see a review in the Toronto Sun that makes it sound like I?m the worst thing to ever happen in the history of music,? says Bach. ?Meanwhile, the only reason Axl is even on the road is because he?s watching me on a monitor backstage every night giving him motivation to do it, too.?

I didnt know that Axl had a live stream of baz's opening in his Jet and/or Tour bus?

considering Axl usually gets to the arena sometimes just a few minutes before hes on...

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 06:48:36 AM »

People are focusing on one little detail instead of seeing the big picture.

It's not that weird to try to be better than the opening act. Of course it can motivate you if you have a kick ass opening act.

The opening act wants to show everybody there that they should be headlining and the headlining act wants to show why they're wrong.

It's also pretty apparent that Axl has helped Baz out tremendously since May 2006.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 08:22:17 AM »

Baz has an ego, which is good in this business, I'm not into his music that much but I think he's entertaining, but to say that Axl is on the road due to him is a bit much

libertad
gunns1
Legend

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 08:39:37 AM »

Baz has an ego, which is good in this business, I'm not into his music that much but I think he's entertaining, but to say that Axl is on the road due to him is a bit much

Baz has an ego, which is good in this business, I'm not into his music that much but I think he's entertaining, but to say that Baz is on the road due to Axl is a True

fixed  Tongue

russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 08:57:03 AM »

It's also pretty apparent that Axl has helped Baz out tremendously since May 2006.

/jarmo

Right. Not the other way around.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
gunns1
Legend

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 09:08:15 AM »

Im not going to turn this into an Axl verse baz thread,

but really, axl has done so much for baz, hes put him in the limelight and basically restarted his career infront of hundreds of thousands of people around the world, Baz could never be any more thankful for the man, and baz could never repay axl for this, but he could stay a loyal friend and not say things that may be interpreted by the general public as taking a stab at Axl...

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 09:52:32 AM »

Baz interviews always seem to come across like he uses the same online language translator as HBK.  confused

You kinda sorta think maybe you get the gist of what he's trying to say but you can never really be too sure.  hihi

.....Baz is axls best friend...
I thought that I was Axl's best friend.  Cry

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
savedsol
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 10:50:33 AM »

Let's not forget the integrity of the reporting. I know we'd all love to believe in 100% accuracy of complete quotes being used in context.  Roll Eyes
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 11:18:23 AM »

I think the axl on the road because of him line is meant be a joke.
why people are getting at it?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: